Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Greenville and West Side: Planning aims to save large Victorian homes - by increasing min. lot s
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
New zones to curb multi-lot carve-ups

KEN THORBOURNE -- JERSEY JOURNAL - JAN 27

To stem the practice of developers purchasing large Victorian-style homes in Jersey City, ripping them down, and building two or more houses in their place, the City Council on Wednesday moved forward on measures to create new zoning in two areas of the city.

The new zones, known as R-1A zones, expand minimum lot size requirements. An ordinance creating the zone was adopted for an area on the West Side that lies mostly between Gifford Avenue to the north, Harrison Avenue to the south, Bergen Avenue on the east and West Side Avenue on the west.

The vote was 7-0-2, with the area's representative, Ward B Councilwoman Mary Spinello, voting with the majority and Ward A Councilman Michael Sottolano and Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson abstaining.

Ernesto Tolentino, a Gifford Avenue resident, told the council the measure would rob him and his heirs of at least half a million dollars.

"The city is proposing to devalue my property by one-third and give me nothing for it," Tolentino said. Eight members of the public spoke in favor the proposal, two of them local homeowners.

The council also voted 9-0 to introduce an ordinance creating the R-1A zone in a section of Greenville, loosely bordered by Garfield Avenue to the east, Ocean Avenue to the west, Lembeck Avenue in the south and Danforth Avenue in the North. The measure will be up for a final vote on Feb. 7.

Ward A Councilman Michael Sottolano said he decided to support the ordinance after meeting with 50 homeowners who would be affected by it.

Posted on: 2007/1/27 10:29

Re: Greenville and West Side: Planning aims to save large Victorian homes - by increasing min. lot s
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Great news. Who were the no votes? I'd also like to know about the setback vote.

The two who abstained were councilman Sottolano and councilwoman Richardson. Ironically enough, the first meeting was held to introduce the ordinance for the Greenville area. Sottolano initially stated that he had a meeting of over 50 people and there seemed to be no community oppostition to this measure. However, one of the speakers who was not in favor of this ordinance was a doctor that owned one of the Victorians on Gifford between JFK and Bergen. He wanted his home to be omitted from the list. Once Sottolano heard his plea, he basically went back on his word and voted against this ordinance. Totally ridiculous.

Quote:
What about the other zoning ordinance on the table, revising the set-back requirements? Any word on whether that passed? Didn't see it mentioned in the article.

I was running on three hours sleep and with most of the evening spent on reviewing the "pay to play" I could not stay. It was the last thing on the list, but guessing from how many of the council members were in favor of the R-1A, it seemed likely that this would pass as well.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is nice to see these great old buildings saved!

Posted on: 2007/1/25 17:18

Re: Greenville and West Side: Planning aims to save large Victorian homes - by increasing min. lot size
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Great news. Who were the no votes? I'd also like to know about the setback vote.

I'm told there was a recent meeting of potentially affected residents in Greenville, with Mike Sottolano in attendance, and of the 80 or so people there, no one was opposed to being in R-1A.

Quote:

worm wrote:
The R-1 A ordinance passed with a vote of 5-2.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
What about the other zoning ordinance on the table, revising the set-back requirements? Any word on whether that passed? Didn't see it mentioned in the article.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 15:33

Re: Greenville and West Side: Planning aims to save large Victorian homes - by increasing min. lot size
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Sigh of relief here... The R-1 A ordinance passed with a vote of 5-2. Interestingly enough, the councilman who represents Greenville(name?) expressed support in having it extended into Greenville but when it came time to vote for passing it on the West Side, he abstained. Hopefully, we can work on getting something done with the new construction on Gifford.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Zoning approved to protect large historic homes -- Also, council turns down two of five affordable housing requests

Ricardo Kaulessar - Hudson Reporter -- 01/12/2007

The Jersey City City Council on Wednesday voted to re-introduce an ordinance pulled from last month's council meeting to protect historic homes on large lots, and they declined two ordinances allotting city funds for affordable housing projects.

