Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 39 40 41 (42) 43 44 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Meeting Dates

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/21 15:34
Group:
Registered Users
A special thanks to Steve for posting the designs. I would encourage as many familes with children to attend this meeting as the current plans are extremely family and child friendly.

Shelley Skinner

Posted on: 2007/3/21 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Schoor DePalma is the engineering firm that won the bid to draft the construction plans. T&M bid, but lost.

The only difference that I see between 1 & 2 is concept 1 has gardens in the NE corner. I don't see the putting green or extra active space in the concept 2 drawing.

I like concept 3 the best. Only one tennis court, and more active space.

One aspect not included in the drawings that is VERY important - demarcation of the pet free area.

Quote:

DanL wrote:
as explained, the text/renderings are dificult to read.

I cannot easily see any differences between Concept A and B.

Notable changes from prior draft plan;

it looks like the children's playground while currently large, get larger under all concepts. In comparision, the prior plans split the existing one in two.

there is a small area, the width of a tennis court that is in the same location for Concept A and B, and is moved in C that I cannot deterime what it is.

concept C eliminates a tennis court, but then perhaps could not the dog run be moved to that location, away from residential buildings on Hamilton Pl W and 9th St. (edited)

lastly, a "PUTTING GREEN"????? where did this come from? Could not find any mention in the HPNA survey...

all three concepts appear to lead to more active and fenced in elements in the park.

Since, these concepts were not prepared by the city's consultants, T&M, why? and who is "Schoor and Depalma" the designer of these concepts working for - city or whom ....

I like the Friends of Liberty State Park slogan - FREE AND GREEN

Posted on: 2007/3/21 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
as explained, the text/renderings are dificult to read.

I cannot easily see any differences between Concept A and B.

Notable changes from prior draft plan;

it looks like the children's playground while currently large, get larger under all concepts. In comparision, the prior plans split the existing one in two.

there is a small area, the width of a tennis court that is in the same location for Concept A and B, and is moved in C that I cannot deterime what it is.

concept C eliminates a tennis court, but then perhaps could not the dog run be moved to that location, away from residential buildings on Hamilton Pl W and 9th St. (edited)

lastly, a "PUTTING GREEN"????? where did this come from? Could not find any mention in the HPNA survey...

all three concepts appear to lead to more active and fenced in elements in the park.

Since, these concepts were not prepared by the city's consultants, T&M, why? and who is "Schoor and Depalma" the designer of these concepts working for - city or whom ....

I like the Friends of Liberty State Park slogan - FREE AND GREEN

Posted on: 2007/3/20 22:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
I have posted to my website (www.stevenfulop.com) drawings of the three sketches for the park renovation so you can review before Thursday.

On Thursday, Schor Depalma will explain the drawings and then we intend to have the community vote on a seperate publicized date in the park for the plan they prefer. At that point, we will move forward to the next stage

The drawinsg that I posted incorporate all the feedback from the initial meeting including,

1) children's garden
2) shade area
3) message boards
4) more gardens
5) dog run moving more to the middle with a seperation of trees
6) Expanded children's playground

The basic difference between the three drawings you will see are:

1) basic feedback from the first meeting and HPNA ballots
2) feedback with added active areas including putting green
3) feedback with elimniation of one tennis court and inclusion of more passive area in its place

I recognize the font is small that explains the features in more detail however, Schor Depalma will have better printouts at the meeting on Thursday.

Hope this is helpful
Steven Fulop

Posted on: 2007/3/20 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Janet:
Quote:
when the bulldozers arrive in Hamilton Park to begin work and trees are chopped down in front of a row of brownstones to make room for a (fill-in-the-blank)

Janet,

When I first joined this list 9 months ago you and Minnie posted similar claims about tress being chopped down.

As I was new to the area I went along to the presentations and worriedly rasied the subject, the reply was unequivocal and categoric, none of the large trees in Hamilton park will be chopped down.

This has been reiterated at every meeting and by every person involved in the process. Why do you persist with this baseless scaremongering?

Robin.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No the T&M draft is not the lastest plan for Hamilton Park, perhaps Councilman Fulop can post the plans on his website in advance of the meeting

Quote:

4bailey wrote:
[quote]Question... is this PDF on the Jersey City website the latest (most recent) plan??...

If not, does anyone know of a site/place where I can get the most up-to-date plan prior to the 3/22 meeting??...

TIA!

