Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Victory Hall seeks new home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:
You could call it the FAB PAD, and it might suggest some synergystic connection with the Powerhouse Arts District. I'm liking this!

And ten minutes later there'd be a 40 story luxury condo going up.

Posted on: 2007/2/17 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
That psychedelic / boheium look just doesn't do it for me at all.

Posted on: 2007/2/17 18:50
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
You could call it the FAB PAD, and it might suggest some synergystic connection with the Powerhouse Arts District. I'm liking this!

FAB, I think Binky is on to something big here. This could be a whole new chapter in your life, like you've never dared dream of. This could be bigger than Warhol's Factory. It could be you on that couch fatboy.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/2/17 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/2/17 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Hey FAB,
You've got a 2,800 sq.ft. loft, as I recall. Ever think of using it to host art events? The art scene is always looking to expand beyond downtown. You could open up for studio tour,too. Great way to meet babes. Think on that for a minute or two.

It's not a bad idea, I've only built a low height partition where the bike and truck park and tall (7 foot) partitions that don't make the ceiling where my bedroom, kitchen and bathroom is. My goal is to construct something that resembles the apartment from the movie 'Big Daddy' but on a slightly bigger scale.

The idea has some merits and could be rewarding, but my home is my castle and sanctuary.

Posted on: 2007/2/17 15:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Hey FAB,
You've got a 2,800 sq.ft. loft, as I recall. Ever think of using it to host art events? The art scene is always looking to expand beyond downtown. You could open up for studio tour,too. Great way to meet babes. Think on that for a minute or two.

Posted on: 2007/2/17 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Why not use the Sand Bar during winter to host art shows, meetings, conferences, plays etc.
Excellent parking and its never used in winter.

Posted on: 2007/2/17 14:55

Victory Hall seeks new home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Victory Hall seeks new home

Saturday, February 17, 2007
By JARRETT RENSHAW
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Victory Hall, one of the most celebrated cultural venues in the city's recent history, will stop hosting events come fall to make room for the expanding Our Lady of Czestochowa School.

"It has been a great ride, and it's sad to see the space go, but we are going to be looking for new space," said Christine Goodman, artistic director for Art House Productions, which has helped sponsor a number of events at the hall over the years, from plays to monthly open mic nights.

The 103-year-old Victory Hall building on Grand Street is owned by the OLC Church, which leased the space to various arts groups since 1998, reflecting the school's enrollment and the pastor's passion for supporting culture.

However, much has changed for the Downtown school.

Four years ago, OLC had an enrollment of 175 students between its preschool program, called Little Harbor Academy, and its grade school. This year, the school boasts an enrollment of 280 students, with most of the increase generated by the preschool program.

The school plans to use the top floor of the building - which was the art space - as an auditorium and use the bottom two floors for preschool classrooms, said officials.

The trend and its impact is bittersweet for Father Tom Iwanowski, who also sits on the board of Victory Hall Inc., the nonprofit organization that helps promote, support and facilitate events at the center.

"It is something that is needed in the area and it was a way for the church to support the arts, but when faced with the decision between the school or the cultural center, we had to choose the school.

"It was easy to support the cultural center when the space wasn't needed," he added. "We have put more emphasis on the early childhood portion of the program, and we are anticipating that growth will move to the upper grades."

The lease for Victory Hall Inc. expires this fall, giving it and other groups some time to celebrate the remaining time and to look for new space, a task that is much more difficult given today's real estate market.

The church has given the group permission to use the name Victory Hall at its new location if, and when, that happens.

"We are going to explore different places, perhaps in local charter schools for the short term and the Powerhouse Arts District in the long term," said Downtown Councilman Steve Fulop. "While it's sad to lose the space, it's great to hear more parents opting to stay in Jersey City."

James Pustorino, managing director for Victory Hall Inc., said he is optimistic about the future.

"The arts center wouldn't have existed without the head of the parish spearheading the need for it," said Pustorino. "We have to say thanks for giving us the start, but it's now time for us to move on and hopefully we can bring all our partnerships along with us."

Posted on: 2007/2/17 14:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017