Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: Daniel Wrieden aka 'Queer Eye For The Historic House Guy'

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/11/30 19:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
believe me...when you have been with a partner as long as Dan has....you own the house...whether on paper or not.
Do married couples only own 1/2 of a private residence..check the law.

Actually you are totally incorrect. It depends on when the house was acquired and from where the resources to acquire the house came. If one's spouse owned a home prior to a marriage, the house will never be subject to equitable distribution. Also, if someone had money from before their marriage to purchase a house cash and they do so, that house is also not subject to equitable distribution. So you are wrong.

Posted on: 2004/10/15 3:11

Anonymous
Architect's are like people, they are not "God" Some are good architects and some are terribly bad architects. I think that all we have to do is look around our environment to understand that.
So to simply say that any architect has credibility, without mentioning the person's name is just not true. There are many practicing architects in and around Jersey City...there are only three, that I can think of, that are truly talented designers, construction experts and are as well versed in 19th C design and building practices, or for that matter modern design and building practices.
To have an architect stand up and make comments in a public forum, doesn't necessary mean that the comments or observations are correct. Some doctors kill patients, some architects destroy otherwise well designed buildings.
Will the registered architect (I am assuming that they were registered) come forward, so we know whether or not they are accomplished and talented.

Anonymous
who give a f....k, who owns the house and what does that have to do with historic preservation issues.

Anonymous
believe me...when you have been with a partner as long as Dan has....you own the house...whether on paper or not.
Do married couples only own 1/2 of a private residence..check the law.

Anonymous
Slander is something that isn't true...all of the comments above, made about Warren Curtin are true and can be proved in a court of law... it is not against the law to tell the truth. Most of the comments, however, about Dan Wrieden are not true and are slanderous.
Warren Curtin is a gay man, who is alone and cannot find a partner and has been alone for years. He is jealous, spiteful and mean spirited. He should pay more attention to himself and his failings as a human being, rather than going around attacking others, under the cover of historic preservation. Let him take his internal anger out in a gym or some other positive activity, and stop being a spoiled brat who didn't get his way.

Anonymous
DAN WRIEDEN, WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT, HAS TREMENDOUS KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE DESIGN AND ARCHITECTURE OF THE 19TH C. HE DOES INDEED KNOW ABOUT WHAT HE SPEAKS.

Anonymous
I am amazed that people can assasinate someone's character and professional standing in a community without using their own name. To do this under the quise of "anonymous" is not only cowardly, but evil and malicious. If they were man or woman enough to stand up in public and complain these remarks would be consider slander.
IT IS THIS TYPE OF GOSSIP THAT BEGINS TO UNDERMINE A COMMUNITY, AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT DOWNTOWN JC IS,
OR WAS AT ONE TIME A WONDERFUL, FRIENDLY, HELPFUL COMMUNITY OF LIKE MINDED INDIVIDUALS, WHO REACHED OUT AND HELPED EACH OTHER SUCCEED. WHAT HAPPENED?
THE NONSENSE ABOUT POOR DAN WRIEDEN IS SIMILAR TO THE SALEM WITCH TRIALS. ARE WE TO ACCUSE, TRIAL AND CONDEMN ANOTHER HUMAN BEING WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF THE RIGHTS GUARANTEED UNDER THE CONSTITUTION AND THE BILL OF RIGHTS OF THE UNITED STATES. IS THIS COMMUNITY BECOMING LIKE NAZI GERMANY AND OTHER HATED STATES
EVERYONE NEEDS TO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AT THEMSELVES AND IF HE IS WITHOUT SIN AND IS PERFECT, THEN LET HIM CAST THE STONE. I SINCERELY DOUBT THAT ANY OF THE CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS WEBSITE ARE WITHOUT SIN. LETS OPEN UP ALL OF THEIR CLOSETS AND ALL OF THEIR BACKGROUNDS, AND ALL OF THEIR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND LET THEM SEE HOW IT FEELS.
NUMBER ONE, LETS START WITH WARREN CURTIN, THE LOVELESS AND THE HATEFUL.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/11/30 19:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
Maybe you should examine the center of this whirl wind, Warren Curtin. Warren is a neurotic that has undergone therapy for many years and is taking drugs to calm his nerves and hyper active behavior. Warren is hated in the real estate industry for his mean and nasty behavior and many will not even do business with him. Why people are following this contorted individual much less believing what he says is a mystery. Why don't you put the hate, where the hate belongs on Warren Curtin.

