Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: I.M. Pei in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

We want restored historic buildings that create attractive destination neighborhoods, a means to travel the neighborhood other than the automobile, and housing that will integrate well with the surroundings in JC.

Fixed.

LOL, JPhurst.

Actually, I have to say that in a sense I agree with you. In the absence of strong urban planning from the City, and in the presence of many aggressive developers (JC is currently a goldmine for them), a grass-roots opposition (even if sometimes a bit extreme in my view), creates a counter-balance to the developer offensive and the impotence of JC urban planners.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Check some of the data on the traffic study website, I believe that even with the most optimistic scenario, JC's excess commercial / office space will not be absorbed within a decade or more.

Right now we have 1/2 a pie (or Pei) with the existing GS tower. Since the redevelopment plan was changed during one of the all day summer council meetings up on King Dr. (at the same time as the 111 settlement's redevelopment plan changes) I do not remember well, but these renderings may only satisfy requirements of the changes to the GS plan.

Now that GS reconfigured the developement plan including the elimination of the pubic atrium, do not be surprised if they flip the property or it ends up as residential.

I'll put up two cents that this design will not be built.

Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
With Manhattan commercial real estate bursting at the seams it is only a matter of time.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

We want restored historic buildings that create attractive destination neighborhoods, a means to travel the neighborhood other than the automobile, and housing that will integrate well with the surroundings in JC.

Fixed.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
actually old warehouses and bicycles sound like a liveable neighborhood to me, so you are definitely speaking about me, though I think we are referring to high density or higher density.....not everything, everywhere....

Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
Ah, the hell with Koolhaas and Pei.

We want old warehouses, bicycles, and low-density housing in JC.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 18:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I.M. Pei designed the J&J headquarters in New Brunswick. It also incorporates some green into the design, which wasn't there before Pei started.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
No prob, we cool.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
bd - my bad.

I misunderstood your comments regarding green.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Can't wait until 2015 when all the old farts are on jc list complaining about the new GS building :)

Well OK. Hope you can find something to occupy your time between now and then.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 22:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

Isn't Liberty State Park in Jersey City?

Isn't it 1,100 acres of green?

I don't think that the state park, a flat meadow of grass, is where the building we are discussing will be built.

Not trying to bust your balls or start a fight but the reference I was making was to IBM's headquarters in Armonk, NY, designed by Pei, which is beautifully integrated into the surrounding forest and hills. I probably should have made some clearer references and / or linked to some pics.

Well, there's always the open terraces that will be integrated into the rooftops of the Koolhaas building.

Best future sign at 111 First - NO DOG FRISBEE ALLOWED!

Posted on: 2007/3/5 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
Didn't Pei design the Javitz Centre?

EWWWW.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

I don't think that the state park, a flat meadow of grass, is where the building we are discussing will be built.

Not trying to bust your balls or start a fight but the reference I was making was to IBM's headquarters in Armonk, NY, designed by Pei, which is beautifully integrated into the surrounding forest and hills. I probably should have made some clearer references and / or linked to some pics.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:

Of course, by the time this happens JC'll have nothing green except the content of I-Bankers' wallets for Pei to work with anyway...

I wouldn't be surprised if, counting the LSP, Jersey City had a very decent amount of total park space per city area among densely populated US cities.

Anybody got stats?

Posted on: 2007/3/5 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
IBM HQ in Armonk is absolutely stunning piece of work.

Of course, by the time this happens JC'll have nothing green except the content of I-Bankers' wallets for Pei to work with anyway...

Posted on: 2007/3/5 22:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/12 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Can't wait until 2015 when all the old farts are on jc list complaining about the new GS building :)

Pei will be 98 in 2015. I don't think he can wait either.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users

More on Pei:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I._M._Pei

The bank of China building in Hong Kong is one of my favorite sky scrapers

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Bank_of_China.html

http://www.greatbuildings.com/architects/I._M._Pei.html

Posted on: 2007/3/5 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Jersey City lures another world famous architect

Already the planned home of a Rem Koolhaas designed building at 111 First St., Jersey City may also become host to a design by world famous architect I.M. Pei.