Posted on: 2007/3/6 17:52

Edited by DanL on 2007/3/6 18:19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The plan posted is the latest and was created by T&M. Schoor DePalma won the bid to create construction plans for Hamilton Park. These plans should be very similar to what T&M proposed, and what was discussed in community meetings, but we will have to wait until 3/22/07 to see these new plans.

Quote:

4bailey wrote:
Quote:

...And then compare it to the map of trees as proposed by T&M on page 61 of their plan:

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/arch/MasterPlan.pdf

Question... is this PDF on the Jersey City website the latest (most recent) plan??...

If not, does anyone know of a site/place where I can get the most up-to-date plan prior to the 3/22 meeting??...

TIA!

Posted on: 2007/3/6 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

...And then compare it to the map of trees as proposed by T&M on page 61 of their plan:

Question... is this PDF on the Jersey City website the latest (most recent) plan??...

TIA!

Posted on: 2007/3/6 13:37
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The T&M representative has stated on several occasions that a survey of the trees was never done, so don't pay attention to the rendering of the trees in the drawings. I have followed the parks meetings very closely, and know that there are no plans to cut down the trees.

Over the years the trees were severely neglected. The Hamilton Tree Company had to take aggressive measures to save the trees.

BTW, T&M is out of the picture. Schoor DePalma will present their drawings, which should be based on the T&M plans.

Quote:

jim399 wrote:
T&M's plan for Hamilton Park needs to be opposed. Check out the location of trees in Hamilton Park right now on this Google satellite photo:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en ... ie=UTF8&z=19&ll=40.727651,-74.044829&spn=0.001531,0.003382&t=k&om=0

And then compare it to the map of trees as proposed by T&M on page 61 of their plan:

It looks like the existing trees will be chopped down and replaced with tiny ones along the paths.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
When I first moved to Jersey City, I liked the abundance of mature trees. But I knew that eventually they would all be chopped down in the name of progress. Will anyone even mourn the passing of the trees of Hamilton Park?

Without trees to provide shade, you can not eat lunch at noon in the summer. Remember this warning!

Posted on: 2007/3/6 3:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/17 22:54
Group:
Registered Users
T&M's plan for Hamilton Park needs to be opposed. Check out the location of trees in Hamilton Park right now on this Google satellite photo:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en ... ie=UTF8&z=19&ll=40.727651,-74.044829&spn=0.001531,0.003382&t=k&om=0

And then compare it to the map of trees as proposed by T&M on page 61 of their plan:

It looks like the existing trees will be chopped down and replaced with tiny ones along the paths.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 2:54

Hamilton Park Final Plans
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
It is my privilege to both invite residents and publicize a meeting that we will be having on March 22nd at 7PM in the Hamilton Square Building (old nursing school, 1 McWilliams Place) regarding the Hamilton Park renovation. We have steadily been moving this project forward for several months based on community input, and on March 22nd will be the final opportunity to review the plan and suggest any last minute changes.

The Hamilton Park process has been a great example of community involvement as we have had a tremendous turnout at the previous meetings and I sincerely hope it continues through this final stage. I am confident that the plans now take into consideration all the community input provided from the previous meetings, but it still is always best if you can find time to join us on March 22nd.

Sincerely,
Steven Fulop

Posted on: 2007/3/6 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

25mcwilliams wrote:
The Parks Master Plan, including Hamilton Park has been posted to the JC web site. Note the price tag that T&M calculated:

Yeah, I reviewed it last night! Interesting in that from my notes posted earlier in this thread that they managed to come down on the high side of their prior estimate at the public mtg:

Quote:
BrightMoment wrote:
[...]T&M/Public comments:
*Preliminary costs estimated at 2 to 5 million (T&M comment)

Some of the costs seem on it's face to be totally out of line ($10,000 for 1 "Community Bulletin Board??)

Posted on: 2006/11/22 22:14
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/29 17:28
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Parks Master Plan, including Hamilton Park has been posted to the JC web site. Note the price tag that T&M calculated:

Posted on: 2006/11/22 17:01
25mc Watchdog Group
www.25mc.com Blog
www.25mc.org Web Site

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

25mcwilliams wrote:
I was concerned that T&M did not have anyone taking notes at the meeting. I assume at the public meeting at city hall on 9/21 there will be minutes taken(stenographer?), and hopefully more structure such as a sign in to speak so nobody gets left out. The summary of the meeting - not minutes and far from complete, as appears on the 25mc site was e-mailed to Jeff of T &M.

