Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Spokeswoman moonlights for builders
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/3 15:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
i worked in PR for years before (and while) attending Law School, and lay persons have a really warped idea of what publicists do. They handle presentation of a client to the press/media. They do not advise on policy. They get handed situations, both good and bad, and are responsible for dressing those situations up in the best possible light for the client. Whether that client is Rosie O'Donnell or Jerry Healy. Or Exeter Properties.

Best possible light for which client? Serving two masters?

Quote:

Speaking of which, Rosie and Barbara Walters, for a time on two sides of a public "battle" over at the View, share a publicist, Cindi Berger at PMK-HBH. She works like a dog, and the media doesn't have a problem with her handling both parties.

View schmiew. This is the Mayor and his staff, who serve the taxpaying public.

Quote:

As far as the "appearance of impropriety" goes, if we have to choose our battles, (and in JC we do), I'm all for choosing to take on ACTUAL impropriety. Of which there is no shortage.

I guess it's easier to argue theism or eschatology than public officials' conflict of interest. Big stories start with small ones.

Quote:

Also, please show me all of the other properties in the Hamilton Park area, historic or modern, with frontal exterior green space.

How big a 'green roof' will be needed to offset the Holland Tunnel traffic and the jet exhaust from EWK? It's just more spin. I'd rather have an end to litter than a eco-condo. And I think one job for anybody in the public sector is enough.

I guess it's just 'the Fog of Development'

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/1/18 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clam wrote:

From the short time that I have been in JC I can see how easily city officials make it for developers to define our neighborhoods as well as how lazy and inefficent our city offices are. I do support Civic JC & Mr. Fulop for attempting to help turn this around by introducing the Pay to Play Reform.

clam: ummm... do you support the Friends of Hamilton Park, maker of gardens, creator of the farmers market.. for all that is seen and unseen?

Posted on: 2007/1/18 7:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
i worked in PR for years before (and while) attending Law School, and lay persons have a really warped idea of what publicists do. They handle presentation of a client to the press/media. They do not advise on policy. They get handed situations, both good and bad, and are responsible for dressing those situations up in the best possible light for the client. Whether that client is Rosie O'Donnell or Jerry Healy. Or Exeter Properties.

Speaking of which, Rosie and Barbara Walters, for a time on two sides of a public "battle" over at the View, share a publicist, Cindi Berger at PMK-HBH. She works like a dog, and the media doesn't have a problem with her handling both parties.

As far as the "appearance of impropriety" goes, if we have to choose our battles, (and in JC we do), I'm all for choosing to take on ACTUAL impropriety. Of which there is no shortage.

Also, please show me all of the other properties in the Hamilton Park area, historic or modern, with frontal exterior green space.

Posted on: 2007/1/18 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

seki wrote:

At the seminar, I was told that they are doing green roof on St. Francis.

So that is where the childrens garden for the private pre-school kiddies will be doing their gardening. And here I thought they were going to use a chunk of public Hamilton Park. Silly me.

Posted on: 2007/1/18 3:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

curtis_luvva wrote:
"The appearance of impropriety means that an ordinary person, without knowledge of the facts, would assume that something he/she saw or heard was inappropriate or a violation of a rule/regulation. The appearance of impropriety only applies if the wrongdoing does not violate a specific law/rule/regulation."

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/defense_ethics/ethics_regulation/2635/

Was Halliburton contracted to draft that particular milspec?

Posted on: 2007/1/18 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I would have been more interested in this thread if the heading read SPOKESWOMAN MOONS BUILDERS.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 23:55
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/2/3 14:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Minnie wrote:

A city event paid for by the Silvermans and set up by the Mayor's press secretary. How cute!

I wonder how many people that attended were able to figure out that this is a "cozy" partnership between the two parties involved. The Mayor wants us to think they're really interested in "green" buildings and the Silvermans want to sell condo's. I hope the food was at least good.

The Silvermans were not interested in putting a green roof on the St. Francis Hospital and the Mayor could give two hoots about green unless it's turf inside a ballfield.

