Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Washington Post: Menendez Seeks to Bury Image of a Shady Dealer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rob4499 wrote:
BM, I am suppose to get my information from a Menendez ad?

I am reading articles on the web where he has voted to build some stem cell funding. "In December of 2005, NJ Senator Tom Kean, Jr. voted in favor of a $350 Million proposal to use public bonds to fund this research." Which I found shocking for a Republican to vote for that. I would think that would tick off core Republicans.[...]

Stem cell research(from wikipedia)

Kean has supported stem cell research, but has opposed the use of a tax on cigarettes to fund the research. As a State Senator, he was one of 14 legislators to vote against the creation of a cigarette tax for the purpose of funding stem cell research (S2649, 06/27/05). Six months later, he voted for stem cell funding which did not involve a cigarette tax (S2913, 12/05/05). In May of 2006, when the issue came before the State Senate again, he opposed a cigarette tax which would fund stem cell research (S1471, 05/18/06), and then, 42 days later, he again voted for stem cell funding (S1091, 06/30/06) not derived from a tax on cigarettes.

Dems to Kean, Jr: Stop Playing Politics With Stem Cell Research

*May 19, 2006*
By: Phil Singer, DSCC

Yesterday, Kean Jr. Cast Third Vote Against Stem Cell Research Despite Claiming To Support It

"Kean Jr. Has Voted Three Times Against Funding Stem Cell Research Centers."

Democrats today accused Tom Kean, Jr. of playing both sides of the stem cell issue after he voted yesterday for the third time in less than a year against efforts to pursue the potentially life saving research. With his support among Republicans dropping in recent months, the state senator?s wobbliness on the stem cell issue shows Kean, Jr. either doesn't believe in anything or isn't strong enough to stand up to the right wing of his own party.

?Tom Kean, Jr. changes his position on stem cells so often you?d think he?s a yoga instructor,? said DSCC spokesman Phil Singer. ?He?s playing both sides of the issue because he?s gotten himself into a dicey political situation with his fellow Republicans. The fact that he lacks the spine to stand up to right wing Republicans makes it pretty clear that he?d be too weak to challenge the Bush White House in Washington.?

New Jersey Republicans have grown increasingly unhappy with Kean Jr. over the last year. His support among the GOP has dropped 16 points over the last six months, going from 37% to 21% between December 2005 and May 2006. In addition, while 87% of Republicans said they would vote for Kean Jr. in December, only 70% said they planned to vote for him last month. [Quinnipiac, 4/27/06; Quinnipiac, 12/15/06]

If Kean Jr. Supports Stem Cell Research ?Without Restriction,? Why Doesn?t He Challenge The Repubs Who Don?t? Kean Jr. said, ?I have had many discussions with individuals on this, and at the end of the dialogue determined I support stem-cell research.? Asked his position on stem cells earlier this month, Kean Jr. wrote, ?Supports research using embryonic stem cells without restriction.? [Philadelphia Inquirer, 1/1/06; Star-Ledger, 5/7/06]

Yesterday, Kean Jr. voted against a bill to spend $250 million to build three stem cell and biomedical research centers in New Brunswick, Newark and Camden. Senate President Richard Codey said New Jersey's stem cell efforts are threatened by growing out-of-state competition.

?Every day we wait potentially puts us a day behind,? Codey argued. Kean Jr. voted against similar proposals twice in June 2005, one of which authorized $150 million for stem cell research centers while the other authorized up to $285 million for the new facilities. [Star-Ledger, 5/19/06; S2649, 6/27/05; S2649, Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee Hearing, 6/20/05; Knight Ridder, 6/28/05; Daily Record, Editorial, 6/28/05]

New Jersey Voters Overwhelmingly Support Stem Cell Research. According to an April poll, New Jersey voters support stem cell research 73 ? 15 percent. In addition, a majority of voters said they supported the $250 million stem cell research legislation that Kean Jr. voted against yesterday. [Quinnipiac Poll, 4/26/06]

**Please note:** Senator Tom Kean Jr's father, pro-abortion advocate and former NJ Governor, Thomas H. Kean, is the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Robert Wood Johnson Hospital is a partner with UMDNJ, an institution which will be the recipient of hundreds of millions of dollars in public money for embryonic stem cell research and human cloning under legislation pending in the NJ Legislature. In December of 2005, NJ Senator Tom Kean, Jr. voted in favor of a $350 Million proposal to use public bonds to fund this research.