Quote:

tern wrote:
I agree that these public mettings seems informal and ad-hoc. Are T&M actually noting down the points raised during these feedback sessions, and subsequently formally incorporating or rejecting them?

How is the feedback process supposed to work?

Robin.

I was equally concerned, re: note taking, but then T&M did an excellent job overall as a result of listening to everyone who appeared at the open meetings they had prior to the "concept design", including the meeting at City Hall that Sam Pesin filmed.

And the HPNA Park Renovation survey was instrumental in the "feedback process", the most substantive document for T&M to work with together with the public meetings.

I spoke to Geoff Elkind(HPNA) tonight who is out of town and asked that I convey both our support for T&M's overall design (we feel they hit a home run), that with feedback here and at mtgs., will work out the details;

We both feel the need to establish a co-operative committee with the private sector, city, county, neighborhood groups and work to find the funds to make T&M's "concept design" a reality without all the monies coming from the city.

25mcwilliams posted excellent comments from his note-taking (check out his site and blog)and I'll just add a few below.

As I pointed out at the last T&M/HP meeting:

I recommend that T&M master plan incorporate formal New Jersey Tree Foundation/USDA Forest Service "10 Cities Initiative" that JC is part of, as guiding plan to both manage trees in HP and opportunity to obtain federal funds by following guidelines which include:

*Establishment of a tree commission or tree body
*Development of a 5-yr. Community Forestry Management Plan (CFMP)
*Coordination of a tree (planting) event with local partners and community
*Collection of baseline data including tree assessments and census info
*Development of a report highlighting this initiative as part of T&M Master Plan for HP
Jeff of T&M agreed this was good idea

T&M/Public comments:
*Preliminary costs estimated at 2 to 5 million (T&M comment)
*HP is 5 acres and there are 67 parks in Jersey City (T&M comment)
*Estimate 3-9months before bid docs for construction go out (T&M comment)
*Bid docs projected to go out by next spring 2007(T&M comment)
*Start landscaping/construction by earliest at summer 2007(T&M comment)
(most took objection to doing construction in summer due to use)
*Suggest construction starting in fall 2007 as it will take 3 to 4 months (public comment)
*Dog run must be divided between two runs: small dogs and large dogs. Many hot issues if this not done with dog community as small dogs can get hurt mixing with large dogs.(public comment not voiced)

So congrats to all involved with that HPNA survey, congrats to Minnie and FOHP for their feedback, congrats to Steve Fulop, Peter Brennan, Tom Degise, the Mayor, T&M and most importantly:

Those of you who "MAKE THE TIME" to come to meetings and get involved with the process, irrespective of your busy schedules. That's what makes a neighborhood and an involved citizenry, IMHO.

Posted on: 2006/9/5 22:43

Edited by BrightMoment on 2006/9/5 23:43:15
Resized Image

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
In the planned VVP dog run the interior trees are surrounded by circular benches, so that shouldn't be a problem in Hamilton Park if the run is moved to where the de facto run is now.

Quote:

ccitizen wrote:
I know people were suggesting that the dog run gets moved to the location where the de facto dog run is now. How many trees do you think they will have to cut down? Perhaps it would be possible to incorporate the trees into the dog run? From what I can tell, it looks like 3-5 might be at risk.

Posted on: 2006/9/5 21:18
25mc Watchdog Group
www.25mc.com Blog
www.25mc.org Web Site

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/22 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
I know people were suggesting that the dog run gets moved to the location where the de facto dog run is now. How many trees do you think they will have to cut down? Perhaps it would be possible to incorporate the trees into the dog run? From what I can tell, it looks like 3-5 might be at risk.

Posted on: 2006/9/5 20:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was concerned that T&M did not have anyone taking notes at the meeting. I assume at the public meeting at city hall on 9/21 there will be minutes taken(stenographer?), and hopefully more structure such as a sign in to speak so nobody gets left out. The summary of the meeting - not minutes and far from complete, as appears on the 25mc site was e-mailed to Jeff of T &M.

Quote:

tern wrote:
I agree that these public mettings seems informal and ad-hoc. Are T&M actually noting down the points raised during these feedback sessions, and subsequently formally incorporating or rejecting them?

Robin.

Posted on: 2006/9/5 15:40
25mc Watchdog Group
www.25mc.com Blog
www.25mc.org Web Site

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2006/9/5 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The problem I see with this process is that as of right now there doesn't actually appear to be any accountability in the meetings with T&M. It seems individuals can suggest all we want, but so far there's been no indication of a concensus building process in this stage.

