Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Port Liberte - Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
OK, so for right now, you cannot go all the way around the golf course? Sounds like if I went down Chapel Ave. to PL and onto the walkway there, I would have to turn around and go back once I got to where the golf course is. Is that right? If so it's a bummer.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 13:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 2:34
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Just reiterating what others have said; the waterfront in Port Libert? is public. I live in Lafayette and love to jog or bike out there, from Liberty State Park, past the golf course along the boardwalk, and out through PL. Beautiful. There's damage from the storm, so the golf course stretch is closed right now, but you can still run along the PL portion, despite the damage. (I look forward to the repairs because the bird sanctuary alongside the golf course, only open in the winter, is gorgeous.)

Posted on: 2013/1/23 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Chapel Ave runs from Caven Point Rd to past Point Liberte Ferry ending at Point Liberty Resurant. All that area is public; the housing areas are posted private access with security gaurds patrols. At about halfway point is a steel bridge that crosses canal. There is a staircase that will take you down to a Public Walkway along canal, used by runners, bike riders, walkers/dogs. This walkway will go along the canal out to NY Harbor, it bears left heading north along the harbor. Following posted signs and it will take you thru the wetlands (safe boardwalk area) to the back of Liberty National which eventually leads to LPS main drive, Black Tom entry. This runs around the LPS waterfront, past Ellis Island to Old Train Terminal, Liberty House, Liberty Harbor Marina (Audrey Zapp Drive) and it could take you out to Jersey Ave by JCMC. About 6 miles... a nice ride, I hear lots of storm damage in areas. Have Fun!

Posted on: 2013/1/22 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Here's a question about Port Liberte for anyone who knows. Is it possible to go on foot (running) all the way around the golf course by going through PL, if you don't live there? What I mean is, starting at Caven Point Rd near the traffic circle, can I go along Caven Pt., left on Chapel Ave. all the way to the end at Port Liberte, and then go through the development to get to the waterfront walkway? From Google Maps, it looks like it would be a nice running route. Before I try it I'd like to know if I will be able to get through PL or if I would be stopped at the gate and forced to turn around....

I had some friends over a few weeks ago from Bed-stuy.. and we went bike riding all through the complex, no one ever said leave, I think if you look the part and not being obnoxious (its super quite within the complex) you will be fine IMO. I have used the dry cleaners, the restaurant , the market and took walks with my dogs. Where I live Ocean ave is being completed rebuild, with a pharmacy, doctors office, gallery, and there is even talk of a super market, but its not there yet, so I use PL for mostly everything without paying that high fee.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a question about Port Liberte for anyone who knows. Is it possible to go on foot (running) all the way around the golf course by going through PL, if you don't live there? What I mean is, starting at Caven Point Rd near the traffic circle, can I go along Caven Pt., left on Chapel Ave. all the way to the end at Port Liberte, and then go through the development to get to the waterfront walkway? From Google Maps, it looks like it would be a nice running route. Before I try it I'd like to know if I will be able to get through PL or if I would be stopped at the gate and forced to turn around....

Posted on: 2013/1/22 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
As a GV resident and With PL being a 5 min bike ride to the ferry and 10 min walk, I use all of its amenities :) without paying 6k a month.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:53

Re: Reviews on Port Liberte?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
I have a friend who is thinking of renting at Port Liberte. She has two small children and is wondering if it's safe and family-friendly.

Does anyone have any input that I could share with her?

Thanks...
I visited it once. It's a gated community with a guard at the entrance, seperated from the rest of the city by a path through the golf course. Pretty safe, but there's nothing to do around there. You wouldn't want to send your kids out to the corner store because they'd have to walk into Greenville

Posted on: 2011/10/24 13:58

Re: Reviews on Port Liberte?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
I have a friend who is thinking of renting at Port Liberte. She has two small children and is wondering if it's safe and family-friendly. Does anyone have any input that I could share with her? Thanks...

What is the condo maintenance/association fee minus the boat slip. And what is the owner to renter ration ? I don't think I would want to live in a place where most of the apartments have abesntee landlords.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 8:27

Reviews on Port Liberte?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I have a friend who is thinking of renting at Port Liberte. She has two small children and is wondering if it's safe and family-friendly.

Does anyone have any input that I could share with her?

Thanks...

Posted on: 2011/10/24 3:53

Re: Not just Downtown - Port Liberte is another example of Jersey City's scorching real estate market
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

simonJC wrote:
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
"We still pay more than in Central Jersey. It's expensive to live here," Dattolo said - adding they pay more than $6,000 per month in maintenance and homeowner association fees on her property and the boat slip behind the house.

is this for real? the guy is paying $6000 on maintainence fees A MONTH? does he own a mansion or something in port liberte?

it has to be a mistake, maybe he meant $600?

