Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Press Release - Steven Fulop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
While this is certainly not the worst example of a conflict of interest on the city council, this is a significant issue and directly related to numerous municipal problems.

A greater conflict of interest is the acceptance of campaign contributions from developers/property owners and then voting on redevelopment plans, changes/upzoning ammending the redevelopment plans, and of course property tax abatement agreements benefiting them. Prior to his council campaign, Councilman Fulop spoke at a city council meeting on this linkage / quid pro quo.

I support his effort to challenge the newly reconstituted Ethics Board on this issue and hope he continues to expose how Jersey City elected officials are compromised in representing the public

Posted on: 2006/8/29 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
BM, check your PM
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Hey super_furry, we both met GrovePath and he's a great guy...

Posted on: 2006/8/27 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
Jeez, just lay off and let him have some fun. GrovePath is probably 80 years old with a pacemaker, gets up at the crack of dawn to get his copy of JJ before it gets stolen from his doorstep, and painstakingly selects/posts the stories that WE at JCLIST might find interesting. Some gratitude - NOT!

Hey super_furry, we both met GrovePath and he's a great guy with a nice friend too, bought you and I and others at our table a drink if you remember (I ain't sayin' where ).

So he's cool, but as I told fasteddie I start to think the alz is creepin' in when I see the same post several times in a topic thread.

GrovePath, if you feel strongly about keepin' the topic on the top of the charts just make some comment, like bump or otherwise; that's sufficient.

Posted on: 2006/8/27 3:08
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
Yes super_furry, but grovepath could also be a toothless 280 pound 65 year old table-top dancer.

The issue is that grovepath seems to re-submit topics. I always find topics submitted by grovepath as interesting, just that there is no need to keep re-submitting them.

Posted on: 2006/8/27 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jeez, just lay off and let him have some fun. GrovePath is probably 80 years old with a pacemaker, gets up at the crack of dawn to get his copy of JJ before it gets stolen from his doorstep, and painstakingly selects/posts the stories that WE at JCLIST might find interesting. Some gratitude - NOT!

Quote:

Australian wrote:
I agree with you brightmoment, grovepath seems to be looking for more discussion from this subject matter - if there isn't, grovepath just re-submits it.

Posted on: 2006/8/26 23:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with you brightmoment, grovepath seems to be looking for more discussion from this subject matter - if there isn't, grovepath just re-submits it.

If you looking for a specific response grovepath then you give it, don't worry everyone will let you know if we agree or not.

Posted on: 2006/8/26 23:33

Re: "If I pick off everyone with a conflict of interest on City Council, we may not have a council."
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
2 too close to PJP to vote, Fulop says
Friday, August 25, 2006
By JARRETT RENSHAW - JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Downtown Jersey City Councilman Steve Fulop believes his council colleagues Mariano Vega Jr. and Mary Spinello should sit out further votes on the controversial warehouse proposed for the old PJP landfill in Jersey City.

Hey, GrovePath, you're a nice guy and all but WTF?

Everytime I go to a topic thread you're either reposting the same news info twice (look in this thread by example), or posting articles that are available by link to the Jersey Journal or Jersey City Reporter. Why don't you just post the link instead?

Also, why don't you make some comments about these news items you post rather than just being an observor stirring the pot?

Just a suggestion and feel free to tell me to go cufk myself1

Posted on: 2006/8/26 23:19
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

"If I pick off everyone with a conflict of interest on City Council, we may not have a council."
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Friday, August 25, 2006
By JARRETT RENSHAW - JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Downtown Jersey City Councilman Steve Fulop believes his council colleagues Mariano Vega Jr. and Mary Spinello should sit out further votes on the controversial warehouse proposed for the old PJP landfill in Jersey City.

Fulop said yesterday he plans to ask the Jersey City Ethics Commission to render an opinion on the subject since both Vega and Spinello have full-time government jobs connected with the site.

Vega - an opponent of the warehouse and proponent of open space at the site - serves as the Hudson County director of Parks, Engineering and Planning.

Spinello serves as the deputy director of administration for the Jersey City Incinerator Authority and has played a role in levying fines for illegal dumping against a company that occupies part of the 87-acre site, Fulop said.

Spinello, who supports the warehouse proposal, is also behind an "area in need of redevelopment" plan that would give the city the right to seize the property of the company she's cited for illegal dumping, Fulop said.

"There are laws in place in more than half of the other states that prohibit this type of conflict of interest. Two hundred fifty thousand people in this city would probably agree with me that one job conflicts with the other," Fulop said.