If any other developer that does business in Jersey City wishes to hire Moonlighting Maria... they had better be prepared to take some shots from residents.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the green building seminar since I bought a home at Schroeder Lofts. There were well over 100 people and the speakers were brilliant, especially George Hawkins, the Director of NJ Future. I applaud the Silvermans for organizing this seminar. No one else is doing it. Schroeder has many 'green' elements which I like and also, the courtyard between Schroeder and the rental building (I forgot the name - Park something) will be landscaped according to the plan. At the seminar, I was told that they are doing green roof on St. Francis. Mimi, where are you getting your info? AND of course, they want to sell condos, duh.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 21:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/3 15:05
Group:
Registered Users
I suppose being a diabetic drinker, a patron of the double dipping and dean to the dirty dealing developers du jour, means you can't / don't understand the following:

"The appearance of impropriety means that an ordinary person, without knowledge of the facts, would assume that something he/she saw or heard was inappropriate or a violation of a rule/regulation. The appearance of impropriety only applies if the wrongdoing does not violate a specific law/rule/regulation."

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/defense_ethics/ethics_regulation/2635/

If a public employee stands to personally profit from side work involving people/firms with active business before the administration, who also stand to profit from said business, well, how does that appear to the ordinary person? Any conflict there? Possibly?

"Sorry, Mr. Mayor, can't advise you on this, gottta recuse myself, this company has been Very good to me, I'll just NOT DO MY JOB for a little while, sure, you can dock my pay!"

Posted on: 2007/1/17 20:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/10 19:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Do the words "influence peddling" mean anything to you?

By the way, I didn't catch the name of the developer YOU work for...

And, as regards to developers responsible for green space, please point out to me the green spaces the developers have set aside down at Newport.

1. My point in my original post was about the importance of this topic versus the "influence peddling" and outright political corruption that takes place regularly in this City and is overlooked. There must be 100 better examples of this otherwise we would be living in a much more efficient City. This particular case seems like an easy target, without any proven direct consequences only a vague paranoia that Ms. Pignatario may have some personal interest in the Silverman's projects.

2. I assure you I do not work for a developer. I am however concerned about global warming and was relieved to see that there was a conference for Jersey City that would focus on solutions to this issue. This really should be of interest to anyone who is well read and understands the issues... Or is all of this City too caught up in mud throwing and finger pointing to work together and find solutions to this??

3. Who said developers were responsible for green space? This is exactly the opposite of what I was saying. My point is that there are very few developers that DO seem to care about anything other than building cheap, cookie-cutter condo's (ie: Newport). I am happy that the Silverman's were willing to help support this event and that they are progressive enough to take the lead on this issue, they didn't have to and because of all of this bad press they may not again.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clam wrote:

If anyone would like to explain a point of view that is a little bit more in depth and less vague than "it stinks" or "it's too cozy" I would be happy to hear it.

Do the words "influence peddling" mean anything to you?

By the way, I didn't catch the name of the developer YOU work for...

And, as regards to developers responsible for green space, please point out to me the green spaces the developers have set aside down at Newport.

Thanks in advance.

-M

Posted on: 2007/1/17 19:30
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Again, I say who cares if they are trying to sell condos, that is what they do. No secret there. And at least they are trying to make an effort - marketing angle or not I am glad that they are thinking along the lines of being more environmentally friendly. We have a serious number of buildings going up in a 10 year period and these building will be around for 50+ years. I am happy that at least a few of them are with it enough to think about energy efficiency and recycled/eco friendly materials. The comment that there is no green space around the property is silly - I mean, isn't Scroeder Lofts just a block away from Hamilton Park??

From the short time that I have been in JC I can see how easily city officials make it for developers to define our neighborhoods as well as how lazy and inefficent our city offices are. I do support Civic JC & Mr. Fulop for attempting to help turn this around by introducing the Pay to Play Reform.

But this not what we are talking about - and I guess I am still not sure why it matters that the press secretary to the mayor (who makes no decisions on legislation, ordinances, etc.) is working with a developer? Especially if there is no law or secrets about it. If anyone would like to explain a point of view that is a little bit more in depth and less vague than "it stinks" or "it's too cozy" I would be happy to hear it.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
At the next election, drag your ass out of bed and VOTE if you want change

This administration is in place because the majority of voters wanted Healy in office - you can't whin now.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 14:15
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As Dan Levin stated, the relationship is too cozy and I agree with his statement. The Jersey Journal ran the article to make people aware of the relationship.

The Silvermans are not the only developers investing in Jersey City. Furthermore, they build plum out to the sidewalk and offer NO landscaping around their projects. The Schroeder Lofts is a good example of this. I personally don't think the "eco friendly" label applies here and think it's more about marketing and selling condos.

As long as Ms. Pignataro remains the press secretary for the Mayor of Jersey City, she should not be taking jobs for any Jersey City developers, period.