The re-introduced zoning ordinance would create an R1-A zoning district to protect one and two-family homes on several blocks in the western side of the city that are located on larger-than-average lots. The rationale behind creating the zone is to protect these homes, many of which have historic architecture, from being torn down and replaced with smaller new houses.

West Side Councilwoman Mary Spinello requested the ordinance be pulled from the previous council meeting on Dec. 13. She re-introduced it after homeowners who were initially against the new zoning changed their minds.

Also, the City Council decided against introducing two of the five ordinances allotting funds from the city's Affordable Housing Trust Fund. The monies were to go to two local development entities constructing houses and rental apartments for low- and middle-income residents.

But questions from council members at Monday's council caucus regarding a lack of information on the projects put a stop to the ordinances.

Getting in the zone

The R1-A zone, as currently introduced, would protect homes located mostly in a three-block area from Harrison Avenue to Gifford Avenue as well as scattered homes on certain other blocks in the vicinity of Lincoln Park. The homes are located on lots that are larger than the standard 25 by 100 feet.

Charlene Burke, who owns an old home on a large lot on Duncan Avenue that is not in the zone, spoke to the council during the public speaking session about the importance of the zoning.

"Developments are now into the meat of Jersey City, and they are looking at every single property that can be subdivided and built to a maximum amount of building in order to make a good dollar," said Burke. "They don't care about the architecture."

Keith Pitchford owns a 108-year old home on Lembeck Avenue. He said he and his neighbors wished to be included in the zone.

"I have nothing against development but I have a large, 108-year old home, and one day when I sell the house, I would hope they would build another home of the same size," said Pitchford.

Ward A Councilman Michael Sottolano, who represents the Greenville section of the city, said after the meeting that he had moved to have the Greenville blocks taken out only because there was initially very little support. But Sottolano said he is holding a meeting on the R1-A zoning for his constituents scheduled for this coming Tuesday at 6 p.m. at the Greenville American Little League Field House on Caven Point Road.

Can't afford to approve everything

The City Council at its Monday caucus took issue with various resolutions to set aside about $1.5 million for affordable housing. Speaking on behalf of the resolutions was the director of the city's Division of Community Development Darrice Toon Bell.

The first four ordinances authorized about $1.2M in affordable housing trust fund monies to go to affordable housing projects being built by the Jersey City Episcopal Community Development Corp. (JCECDC) and JP Affordable Housing respectively. The fifth resolution allotted $250,000 to go to the LISC (Local Initiative Support Corporation) Greater Newark and Jersey City, a non-profit organization that helps entities building affordable housing by providing technical assistance and financial support.

But concerns were raised by various council members, which led to the withdrawing of the resolutions on Wednesday that approved $234,000 to the JCECDC for the construction of a four two-family homes on Wegman Parkway, and Orient and Rutgers avenues, and the resolution pertaining to the LISC.

Business Administrator Brian O'Reilly and City Council President Mariano Vega were not in agreement with the two-family homes project because they thought the size for the two- and three-family homes was too large to be affordable housing. Bell said the homes are being built to accommodate larger families.

O'Reilly and Vega also said they did not appreciate that information on these resolutions was not available for them when they were putting together the City Council agenda the week before the actual meeting.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2007/1/13 5:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/30 21:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

worm wrote:
Quote:
Well legally he could only get 4 apartments out of the 2 houses, since R-1 is a 1-2 family zone.

Yes this would be true legally. But this guy manages to work around the law. The house that suffered a fire recently (that he also owns) was some how zoned a three family, and even then he had a fourth couple living in the basement. When questioned about it, he claimed they were family and they did not have a stove down there.

Quote:
The way I interpret it, if the R1-A zoning had already been passed, you'd need a bit more than a triple lot (80 feet instead of 75) in order to easily subdivide. Someone trying to build on a 25 foot lot in R-1A would need a zoning variance, which would (at least theoretically) only be approved if the applicant proved to the city that their plans fit within the neighborhood.

I hope that I am mistaken and that you are correct. I would hate to see the property owners to the right of this new brick box decide to do the same thing and get away with it.