Posted on: 2006/11/7 5:50
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/6 4:22
Group:
Registered Users
BM, I am suppose to get my information from a Menendez ad?

I am reading articles on the web where he has voted to build some stem cell funding. "In December of 2005, NJ Senator Tom Kean, Jr. voted in favor of a $350 Million proposal to use public bonds to fund this research." Which I found shocking for a Republican to vote for that. I would think that would tick off core Republicans.

Since I am in the middle class, this is the first I have heard of real tax cuts for the middle class from Democrats. Considering when that tax break came through, my take home pay was noticeably higher, what other real tax cuts are going to come through for the middle class?

Posted on: 2006/11/7 5:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Rob4499 wrote: "Anyone who votes for Kean is actually pulling the lever to vote for Bush again." I find that a loose statement for Kean Jr. A few weeks ago, he came out asking for Rumsfield's resignation. I believe he is for stem cell research. And he is against off shore drilling off the coast of Florida. So on a some issues it sounds like Kean is against what the admininstation thinks. I already had Corzine raise state fees and taxes, I don't need Menendez going to DC and encouraging the Democrats to cancel Bush's tax cuts.
No. Kean is NOT for "stem cell research". He voted against it not once, not twice, but six times! See here: Bush's tax cuts will not be cancelled but allowed to expire. Then REAL tax cuts that benefit the middle class will be put in place instead of those that only benefit the smallest percentage of those in the US.

Posted on: 2006/11/7 4:21
Resized Image

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/6 4:22
Group:
Registered Users
"Anyone who votes for Kean is actually pulling the lever to vote for Bush again."

I find that a loose statement for Kean Jr. A few weeks ago, he came out asking for Rumsfield's resignation. I believe he is for stem cell research. And he is against off shore drilling off the coast of Florida. So on a some issues it sounds like Kean is against what the admininstation thinks.

I already had Corzine raise state fees and taxes, I don't need Menendez going to DC and encouraging the Democrats to cancel Bush's tax cuts.

Posted on: 2006/11/7 3:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Quote:
you become a tool of the Republicans and Bush.

BM you have some insightful comments most of the time however this is just idiotic. You are no better than the Democrats that can't think of anything better than putting down bush. How about coming up with an original thought?

It is not only the Democrats "...putting down bush.", but Republicans, Independents, and all for good documented reasons of poor governance.

Republicans, moderates, independents are abandoning Bush and people throughout the us are saying that we're tired of this debacle, and their votes for Democracts are confirmation of this widespread feeling.

Don't believe me just look at the spate of polls nationwide with this as just one among many as an example:

Resized Image

You think Kerry would have been any better, the fool can't even speak in public without taking down his party. I would like to believe in a Democrat that has an actual plan, (no need to quote another full length article) but the only thing most can think of is slamming Bush.

I posted those two articles as just a sample of the "actual plan(s)" that have been discussed for some time now by not only Democrats, but by Independents as well, and you're unwillingness to consider any of these ideas as better than Bush/Republicans "Stay the Course", just speaks volumes of denial.

A democratic process of bi-partisanship, hearings, accountability on corruption issues will bring a new optimism with the Democrats coming back into Washington.

We're looking to solve problems and not maintain the doom and gloom of the Republicans polarization.

I really think the Democratic party hurts itself more than Republican banter. Not this time we don't and Republicans are running scared throughout the US tonight!

Posted on: 2006/11/7 1:41
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
you become a tool of the Republicans and Bush.

BM you have some insightful comments most of the time however this is just idiotic. You are no better than the Democrats that can't think of anything better than putting down bush. How about coming up with an original thought?

You think Kerry would have been any better, the fool can't even speak in public without taking down his party. I would like to believe in a Democrat that has an actual plan, (no need to quote another full length article) but the only thing most can think of is slamming Bush.

I really think the Democratic party hurts itself more than Republican banter.

Posted on: 2006/11/7 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nuada wrote:
I have never voted for a Republican -- and I first voted for George McGovern in 1972 -- but tomorrow I will vote for Kean. He may be dumb and boring but he isn't Menendez and that is a good thing.

Sad. I respect your opinions, Nuada, but in this you become a tool of the Republicans and Bush.