Pei, the famed Chinese-born architect who designed the pyramid entrances at the Louvre Museum in Paris, has designed the second Goldman Sachs tower. That building will not go up until the current Goldman Sachs building is full.

"Developers and cities are realizing that architects have the power to draw attention, international attention, to their location. That was true in Milwaukee, and in Bilbao, and it's going to be true in Jersey City,'' said Robert Ivy, editor-in-chief of the Architectural Record, referring to Santiago Calatrava's Milwaukee Art Museum and Frank Gehry's design for the Guggenheim Museum in Spain.

Associated Press

Key waffle clause in the above report is in bold.

With Manhattan commercial real estate bursting at the seams it is only a matter of time.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Cool-ass, I am Pee? What's up with these architect names? Do they do this on purpose?

Posted on: 2007/3/5 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:

Already the planned home of a Rem Koolhaas designed building at 111 First St., Jersey City may also become host to a design by world famous architect I.M. Pei.

Pei, the famed Chinese-born architect who designed the pyramid entrances at the Louvre Museum in Paris, has designed the second Goldman Sachs tower. That building will not go up until the current Goldman Sachs building is full.

"Developers and cities are realizing that architects have the power to draw attention, international attention, to their location. That was true in Milwaukee, and in Bilbao, and it's going to be true in Jersey City,'' said Robert Ivy, editor-in-chief of the Architectural Record, referring to Santiago Calatrava's Milwaukee Art Museum and Frank Gehry's design for the Guggenheim Museum in Spain.

Associated Press

Key waffle clause in the above report is in bold.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 21:28
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Ah, the hell with Koolhaas and Pei.

We want old warehouses, bicycles, and low-density housing in JC.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 21:27

I.M. Pei in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Associated Press

Posted on: 2007/3/5 21:24

New 30-story Goldman Sachs tower approved - Community concerns over noise & lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
New 30-story Goldman Sachs tower approved
Planning Board hears concerns over office building

Ricardo Kaulessar
Hudson Reporter staff writer 09/29/2006

ADVOCATING FOR 50 HUDSON ? Goldman Sachs executive Timor Galen speaks on 50 Hudson St at a Jersey City Planning Board meeting on Sept. 19.
The Jersey City Planning Board at its meeting on Sept. 19 approved a 30-story office tower by the financial firm Goldman Sachs of 50 Hudson St.

They also approved a public plaza between that new building and Goldman Sachs' existing 30 Hudson St. building.

The new building will be approximately 500 feet high, with 918,956 square feet including 21,380 sq. ft. of retail.

Originally, the building was planned for only 185 feet, but changes to the Colgate Redevelopment Plan, in which the proposed 50 Hudson St. building sits, were approved at the Planning Board's Aug. 16 meeting.

Residents concerned about communication

However, the Planning Board's approval, while unanimous, was anything but overwhelming. They heard a number of residents also aired their concerns over Goldman Sachs not meeting enough with the community.

Gerry Bakirtjy, president of the Historic Paulus Hook Association (HPHA), a Downtown Jersey City neighborhood group, said while the HPHA supported past Goldman Sachs projects, the association could not support this one.

Bakirtjy said the residents had concerns about the type of outdoor lighting to be used for the proposed plaza, how security will be handled at the proposed plaza, and noise from generators at the building.

Other residents called for changes to the electrical and mechanical systems in the building to cut down on noise.

Dorcey Winant, another Paulus Hook resident, requested that the Planning Board put off voting for the project until a future meeting for the community to study the plans for the project further.

Goldman Sachs executive Timor Galen said in the meeting that he would work with the residents to tend to most of the issues, but felt the changes to the electrical and mechanical systems would be difficult.

Galen said the project would be on a five-year schedule because of the "complexity" of the project.

The Planning Board called for Goldman Sachs to meet with the community when they are ready to construct the building's electrical and mechanical aspects.

The board also called for other conditions to be met by Goldman Sachs before construction is completed, such as providing samples of the materials to be used for construction. They also told Goldman Sachs to come back before the Planning Board before construction officially starts to review their site plan.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2006/9/30 13:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017