For the record, I like the Silvermans, but the link to the Mayor's press secretary stinks!

Posted on: 2007/1/17 14:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why is this town so quick to look for the negative??? It drives me mad. I mean, who really cares if the Silverman's paid for the Sustainable Jersey City event? Hey, at least the funds didn't come from the city. And why can't there be an ECO FRIENDLY DEVELOPER sponsor for an event about GREEN BUILDINGS?? Sheesh. I just moved here from Brooklyn and I can't believe how backwards it is just 1 small river away from Manhattan. I agree with JCList on issues (like too many baseball/football fields and active/passive greenspace needs) but I am shocked to see no one is putting The Jersey Journal in their place. Let's be happy that all parties are taking time and money to support more progressive building development instead of pretending that climate change is not an issue. Further, The Silverman's are the only condo delevelopers to build eco friendly in JC. Why in the world are we chastizing them for encourgaing this? Why not support this and chastize other developers for NOT contributing to community events that are intended to build a better future for us all??

Regarding Ms. Pignataro's work for them in general does not entirely seem a conflict either - at least she is still promoting Jersey City. Would we rather her help a New York developer?? I think the more important point is that there is corruption in Jersey City and there are many who turn a blind eye to much larger scandals. My comment to The Jersey Journal: Get a real story. Using Ms. Pignataro and the Silverman's as the target seems naive and pre-mature. If this is truly the worst of our corruption we should sing praise that these alliances are intended and working toward the good for all of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 11:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MCA wrote:

WHO'S HER BOSS?
The line between Healy aide's 2 jobs is blurred at event

Saturday, January 13, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Pignataro's private sector employer, developers Paul and Eric Silverman, of Exeter Property Company, paid for and hosted "Sustainable Jersey City," held at the old St. Francis Hospital, a site they are converting to a mixed-use residential complex. But "Sustainable Jersey City," which attracted roughly 100 people interested in improving the environment, was a city event - and Pignataro its chief planner, organizers said, even though the Silvermans paid for it.

Packets advertising the Schroeder Lofts were available upon request and flyers advertising the event provided the phone number and Web site for the Schroeder Lofts.

Pignataro, who earns $81,356 a year as Healy's spokeswoman, didn't return phone calls last night to clarify her role at the event.

Daniel Levin, president of the community watchdog group Civic JC, said the Pignataro/Silverman relationship "stinks" and he called it too "cozy" for comfort.

Pignataro - who became press secretary in November 2004 after Healy won a special election to take over for the late Glenn D. Cunningham - also serves as a board member for the Jersey City Economic Development Corp. and the Jersey City Employment and Training Program.

A city event paid for by the Silvermans and set up by the Mayor's press secretary. How cute!

I wonder how many people that attended were able to figure out that this is a "cozy" partnership between the two parties involved. The Mayor wants us to think they're really interested in "green" buildings and the Silvermans want to sell condo's. I hope the food was at least good.

The Silvermans were not interested in putting a green roof on the St. Francis Hospital and the Mayor could give two hoots about green unless it's turf inside a ballfield.

If any other developer that does business in Jersey City wishes to hire Moonlighting Maria... they had better be prepared to take some shots from residents.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 3:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/23 17:55
Group:
Banned
WHO'S HER BOSS?
The line between Healy aide's 2 jobs is blurred at event

Saturday, January 13, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Criss-crossing the line between her job as press secretary for Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy and her private gig as an event planner for a Jersey City developer, Maria Pignataro seemed to be wearing both hats yesterday.

Pignataro's private sector employer, developers Paul and Eric Silverman, of Exeter Property Company, paid for and hosted "Sustainable Jersey City," held at the old St. Francis Hospital, a site they are converting to a mixed-use residential complex. But "Sustainable Jersey City," which attracted roughly 100 people interested in improving the environment, was a city event - and Pignataro its chief planner, organizers said, even though the Silvermans paid for it.

According to Paul Silverman, Pignataro asked the brothers to host and pay for the event, which he said cost less than $2,000. The official sponsor of yesterday's event was the Schroeder Lofts, another Silverman project under construction on Tenth Street. Packets advertising the Schroeder Lofts were available upon request and flyers advertising the event provided the phone number and Web site for the Schroeder Lofts.

Pignataro, who earns $81,356 a year as Healy's spokeswoman, didn't return phone calls last night to clarify her role at the event. In Wednesday's Jersey Journal, Pignataro defended her right to take on outside work.