I don't know if Kean is "...dumb...", but your wasted vote to "Stay the Course" with Kean surely is, irrespective of your unproven speculation against Menendez.

Posted on: 2006/11/7 0:56
Resized Image

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I have never voted for a Republican -- and I first voted for George McGovern in 1972 -- but tomorrow I will vote for Kean. He may be dumb and boring but he isn't Menendez and that is a good thing.

Posted on: 2006/11/7 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Don't want to take this too far off-topic but Al Gore is pushing his agenda not actual facts.

Climate chaos? Don't believe it [...]

So, we're supposed to believe the "3rd Viscount Monckton of Brenchley", Christopher Monckton account on Global Warming? In "The Telegraph" no less?

I guess you're pining for them Thatcher days of ole, huh NNJR?

I think this says it all for me relative to the "3rd Viscount Monckton of Brenchley", Christopher Monckton!
Quote:
[...]In 1983 he returned to the Conservative offices again, this time as Margaret Thatcher's policy adviser.[...]

Posted on: 2006/11/7 0:03
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Quote:

harsimus wrote:
Jimmy Smits keeps calling my house. When I pick up he says that he's calling on behalf of his friend Bob and to encourage me to vote on Tuesday. But I think he's hot for my wife and is trying to hook up with her...

Still, it is better this year than two years ago when we were barraged by calls from Bill, Al, Bob, and Albio. WTF, like a recorded celebrity voice is going to help me make up my mind?

Joe called me twice, Al Gore once. Now Bill Cllinton just called me. All of a sudden, I am so popular.

Al Gore thanked me for doing my part for global warming by shutting down JCList and the computer when I go to bed.

Please feel free to give Jimmy my number...he's a "hottie"!

Yeah, yeah I know it's only a recording but hey, a girl can dream can't she!

Posted on: 2006/11/6 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Don't want to take this too far off-topic but Al Gore is pushing his agenda not actual facts.

Climate chaos? Don't believe it

So leave your computer on as long as you want. As long as the monitor turns it self off and the drives spin down, its not using much power at all.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

harsimus wrote:
Jimmy Smits keeps calling my house. When I pick up he says that he's calling on behalf of his friend Bob and to encourage me to vote on Tuesday. But I think he's hot for my wife and is trying to hook up with her...

Still, it is better this year than two years ago when we were barraged by calls from Bill, Al, Bob, and Albio. WTF, like a recorded celebrity voice is going to help me make up my mind?

Joe called me twice, Al Gore once. Now Bill Cllinton just called me. All of a sudden, I am so popular.

Al Gore thanked me for doing my part for global warming by shutting down JCList and the computer when I go to bed.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gmerc wrote:
I am cramming for tomorro's vote. I am pretty much up to speed on Menendez/Kean but does anyone have any insight on the other congressional seat up for grabs tomorrow?

It's for a House rep right?

Any help appreciated.

Albio Sires is the current Congessman, won in June to fill the unexpired term of the former Congressman (now Senator Bob Menendez.)
The current Congressman Albio Sires, name is on the ballot twice, one to fill the vacant seat for two months and one for the full term.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
shoot, i just wrote a nice long post and accidentally deleted it....

it went something like this:
of course i've done research on "dem platforms", and still have yet to be sold on it...

as for setting a timetable for withdrawl:
great in concept, completely unrealistic when you're talking about boots on the ground. if a woman's giving birth according to a set timetable and fails to finish in time, do you just tell her "oh well, thanks anyways, hit the road"....

and as for the iraqi PM not doing a good enough job for us... well, it's not our call. you want to pluck him our and insert another player for us? that will go over great.....

Resized Image
Resized Image

Plan C for Iraq

by Fred E. Foldvary, Senior Editor

With the Democratic Party taking the reigns of power in Congress and the President seeking new strategies in conjunction with the review by James Baker's Iraq Study Group, change is coming to the bungled war in Iraq.

The two plans that have been most prominent are Plan A, stay the course, and Plan B, a quick exit.

*Plan A would continue the course of the U.S. military fighting the rebels and terrorists, whether with present or greater levels of troops.

*Plan B would withdraw all U.S. troops, perhaps deploying some to nearby bases such as in Kuwait and perhaps still controlling the Green Zone in Baghdad.