When HPNA was shown the plans for the Enos Jones Park renovation 8 years ago residents had all sorts of suggestions, including a dog run. All of them were ignored. I'd hate to see that happen here. My first thought was that a show of hands "straw vote" would be useful on the issues that are negotiable within the accepted guidelines of the survey results, but that doesn't seem in the cards.

So, since your opinion will not actually be asked, if you want your voice to be heard on the suggestions and issues discussed in this thread or anyting else you had better stand up and speak tonight.

Posted on: 2006/9/5 14:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The second Park Renovation meeting is tonight 9/5/2006 at 7PM St. Francis. Concerns expressed in the public comment section include:

*Some attendees asked that the open areas remain active recreation space, while others desired that the grassy areas remain passive.
*There were differing views on the optimal size of the gardens. Some mentioned they were too large and others stated that they were too small. Mr. Botger stated that his personal opinion was the gardens were informal and unkempt.
*There was concern about the noise in the area of the basketball courts. Mr. Botger stated that this was an enforcement issue. Attendees disagreed. Other measures should be used to improve quality of life for nearby residents.
Other concerns:
* Drainage should be improved. Flooding in the park caused by heavy rains is a problem.
* Low shrubs are desirable for the safety of children.
* A pet free area was not designated in the drawings, which is a feature strongly backed by the majority of residents.
* Signage was not included as of yet.
* Free wireless internet available in the park.
* Remove the tall bushes and junipers from around the gazebo for safety and aesthetic reasons.
* The children?s garden was not included.
* Locate the children's fountain to the west side of the gazebo. A recessed fountain should be used, similar to the fountain in Pier A, Hoboken. When the water is turned off the space can be used.
* The square shape of the dog run does not use the space efficiently.
* The picnic and chess tables are areas where alcohol is misused. Move the tables to within the children's play area fencing, or take other action to discourage illicit activity.
* One of the tennis courts should be eliminated.
* Several bulletin boards located at other locations - not West Hamilton.
* Sports and foot traffic damage the grass. Close off sections of the grassy areas to let grass regrow. Alternate access to these open areas.
* Temporary of permanent art installation.
* Six foot wide jogging path around the inner perimeter of the park.

A summary of the 8/30 meeting is available at the 25mc Blog.

Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
Hopefully you all have been doing well and enjoying the summer.

I have been working with T&M and other city officials to push forward with the Hamilton Park renovation project, and as a result have scheduled three meetings for public feedback on the drawings.

As a side note, the initial drawing will of course be based on the community surveys that were completed earlier as well as initial input/ideas from the different community groups based in Hamilton Park

Best Regards and looking forward to moving this forward with your help.

Steven Fulop

Dates
8/30 - Initial drawings
9/5 - Initial drawings
9/21 - Revised drawings

Location and Time ?
St. Francis at 7PM

Posted on: 2006/9/5 14:30
25mc Watchdog Group
www.25mc.com Blog
www.25mc.org Web Site

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
I would prefer the oldest arts organization in JC, under whose aegis the annual Jersey City Artists Studio Tour was begun by Charles Kessler in 1990:

Sounds fine, whatever works.

DrEvil,

The art of public speaking without a mike is clearly lost. It seems people are taught as children NEVER to raise their voice, even speaking to a crowd. We face this problem continually in Q&A's at HPNA meetings. You ask someone to speak up, and they continue at exactly the same inaudible level. My wife's default voice is nearly a whisper, no matter how much background noise there is! I thought I was going deaf till I was tested and found she was gaslighting me. If you attend theater, you'll know that there is no venue too small for the singers to be body miked, because they have no training to project. Sorry for the rant; a pet peeve from someone often criticised for speaking too loudly.

As for kids at the meeting, parents are perennially underrepresented at community meetings, so it was great to see them there if bringing the kids is what it takes!

Posted on: 2006/9/3 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DrEvil wrote:
Well I dont know if cell phones and people talking to neighbors through the meeting was the biggest problem with hearing what was going on. I have a hearing difficulty(probably casued by years in cryostasis) and I was able to follow most of it but for:

(i) some of the people asking questions were terrible mumblers. The questions had to be repeated. The answers were crystal clear. Boy are you ever so right! And how many times did the T&M guy say: "state your full name, where you live, before asking question" And some of these mumblers would keep stating their same point, over and over, ad nauseum. But then that's part of the "fun" of public meetings, people who don't listen and enjoy hearing themselves speak.

