Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: COMING SOON: STRAINS ON JC POWER GRID, SEWAGE, ROADS AND TRASH
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
Years ago that right wing s---bag Shundler (nice dresser,never naked) sold our water system to balance the budget.

That's right jersey city owned it's own water supply,we even sold to other town's.To create a one time flow of money our then Mayor Brett Shundler sold off our water and screwed us for years to come.

Check out Mia Scanga's web site --stop brett shundler.com she really lays out the whole scam

I agree with all you say above about Schundler and Mia. Mia is a local treasure and her site, stopbretschundler.com, is a treasure trove of relevant info for today. Not to be missed by any newbies moving here.

Mia's new site, talkingpolitics.net, is also very good.

Posted on: 2006/12/8 21:43
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Years ago that right wing s---bag Shundler (nice dresser,never naked) sold our water system to balance the budget.

That's right jersey city owned it's own water supply,we even sold to other town's.To create a one time flow of money our then Mayor Brett Shundler sold off our water and screwed us for years to come.

Check out Mia Scanga's web site --stop brett shundler.com she really lays out the whole scam

Posted on: 2006/12/8 20:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/12/8 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
BrightMoment wrote:

Do an "advanced search" here for MUA and you will find all the posts relative to the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority that regulates the sewers.

Thanks! (I was searching on "sewer" and "sewage" and didn't see the "Show all results" at the bottom of the list). But the "MUA" search was a big help too.

Looks to me, though, that the city hasn't done anything to address the _future_ needs of downtown as it grows, and that's what worries me.

Posted on: 2006/12/8 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

swooshy wrote:
In an aggravting hunt this past Saturday to find out why the water went out in our neighborhood, I found this little detail in relation to United Water's parent company;
"Jersey City officials were shocked to learn last year that United Water diverted $1.2 million
worth of the city?s water to other communities in New Jersey without paying Jersey City."
This was from a letter dated May, 2005
http://www.citizen.org/cmep/Water/gen ... uez/articles.cfm?ID=13399

This is the first I heard of this, anyone know any more about it?

Yeah, that info was posted here and commented on here. As I said above:

Quote:
BrightMoment wrote:

[...]Do an "advanced search" here for MUA and you will find all the posts relative to the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority that regulates the sewers.

Posted on: 2006/12/8 17:49
Resized Image

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/16 16:24
Group:
Registered Users
In an aggravting hunt this past Saturday to find out why the water went out in our neighborhood, I found this little detail in relation to United Water's parent company;
"Jersey City officials were shocked to learn last year that United Water diverted $1.2 million
worth of the city?s water to other communities in New Jersey without paying Jersey City."
This was from a letter dated May, 2005
http://www.citizen.org/cmep/Water/gen ... uez/articles.cfm?ID=13399

This is the first I heard of this, anyone know any more about it?

Posted on: 2006/12/8 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lesser_Demon wrote:
Yeah, I will probably end up buying downtown anyway (it shortens my commute among other reasons I won't go into here), but I am worried about how the area will handle sewage 5-10 years from now. I have a Heights-lovin' friend who thinks it can't and that downtown JC will be swimming in its own poo after all these new condos go up.

Has the city or the developers said or done anything to address this issue?[...]

Do an "advanced search" here for MUA and you will find all the posts relative to the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority that regulates the sewers. This post from over a year ago is particularly salient:

Quote:
TomGibbons Re: Flooding (help) #26
From Hamilton Park

I would add the followinging:

The Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority (JCMUA) is required to ensure that all wastewater and storm water flow to the treatment plant and that fresh water reaches your home. Any that does not is their responsibility.

The sewers throughout downtown Jersey City are over 100-years old and have been allowed to disintegrate over many years of neglect. In the past Jersey City has only made repairs in response to regulatory directives and to promote development.

Downtown is serviced by a Combined Sewer system, which means that raw sewage and storm water are combined in the same sewer pipe. When it rains the collapsed or broken, undersized pipes backup (surcharge) and a combination of storm water and sewage floods into your basement.

Don't let the MUA lie to you. The flooding in your basement is not directly due to the following:

? ?Regional Groundwater Conditions;
? ?Below Sea Level?
? ?High Tides?
? ?Underground Rivers?

Ask for the JCMUA to fulfill their responsibility to repair and maintain the sewer system in a manner that prevents the discharge of sewage into your homes. Ask your elected officials to prepare a capital budget and a master plan that includes the millions of dollars it will cost to repair this 100-year old sewer system. Ask the DEP to mandate that the JCMUA repair our 100-year old sewer system.

Any water entering your home is a potential health hazard. In this case it is combined with raw sewage. Water damage can cause both fungal and bacterial contamination and may damage structural components in buildings. Too much exposure may cause or worsen conditions such as asthma, hay fever or other allergens.

Common symptoms of over-exposure are cough, congestion, runny nose, eye irritation and aggravation of asthma. Depending on the amount of exposure and a persons' vulnerability, more serious health effects such as fever, breathing problems, nausea and skin rashes can occur.

It is the JCMUA?s obligation to maintain the sewer system in a manner that protects human health and the environment. They are responsible for ensuring that raw sewage flows to the treatment plant and NOT back into your homes.

In New Jersey, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is responsible for enforcing these regulations. EPA has issued stiff penalties to municipalities that fail to ensure the sewage flows to treatment plant and not into the environment:

City of Honolulu, HI (1994) ? The EPA fined the City $1.2 million for failing to maintain its sewer system. EPA also required improvements to the sewer at a cost of $30 million.

