Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 53

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lived in Jersey City for 100 years; never learned to drive; still plays bingo a couple times a week.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Boughton raised two children with her husband, Howard, who has since died. Her daughter, Marilyn, still lives in New Jersey, far enough away so visits are infrequent. As much as she misses her daughter, Boughton gets to visit with her son, Bob, nightly. He lives down the hall from her at Mountain View.

Sweet story. But you can bet the daughter is outta the will!

Posted on: 2006/12/15 23:38

Re: Lived in Jersey City for 100 years; never learned to drive; still plays bingo a couple times a w
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
isn't she in a nursing home in Rutland, Vermont?

Quote:

soshin wrote:
I think senility set in after 10 years. It happens.

Well at least she has proved that the cromium smoking juvvie criminals that run around kidnapping dogs haven't scared everyone off.........

Posted on: 2006/12/15 20:43

Re: Lived in Jersey City for 100 years; never learned to drive; still plays bingo a couple times a week.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Woman celebrates her 105th birthday in style
December 15, 2006

By Sarah Hinckley Rutland Herald

[...]

"I knew what to do with children," she said. "It's so much better than working with adults."

[...]

Sounds like she worked with some JCListers

Posted on: 2006/12/15 19:38
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Re: Lived in Jersey City for 100 years; never learned to drive; still plays bingo a couple times a w
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
That's cool.

I've been here since March and it FEELS like 100 years...

Posted on: 2006/12/15 15:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think senility set in after 10 years. It happens.

Well at least she has proved that the cromium smoking juvvie criminals that run around kidnapping dogs haven't scared everyone off.........

Posted on: 2006/12/15 14:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
I am glad she doesn't post on JClist. . . she could play the "100 years of living in jersey city" trump card.

Posted on: 2006/12/15 14:25

Lived in Jersey City for 100 years; never learned to drive; still plays bingo a couple times a week.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Woman celebrates her 105th birthday in style
December 15, 2006

By Sarah Hinckley Rutland Herald

RUTLAND ? Turning 105 is a birthday some would consider a milestone, but Frances Boughton doesn't get what all the hoopla is about.

Surrounded by three generations of her offspring on Thursday, Boughton opened gifts in her room at the Mountain View Center. While she was born in New York and lived most of her life in New Jersey, Boughton has lived at the home for the last four years, closer to family.

"I just live each day as it comes and enjoy it, and it keeps adding up," she said about her secret to longevity.

In Boughton's presence, few would guess she has lived more than a century; her blue eyes sparkle and her flawless skin glows. Putting on make-up still is part of Boughton's daily routine. She takes a weekly trip to the manicurist, and every other week Boughton visits her hairdresser.

"I always go to the beauty parlor," she said. "I get the works. It doesn't cost me anything."

Boughton was born in 1901 and moved with her family a short time later to Jersey City. She lived there for the next 100 years or so, leaving school early to help care for her family.

"I didn't go to high school," Boughton said. "When I was 14 years old, I was through with my schooling."

Her lack of education didn't limit her options. Boughton worked at a nursery school until her retirement at 70. Though members of her family claim she worked there longer ? into her 80s ? Boughton agreed she helped out after leaving the payroll.

"I knew what to do with children," she said. "It's so much better than working with adults."

Boughton raised two children with her husband, Howard, who has since died. Her daughter, Marilyn, still lives in New Jersey, far enough away so visits are infrequent. As much as she misses her daughter, Boughton gets to visit with her son, Bob, nightly. He lives down the hall from her at Mountain View.

She grew up with six brothers, one of whom scared her out of ever wanting to drive a car. Without a license Boughton walked, took public transportation or was driven by someone else. There were three older brothers, three younger, Boughton was smack in the middle.

"I was the only girl," she said. "I outlived everyone."

Living each day as they come may be her secret, but throughout her long life, Boughton filled many of them. Other than working with children, Boughton loved working in her garden, shoveling snow in her long driveway in Jersey City and baking cookies and goods for friends and family.

"I miss a lot of things," Boughton said of her life at Mountain View.

She still plays bingo a couple of times weekly and spreads as much joy as she can.

"If you're having a bad day, she'll make you have a good day," said Katelynn Hogan, who works at Mountain View and is unable to turn down Boughton's requests for affection. "Every time I go by her, I have to give her a hug."

For her birthday, Boughton received a bouquet of flowers from her daughter, a new nightgown, lotion and a box of chocolates. The candy will be added to a stash she keeps in one of her dresser drawers. When the chocolate is offered to others in the room and refused, Boughton can't help but comment. "They don't want to take any because they're afraid they'll get fat," she said to her granddaughter, Sue Warner.

There are no containers for pills in her room. Boughton doesn't have a need for medication. And she doesn't hesitate to give her 15-year-old great-granddaughter beauty advice.

"She tells me I always should put moisturizer on my face so I won't be as wrinkly as the other people here at the home," Lauren Warner said.

As though embarrassed by all the attention brought on by a birthday that many will never make, Boughton asks her granddaughter, "When is this day going to be over?"

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.d ... S02/612150346/1003/NEWS02

Posted on: 2006/12/15 13:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017