Legally speaking, you may be right. Zoning, however, never upholds even the most basic rules. Two families never go in, they are illegal threes. Zoning variances are hardly necessary, zoning doesn't even do adequate site inspections. Buildings doesn't require notification or visible permits.

This issue is about the rampant abuse of power by developers who more often than not either work for the city, or have good friends on council.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Well legally he could only get 4 apartments out of the 2 houses, since R-1 is a 1-2 family zone.

Yes this would be true legally. But this guy manages to work around the law. The house that suffered a fire recently (that he also owns) was some how zoned a three family, and even then he had a fourth couple living in the basement. When questioned about it, he claimed they were family and they did not have a stove down there.

Quote:
The way I interpret it, if the R1-A zoning had already been passed, you'd need a bit more than a triple lot (80 feet instead of 75) in order to easily subdivide. Someone trying to build on a 25 foot lot in R-1A would need a zoning variance, which would (at least theoretically) only be approved if the applicant proved to the city that their plans fit within the neighborhood.

I hope that I am mistaken and that you are correct. I would hate to see the property owners to the right of this new brick box decide to do the same thing and get away with it.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The ordinance passed first reading Wednesday night. And based on the council's comments it should go through without a hitch on the 2nd reading. But as of now, it is not law.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure this statement is entirely true. The way I interpret it, if the R1-A zoning had already been passed, you'd need a bit more than a triple lot (80 feet instead of 75) in order to easily subdivide. Someone trying to build on a 25 foot lot in R-1A would need a zoning variance, which would (at least theoretically) only be approved if the applicant proved to the city that their plans fit within the neighborhood.

Quote:

worm wrote:
Unfortunately, #91 Gifford falls outside of the jurisdiction of the R-1 ordinance. This is because the lot adjacent to it was a triple lot. Meaning, the owner was free to sell off one of the lots, as long as his old victorian house remained on the double lot.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well legally he could only get 4 apartments out of the 2 houses, since R-1 is a 1-2 family zone. However all the ads in the Reporter and on craiglist for "2 family with 'bonus' apartment!" tells you how well this is enforced by the city.

Quote:

worm wrote:
I know the guy on Fairview. He is a slum lord who is only acting in his own best interest. He already has tenants who pay a decent rent, but if he could tear down the three story victorian he owns and put up two separate brick boxes, than he stands to make money on at least 6 apartments and also charge for parking.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Totally agreed, worm. And there is absolutely no reason for any building on that block to have a built-in garage -- because nearly every property on the street has a driveway or carport, there are plenty of parking spaces available on the street. It's always a last resort if guests of ours can't find parking on our street.

If anybody in our neighborhood is really curious about how even a little design thought put into new construction can make an enormous difference, i encourage you to drive down into Bergen Hill, and go up Belmont from Summit Avenue - once you pass Crescent, there is a new building on the left side of the street, which isn't perfect, but i think they did a commendable job - look at the roof tiles and dormers! They didn't incorporate green space into the front yard, which is a bummer, but almost none of the buildings on the block do, so it's not as jarring as the Gifford property would be.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, #91 Gifford falls outside of the jurisdiction of the R-1 ordinance. This is because the lot adjacent to it was a triple lot. Meaning, the owner was free to sell off one of the lots, as long as his old victorian house remained on the double lot. Anyways, although the council is not able to prevent him from parceling off this property, they are able to revise construction if they choose to do so. For one, I believe that the foundation poured indicates that the house will be sitting proud of all of the other houses on the street. Talk about an eyesore, but the council might move to have the builder set the house back in keeping with the other properties surrounding. Also, I am uncertain of the legality of having cement as a front lawn. These issues will be considered if the people concerned write to their council reps and let them know what they think.

Jeebeus, believe me, the properties in question are not being put up as subsidized low income housing. The owners are looking to make a quick buck and they really don't give a crap about the neighborhood in that respect. The one on Gifford could easily fetch anywhere from 400-550 K. I know the guy on Fairview. He is a slum lord who is only acting in his own best interest. He already has tenants who pay a decent rent, but if he could tear down the three story victorian he owns and put up two separate brick boxes, than he stands to make money on at least 6 apartments and also charge for parking.