Metro Dade County, FL (1995) ? The EPA fined the county $2 million for failing to maintain the sewer system, which resulted in the overflow of raw sewage into homes, streets and businesses. EPA further required improvements to the sewer at a cost of $800 million.

Year-after-year the JCMUA has repeatedly stated that they have no money to repair even the most notable of sewer problems. Yet year-after-year there is no Master Plan and no attempt to even begin addressing or funding these issues. Send the message to your elected officials and the DEP that sewage flowing into you home whenever it rains in unaccetable and a violation of the Clean Water Act.

Posted on: 2005/7/11 15:49

Posted on: 2006/12/8 17:20
Resized Image

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I will probably end up buying downtown anyway (it shortens my commute among other reasons I won't go into here), but I am worried about how the area will handle sewage 5-10 years from now. I have a Heights-lovin' friend who thinks it can't and that downtown JC will be swimming in its own poo after all these new condos go up.

Has the city or the developers said or done anything to address this issue?

Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:

don't count on it. new york metro area, of which we are a part, bounces back from every real estate burst faster than the rest of the nation. if you like the place and you plan to stay, buy.

Posted on: 2006/12/8 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
maybe it was trash day?

Posted on: 2006/12/7 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
hey - this is Jersey City : I was out running one morning, and I saw this cop on that parking lot on Manila Ave near 7th St., finish his coffee-then toss the cup out ofhis police car... WTF??

Posted on: 2006/12/7 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lesser_Demon wrote:
I'm thinking of finally buying a condo next year, back in Downtown (since prices will likely be friendier by then).

don't count on it. new york metro area, of which we are a part, bounces back from every real estate burst faster than the rest of the nation. if you like the place and you plan to stay, buy.

Posted on: 2006/12/7 19:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, I decided to resurrect this topic rather than start a new thread.

Anyway, I've lived in various parts of Jersey City for 12+ years and I'm now in the Heights. And still a renter. I'm thinking of finally buying a condo next year, back in Downtown (since prices will likely be friendier by then).

One of my concerns about downtown is the massive development and its impact on the area's sewers, which, frankly, weren't built to handle so many people and their, um, waste products.

I was wondering if any current downtowners have any thoughts on this subject, or any knowledge of any projects (I'm looking at you, developers!) to allieviate what could turn into a major embarassment for Jersey City.

Posted on: 2006/12/7 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
The City has to start by putting more trash cans on the street and emptying them. There are at least three threads open right now about this on the site. If we all complained to the politicians instead of just to each other it might happen. Clean streets are a sign of a civilized society.

Have there been any changes so far? The last thread I remember reading about the trash can issue is that the city had actually removed cans from several street corners allegedly because many residents are putting their house garbage in them.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as the garbage is placed inside the cans. I've brought down a small shopping bag or two of smelly garbage (ie, leftover fish or other seafood) that can't wait until the regular semi-weekly trash pickup. I've also cleaned up my car and brought the bag to the nearest corner garbage can. Luckily though, all three trash cans on my block are still there.

As far as the inevitable strain on the rest of our infrastructure, what has the city officially said about its capacity to support it? Heavier traffic is a given, but I doubt we'll be seeing a rise in power outages. I don't know about brown water, though I'm thinking our water pressure will decrease? Any experts out there have an informed guess on this?

What about schools? I know we have the brand-spanking new elementary and middle school on Bright. I'm thinking that it's at capacity right now, so where will the new residents' kids be attending school? What about high school? They can't all get into Academic, and besides Prep, what other private schools (especially ones for girls or at least co-ed) are there in downtown?

Posted on: 2006/10/21 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
The City has to start by putting more trash cans on the street and emptying them. There are at least three threads open right now about this on the site. If we all complained to the politicians instead of just to each other it might happen. Clean streets are a sign of a civilized society.

Posted on: 2006/10/21 12:39

COMING SOON: STRAINS ON JC POWER GRID, SEWAGE, ROADS AND TRASH
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
"Despite Jersey City's street-cleaning program, the JCMUA annually collects approximately 62,500 cubic feet of trash and grit at its treatment plants. Additionally, more than 72,000 cubic feet of material is removed from the City's catch basins through scheduled maintenance."

Staggering number. I have lived in 5 diffent cities and I have never seen the amount of people who willfully toss wrapers, cans, etc. as they stroll down the street. Does this piss you off too? I have seen parents, with kids in tow, throw trash right on the ground and keep on going. On numerous occasions I have said, "Hey, you dropped something" Or, if it's a kid, I will say, "Ya know, the world is not your trash can." I can only assume, since the streets are cleaned twice a week that theses litter-bugs see no problem with clogging our catch basins and making Jersey City look bad. The authorites need to crack down on people throwing trash on the streets. Start issuing tickets.

Another thing - we all know thousands of new residents, over the next few years, will call Jersey City home. How will this effect our power grid, sewage systems and trash? Not to mention our two lane roadways. Aren't many of these enfrastructures old and dated? We hear about power outages, brown water, grid lock....Perhaps, I am being naive and the authorites are taking this all into account. I also found the statement below regarding the United Water Service contract interesting......."reduce its long term indeptedness by 14M......" Wonder where this money really went?

"Jersey City, New Jersey. Signed a five-year contract with United Water Services for the the management, operation and maintenance of its entire water system. The agreement is designed to enable the city's public utility to reduce its long term indebtedness by $14 million over the contract's term."

City Hall, Jersey City
Robert Lombard, Business Administrator
280 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Ph. (201) 547-5148
Fax (201) 547-4833

Posted on: 2006/10/21 12:24

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me