*There is also plan D to chop up Iraq into several countries, which is not going to happen, as Turkey will not allow an independent Kurdish state to exist, and there is no way to have separate religious states in Baghdad.

**Plan C is the least worst option, even thought it has so far not had much discussion. The elements of Plan C are:

All profits from oil production would be distributed directly to the people in equal shares.

Villages and city neighborhoods in which there is order would elect local councils, and all powers of governance would be transferred to these councils or to traditional tribal governance, except for foreign affairs. The locals governing bodies could choose to delegate some powers to the provincial and the central governments. The constitution of Iraq would be changed to authorize this decentralized structure.

U.S. and British troops would be replaced by a new international alliance. India, China, Russia, Indonesia, Egypt, and other countries would be invited to contribute and finance troops to maintain order in Iraq. The United Nations would authorize this new coalition, but it would not be under the administration of the U.N. The new coalition would enter at the invitation of the government of Iraq to protect rather than dominate the people of Iraq.

Since Iraq is potentially a major producer of oil, much of the power struggle there is an effort to control and benefit from that wealth. If the constitution of Iraq and the nations of the world recognize that the oil of Iraq properly belongs to all its residents in equal shares, and this is enforced, then much of the incentive for conflict will recede. The nations of the world have not sought to recognize equality in the oil wealth in Iraq because they fear that the same principle could then be applied to them also. Nevertheless, without the principle of equal benefits from the natural resources of Iraq, there can be no lasting peace.

The democratic structures set up by the U.S.-led coalition and the religious and ethnic parties in Iraq have not created social peace. Indeed, voting by party has generated more conflict, as religious parties have fought for supremacy rather than agree to compromise. Moreover, the rebels in Iraq regard the elections as a sham and the Iraqi government as a U.S. puppet. Decentralizing power will let the various interests have genuine control over their own areas while maintaining the overall unity of Iraq.

The United States is perceived by many Iraqis and Arabs elsewhere as seeking to dominate the Middle East. Malicious propaganda has led many Muslims to believe that the U.S. government is against Islam. The U.S. is seen by critics in the Middle East as seeking to control the oil, as opposing the interests of Palestinians, and as supporting oppressive regimes. Blunders, the outrageous conditions in prisons, and massive corruption in Iraq have also contributed to the image of America as the imperialist crusader. America's promotion of liberty and democracy abroad are therefore seen by these critics as hypocrisy. The truth is more paradoxical and ironic, as America does in reality promote and defend freedom and democracy even while supporting dictators who stifle freedom. But such contradictions are not appreciated by those who fall victim to simplistic propaganda.

The replacement of U.S. troops by troops from other countries which do not have the liabilities of the U.S. government would avoid the catastrophe of an escalating civil war and takeover of Iraq by supremacist terrorists. There would much less resistance to the presence of troops from India and Russia and other countries regarded as in Iraq friendly or at least neural. The governments of China, Russia, India, and other powers have an incentive to provide troops, since they too would be vulnerable to a terrorist Iraqi state well funded by oil revenues. Muslim troops would be seen as less alien. As another incentive, contributing troops would give the members of the new alliance influence in Iraq. In turn, the U.S. would lose much influence, but the idea of an Iraqi regime that loves America is a lost cause anyway.

It is tragically unfortunate that the alternatives for Iraq that have dominated the election have been plan A, "stay the course," and B, "cut and run." At this pivotal time, the new Congress and the Bush-Baker policy team should study and discuss equal benefits from oil, decentralized governance, and the replacement of U.S. forces with a new international military alliance. Plan C would avoid the disasters of both A and B.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 23:17
Resized Image

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/31 22:48
From jersey
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with CapnJon, it's only the Dems that aren't up for election that are talking about what they would do if they took control, and even then they don't seem to be on the same page (Levin and Dean). I'm not voting for a party, I'm voting for a Senator or Rep. I don't have any influence on the Lady from California or the Gentleman from Mass, but I can have a say in the person NJ sends, and I think personal views and convictions are much more important than party platforms. Afterall, platforms are based on the issues we know now, not what might occur in the future. At least Menendez has a voting record to go on, so I don't think this applies to him too much, but it would be refreshing to hear a candidate clearly articulate his position on ideas on the most important issues.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 23:11
I'd go over 12 percent for that

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcpeace wrote:
thanks mr. bright.
very helpful and illustrative.

we just gotta hope that the right (non hawk) dems are calling the shots if they do indeed take control of congress.

i just have alot of baggage (as i'm sure you can tell) from feeling consistently sold out by the dems on these kind of issues. we'll just call it the humphrification of the democratic party. me? i'm more into the mcgovernification....***sigh***

or carterization

but not dukakisification
mondalienation
clintonation
or kerryization

HAHAHAHA! I read ya loud and clear, jcpeace! Yeah, I agree with all you say above and even though he's seen better days than this last week it's all 'bout the Democrats ...