The notion that poor people can only afford "ugly"housing is offensive to me. The added cost of building to a standard that is in keeping with its' neighbors is not as much as some may think. Simple things, like not using certain brick colors, having green space instead of cement and building stairwells inside or on the side of the building (rather than on the front) are so much more visually pleasing and serves to create a more cohesive environment.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
that house won't be for 'low-income' renters -- the builder will try to use the beauty of that neighborhood to charge a premium, while simultaneously crapping all over it.

and why does low-income housing need to be 'ugly'? i think they did an awesome job on Lafayette Village on Grand Street.

yutz.

Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
Isn't all this contrary to providing affordable housing? It really smacks of "exclusionary zoning".

Here is one opinion from the article: "They don't look nice and they don't fit in with the rest of the houses."

Whatever, low income housing rarely looks nice and if I owned a mansion in that 'hood I wouldn't be happy about it. Nevertheless, I'd think that I was better than to use the government to keep others out.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Planning division aims to save century-old homes

JARRETT RENSHAW -- JERSEY JOURNAL -- Nov. 20

The Jersey City Planning Division wants to carve out new residential zones in the Greenville and West Side sections of the city in the hopes of saving older Victorian-style homes from demolition.

The city is proposing a zoning change that would increase the required minimum lot sizes from 2,500 to 4,000 square feet, making it more difficult - if not impossible - to tear down the homes on these oversized lots to make room for two smaller houses. A report issued this month re-examining the city's master plan recommended the changes, noting that while the housing boom has brought new construction and new investment into many of Jersey City's neighborhoods, it has also "exposed some failings" in the land development ordinance.

"Pressure to build more residential units has moved to tearing down larger homes on large lots to be subdivided," the report said. "The Planning Division now regularly receives requests to subdivide and tear down older one- and two- family homes with excellent architectural character to make way for two two-family homes on a standard or even sub-standard lots."

The Planning Board last week delayed adopting the changes to the city's master plan, as well as recommending the zoning changes to the city council, which would have to adopt the proposal by ordinance before the changes would go into effect.

Though the planning board is not required to notify the owners of these homes, board members said they wanted to stall the vote until owners were made aware of the potential changes.

A number of homeowners in the area have long clamored for historic protection of the century-old homes, so it was no surprise that residents warmly welcomed the zoning changes.

"I don't want any of those little houses on the street," said Gilda Serrao, who lives in a 100-year-old Victorian-style home on Gifford Avenue. "They don't look nice and they don't fit in with the rest of the houses."

Toby Applegate, who lives on Bentley Avenue, said he supports the changes, but empathizes with homeowners who may have some trouble selling their homes in light of the proposed changes.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 5:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't all this contrary to providing affordable housing? It really smacks of "exclusionary zoning".

Here is one opinion from the article: "They don't look nice and they don't fit in with the rest of the houses."

Whatever, low income housing rarely looks nice and if I owned a mansion in that 'hood I wouldn't be happy about it. Nevertheless, I'd think that I was better than to use the government to keep others out.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Planning division aims to save century-old homes

JARRETT RENSHAW -- JERSEY JOURNAL -- Nov. 20

The Jersey City Planning Division wants to carve out new residential zones in the Greenville and West Side sections of the city in the hopes of saving older Victorian-style homes from demolition.

The city is proposing a zoning change that would increase the required minimum lot sizes from 2,500 to 4,000 square feet, making it more difficult - if not impossible - to tear down the homes on these oversized lots to make room for two smaller houses. A report issued this month re-examining the city's master plan recommended the changes, noting that while the housing boom has brought new construction and new investment into many of Jersey City's neighborhoods, it has also "exposed some failings" in the land development ordinance.

"Pressure to build more residential units has moved to tearing down larger homes on large lots to be subdivided," the report said. "The Planning Division now regularly receives requests to subdivide and tear down older one- and two- family homes with excellent architectural character to make way for two two-family homes on a standard or even sub-standard lots."

