Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: What kind of neighborhood is the Heights in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
hello neighbor, i live on prospect.... it's okay around here, just be careful walking around at night on baldwin ave, palisade, or central.... i was born and raised here and have seen the neighborhood transition so many times, right now a lot of buildings are going condo so there are a lot more working class folks in this area. i think you'll like it, especially the convenience of things being open late and the public transportation if you use it.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 8:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I live by Pershing Field now and spent two years in Brooklyn. The heights compared to "other boros" is incredibly safe and civilized. I've never felt unsafe. Occasional inconveniences happen, but you might notice that the Heights is one of the VERY FEW parts of JC where no one has bars on their street-level windows.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 5:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
yeah, 'cause italy's paradise?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18028075

you're right! he'd fit right in in the heights!

snap!

Posted on: 2008/2/1 5:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
The Heights from Ogden to Central from Faklin to Congress is a nicer part of the Heights and has easy transporation to Manhattan and Hoboken.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
I drove through with a friend from Italy. He was quiet for a bit, and then said "You know, this place is very terrifying. There is something wrong with this place."

This was on JFK heading toward Union City.

For what it's worth.

Your Italian friend needs to get out more.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/2/1 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
I drove through with a friend from Italy. He was quiet for a bit, and then said "You know, this place is very terrifying. There is something wrong with this place."

This was on JFK heading toward Union City.

For what it's worth.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Depends where on Beacon Avenue. Yeah, there is too much aluminum siding and a few "Mary on the half-shell" ornaments in front of some properties, but it's convenient to NYC and Hoboken.

I was away from Jersey City for ten years and came back recently. I must admit that the Heights has shown a lot of "quality of life" improvements in some areas.

Nice to hear from CapnJon that there is a sense of community near Congress and New York Avenue.

Hey Shad

Away for ten years ?, I guess the JUDGE was kinda harsh on ya ?, Maybe if you had prayed to "Mary on the Half-shell" it would have been a lighter sentence......

CK

Posted on: 2008/2/1 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I grew up around the block from Beacon ave, and it was allways a pretty nice neighborhood.If yr closer to central and summit its kinda quite as opposed to near Palisade ave.

Nonetheless, good luck and enjoy the neighborhood .

Rgds
CK

Posted on: 2008/2/1 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Beacon is not considered a prime area of the heights, but that's a moving target these days anyway. It does have the nice advantage of being walking distance to the Journal Sq PATH and the Pershing Field Park. Also, if you stick around long enough the reservoir is slated to be turned into a nature park. You are within walking distance of all the shopping and restaurants on Central Ave, Journal Sq and even a little further, Downtown.

Relax. It may not ultimately be your taste, but it likely won't be a disaster unless you luck into neighbors from hell, but that can happen anywhere. My new Downtown neighbors threw a keg party last week, shouting and singing drinking songs outdoors till all hours. You don't have to be a poor to be an asshole.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Depends where on Beacon Avenue. Yeah, there is too much aluminum siding and a few "Mary on the half-shell" ornaments in front of some properties, but it's convenient to NYC and Hoboken.

I was away from Jersey City for ten years and came back recently. I must admit that the Heights has shown a lot of "quality of life" improvements in some areas.

Nice to hear from CapnJon that there is a sense of community near Congress and New York Avenue.

Posted on: 2008/2/1 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
my wife and i have lived in the heights for years now - new york ave near congress - and we love it.

when we moved in it was a bit noisy - but we're friends now with all the neighbors, and together we all got rid of the troublemakers who used to hang out on our street. the police are very responsive, friendly, and cooperative in our district.

we have a great amount of space, parking, a yard... and we're steps from hoboken and transportation... heck, we love it so much, we've even talked friends into moving to the heights.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 23:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/12 23:21
Group:
Registered Users
single girls wouldnt want to live there.

single guys or a couple looking to save on rent and get some decent space close enough to the city ?????? depends what is important to you.