For one, there are a lot fo people who take medications for nerves or hyperactive behavior. So what? The pharmaseutical industry has run such a campaign that its now probably fashionable as a result. Still its a personal issue which you should not touch.

Secondly, your slanderous comments are actionable and mostly untrue. Warren Curtin is not alone on this. He submitted testiments from a many neighbors whose experiences were abominable. More people shared their bad experiences during the last HPNA meeting. Merely because he is enthusiastic does not warrent the sort of nasty and vicous comments you have made.

There needs to be dramatic adjustments to the enforcement and application of the historic ordinance. The arbitrary applications go as far back as Clair Davis. But there are currently too many rules that a lot of folks really can't afford. $20,000 for railings is a bit much as are some of the window requirements.

Similarly people should refrain from making hateful comments about Wreidan. He is also enthusiastic about his role, yet he makes little money doing it. Still he has been incorrect about some stuff. In one instance he advised a neighbor his curb had to be blue stone, when the rules as they are written clearly provide otherwise. This only suggests Dan could use some more guidance and mentoring.

Warren brought this issue to the forefront, while others did nothing more than just sit around whinning and complaining about this. The constitution protects and encourages his actions.

Posted on: 2004/10/14 22:39

Anonymous
Dan has told people applying for construction permits that "owns several properties". This is not true according to the Jersey City tax records. Maybe you are one of the confused that buys his line.

Anonymous
Whatever. Even if the spurious records you're looking at include Dan's name, the fact remains that it's been Jeff's house since '89. YOU check it out.

Anonymous
I've worked in Downtown Jersey City Real Estate for over 10 years and I have never heard of him.

Anonymous
Check the records, you are wrong.

Anonymous
Quote:
What a bunch of nonsense. Dan Wrieden and his partner both own their house on Wayne Street. His partner is not his "sugar daddy" but a well known professional in NYC.

Hey genius.......I work for the county and have researched the tax records. Only Jeff's name is on the deed, and he's owned that property since long before he and Dan were partners.

Don't question my facts because they're dead on accurate.

Anonymous
Quote:
Maybe you should examine the center of this whirl wind, Warren Curtin. Warren is a neurotic that has undergone therapy for many years and is taking drugs to calm his nerves and hyper active behavior. Warren is hated in the real estate industry for his mean and nasty behavior

Is this the same writer who opened his or her e-mail by saying such hurtful words and behavior are uncalled for (in so many words)? Nice try.

Anonymous
These comments are outrageous and hurtful and would not be said if the writers name was on the bottom of the comment. Dan Wrieden is a decent human being, who is warm, friendly helpful and a decent hardworking neighbor.
What is the matter with you people.
Maybe you should examine the center of this whirl wind, Warren Curtin. Warren is a neurotic that has undergone therapy for many years and is taking drugs to calm his nerves and hyper active behavior. Warren is hated in the real estate industry for his mean and nasty behavior and many will not even do business with him. Why people are following this contorted individual much less believing what he says is a mystery. Why don't you put the hate, where the hate belongs on Warren Curtin.

Anonymous
What a bunch of nonsense. Dan Wrieden and his partner both own their house on Wayne Street. His partner is not his "sugar daddy" but a well known professional in NYC.
Their relationship is a long term partnership which is a lot more successful than a lot of "marriages" I see in the world on a daily basis.
And
for the record their house on Wayne street is a perfect example of what a brownstone row house would have looked like in the late 19th Century, raised planter and miniature hedges and all. We may not like the way it looks but it is one of the more authentic houses in the neighborhood. We should all look carefully at the detail and follow this example of good taste.

Anonymous
Quote:
He does not own a piece of property and has no idea the cost of some of his requests.