(ii) I know you should never complain about these things but, the large number of very little people in attendance. I have never attended a residents meeting with so many children in tow. Perhaps because this was a meeting about a park that some people thought it was pertinent for their children to be there. I never inflicted this kind of torture on my child, Scott, even being the evil person I am. I think I will have to send Fat Bastard to the next meeting.

LMAHO! Yeah, lots of tykes, kids, and guess none could find babysitters or felt that draggin' their babies along would give some kind of visual demo of where they stood on the park, ie, need for kid playgrounds/gardens.

Despite all that is was a very positive meeting, if a little uncomfortable for all the disturbances.

yes, perhaps the most effective mtg. I've been to in a long time, co-operative, informative, and most everyone got a chance to make their query, make their comments with feedback, and follow-up. Excellent mtg.!

Posted on: 2006/9/2 22:45
Resized Image

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/8/12 22:34
Group:
Registered Users
Well I dont know if cell phones and people talking to neighbors through the meeting was the biggest problem with hearing what was going on. I have a hearing difficulty(probably casued by years in cryostasis) and I was able to follow most of it but for:

(i) some of the people asking questions were terrible mumblers. The questions had to be repeated. The answers were crystal clear.

(ii) I know you should never complain about these things but, the large number of very little people in attendance. I have never attended a residents meeting with so many children in tow. Perhaps because this was a meeting about a park that some people thought it was pertinent for their children to be there. I never inflicted this kind of torture on my child, Scott, even being the evil person I am. I think I will have to send Fat Bastard to the next meeting.

Despite all that is was a very positive meeting, if a little uncomfortable for all the disturbances.

Posted on: 2006/9/2 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
I agree with both you and Brewster on temporary art. NO permanent pieces (see LSP topic thread to see why!), but rotated pieces open to ALL galleries and museums to submit, NOT just curated by JC Museum, will give great locale for diversity of art here in JC.

I would think it SHOULD showcase local art, but someone's got to be in charge of quality control and space design. If not the museum, then some other responsible arts organization under some sort of deal with the city.

Thanks for supporting the plaza idea.

I would prefer the oldest arts organization in JC, under whose aegis the annual Jersey City Artists Studio Tour was begun by Charles Kessler in 1990:

"PRO ARTS IS...
an organization of professionals in the visual arts mainly from Jersey City and the surrounding metropolitan area who are working to promote the visual arts and to better communicate Jersey City's identity as a growing arts center"

ProArts represents a much more diverse group of artists than does the JC Museum, is less "institutionalized" (less cozy with politics/politicians) and a quality organization worth supporting.

Without ProArts there would be no continuation of the Jersey City Artists Studio Tour which would be sad indeed.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/9/2 3:11
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
I agree with both you and Brewster on temporary art. NO permanent pieces (see LSP topic thread to see why!), but rotated pieces open to ALL galleries and museums to submit, NOT just curated by JC Museum, will give great locale for diversity of art here in JC.

I would think it SHOULD showcase local art, but someone's got to be in charge of quality control and space design. If not the museum, then some other responsible arts organization under some sort of deal with the city.

Thanks for supporting the plaza idea.

Posted on: 2006/9/2 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Minnie wrote:
I think the planners should entertain temporary art installations to be showcased, and it should have some soft landscaping boundary protection.

I also think that some portion of this park plan should be allocated to passive open space, and not just open space.

Looking at T&M's plans (thumbnail below)there are several area quandrants(from 5 o'clock on the spokes to 10 o'clock)bordered by West Hamilton Place that are "open space" and just like most parks, whether that area is "passive" or not is usually based on the social contract of who got there first, civility, neighborliness and common sense.
Resized Image

Green open space looks good on paper, but when it's dominated by balls and bats, it's no longer safe. If you've never been hit in the face by a fly ball you probably don't understand where I'm coming from. But it's pretty tough to sit in a lawn chair or lay on a blanket and read a book to catch some rays with folks batting balls your way.

If I saw you there "...laying on a blanket reading a book to catch some rays...", I would think it uncivil, unneighborly and total lack of common sense to start throwing a frisbee, batting a ball near where you were laying. I would say you'd have every right to complain, tell them to FU, or kick dirt in their face. I just don't think that you're going to to get T&M declaring "open space" as "passive space" or that this is gonna fly, but then good luck on getting it as if the majority support you, good on you.

