Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 'One-strike' you're out for drug-related crimes - Jersey City now gives families a second chance
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
Throwing people out from public housing doesn't address the problem - it will just create new ones. (spare me a bench at Hamilton or VVPark for an example of many)

I can't believe that JC lawmakers are that dumb, its such a 'knee jerk' political reaction.

Another issue that makes me feel like I know what it must of felt like when the Roman Empire collapsed!

Posted on: 2006/8/28 15:21

Re: 'One-strike' you're out for drug-related crimes - Jersey City now gives families a second chance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
I don;t have any issues with being convicted before anyone gets tossed out onto the street, but lets all be fair when viewing this subject and look at all the facts, that I'm most certain the JJ has failed to print up .

These laws are on the books because all else has failed and it's probably one of the very few hammers that LE has available to deal with all this crap .

In most cases the money is so good that the family even though they may not agree with the activitys of some family member, they choose to turn the other way because of the income factor....

Unless anyone else on this board has anything constructive to add, please spare us all with the "Lets wait until proven guilty" BS, Because we all know what the real deal is here !!

CK

Posted on: 2006/8/28 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I'm no expert but I think that someone in the family or on the lease has to first be convicted of something -- however the issue is that it can be "drug related" and not a conviction for dealing drugs, before everyone in the unit can be all tossed out of public housing -- but again I am no expert -- But I do believe they have to first be "convicted" of something (drug related)

It is a problem though for Jersey City if Hoboken is kicking out all it's trouble makers (30 familys this year) from public housing (not to mention West New York) where are these people going to move? Jersey City?

Posted on: 2006/8/28 14:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
So riddle me this cankicker? Let's say someone is accused of dealing drugs and it turns out they were innocent. Meanwhile their whole family has been evicted. What happens now?

I am all for a one strike and your out penalty in public housing. I just feel they should be found guilty first.

Posted on: 2006/8/28 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
It's that type of Liberal thinking that has allowed for this Bullshit to exist in our neighboorhoods for such a long time .

Hey, you can't help but to feel bad for this lady, but then again, this isn't something out of the blue, this is something that was allready known.....

CK

Posted on: 2006/8/28 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
people accused of committing drug-related crimes

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?" So now we are in a county where mere accusation can deprive you of your home???

A sad world!

Posted on: 2006/8/28 13:31

'One-strike' you're out for drug-related crimes - Jersey City now gives families a second chance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
'One-strike' policy striking more often

Jersey Journal
Monday, August 28, 2006

The "one-strike" policy being more frequently used in Hoboken is also being used more in another city with a housing authority run by Bob DiVincent, West New York, and the policy could soon be on the upswing in other Hudson County public housing complexes, as well.

DiVincent said the policy of kicking out people accused of committing drug-related crimes along with anyone else living in their apartments makes public housing safer and sends a message that drugs won't be tolerated. Eviction proceedings are underway against 30 families in Hoboken this year, he said, while three families have been kicked out in West New York in the last two years.

But the policy is controversial, said Maria Maio, executive director of the Jersey City Housing Authority.

"The problem is evicting the entire family," Maio said. Three years ago, Jersey City had increased its usage of the policy and evicted nearly 30 families, said Maio. Its actions were met with much criticism, and it has since scaled back its use of the policy, she said.

Jersey City now gives families a second chance by removing the name of the offender from the lease. Under this condition, the rest of the family can avoid eviction, Maio said. Last year, just five families were evicted.

According to the North Bergen Housing Authority, that township evicted two families last year.

The Bayonne Housing Authority took three cases to court between July 1, 2005, and June 30, 2006, said John Mahon, director of the Bayonne Housing Authority. Two cases resulted in evictions, while the third family was allowed to stay.

Posted on: 2006/8/28 12:33

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017