Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bank Robber Tosses Money on Newark Avenue to Escape
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/16 1:14
Group:
Registered Users
It's easy to rob a bank b/c it's not the bank's money. Rather than hire decent security, risk getting shot, and face the ensuing lawsuits, they just hand over the cash and hire a single security guard for show. After a robbery, they call the feds, report what was stolen, and get a check from the FDIC. It's gotten to the point where the FBI is criticizing the banking industry for being too eager to hand over our cash. I give the security guard credit for even starting a foot chase.

So why didn't the guard shoot him in the back? The robber never said or showed a weapon, so I think he's considered unarmed. And once he's out on the street, the guard needs to take into consideration the innocent civilians he'll hit if he misses (or the bullet passes through the robber). I'm not sure what the rules are for a private guard once he leaves private property, but I'm kind of glad they don't just run out onto the streets and empty their clips like in the movies.

And yes, it's possible to rob a bank through the drive-thru window (at least according to google).

Posted on: 2006/5/24 17:49

Re: Another Bank on Newark Avenue Robbed
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
Not a good idea...

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?ne ... G=461&dept_id=44551&rfi=6
f
asteddie wrote:
Quote:

Anyway, I never realized it was so easy to rob a bank, it's easier than robbing a bike, you don't hafta cut the chain, and the banks don't seem to be too bothered by the robberies. I wonder if you can rob a bank using the drive thru? cause it really is an inconvienance to have to wait on line.

Posted on: 2006/5/24 17:36

Re: Another Bank on Newark Avenue Robbed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
In Saturday's robbery, the thief escaped a pursuing bank guard by throwing bills over his shoulder as he ran. The guard stopped to pick up the money, about $1,425, but the robber got away with $4,217.

Question for anyone who has the answer: don't bank guards usually carry guns? Are they not allowed to shoot bank robbers? if not, why do they have guns?
Now in the movies, the bank guard ALWAYS misses and the robber turns around and shoots him while running and looking over his shoulder. But I thought in real life, bank guards go to the range and practice shooting.
Anyway, I never realized it was so easy to rob a bank, it's easier than robbing a bike, you don't hafta cut the chain, and the banks don't seem to be too bothered by the robberies. I wonder if you can rob a bank using the drive thru? cause it really is an inconvienance to have to wait on line.

Posted on: 2006/5/24 16:08

Another Bank on Newark Avenue Robbed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Another hit by 'salt-and-pepper'

Wednesday, May 24, 2006
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The "salt-and-pepper" bank robber has struck again.

The Bank of America branch at 186 Newark Ave. in Downtown Jersey City was robbed yesterday, two days after a man with the same description robbed the North Fork Bank across the street.

Investigators believe it was the same man because of the similar appearance - a middle-aged white man with a mustache, salt-and-pepper hair and eyeglasses - as well as the use of a similarly worded note: "This is a robbery. Please put $10,000 in a bag." In both robberies, the robber passed the teller the note along with the bag.

He pulled yesterday's robbery about 11 a.m., Police Sgt. Edgar Martinez said. The nervous teller filled the bag with cash but used small bills, so the total amount was less than $2,000, Martinez said.

In Saturday's robbery, the thief escaped a pursuing bank guard by throwing bills over his shoulder as he ran. The guard stopped to pick up the money, about $1,425, but the robber got away with $4,217.

The man didn't use a weapon or claim to have one in either robbery, police said.

A man fitting a similar description robbed a Weehawken bank on May 12, also without showing a weapon, but investigators have not made any connection between the two crimes.

Because of a rash of bank heists over the past few months, the Jersey City Police Department and the FBI are planning a workshop for June 15 at St. Peter's College in Jersey City to teach bank employees how to react during a robbery and in the critical minutes after one, Martinez said.

The bank robber is believed to have been caught on tape, but investigators were still reviewing the security camera video, Martinez said. He said the FBI would take the lead on the investigation.

Six customers and seven employees - but no guards - were in the bank during yesterday's robbery, Martinez added.

One of those customers was Carlos Nolasco, who said he watched it unfold in front of him - because Nolasco wanted to wait for a bilingual teller, he allowed the robber to go ahead of him in line.

"I see this man had a paper, but I didn't think about it because a lot of people bring documents to a bank," Nolasco said. "Now I'm a little nervous."

A senior citizen who was doing her banking yesterday at the time of the robbery complimented the thief on his technique.

"I was in there and didn't see anything," said the senior citizen, who didn't want to be identified. "If he was a robber he was well trained."

Posted on: 2006/5/24 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I thought it would only be a $10 reward!

Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Hey, I lost $20 downtown the other day...There is a $20 reward.

Posted on: 2006/5/22 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, I lost $20 downtown the other day. Anybody finds it PM me. I can describe the lost property and you can mail it to me. There is a $20 reward.

Posted on: 2006/5/22 14:40

Bank Robber Tosses Money on Newark Avenue to Escape
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FLYING MONEY
Monday, May 22, 2006
By STEVEN LEMONGELLO
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Bank robber tosses $20's to escape

It was addition by subtraction for a man who robbed a Jersey City bank on Saturday and evaded capture by throwing some of the stolen cash over his shoulder as he fled from a security guard.

Faced with the prospect of watching his employers' $20 bills blow away in the wind, the guard stopped up to pick up the loot while the robber got away with the rest, reports said.

The robber walked into the North Fork Bank, 201 Newark Ave., shortly after 2:30 p.m., reports said. He handed a teller a note demanding $10,000 and a bag to put it in. He never showed a weapon nor claimed to have one, police said.

The teller filled the bag with $5,642, mostly in $20 bills. As he walked away, the teller pushed the hold-up alarm and shouted "We've been robbed!"

The security guard managed to grab the thief by the arm, but the robber wriggled free and then threw the cash behind him as he fled north on Coles Street.

The robber got away with $4,217 - not including the $1,425 he dropped to slow down the guard's pursuit, reports said.

The thief was described by witnesses as in his late 40s, about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighing about 180 pounds. He was wearing a beige hat, a white hooded sweatshirt and silver eyeglasses, police said.

A man fitting a similar description robbed a Weehawken bank on May 12, also without showing a weapon, but investigators have not made any connection between the two crimes.

Anyone with information is asked to call the FBI at (973) 792-3000.

Posted on: 2006/5/22 14:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017