Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Peruvian: Ceviche's, in the Heights
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/11 21:46
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, there were many comments about Ceviche on another thread called "New Mexican Restaurant in the Heights".

I have gone there off and on. The summer before, it was a BYOB place. I had always liked it, although the last time I went it was a bit of a letdown. From what I have been reading on this thread and another one, that must have been an isolated incident.

Am looking forward to trying the sangria.

Posted on: 2006/12/31 20:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
Include them as having one of the best lunch bargains in town. $5.95 for soup and a choice of beef, pork, chicken, fish & rice. Not a huge portion, but enough. I kinda blew the budget concept though with a pitcher of sangria, but it was worth it :). I don't why they were so dead though.

Posted on: 2006/12/13 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
I do agree that the ceviche is the best I've ever had. the ambience and sangria was also great. Although I cannot say the same for my main course.

It tasted like the chef took stir fried rice from the chinese restaurant down the block and mixed it in with some seafood. I was really let down. After eating the ceviche and experiencing the great atmosphere I expected much much more. The worst part is the waiter recommended it.

My bill for my fiance and I was over $90.00. At that price I will go to hoboken for gauranteed fine dining but, do to the overwhelming positive feedback from you guys I will give it another chance this spring.

I live in the heights but try to avoid central avenue as much as possible. I'm not happy with the (lack of) progress being made to improve it.

Posted on: 2006/5/26 3:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/2/20 5:21
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you, ErieSt, for starting this thread. We finally checked out this place tonight and were very impressed with this restaurant. Their ceviche is one of the best I've ever had, and I love ceviche and order it whenever I can. Oh, and I discovered cancha chulpe tonight, and boy is it addictive!

I agree with the previous posts. I hope more people patronize this restaurant so it can thrive.

Get thee to Ceviche's -- quickly!

Posted on: 2006/5/26 2:35
Have you had your DoJo Mojo today?

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Was that last weekend? A week before this last saturday?

I called them and they said they had a private party that day. I'm assuming you didn't see any signs up saying that there was a private party... that sucks. I think because the business is fairly new and still trying to get its legs, they are taking money where they can. I hope it becomes popular and they don't close on weekend nights for private parties.

Their phone number is 201-420-0101 and they say their hours are 12-9:30 on weekdays and 12-11 on weekends (i'm assuming this means friday and saturday).

Posted on: 2006/5/22 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know their hours? I once tried to go after 8 PM on a Saturday and found it closed.

Posted on: 2006/5/22 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I went to Ceviche's this past Saturday on the recommendations posted below. Wow, I was not disappointed. It is definitely a romantic and secluded place in "da Hood." Quite striking actually.

The wait staff was pleasant, friendly. We were actually presented with a wine and liquor menu. We, of course ordered the Sangria, which was great. My partner oredered chicken soup for an appetizer. If you like cilantro and ginger in a soup superbly prepared, you won't be disappointed.

My partner ordered the ceviche mixto and we both thought that it was too salty, but still very good. I ordered the ceviche compdrone?, the shrimp in a tomato and orange juice sauce. Fantastic.

We didn't order the coconut flan, but another one recommended by the waiter. We were surprised to find it was very dense and had a texture unlike any other flan I have tasted. Besides being a bit bizarre, the flan was really good.

The coffee is good and very, very strong.

I found the music overwhelming at times. It was simply too loud for our enjoyment, but perhaps others like that.

During the dessert, the owner/chef, Rob, came up to us and introduced himself. Nice touch.

This place is definitely for couples, but they are very child friendly and offer a whole menu of options for the wee ones. Am I willing to share this wonderful place with my kids? Probably not, but others may feel differently :0)

Thanks ErieSt for the fantastic recommendation!

Althea
www.cfijc.org

Quote:

ErieSt wrote:
We went there this past weekend and it was awesome!! Food was delicious and cheap -- we shared an appetizer and a salad (both huge), each had a main dish ($8-$10) and shared a to-die-for coconut flan, and the bill came under $40 (w/o tip). The ambiance is quite nice too! Definitely worth a drive to the Heights... I think it's BYOB, which makes it even more of a bargain.

Posted on: 2006/5/22 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Last time I went there, the waiter said they were very busy on the weekend. That's a good thing, because Ceviche's is one of those places I'd want to thrive in JC. Not bastardized chain joints, or expensive ripoff places, but authentic, ethnic, friendly restaurants in the not-too-expensive part of town. On my last visit the waiter/bartender (yes, they do have a liquor licence) bought me an espresso while I was waiting for the takeout to be prepared (as I am a repeat customer). They've been open about 1 year, IIRC.

All in all - please patronize them if you can. And no, I am not associated with the place.

Posted on: 2006/4/18 11:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/19 6:39
Group:
Banned
I second the opinion, Ceviche's is great, now if only they' d let you know they serve alcohol... Does not say so on their menu, the last time I went I really would've liked a drink to go with my meal, if only I'd have known..
Quote:

ErieSt wrote:
We went there this past weekend and it was awesome!! Food was delicious and cheap -- we shared an appetizer and a salad (both huge), each had a main dish ($8-$10) and shared a to-die-for coconut flan, and the bill came under $40 (w/o tip). The ambiance is quite nice too! Definitely worth a drive to the Heights... I think it's BYOB, which makes it even more of a bargain.

Posted on: 2006/4/18 2:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:

scribbler wrote:
How do you pronounce "Ceviche's"?

Sev-ee-ch-a

Posted on: 2006/4/18 2:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/21 16:22
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
How do you pronounce "Ceviche's"?

Posted on: 2006/4/18 1:50
Trying to catch a cloud with a butterfly net in the breeze

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
FYI it's *not* BYOB. They serve alchohol (great Sangria...)

Posted on: 2006/4/18 1:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/14 4:00
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
456 Central Ave...

I forgot to add we were one of two tables there (although it was late Easter Sunday). Didn't see that much takeout business either... I hope business picks up for them otherwise they will close.

Next time my husband and I go, we decided we'll order the parrillada ($30 for two) -- the mixed grill. The other table had it and it looked great.

Posted on: 2006/4/18 1:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 15:38
From harsimus cove
Group:
Registered Users
Where exactly in the heights is ceviche's? Looking forward to trying it!

Posted on: 2006/4/18 1:36

Peruvian: Ceviche's, in the Heights
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/14 4:00
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/4/18 1:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017