The heights tries to be normal ......... never actually makes the cutoff.

too much aluminum siding.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 23:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Beacon Ave is a little noisy but most of the Heights is pretty nice and residential.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 22:50

What kind of neighborhood is the Heights in Jersey City?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/2 22:57
Group:
Registered Users
Hello, I hope I'm not making a big mistake, but I am moving to Jersey City in about a month. I have an apartment in the Heights on Beacon ave. Does anyone have an opinion of that neighborhood. Thank yo in advance.

Posted on: 2008/1/31 22:47

Re: JC Heights - Safety?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/1 17:18
From jc heights
Group:
Registered Users
HI there. Just wanted to respond about Heights day care and schools. We are in the Heights and send our 1 year old Hank to Baby Einstein Learning Center on Webster and Ferry and are happy with it. I know other parents (with toddlers) have had some issues with staff there but we like the place. It seems to be far superior to the other day care centers I have checked out in the neighborhood.

There is a new pre-school that just opened on Central across from Washington Park called Park Prep or something like that. The space is great, curriculum/activities seem awesome and the two women that run it are recent Bank Street graduates. They mentioned that they plan to open a (private) elementary school in three years.

I also know a few Heights parents who are really happy with St. Anns for k-12.

We would prefer to send our son to public school in the Heights when he reaches school age but it's nice to know there might be options if the public schools aren't promising.

Posted on: 2007/2/23 17:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/14 17:06
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know too much about the quality of the public schools, but it seems like most of my neigbors (many are fairly recent transplants from Hoboken) have their kids (elementary school age) in some kind of private or charter school in Hoboken (I THINK JC kids can go to the Hoboken charter schools--someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think this is mostly a perception of the quality of the heights public schools rather than actual knowledge of how good or bad they are. By the same token, the few younger kids I know are in daycares in downtown JC or Hoboken, not the daycares in the heights, even though those may be fine for all I know.

If these families stay in the area until their kids reach high-school age, I think they are hoping for McNair, otherwise they will put the kid in a private or parochial school . . .

Posted on: 2007/2/23 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
CK - obviously i respect your opinion as a generational local, but, my family is from here too (dad born at Christ Hospital) - and they asked "Why?" when my wife and i moved up the hill..... having said that, they were blown away at the improvement of the area (physically and visually) when they've come to visit....

and we haven't had any problems at all, save some noisy kids....

anyhoo -

welcome to the neighborhood! if you like beer and rock and roll, we'll see you around. if not, we'll probably still see you around... funny how small this big town is...

Posted on: 2007/2/23 5:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Firstly , welcome to the Heights .

I grew in the heights and can say without any doubt that it has changed greatly and not for the better .

I know theres an upswing and a Building boom going on in the Heights, but to compare the element now VS while I was growing up is to compare a Chevy to a ferrari..I.E. NO comparison at all .

Just hope things continue to improve .

Good Luck

ck

Posted on: 2007/2/22 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

workerbee2 wrote:

Welcome to the neighborhood--hope you decided to uphold the contract. It is nice to hear about new moms in the heights--there are a lot of parents on my street but many of their kids are school-age.

Have you heard anything about P.S. 27, P.S. 28 or the other public schools in the Heights? Do you have any sense that the neighbors who care about education are going to try sending their kids to the public schools up there, or are they all sending their kids to private schools?

Sorry if you know the schools there are great and think this question is hilarious, but I find it's really rare that I meet people who even have a friend of a friend with a kid at any public schools other than P.S. 16 (Bradford, in Paulus Hook) and Learning Community Charter School.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 20:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/14 17:06
Group:
Registered Users
It is block-by-block but you should be fine pretty much anywhere in the heights during the day.

I live in the heights and also have a young baby--when I was on maternity leave I walked to Central Ave. often (I live on Ogden) and never had any problems--except women would stop and ask how much my stroller cost! (It was one of the more expensive-type ones). Now I'm back at work and my nanny goes out every day around the heights.

