Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Sinnott is JCFD's new chief
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
How does adding this guy two years before retirement affect his pension? Was Troy's position a pension booster as well?

Posted on: 2006/12/30 19:11

Sinnott is JCFD's new chief
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Sinnott is JCFD's new chief
Friday, December 29, 2006
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has appointed Deputy Fire Chief William Sinnott - a man with more than four decades of experience who is also less than two years away from retirement - to be the next chief of the department.

"I was stunned and flattered. I did not pursue it," Sinnott, 63, said. "I know the mayor, but we're not close friends - closer than I thought, I guess."

Sinnott, a 40-year veteran, has been acting fire chief for the past two weeks, and officially assumes the role of chief Tuesday, replacing out-going Fire Chief Frederick Eggers.

"Bill Sinnott has an impeccable record serving the Jersey City Fire Department," Healy said.

Since the mandatory retirement age for uniformed employees in the state is 65, Sinnott, who turns 64 in June, will have to leave the post in a year and a half - a fact that prompted one elected official to criticize the choice.

"Normally I joke about Healy putting cronies on the payroll, but this is blatant pension padding and a waste of taxpayer dollars and no joke," said Downtown Councilman Steve Fulop. "If you are serious about moving the department forward you would put someone there who would have some longevity," he added.

Healy spokeswoman Maria Pignataro responded that the mayor didn't take age into consideration in making the appointment, but simply picked "the best person for the job."

Sinnott also fired back at the council freshman.

"I have 40 years of experience as a proven leader and I would ask Councilman Fulop to wait and see what I accomplish before he comments blindly," Sinnott said. "I welcome his performance review, but not at this time after three days on the job."

Posted on: 2006/12/29 7:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017