That is correct......although he apparently lives with his sugar daddy partner (who is about ten years older than he from what I understand from a good source).........and have you seen what's in the front of their house? Some hideous staute/sculpture/kinda-fountain thing surrounded by flowers and foliage.

Let one of us come into the Historical Preservation Office asking for that for our property (yes Dan, a property we actually own in our own name), and I'm sure we'd be jumping hurdles like you've never seen!

Anonymous
I have seen that side of Daniel as well. He thinks everyone hates him because he is gay. Many gay people do not care for him. His beligerence is legendary.

Anonymous
I've dealt with Dan for a long time. He knows little about what he speaks.

He does not own a piece of property and has no idea the cost of some of his requests.

He hates everyone who is not white and gay.

I am amazed he has a job dealing with the pubic.

Anonymous
Thanks for your ignorant, homophobic post.

Anonymous
In reply to the individual who stated that Dan Wrieden "isn't going by the book" . My question is which book, there are many opinions on historic preservation and have any one of you even read the book, so that you would personally know whether Dan is going by the "book." My guess is that not one of the critics of Dan or the HPC is a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Preservation New Jersey or the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy..or any other historic preservation organization. I am also guessing that to the "man" or woman that few have even read any major articles on historic preservation and know nothing of the process of restoring a home or building or of getting a design approved.
All the whinning and complaining about someone who is simply trying to do a good job to the best of his ability, sounds like "he's not doing it MY WAY." In life, we generally don't get OUR WAY, life is not fair or equitable, and as adult human beings we learn to live with it, cope with the inconsistencies and continue to live our lives to the best of our abilities. My advice to the entire complaint system is 'GET A LIFE." tHE STARVING CHILDREN OF THE WORLD ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHETHER OR NOT DAN WRIEDEN IS APPROVING THE COLOR YOU WANT FOR YOUR HOUSE. COMPARED TO THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE THIS WHOLE DISCUSSION IS NOT ONLY BORING IT IS MEANINGLESS.

Anonymous
Bob Cotter and Dan Wrieden should be applauded for their outstanding work in improving the fabric of life in downtown Jersey City...I'm thrilled at the change for the better in this neighborhood and sorry for the folks who find rediculous reasons for denigrating anyone for their sexual preferences.

CHEERS, Joyce G. Davison[quote]

Anonymous
Quote:
So lets all get together and uncover the excitement of historic preservation together.

The immediately previous posting closed with this quote. I agree wholeheartedly..........but let's get together and uncover the excitement without the bullying tactics and pompous demeanor of Dan Wrieden.

I've been in the historic district for almost five years, and I truly believe that (most) people want to do the historically appropriate thing. We're successful enough to afford these inflated-priced homes........I think we're therefore bright enough to realize that historical preservation protects and enhances that investement. but we're tired of feeling bullied and alienated. We need a user-friendly process.........and the process as of now is NOT.

Anonymous
Unfortunately, historic preservation is arbitrary and inconsistent, because it is a 21st Century view of what the 19th Century did and thought. As our research changes and we learn more about the past our views on historic preservation change. For instance, in the early part of this century it was thought that many 18th Century colors were soft muted colors, of soft blue "wedgewood blue", yellow, white or others. However, as 21st Century research progressed we learned that this was because many of the bright colors had faded and were being presented as less than new. Many 18th Century colors were bright orange, stippled walls of bright red and bright blue....the coloring of the past is constantly changing. A lovely small greek revival cottage on Grove Street, was at one time painted in high Victorian style, dark brown. So lets all get together and uncover the excitement of historic preservation together.

Anonymous
What is the matter with the writer of this dribble. Does he or she not know that 50% of the people buying houses in the downtown neighborhoods are gay or bi-sexual. Who are first individuals to move into a neighborhood recognize its potential and struggle to fix things up....gay people, among others, both male and female. Does the writer not know that the major critic and instigator of all these nasty and vicious attacks on Dan Wrieden, Warren Curtin, is also a gay man. So what does sexual orientation or gender have to do with any of this....except that many gay people are more sensitive to design and architecture than some others. The writer of this "piece" sounds to me like they have some major sexual issues...generally individuals who feel confident in their heterosexuality don't care what homosexuals do or think...because they aren't a threat. The writer sounds, as if they are a closet case, who needs to strike out at a target to make themselves appear to be what they may not be.