One person at the meeting the other night said he wanted to see 'something' in the center of the open lawn to prevent the ball playing from continuing. The police do not respond to these kinds of matters and it will not change. Creative ways to prevent it should be considered. His solution to add landscaping, a tree (or art) in the center would help to prevent it.

Looking at the current plans there are 3 ball courts, 2 playgrounds, 1 dog run, and central social area. That is a lot of activity. One or two (of the 4) open lawns could surely be allocated for passive open space and include art works that could be rotated every few months, to appease those of us that like to look at things that don't move.

Although I agree that the gazebo is looking kind of shabby.... it is a nice place to hold events and concerts. It has come in handy on occasions when it rains and the people run for shelter. It would be a shame to take it out of the plans altogether.

No one at the mtg., including T&M, suggested to take the gazebo "...out of the plans altogether." and as Brewster's excellent idea here is to incorporate moving the fountain to the central plaza for all-seasonal multiple-utility, while keeping the Gazebo, but refurbished. Brewster's suggestion is instead a "WIN, WIN" solution!.

I agree that the gazebo is both shelter, bandstand and it's historical significance for Hamilton Park is full of rich history, so NO on getting rid of the gazebo!!

Resized Image

The fountain is a nice idea. But if we keep packing things in, something has to go. Just not the gazebo. Choose wisely.

Once again you're setting up a straw man argument: there is NO "Choose wisely" and an "either/or" on the gazebo/fountain!

T&M's original drawings AND Brewster's excellent revision, show BOTH gazebo and fountain and doing BOTH does not "...keep packing things in...". That's why we have professional landscape designers, of which T&M has over 40 years of excellent landscape design of parks, IMHO.

REDUX!
Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/9/1 22:52

Edited by BrightMoment on 2006/9/1 23:29:14
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I think the planners should entertain temporary art installations to be showcased, and it should have some soft landscaping boundary protection.

I also think that some portion of this park plan should be allocated to passive open space, and not just open space.

Green open space looks good on paper, but when it's dominated by balls and bats, it's no longer safe. If you've never been hit in the face by a fly ball you probably don't understand where I'm coming from. But it's pretty tough to sit in a lawn chair or lay on a blanket and read a book to catch some rays with folks batting balls your way.

One person at the meeting the other night said he wanted to see 'something' in the center of the open lawn to prevent the ball playing from continuing. The police do not respond to these kinds of matters and it will not change. Creative ways to prevent it should be considered. His solution to add landscaping, a tree (or art) in the center would help to prevent it.

Looking at the current plans there are 3 ball courts, 2 playgrounds, 1 dog run, and central social area. That is a lot of activity. One or two (of the 4) open lawns could surely be allocated for passive open space and include art works that could be rotated every few months, to appease those of us that like to look at things that don't move.

Although I agree that the gazebo is looking kind of shabby.... it is a nice place to hold events and concerts. It has come in handy on occasions when it rains and the people run for shelter. It would be a shame to take it out of the plans altogether.

The fountain is a nice idea. But if we keep packing things in, something has to go. Just not the gazebo. Choose wisely.

Posted on: 2006/9/1 13:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/12/10 5:50
Group:
Registered Users
having a fountain as beautiful as the one depicted is beyond my ability to dream....

although, if all this money is to be spent...how fantastic would it be to have a fountain in the center of the park! Especially when they are talking about one 50 feet away from the center. I know we'll lose a play or a musical once or twice a year that is elevated...but can you imagine how beautiful a distinctive fountain (we could get international bids and lots more money donated to the cause) would be in the center of ham park. really, compared to what is there now, a world class fountain would really put downtown on the cultural map (ok, i'm getting carried away :>).

Posted on: 2006/9/1 6:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/12/10 5:50
Group:
Registered Users
having a fountain as beautiful as the one depicted is beyond my ability to dream....

although, if all this money is to be spent...how fantastic would it be to have a fountain in the center of the park! Especially when they are talking about one 50 feet away from the center. I know we'll lose a play or a musical once or twice a year that is elevated...but can you imagine how beautiful a distinctive fountain (we could get international bids and lots more money donated to the cause) would be in the center of ham park. really, compared to what is there now, a world class fountain would really put downtown on the cultural map (ok, i'm getting carried away :>).

Posted on: 2006/9/1 6:28

« 1 ... 39 40 41 (42) 43 44 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017