...my friend owns a couple of properties at Port Liberte and he told me the maintenance fees for a 2 bedroom condo is around $1200 a month.

I really doubt the $1,200/mo maintenance figure is for a 2-bedroom condo at Port Liberte.

Perhaps for one of the $2.5 mil townhouses, is more like it.

Go to www.portliberte.com and www.portliberte.biz, look at 2 or even 3-bedroom condos for sale - maintenance/month is always spelled out in the listing.

It ain't $1,200/mo.

Dunno where your friend got that figure.

Posted on: 2006/8/11 17:29

Re: Not just Downtown - Port Liberte is another example of Jersey City's scorching real estate market

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/13 15:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
"We still pay more than in Central Jersey. It's expensive to live here," Dattolo said - adding they pay more than $6,000 per month in maintenance and homeowner association fees on her property and the boat slip behind the house.

is this for real? the guy is paying $6000 on maintainence fees A MONTH? does he own a mansion or something in port liberte?

Not 100% if he meant $6000 but my friend owns a couple of properties at Port Liberte and he told me the maintenance fees for a 2 bedroom condo is around $1200 a month.

If he owns a boat slip, he probably owns one of the bigger properties at port liberte which might make the $6000 monthly fee a possibility.

It really amazes me how people can afford to buy at Port Liberte. With taxes and condo fees, i don't know how it's better to buy than rent.

Posted on: 2006/8/11 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Posted on: 2006/8/11 2:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/2/15 20:31
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you BRIGHT MOMENT....I knew that place reminded me of something....whispers in the back of my lower brain.

First, I confess to a secret wish to have quiet, pools, tennis, covered parking and a dock all in a safe quiet place -- my better suburban angels -- but I KNEW that place looked like something I'd seen...something to be feared at a primal level.

That having been said......
ITS THE FREAKING "PRISONER"......Secret Agent Man Redux.

No tame Disneyland metaphors....it is Evil I tell you. Evil.

On the other hand, if someone has a boat, I'm willing to take on, or even be a part of evil under certain conditions......

Posted on: 2006/8/9 14:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/14 20:38
From Journal Square / Marion
Group:
Registered Users
Don't forget the orginal concept and early of construction of what became Port Liberte and it's canals with the canals started in the 1980's long before the light rail was built.
Before the developers went bankrupt of course.
I think the developers thought at the time that everyone was going to be taking ferries....

Posted on: 2006/8/7 21:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rory_bellows wrote:
Quote:

simonJC wrote:
if anybody has any other questions about Port Liberte, i'll try my best to answer them.

I have a couple. If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason for moving from 3rd to Port Liberte- was it crime/safety issues? Also, do you have a boat there? If so, can we become friends?

No real reason for moving to Port Liberte specifically. My wife and I were expecting our first child so we were looking for an apt that included a parking spot. We were initially looking to move into the Roosevelt on 10th street but after finding out the rent of a 1br plus another $200 for parking, moving to Port Liberte worked out to be cheaper. I do not regret it one bit. I have loved every minute of living in port liberte. only downside is it'll be very hard to find another apt with similar amenities for the price.

And sorry to say, i do not own a boat. I am still looking to make friends with a resident that owns a boat. ;)

Posted on: 2006/8/7 19:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/23 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

simonJC wrote:
if anybody has any other questions about Port Liberte, i'll try my best to answer them.

I have a couple. If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason for moving from 3rd to Port Liberte- was it crime/safety issues? Also, do you have a boat there? If so, can we become friends?

Posted on: 2006/8/7 19:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Let me just point out that living in Port Liberte doesn't mean we have access to the golf course. Yes, the golf course is right next door but it definitely is not open to port liberte residents.

you gotta pay to play...as the saying goes.

Posted on: 2006/8/7 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Port Liberte - no crapkins, no chicken bones, no broken sidewalks, no garbage, no street noise, no roving bands of thugs, no muggings.

Instead - quiet canals, sailboats and ocean-going yachts, views of Manhattan, the Statue and Verrazano, waterfront walkway to jog or bike, manicured lawns, mature trees and well-maintained flower beds, safe playgrounds for children, two swimming pools and a golf course.

All that in Jersey City?

Bizarre and utterly out-of-place, indeed.