Welcome to the neighborhood--hope you decided to uphold the contract. It is nice to hear about new moms in the heights--there are a lot of parents on my street but many of their kids are school-age.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Not to frighten you but this will be your walk home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BiT2gsqdY4

Good luck and do not let the corruption , lousy school system and crime get you down

I almost forgot taxes are going up!!!!

Posted on: 2007/2/18 18:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/6/12 21:49
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Buy a gun. Your going to need it.

Posted on: 2007/2/18 1:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/20 13:44
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to the heights.

Posted on: 2007/2/18 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
There are dysfunctional individuals, people and families.

In todays day and age we now have dysfunctional neighborhoods and government bodies.

Tomorrow we will have dysfunctional cities, states and nations..............or are we there already?

Its not the neighborhood that's dysfunctional, its the people in it!

Posted on: 2007/2/17 13:31
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 20:03
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I hope you love it in the Heights. We bought on the corner of Webster/Hutton back in 99 and like it here alot. It has it's rough spots and it's definitely city dwelling so you gotta be aware of your surroundings, but it's gotten so much better in the last 8 years and we look forward to seeing it through the next years to come.

There are alot of great people up here...families, singles, everything...Alot of owner occupied homes that really do care about the neighborhood. Unfortunately the streets are still pretty dirty and can look rough sometimes, but we're doing alot to correct that.

Welcome to the neighborhood! There are a couple organisations (historical, neighborhood watch, etc) around here you might want to become part of and you can always join us at the Community garden in Fisk park in the Spring (well there are a couple evil ones in there too...but...) =)

Really welcome...you'll love it I think!

Posted on: 2007/2/17 8:26
...Sometimes I Bleed

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Hello fellow Mom!

I really think Webster has come a long way. I used to live on Sherman Avenue between Griffith and Bowers back in 2000. There are so many great people in the area including some new moms like yourself.

As a co-founder of the Downtown JC Neighborhood Watch, I still agree with the former poster that sometimes its best not to follow the crime statistics unless you have been a victim or have specific crime issues on your block like drug dealing. I don't like to alarm people unnecessarily especially new moms (that sensitivity meter really goes up!)

For connecting with other moms in your neighborhood, check out www.jcfijc.org which is a family organization with a yahoo group board. You will find the support you need in your new home. They will also be hosting their annual Family Stir Crazy event on Sunday, March 4th, at the Golden Charter School.

Hope to see you!

Posted on: 2007/2/17 5:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/15 23:33
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
We moved in nearer Pershing Field in August. The crime, so far, has not affected us. The occasional noisy car stereo is about it. Signing for a home is always nerve wracking. You have made a good decision to come here - amenities, daycare, transport and as of yesterday the reservoir will be preserved and improved. That has to be a good thing for a child to grow up near. (Also Pershing Field has indoor swimming and swim classes.)

And I have been fine walking at night, no trouble.

Enjoy the Heights.

Posted on: 2007/2/17 2:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/21 16:22
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I live five blocks from there, and yes, it is "pretty" safe -- by city standards. (You've chosen to live in a city, and surely you know that there is no urban neighborhood in this city, state or country that is 100 percent safe, especially at night.) I don't expect you will have any problems running errands during the daytime, though. My wife and I raised a child on Palisade Avenue, certain sections of which have been trouble spots, but we personally never had any problems with street crime.

Posted on: 2007/2/17 2:56
Trying to catch a cloud with a butterfly net in the breeze

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Sometimes you are better off not reading forums. If you read forums pertaining to the village, upper east side nyc etc you would find there is crime everywhere there are people.

I live in the heights. Its coming along nicely. there is crime in all parts of city including downtown JC and yes hoboken. Its relatively safe for a city. The heights has a good neighborhood watch. Better than hoboken.

I lived in hoboken for 5 years. My car was stolen from my parking lot in a luxury building.

Also I grew up in westchester NY suburbs and the city life is relatively new to me.

You made the right choice. It is best value in the area. Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2007/2/17 1:12

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017