Shizzle Bein' the Real Drizzle!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/11/6 22:56
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
There are 7 more choices on the ballot. Or we can write in "Steve Fulop".

1. Socialist Workers Party
2. Socialist USA
3. Legalize Marijuana (G.R.I.P.)
4. Libertarian Party
5. God We Trust
6. Solidarity, Defend Life
7. Poor People's Campaign

Posted on: 2006/11/6 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
shoot, i just wrote a nice long post and accidentally deleted it....

it went something like this:
of course i've done research on "dem platforms", and still have yet to be sold on it...

as for setting a timetable for withdrawl:
great in concept, completely unrealistic when you're talking about boots on the ground. if a woman's giving birth according to a set timetable and fails to finish in time, do you just tell her "oh well, thanks anyways, hit the road"....

and as for the iraqi PM not doing a good enough job for us... well, it's not our call. you want to pluck him our and insert another player for us? that will go over great.....

Posted on: 2006/11/6 22:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/5 17:42
Group:
Banned
thanks mr. bright.
very helpful and illustrative.

we just gotta hope that the right (non hawk) dems are calling the shots if they do indeed take control of congress.

i just have alot of baggage (as i'm sure you can tell) from feeling consistently sold out by the dems on these kind of issues. we'll just call it the humphrification of the democratic party. me? i'm more into the mcgovernification....***sigh***

or carterization

but not dukakisification
mondalienation
clintonation
or kerryization

Posted on: 2006/11/6 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcpeace wrote:
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
here's my problem with so many of these "discussions"....

democrats platform still seems to be "we're not bush" and "get rid of bush".... i don't care! tell me what you're going to DO when you get to washington... don't tell me you would've voted against the war... hindsight is great, but the fact of the matter is, we're IN a war now. tell me your suggestions now!

i think that is an excellent question, capnjon.
is there a specific democratic policy proposal to get us out out iraq? or to do anything differently or more effectively than the bush admin?

i have yet to see one..but i could be wrong

and that's why i am still officially undecided.....though i won't be voting for kean....

Well, CapnJon & jcpeace, there has been much stated by democrats individually AND the Democratic Party what we would "...DO when you get to washington...", and it doesn't take much effort to find this info out by googling it.

Here's just one example:
Resized Image
The Voice of America, which first went on the air in 1942, is a multimedia international broadcasting service funded by the U.S. government through the Broadcasting Board of Governors. VOA broadcasts more than 1,000 hours of news, information, educational, and cultural programming every week to an estimated worldwide audience of more than 115 million people.

Democrats Vow to Change Iraq Policy If They Win Control of US Congress

By Deborah Tate
Washington
03 November 2006

U.S. Congressional Democrats are vowing to press for a change of course in U.S. policy on Iraq if they regain control of one or both houses of Congress in Tuesday's midterm elections, as public opinion polls suggest is possible. VOA's Deborah Tate looks at how Democrats plan to influence such policy if they do win victories at the polls.

With the increasing U.S. death toll and continuing violence in Iraq, the war has become a key issue in this midterm election.

Public opinion polls indicate Democrats are in a strong position to pick up at least 15 seats needed to wrest control from Republicans in the 435-member House, and could possibly win the six seats they need to take back control of the 100-member Senate. Polls suggest voter dissatisfaction with President Bush's handling of the Iraq war is what is helping the Democrats.

Resized ImageCarl Levin
Senator Carl Levin, the top Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, says the midterm elections have become a referendum on the war. "There is going to be a very powerful message to change course in Iraq next Tuesday," he said

Democrats, if they win control of the House and Senate, would be in a position to influence Iraq policy, as they would assume chairmanships of congressional committees.