Both Vega and Spinello responded that they vote their conscience, and their full-time jobs provide them with insight on the topic.

"I don't see it as a conflict. I probably have better knowledge of these issues than the other council people because of my job," Spinello said. "I would wish Mr. Fulop would have the decency to have these conversations with me and not the newspaper."

Vega, a longtime advocate for parks, questioned Fulop's motivations.

"I am not sure what (Fulop) hopes to get out of it, perhaps he is paranoid about conspiracy theories," Vega said.

Since March, the City Council has kept tabled a vote on zoning changes that would allow California-based AMB to build the proposed 883,000-square-foot warehouse.

The Ethics Commission meets Sept. 21.

Noticeably absent from Fulop's criticism were Council members Bill Gaughan, Peter Brennan and Viola Richardson, all of whom have salaried positions with the county.

"Firstly, they are not having direct oversight of the site," said Fulop. "If I pick off everyone with a conflict of interest on City Council, we may not have a council."

Posted on: 2006/8/26 21:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Doesn't the State have checks and balances on this sort of impropriety - don't they have guildlines to follow on staff recruitment and appointment?

Posted on: 2006/8/25 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Aussie, if you only knew how many councilmen have family on the city payroll your head would spin,perhaps counter clock wise but spin none the less.
Lets not even talk about freinds.Of the nine councilmen i would say there are at least thirty family members on the county,city and various boards.All paid and with Benefits.

Posted on: 2006/8/25 16:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe someone should start a genealogy of middle management and higher of staff members at Cityhall and include management in the Police, emergency service departments, city service providers and contractors to see how much it is a family and friends network.

I guess cityhall might like to consider themselves as a family friendly work place - so long as its our family not yours!

There must be someone out there who loves a good witch hunt.

Posted on: 2006/8/25 16:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/9/8 15:25
Group:
Registered Users
The problem is the state allows this. We need to get some reform at the state level. We need to tell our state legislators to do something. Problem is, they all are dual office holders around here.

Posted on: 2006/8/25 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
This is why anyone who works for the county should not be able to be a City councilperson.Conflict of intrest is built into the job discription.The PJP site is just one example.

Vega runs the county parks and would be the one overseeing the golf course.How many more employees will he want to work the site.

Spinello works for the JCIA which is responsible for inspec ting sites like PJP for complience.Her working for a city agency in and of its self is a conflict.She votes on her own budget.

As for the rest of the council some are more in the gray zone than others.

Willie Flood is now running for County Register and her husband is the chairman of the JCIA,making him spinello's boss.

Steve lipski,what else needs to be said,the guys got a tattoo of Steve Hymen on his ass.

Bill Gaughan is chief of staff to county ex.Tom DeGise and will no doubt have a phone and fax installed at every tee on the golf course so as not to miss work while he golfs
Pete brennan also works for the county ex and has a conflict with the PJP landfill becoming a golf course as he will be the one who carries Bill Gaughans golf bag and does all the washing of the balls and such.

Viola richardson also works for the county at the jail and may have to strip search wild and crazy bill and pete after they have been arrested on the course for fighting with other golfers over tee times.

That leaves Satalano and Fulop.What a City.......

Posted on: 2006/8/25 15:38

Edited by mrrogers on 2006/8/25 16:27:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"I don't see it as a conflict. I probably have better knowledge of these issues than the other council people because of my job," Spinello said.

If that isn't a conflict right there, then what is?

It is because you are directly involved, that you should sustain from voting on this issue.
Because of Spinellos position / capacity in this area, he should only advise the board / council on the situation like an expert witness might, but he shouldn't vote on the verdict or outcome.

Spinello must understand, you can't be a prosecutor or council for a defendant and also sit on the jury.

Posted on: 2006/8/25 13:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/29 17:28
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Friday, August 25, 2006
By JARRETT RENSHAW
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Fulop said yesterday he plans to ask the Jersey City Ethics Commission to render an opinion on the subject since both Vega and Spinello have full-time government jobs connected with the site.

Vega - an opponent of the warehouse and proponent of open space at the site - serves as the Hudson County director of Parks, Engineering and Planning.

Spinello serves as the deputy director of administration for the Jersey City Incinerator Authority and has played a role in levying fines for illegal dumping against a company that occupies part of the 87-acre site, Fulop said.

Spinello, who supports the warehouse proposal, is also behind an "area in need of redevelopment" plan that would give the city the right to seize the property of the company she's cited for illegal dumping, Fulop said.

"There are laws in place in more than half of the other states that prohibit this type of conflict of interest. Two hundred fifty thousand people in this city would probably agree with me that one job conflicts with the other," Fulop said.

