Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Manzo's bill targets gangs' recruiting of kids
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Bill targets gangs' recruiting of kids

Saturday, March 10, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Legislation that would make recruiting for street gangs a crime with stiff penalties is making its way through the state Legislature - and a Hudson County assemblyman says he believes it will become law within 90 days.

"Gangs are the most pressing crime issue right now in New Jersey, if not the nation," said Assemblyman Louis Manzo, D-Jersey City, a sponsor of the bill.

Manzo said members of street gangs recruit juveniles and "face no penalty at all."

The measure would make recruiting minors to join street gangs for the purpose of committing crimes an offense punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $150,000. The legislation also includes penalties for recruiting adults, recruiting in jail, and using threats or violence in recruiting.

The measure has cleared the Assembly, and on Monday, the Senate Law and Public Safety and Veterans Affairs Committee approved it for a vote by the full Senate, which could happen next week.

Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said the legislation is a positive step and well intended - but won't be easy to prosecute.

"I think it's an attempt to reduce membership solicitation into criminal street gangs, but it goes beyond just trying to recruit someone into a gang," he said. "You have to show that the person was recruited to specifically engage in criminal activity. Recruitment into gang membership, of itself, would not be sufficient to prove this crime. That's the way I read it."

The gang recruiting measure is co-sponsored by Assemblyman Brian P. Stack, D-Union City.

Posted on: 2007/3/10 15:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017