Senator Levin, for example, would become chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee. He has called for a phased withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq beginning next month. It is a plan, he told reporters in a conference call, that voters would essentially be endorsing if they return control of Congress to the Democrats. "The message will hopefully be a (change to a) Democratic Congress, and if that is the result, I believe that will be read correctly as a very strong message to the President that the American people want to change course in Iraq, and want to begin a reduction in our presence there by the end of the year," he said.

But Democrats are divided over whether and how many troops to withdraw within a certain time frame.

It is a point President Bush underscored at a campaign appearance for Republican Senator Conrad Burns in Montana Wednesday. "We're in the middle of a war on terror, and one of the most fundamental fights is in Iraq, and yet the Democrats have no plan for victory. They have no idea how to win. Harsh criticism is not a plan for victory," he said.

President Bush opposes any timetable for a phased withdrawal of troops, and criticizes Democrats who support the idea as, in his words, cut and run Democrats.

But the chairman of the Democratic Party, Howard Dean, argues that Democrats do not want an immediate pullout of troops. He made his point in a recent CBS Face the Nation program. "The president will still be in charge of foreign policy and the military. So the influence of a Democratic Congress will be, I think,a positive influence, but I don't imagine that we're suddenly going to force the president to reverse his course. We don't have the ability to do that. But I think we will put some pressure on him to have some benchmarks, some timetables and a real plan other than stay the course," he said.

Democrats also say if they do take control of Congress, they would urge the administration to press the Iraqi government to do more to make the political compromises necessary to bring stability to their country.

Michael O'Hanlon of the Brookings Institution has co-authored a book that advises Democrats about foreign policy. "If Democrats do win, I would propose the following: that President Bush and the leadership of the Congress actually try to work out a basic concept, where they will agree that Prime Minister al Maliki is doing a bad job in Iraq right now. The only way we have any hope of salvaging the situation is if he or someone else in that position does a much better job on issues such as ensuring equal sharing of all oil revenue for all Iraqis forever, regardless of what province you are from on a per capita basis, equal sharing, on issues like rehabilitating former Baathists, who do not have blood on their hands personally, so they can rejoin public life; in other words, dealing with legitimate Sunni-Shi'ite grievances," he said.

Besides looking ahead with respect to Iraq, Democrats are also planning to look back, if they retake control of Congress. Democrats are vowing to hold hearings on what led to the administration's decision to go to war in Iraq, as well as investigate the misuse of government funds spent by U.S. contractors in Iraq. "That is something that is needed regardless of who is in control. There should have been a commission looking into the whole contracting errors and worse. There have been some real corrupt practices here which need to be investigated," said Senator Levin.

Besides choosing lawmakers, voters in several states will also have a chance to directly express their opinion about the war. A referendum will appear on the ballot in cities in Massachusetts, Wisconsin and Illinois, asking voters whether the United States should immediately withdraw troops from Iraq.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 22:23
Resized Image

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/9 23:06
Group:
Registered Users
Kean isn't going to lower your taxes. No one is. They can't. Bush has seen to it. Running up the defecit like he has, the new leadership has no choice but to cut spending severly or to raise taxes.

Sending Tommy Junior to Washington will just make it worse by allowing Bush to continue to act like an emperor.

As for ethics, Tommy Junior get elected as a result of the substantial influence his family has on NJ politics. When people like him benefit from such influence it's called good breeding. When someone from Hudson County benefits it's called bossism.

As for your gay friends who support Kean, it's not because of his politics, it's because they want to #OOPS# him.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 22:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/5 17:42
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:

democrats platform still seems to be "we're not bush" and "get rid of bush".... i don't care! tell me what you're going to DO when you get to washington... don't tell me you would've voted against the war... hindsight is great, but the fact of the matter is, we're IN a war now. tell me your suggestions now!

i think that is an excellent question, capnjon.
is there a specific democratic policy proposal to get us out out iraq? or to do anything differently or more effectively than the bush admin?

i have yet to see one..but i could be wrong

and that's why i am still officially undecided.....though i won't be voting for kean....

Posted on: 2006/11/6 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

and by saying Corzine supports you - that does nothing for me. My wife and i voted for Corzine because of all the promises he made us as new homeowners. What was the FIRST thing he did when he took office? said "sorry, i can't do anything to change your property taxes." grrrr!