Both Vega and Spinello responded that they vote their conscience, and their full-time jobs provide them with insight on the topic.

"I don't see it as a conflict. I probably have better knowledge of these issues than the other council people because of my job," Spinello said. "I would wish Mr. Fulop would have the decency to have these conversations with me and not the newspaper."

Vega, a longtime advocate for parks, questioned Fulop's motivations.

"I am not sure what (Fulop) hopes to get out of it, perhaps he is paranoid about conspiracy theories," Vega said.

Since March, the City Council has kept tabled a vote on zoning changes that would allow California-based AMB to build the proposed 883,000-square-foot warehouse.

The Ethics Commission meets Sept. 21.

Noticeably absent from Fulop's criticism were Council members Bill Gaughan, Peter Brennan and Viola Richardson, all of whom have salaried positions with the county.

"Firstly, they are not having direct oversight of the site," said Fulop. "If I pick off everyone with a conflict of interest on City Council, we may not have a council."

? 2006 The Jersey Journal
? 2006 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Posted on: 2006/8/25 13:30
25mc Watchdog Group
www.25mc.com Blog
www.25mc.org Web Site

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/29 17:28
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I believe Mayor Healy.

Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Sir-

Who appointed this ethics board? As a newer resident I am just coming up to speed with some of these issues.

I believe this action on your part is exactly the type of work our local government should be taking on, and appreciate the effort.

Thanks,

bd

Posted on: 2006/8/25 13:28
25mc Watchdog Group
www.25mc.com Blog
www.25mc.org Web Site

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Sir-

Who appointed this ethics board? As a newer resident I am just coming up to speed with some of these issues.

I believe this action on your part is exactly the type of work our local government should be taking on, and appreciate the effort.

Thanks,

bd

Posted on: 2006/8/24 17:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
JMags-

The PJP next vote will be in October so there is plenty of time. I think that most people would say this is an issue even on a broader scale but you never know and I guess we will just see.

The ethics board which was just appointed is supposed to be an independent board of politics so I guess we will see on that front as well.

Steve

Posted on: 2006/8/24 17:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/9/8 15:25
Group:
Registered Users
How long should it take for them to issue an opinion on this?

Posted on: 2006/8/24 17:15

Press Release - Steven Fulop
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
I am posting this press release that was sent to the papers today. Importantly, I am not charging an ethics violation here but I think this is a real issue for the city and I am merely pushing forward what most people already realize as a problem. In order to continue progress in this city we are at a place this stuff needs to fundamentally change and this PJP issue highlights it.

-----------------------------------

Jersey City Councilman Steven Fulop

For immediate release

August 24, 2006

COUNCILMAN FULOP TO ASK ETHICS BOARD FOR OFFICIAL OPINION
Dual positions could pose conflict of interest on PJP Landfill site ordinance

(JERSEY CITY) ? Councilman Steve Fulop has announced that next week he will file a formal request seeking an official opinion of the Jersey City Board of Ethics as to whether certain members of the Jersey City Municipal Council should be permitted to vote on the zoning ordinance or redevelopment plan for the PJP Landfill site and Trophy Trucking.

Fulop will ask for an opinion on two members of the council, Council President Mariano Vega who supports open space and Councilwoman Mary Spinello who has been an advocate for the redevelopment plan including the warehouse as those who should be given an opinion as to whether they should abstain due to their possible conflicts of interest and personal involvement with the site.

Councilman Vega, as part of his job with the County of Hudson, is directly in charge of handling grants for open space preservation and Hudson County parks. The county Freeholder board has already earmarked $4 million dollars of which the county is prepared to use for acquisition of the PJP Landfill site and which will directly effect the councilman?s responsibility in the county.

Councilwoman Spinello, in her official duties with the Jersey City Incinerator Authority has been very involved with Incinerator Authority?s citation of the Trophy Trucking site and has personally both been to the site and issued several violations in the recent past in her role within the Jersey City Incinerator Authority. This is the same property that Councilwoman Spinello has proposed to acquire through the use of eminent domain as part of the redevelopment plan including the PJP landfill. This potentially raises the question to the perception of independent government and the commingling of city responsibilities which is prohibited.

"I am not filing a complaint but merely asking for a written and formal opinion of the ethics board as to whether these members of the council should be voting on this particular ordinance since they have direct involvement with the site" said Fulop, ?This has been on my mind for quite some time and this PJP issue has only further strengthened my concerns regarding independent government for the residents.?

# # # # #

Posted on: 2006/8/24 17:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017