Anonymous
I am shocked that in this day and age, and in this City, that any person's sexuality is to be made fun of. I can only suppose that the person who created this site is either bigoted towards gays and lesbians or a self-hating homosexual. Either way, I do not believe any postings under such a heading are appropriate.

For the record, although there have been many comments (and there are 2 sides to every story), not one person has said the value of their property has been reduced as a result of the Commission's action (other than perhaps a few slum lords). I think part of the reason downtown is doing well is the work of the Commission, Bob Cotter and Dan Wrieden. Were if not for them, there would be nothing to prevent brownstones from being covered with aluminum siding. We may not like every decision as it pertains to us individually, but collectively, downtown is a much better place.
I plan to speak at the next Commission meeting and so shoud all of you other "anonymous" types.

Anonymous
[
My comment regarding that some present desire to dismember the Historic Preservation Ordinance stands as evidenced by a second petition that was being circulated that evening, which called for that result in substance. Other individuals did call for the termination of Mr. Wrieden and saw no need to replace him.

[/quote]

My read of the petition did not call for anyone' resignation, but a different level of authority for the position. Do you really think one person should be doing this? Let's assume our current preservation officer held the highest qualifications for this position, (ie Master's degree, advanced certificates, etc.) but was the only person doing the job. Wouldn't you agree it may be a better idea if someone else either supervised him or at least necessitated concurring opinion and or action? The architect who spoke at the meeting, clearly commented our current officer has been in correct in various applications.

The reason there has been such a strong suggestion to use the phrase arbitrary and capricious, is that raises the alarm if something isn't done to properly effectuate the ordinance it could readily be challenged in a federal court and has a good chance of being found unconstitutional. People are upset, and this has gone ignored for too long. Using the proper language may get better results.

The folks from the National Trust have a very different view on this, which is a lot more sensible. That type of evidence only further weakens the capacity of JC's ordinance as it has been applied.

Anonymous
Quote:
My point is I don't think this matter has been given a genuine sense of consideration. Residents have been officially and unofficially complaining about this issue for several years, and the adminstration has gone deep into denial about it... .

...Residents have a right to voice their concerns, even if they seem emotional. The economic consequences are significant to these folks and their feeling a great deal of pressure.

No disagreement here, which is why the HPNA placed the issue for public discussion on our agenda in the first place. The level of frustration is indeed high.

Quote:
The purpose of my reference to the architect was to prop up the accuracy and validation of the claims and concerns and not let them sit in some evaluation period as your earlier posting suggests... .

What concerns me your suggest people had some ill advised suggestions to dismember the Historic Preservation Ordinance. No one was moving for that nor the termination of their positions.

Again, a close read of what was written should speak for itself. Quite to the contrary, there's no suggestion of an evaluation period but we do not blindly rush to solution either. Many issues were raised; the City Planning Department needs to hear the feedback; and, a more formal response from them is clearly required.

My comment regarding that some present desire to dismember the Historic Preservation Ordinance stands as evidenced by a second petition that was being circulated that evening, which called for that result in substance. Other individuals did call for the termination of Mr. Wrieden and saw no need to replace him.

Anonymous
Quote:
The person who bought a house with a stack of violations - were they only related to historic restoration issues or general building code violations?

They were only historical restoration issues, and the "double secret probation" file was in the historical commission's office (along with files they have on almost every other house in the historical districts).

So, as long as no safety, fire, or building code issues are being violated, I really can't see how the historical folks can sick the building department on you. The building department is overwhelmed (and marginally competent) as it is, and their plate is full enough.

I happen to know that a couple higher-ups in the building/zoning offices think the historical people are idiots -- not because of their intentions or their mission, but rather because of the way they do business and the way the treat the constituents.

Anonymous
My understanding is that they cannot levy fines, but can refer infractions to the building department which can and can also get an order to "undo" work. Legend has it that people have had to remove vinyl or metal windows.

The person who bought a house with a stack of violations - were they only related to historic restoration issues or general building code violations?

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017