Posted on: 2006/11/6 20:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/5 20:15
Group:
Registered Users
I am cramming for tomorro's vote. I am pretty much up to speed on Menendez/Kean but does anyone have any insight on the other congressional seat up for grabs tomorrow?

It's for a House rep right?

Any help appreciated.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
My take on Menendez is pretty well summed up in these several paragraphs below. I'm an active member of the Hudson DFA (Democracy for America) which supported Vas over Menendez guy, Albio Sires, so I'm hardly supportive of all of Menendez camp. I have read both good and bad on Menendez, but just like it says below, Menendez "...has never been accused of a crime or even cited for an ethics violation." Quote:
Quote: by rtala34 on 2006/11/1 14:47:28 [...]It is a matter of degrees. An alleged corrupt Congressman or a culture of corruption created by the Republican majority by rtala34 on 2006/11/1 14:47:28 It is a matter of degrees. An alleged corrupt Congressman or a culture of corruption created by the Republican majority K Street Project Abramoff (Ney, Delay, Safarian, more to come) Randy Duke Cunnighman Mark Foley (and the cover up by Hassert who did the honorable thing by blaming and firing his whole staff) Haliburton no bid contracts and Cheney's deferred income(finally being audited maybe) Enron and the energy task force Bill Frist (SEC stock trades from his blind trust) Weapons of Mass Destruction The Medicare bill leaving the voting open for 2 hrs. (never been done before) The Lincoln group (see NY Times article) Domestic Spying (oh excuse me Terrorist Survail. program) 3.00/gal record quarters for Exxon, Chevron, etc. (no oil company left behind policy) Need I go on the choice is simple send a political light weight yes man to conintue these policies or send the alleged corrupt congressman to challenge these policies. Thus to say that corruption prevents you from voting for one who has never been proven to engage in corruption but requires you to vote for someone from a party that has engaged in wide-spread corruption is a false argument.
Quote:
Quote: [...]New Jersey's reputation for corruption in government is legendary; the state has been rocked by one scandal after another. And Menendez has had to rise through this system. In doing so, he became close to some unsavory characters. Menendez helped a local mobster serve prison time near the home of the mobster's son. A close friend and fund-raiser, lawyer Donald Scarinci was secretly taped in 1999 using Menendez's name to help persuade a Hudson County vendor to hire a subcontractor. Menendez now recognizes that even though it was not illegal, he should not have rented the building to the head start program. But Menendez, in his long career as assemblyman, mayor, congressman and senator, has never been accused of a crime or even cited for an ethics violation. Menendez and New Jersey may not be perfect together, but as Voltaire has written, the perfect is the enemy of the good. Like most progressives in New Jersey, I see Menendez as a flawed but principled progressive who rose through the ranks, faced tough challenges and successfully gained power. There is no evidence that any of his actions resulted in Menendez gaining personally. He has used his power to advocate for the poor and the common good. So, I am urging all my friends and others to vote for him, enthusiastically.
As well, Kean/Republicans typically trying to spin everything away from Bush & Iraq and the failure of their House & Senate to provide Congressional oversite to perhaps the biggest boondoggle, failure of policy and government via "Bush's/Rove/Cheney/Rumsfield Crusade" invasion of Iraq . But it isn't even close decision as to who to vote for between Menendez and Kean. If you want more of the same vote Kean, if you want a change, vote Menendez! Kean's "Tall Tales" (aka lies)

Posted on: 2006/11/6 18:31
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Alb, what are you talking about? Menendez *IS* the political machine. Democrats in NJ can't wipe their ass without Menendez knowing about it.

Voting Menendez is promoting the Democratic machine to the federal level.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 16:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Looking to Menendez and Corzine to help clean up JC politics is a little like asking the Hells Angels to help with security (Altamont).

Posted on: 2006/11/6 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pacific wrote:
On a scale of one to ten, how crooked is Menendez?

(Tom Delay / Bob Nay would be a ten. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington would be zero.)

Is Menendez a six? seven? higher?

I always assumed that Menendez was a 9, but, honestly, just because I assume Hudson County is a 15 on a scale of 10. (OK, maybe 1,000.)