The Planning Board last week delayed adopting the changes to the city's master plan, as well as recommending the zoning changes to the city council, which would have to adopt the proposal by ordinance before the changes would go into effect.

Though the planning board is not required to notify the owners of these homes, board members said they wanted to stall the vote until owners were made aware of the potential changes.

A number of homeowners in the area have long clamored for historic protection of the century-old homes, so it was no surprise that residents warmly welcomed the zoning changes.

"I don't want any of those little houses on the street," said Gilda Serrao, who lives in a 100-year-old Victorian-style home on Gifford Avenue. "They don't look nice and they don't fit in with the rest of the houses."

Toby Applegate, who lives on Bentley Avenue, said he supports the changes, but empathizes with homeowners who may have some trouble selling their homes in light of the proposed changes.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 5:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Just took the pooch for a walk and strolled over to Gifford -- the property in question, #91 Gifford, looks like it's gonna be a disaster if it goes up as currently designed. And right between two huge amazing old Victorians. People suck.

Does anybody know the history of how that lot got sold off? was it a tear down (looks too small to be), or did one of the two 'neighbors' on either side subdivide their lot and sell it off?

Posted on: 2007/1/12 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The articles and posts mentioned the place on Fairmont that the ordinance would save.

It's not Fairmount, it's Fairview that was mentioned in the article.

Posted on: 2007/1/11 19:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/20 13:44
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

worm wrote:
The council unanimously agreed to move forward with this ordinance. They will vote to approve it in two weeks. The "Brick Box" going up on Gifford has been put on hold for now, at least until they review what changes can be made to make it more in keeping with the block.-sigh of relief for now.

This is good news.

Posted on: 2007/1/11 18:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/1 21:52
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
141 Bentley

Posted on: 2007/1/11 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
The articles and posts mentioned the place on Fairmont that the ordinance would save. There was also a mention of a place on Bentley that was in the pipeline. Anyone know the address of the place on Bentley?

Posted on: 2007/1/11 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
The council unanimously agreed to move forward with this ordinance. They will vote to approve it in two weeks. The "Brick Box" going up on Gifford has been put on hold for now, at least until they review what changes can be made to make it more in keeping with the block.-sigh of relief for now.

Posted on: 2007/1/11 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Oh yeah and if anyone would like to speak for [or against ] the R-1a ordinance, the council will be meeting this wednesday. You just need to call before 12:00 pm tomorrow.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone provide information in regards to Jersey City's "Master Plan"? I have been told that the city apparantly has a "master plan" in regards to what the architecture of the city should look like, but because it has not been passed as an ordinance it can only be viewed as a suggestion. So, for example, on streets where the houses are set back 20 feet, any new construction would have to comply with this.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
GrovePath,

There is a bill in the state legislature, the Historic Properties Reinvestment Act, that would provide state income tax credits to people who restore properties that are a) on the National or State Register of Historic Places or b) in Historic Districts on the National or State Reigster of Historic Places. The bill is A896 and S2030.

The bill would allow owners of these properties to deduct 25% of the cost of restoration, so long as the restoration is done according to historic standards. 28 other states have such bills, and studies have shown that the tax credits actually increase revenue over the long term.

The Assembly Bill is sponsored by Lou Manzo, the Senate Bill is sponsored by Barbara Buono. Both bills were referred out of their initial committees and now go to the Budget Committee.

In the Senate, two of Hudson County's Senators are on the budget Committee, Joseph Doria and Bernard Kenny, who sits as chair. So it is important to contact these Senators and tell them to support moving S2030 through the Budget Committee. Most legislators support this bill, but the Governor's office is saying that, while they support it in principal, that they do not want to support any tax credits at this time for budgetary reasons. This makes no sense in this case, because the act would ultimately lead to INCREASED revenues. So it would be helpful to contact Corzine's office on this matter as well.