Posted on: 2006/8/7 19:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am currently living in Port Liberte. i moved here from living in downtown JC (on 3rd st between coles and monmouth). I am currently renting so i do not know any of the details about condo fees and such but it has been a really nice place to live so far. i work in tribeca so taking the ferry for me is not the best way to go. there is a nj transit (# 981) bus that runs from port liberte to the grove st path station mon-fri. like the ferry, there is no bus service on the weekends so owning a car is a must if you want to live in port lib. the ferry costs around $7 each way so taking the bus (which costs $1.25 each way) is a much better deal for me. The bus takes on average 20 minutes to get to the path station.

Posted on: 2006/8/7 18:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Trubrit wrote:
I don't get Port Liberte at all......

I mean, if they added piped music and people in furry animal costumes....I'd think I was at Disney World.

Gated community...to keep the weirdo's in...no doubt!

I agree. Definitely bizarro-world.

That said, it would be nice to have my own boat and slip right there in my backyard, sigh...

Posted on: 2006/8/7 18:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/12 11:16
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get Port Liberte at all......

I mean, if they added piped music and people in furry animal costumes....I'd think I was at Disney World.

Gated community...to keep the weirdo's in...no doubt!

Posted on: 2006/8/7 18:32

Re: Not just Downtown - Port Liberte is another example of Jersey City's scorching real estate mark

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/10 13:56
Group:
Registered Users
The ferry doesn't run at weekends and only up to about 9pm during the week

Posted on: 2006/8/7 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Funny you should ask -- I think the title of this article says it all --

All they need, and NYC just a ferry trip away
Monday, August 07, 2006

Dawn Dattolo is glad to be a statistic.

She and her husband - who works in Jersey City's financial district - moved to Port Liberte from Central Jersey two years ago after her kids left the nest.

"It's like our own little community here," Dattolo said. "We can take the ferry to Manhattan, go into Jersey City, and then return here."

Dattolo is admittedly not concerned with Jersey City politics, and in many ways who can blame her. Like others in her community, she and her husband have inherited a tax abatement, which means her taxes are stable, unaffected by the city's political winds.

The only reminders that the development lies within an urban environment are the views of Downtown Jersey City and Lower Manhattan. The community boasts a bank, day care, ferry to Manhattan, cleaners, mini-market, restaurant and spa, among other amenities. However, Dattolo says she does take advantage of Jersey City's restaurants and night life more than Manhattan's.

"If you were dropped right in the middle of this community, you would never feel like you were in Jersey City," said Michael Darata, project manager for Applied Development. "This is for people who work in Manhattan, but want to return to the suburbs."

Posted on: 2006/8/7 18:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just curious, does anyone know what the commuting options to Manhattan are from Port Liberte?

Posted on: 2006/8/7 17:53

Port Liberte - Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City, it's a model for hot market
Monday, August 07, 2006
By JARRETT RENSHAW
JERSEY JOURNAL

The marriage of the European-style Port Liberte development and the prestigious Liberty National Golf Course has sent home prices skyward and spurred developers' interest in an industrial area that dominates this part of the city.

Thus far, Applied Development of Hoboken has erected 805 units - a mixture of townhouses and condominiums - on the isolated corner of land in New York Harbor. The development features a man-made canal system that adds European charm and space for the residents' valuable water toys.

The next phase of development has already begun. It will include a mixture of medium and high-rise towers that will sit behind the current buildings. Once complete, which it's expected to be in 2012, the community will boast 1,813 residential units on 54 acres.

Liberty National Golf Course, dubbed the most expensive course ever built at $129 million, hugs the community's northern edge - creating a mental distance from the city and adding to the perception of suburban living in an urban setting.

The unique community is just another example of Jersey City's scorching real estate market. Units that five years ago sold for $240 per square foot are now selling at more than twice that, says Michael Darata, project manager for Applied Development, adding that several properties recently sold for nearly $2 million.

And now the golf course, combined with the success of the Port Liberte project, has spurred interest in this area of the city that has long been home to industry.

"We are now seeing a lot of interest in building residential properties between Port Liberte and Caven Point athletic fields and around Bayside Park, which is putting a lot of pressure on the industrial sites," said Bob Antonicello, head of Jersey City's Redevelopment Authority.

However, any major residential projects would have to include substantial changes to the zoning in the area, Antonicello said.

The future is now bright for Port Liberte, but it had a bleak beginning.

In the 1980s, a group of European investors and a Somerset bank that had begun construction at Port Liberte filed for bankruptcy after the real estate market went belly up and they were dragged down by the high costs of building the development's signature canals.

After a series of legal maneuvers, including a federal bailout of more than $1 billion worth of properties in the Garden State in the early 1990s, Applied Development bought the property.

Posted on: 2006/8/7 17:41

Edited by Webmaster on 2011/10/24 4:14:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017