But I saw Sam Pesin at the Menendez/Barack Obama rally in Hoboken last Thursday, and Pesin said Menendez has been really helpful to him and that he likes Menendez. I always met someone in finance who has had dealings with Menendez and thinks the guy is about as clean as a Hudson County political figure can be.

So, my guess is that Menendez is really a 3 or 4. He's probably done a lot of political jaywalking in his life, but probably hasn't intentionally gone after the widows and orphans.

On the other hand, one question would be whether Steve Fulop is a great, honest young guy who deserves support from Menendez or (sorry, Steve Fulop, if you're out there reading this) if he's just an arrogant hotdog.

If Steve Fulop is coming off as an arrogant hotdog, then I can understand why Menendez hasn't done anything much to help him. That wouldn't mean that Fulop was a bad guy. It would just mean that maybe he's meant to go get rich and do good works some other way, which is fine.

If Steve Fulop is really a bright, decent, polite young guy who has some political acumen and means well and simply is learning the ropes under difficult conditions, then I would like to see Menendez helping him more.

If Steve Fulop is not actually born to be a city councilman, then an important test would be whether Corzine and Menendez would nurture an alternative candidate -- maybe a Learning Community Charter School parent -- who might be more politically adept but also would make a serious effort to take on the politicaly machine here.

Because, clearly, the machine is dysfunctional. It's not even able to arrange to clean the streets properly in wealthy neighborhoods two or three blocks from City Hall. At this point, it's in the machine's own interest to get city services improved enough that it least looks as if it's making the trains run on time.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
STRONG LEAD
Saturday, November 04, 2006
By GREG HANLON
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Just days before voters head to the polls for what appears to be an extremely tight Senate race, Democrat Robert Menendez enjoys a strong lead in Hudson County over Republican Thomas Kean Jr., according to a new Jersey Journal/ New Jersey City University poll.

The poll shows Menendez - who grew up in Union City and now lives in Hoboken - with a 52 percent to 12 percent lead in Hudson, more than a 4-to-1 advantage over Kean. Perhaps surprisingly, 24 percent of those polled said they did not whom they would vote for; 9 percent chose "other" and 3 percent did not answer.

Menendez has increased his margin in Hudson County in the past month, when a similar poll showed him with a nearly 3-to-1 lead.

Menendez's lead in overwhelmingly Democratic Hudson County is hardly surprising. Because he is expected to carry Hudson by a large margin, "the problem facing Menendez is not so much the support he has in the county as it is turning that support into votes," wrote the poll's authors, NJCU political science professor Fran Moran and NJCU English professor Bruce Chadwick.

In the last midterm election, voter turnout in Hudson County was just 37.1 percent, according to Moran and Chadwick.

The poll shows that the war in Iraq is by far the most important issue to Hudson voters. Forty-five percent said they believe the war is the most important issue, more than 30 points ahead of the next highest issue.

Hudson residents expressed disenchantment with the Bush administration's calls to stay in Iraq for as long as it takes to secure peace.

Nearly 80 percent support concrete steps toward withdrawal: 38 percent want the U.S. to withdraw immediately, while 40 percent want a timetable for withdrawal.

"Menendez made his opposition to the war the focal point of his campaign and his ads worked hard at connecting Kean to President Bush," Moran and Chadwick wrote.

Kean has sought to distance himself from Bush.

"People will elect Tom Kean Jr. because he stands for reform and because he will be a check on this administration," said Jill Hazelbaker, a Kean spokeswoman.

Throughout the campaign, Kean has tried to paint Menendez as corrupt.

But according to the poll, the negative campaigning may have been counterproductive in Hudson: 24 percent said negative TV ads have made them more likely to vote for Menendez, while 5 percent said such ads have made them less so.

Moran and Chadwick speculated that "a large number of those surveyed may have taken the Kean allegations of political corruption as an indictment of Hudson County in general, and that Menendez may benefit from a 'rally around the flag effect.'"

Posted on: 2006/11/6 14:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/23 17:02
From Wayne Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
I just got a call from Joe Piscopo ( he calls me often to chat, I try to give him career advice but he never listens) anyway, he wanted to encourage me to go out and vote tuesday. He also said, although he is a Democrat, he will be voting for Tom Kean.

Joe called me too this afternoon. Al Gore called this morning. It was funny hearing Al Gore's voice after I saw Darrell Hammond played him last night on Saturday Night Live.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 12:19

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017