This bill would not provide credits at this time for the buildings in West Bergen, because they're not in a historic district. One thing the bill may do, however, is to encourage more residents to seek historic designation of their neighborhoods. There are plenty of residents in West Bergen and other areas, such as the Heights, that would like such designation, but their neighbors are sometimes concerned about the cost of renovations. This bill would help alleviate that concern.

Joshua Parkhurst
President
Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy

Posted on: 2007/1/9 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to see these large old homes saved -- maybe there could be some kind of small tax abatement to homeowners willing to save them.

Posted on: 2007/1/8 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
So I was walking down Gifford the other day and noticed that a foundation is being put in for what looks like another cheapo house. Apparantly the owners adjacent to this property sold it and has parceled it off to make way for another new monstrosity. Of all the blocks in this area, Gifford and Bentley are the nicest and it is a shame to see that once again the city is crippled to do anything about this in time. I sincerely hope that this ordinance is passed soon.

Posted on: 2007/1/8 14:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/28 23:53
From Moved to Dallas TX
Group:
Registered Users
I'm very happy to see that this is moving forward.

Posted on: 2007/1/3 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
"r_pinkowitz" was instrumental in getting this important zoning change back on track .

While the first reading does not provide for public comment, the public can speak on the issue during the public speaking portion of the meeting, by calling the City Clerks office 201.547.5150 on the 8th or 9th. The second reading provides for public comment and you do not need to sign up in advance.

Both this meeting on Jan 10 and the next on January 24 are important. Councilman Fulop will be presenting a Redevelopment Pay to Play Reform ordinance also on Jan 10th.

His press release and Civic JC's endorsement of the ordinance can be found at www.civicjc.org. More info to be posted on JCList.

For positive change the public needs to speak out and be heard by calling, writing, faxing, and / or emailing the Mayor and City Council members. It can make the difference.

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
I called Councilwoman Spinello to find out what is going on with all of this.

Here?s the status:
Councilwoman Spinello advised me that she spent the last two weeks researching the legal standpoints of this ordinance, working out any possible kinks that may be challenged in court.

The outcome:
Councilwoman Spinello is sponsoring to introduce the ordinance at this Monday?s Caucus meeting/Wednesdays Council meeting. This will be this first reading, and the council will vote to introduce the ordinance, and in two weeks at the following meeting, they will vote to adopt this ordinance.

I encourage anyone in favor of this to: call the other 8 Council persons and ask them to vote YES this Wednesday to introduce and in two weeks to vote YES to adopt it.

I have to say that I was presently surprised when I called the Councilwoman. She was on already on top of it. I didn't have to plead may case, I was very pleased with how deep her research went on this issue.

Posted on: 2007/1/3 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
"r_pinkowitz" was instrumental in getting this important zoning change back on track .

While the first reading does not provide for public comment, the public can speak on the issue during the public speaking portion of the meeting, by calling the City Clerks office 201.547.5150 on the 8th or 9th. The second reading provides for public comment and you do not need to sign up in advance.

Both this meeting on Jan 10 and the next on January 24 are important. Councilman Fulop will be presenting a Redevelopment Pay to Play Reform ordinance also on Jan 10th.

His press release and Civic JC's endorsement of the ordinance can be found at www.civicjc.org. More info to be posted on JCList.

For positive change the public needs to speak out and be heard by calling, writing, faxing, and / or emailing the Mayor and City Council members. It can make the difference.

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
I called Councilwoman Spinello to find out what is going on with all of this.

Here?s the status:
Councilwoman Spinello advised me that she spent the last two weeks researching the legal standpoints of this ordinance, working out any possible kinks that may be challenged in court.

The outcome:
Councilwoman Spinello is sponsoring to introduce the ordinance at this Monday?s Caucus meeting/Wednesdays Council meeting. This will be this first reading, and the council will vote to introduce the ordinance, and in two weeks at the following meeting, they will vote to adopt this ordinance.

I encourage anyone in favor of this to: call the other 8 Council persons and ask them to vote YES this Wednesday to introduce and in two weeks to vote YES to adopt it.

Posted on: 2007/1/3 15:13

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017