"My professional experience prior to working at City Hall has been in the private sector public relations and special events business," Pignataro said. "Before making a decision about accepting the consultancy work I cleared it with Mayor Healy, who was fine with it because the nature of the work did not conflict with my position as press secretary." Pignataro refused to say how much she's paid by the Silvermans.

Daniel Levin, president of the community watchdog group Civic JC, said the Pignataro/Silverman relationship "stinks" and he called it too "cozy" for comfort.

Pignataro - who became press secretary in November 2004 after Healy won a special election to take over for the late Glenn D. Cunningham - also serves as a board member for the Jersey City Economic Development Corp. and the Jersey City Employment and Training Program.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 1:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/16 16:24
Group:
Registered Users
Doesn't this person already earn around 70,000+?
BTW who pays her salary?

Posted on: 2007/1/11 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Legal? Probably. Ethical? Depends on whom you ask.

Posted on: 2007/1/11 6:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/1/11 5:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
given the quality of the communications that come out of city hall, i'm surprised that pros like the silvermans would pay for anything but access.

Posted on: 2007/1/11 2:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/23 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
What are you guys worried about? Didn't you read, it was cleared with the Mayor first. Yeesh.

Posted on: 2007/1/10 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well gag me with a cheap plastic spoon!

I remember this wine tasting event. I was going to attend but I was helping Holy Rosary plan their event (La Festa Italiana) and we were having a preparation meeting at that same time. Needless to say I chose to help with LaFesta over a wine social!!! But maybe next time.

I do not always agree with Dan Levin, but he called this one right on. It stinks! How is that for positive publicity!

I understand Ms. Pignataro has a lot of experience in event planning. But I have not seen her resume so I'll be the judge of that!

I've set up many events, including holiday parties, golf outings, deep sea fishing excursions and buisness cocktail parties to host well known bank and insurance company CEO's and top investors. Not to mention our cute planting parties in the park. And to think that I set up the JC List party and bought the gift baskets that we raffled off on my own dime. Gee whiz!

Posted on: 2007/1/10 18:35

Spokeswoman moonlights for builders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Healy spokeswoman moonlights for builders

JARRETT RENSHAW -- JERSEY JOURNAL -- JAN 10

The spokeswoman for Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has been moonlighting as an event planner during the past year for a developer with a number of dealings with the city, drawing both criticism and support from the community and City Council members.

Spokeswoman Maria Pignataro has organized "several" community-style events for the developer duo of Paul and Eric Silverman, who run Exter Property Co. The company has been involved in a number of projects in Jersey City and is currently developing the former site of St. Francis Hospital in the Hamilton Park neighborhood.

The Silvermans paid Pignataro an undisclosed amount to organize a July wine reception aimed at promoting the history and redevelopment of the Hamilton Park neighborhood.

"My professional experience prior to working at City Hall has been in the private sector public relations and special events business," Pignataro said in a written statement. "The Silvermans became aware of my expertise and approached me about assisting them with the planning of special events, primarily for neighborhood events on Grove Street.

"Before making a decision about accepting the consultancy work, I cleared it with Mayor Healy, who was fine with it because the nature of the work did not conflict with my position as press secretary," Pignataro added.

Daniel Levin, president of the community watch dog group Civic JC, said Pignataro's arrangement with the Silvermans appears too "cozy" for comfort.

"It stinks," said Levin. "If Mayor Healy does not have a problem with it, it calls into question his good sense to effectively govern our city."

Healy said, "I do not see a conflict of interest, as there is no use of city offices, time, resources, or other personnel involved in this work."

Eric Silverman said he read a profile of Pignataro in The New York Times - which discussed her transition from celebrity publicist to political handler - and inquired about her.

"Her resume speaks for itself, and we had a need. We made sure it was cleared by the mayor first," said Eric Silverman.

Pignataro joined the Healy for Mayor Team in July 2004 while he was vying for the city's top job and then joined the administration in November 2004 after success in the special election.

"Even if there's nothing wrong with it, it doesn't look good," City Councilwoman Viola Richardson remarked about Pignataro's work for the Silvermans.

Councilman Bill Gaughan said Pignataro's duties at City Hall shouldn't preclude her from doing side jobs because she's not involved in setting policy.

"She doesn't vote on anything pertaining to abatements, or anything else," Gaughan said. "She's a press secretary who writes nice things about things about the mayor."

Posted on: 2007/1/10 13:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017