Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Steve Fulop- Simple idea for traffic safety
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
How about just making every one of those intersections a four way stop? Then you cut down on people speeding through every intersection.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 15:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
When we first moved to JC five years ago, we rented a place near the corner of Manila and 9th. For a while, there was a police car parked, on 9th west of Manila, that would nail people going through the stop sign there. Always wondered why, as long as he was there, he didn't also cite people for going 20 or so feet the wrong way west on 9th coming out of the parking/drop-off area for the school, an absolutely routine occurrence that caused the occasional accident as well as run-ins with pedestrians objecting to cars turning onto Manila from an improper direction. They could probably plug 5% of the budget gap from that corner alone.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 14:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/23 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Mouse, I really think they need to start having crackdowns on the drivers in JC. I really have honestly never seen anything like the driving around here. Its like the wild west. It would almost be funny how lawless it is if it weren't risking the safety of others. From cabs blatantly running red lights to rolling stops to lefts on red to cars flying down 25 mph residential streets... Its out of control. I'm not some grandma complaining here either. I'm familiar with urban and aggressive driving, grew up in NJ, have a touch of the road rage, but there's nothing like the horrible drivers here.

I have to think that its the fact that people know that they can get away with anything so they keep pushing it a bit further. To some extent people from out of town may just be confused with the lack of visibility and consistency of stop signs, but I don't think that's the major problem here.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 14:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Painting S T O P on the street does nothing.

Two intersections I go through every day have STOP painted on the street and no one cares. Specifically Manilla and 9th. When I am trying to turn on Manilla, I'll approach the stop sign the same time the guy on Manilla does. Technically, I am on the right, I have the right of way. He goes ahead and then the 3 cars behind him blow right through the stop sign giving me the finger as I am trying to turn.

This also happens on 8th and Erie.

And I am gettign a little sick of the left on red at Erie and 9th and people honking at me to go through the red light because they can't wait :30 for the light to change. I'm not risking my life for these morons.

re: cell phones. I hope someday they change the law so that you can be pulled over for using a cell phone. No one will ever obey the law if they think they can get away with it.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 13:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
My bad, but they still can't be pulled over for it (which is why I forgot it was illegal)... You have to be doing something else that's considered a first offense.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

glx wrote:

Not illegal in NJ.

From the NJ Motor Vehicle Div --

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/press/archives/062104.htm

Hand-Held Cell Phone Ban Takes Effect July 1, 2004

(TRENTON) ? New Jersey?s new law banning hand-held cell phones takes effect in 10 days, and state officials today are reminding drivers of the upcoming deadline and the dangers posed by distractions in their vehicles.

On July 1, 2004, drivers will be required to use a ?hands free? device while using their wireless phones.

The new law is considered a secondary offense, meaning drivers can only be ticketed if stopped by law enforcement for another violation. The penalty is a fine ranging from $100 to $250.

?Whether it?s supporting fewer distractions for drivers or providing customers with a secure document like a digital driver license, the safety and security of our customers is MVC?s top priority,? said Sharon A. Harrington, Chief Administrator of the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.

Drivers may use a hand-held wireless phone in emergencies, such as to report a fire, traffic accident, or unsafe driver, or if they have reason to fear for their safety.

The Division of Highway Traffic Safety urges motorists to beware of distractions when behind the wheel. Common distractions that can cause crashes include talking on a cellular phone, tuning a radio or CD player, applying makeup, eating or drinking, and tending to children or pets.

?Driving is a complex task that requires your full attention,? said Roberto Rodriguez, Director of the Division. ?The message to motorists is simple: Keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel. Avoid distractions to arrive alive.?

The Division of Highway Traffic Safety, in cooperation with Governor James E. McGreevey?s Task Force on Driver Distraction and Highway Safety, will undertake a public awareness campaign this summer to educate New Jersey motorists about the new law and driver distraction in general.

?The best advice that we can give to drivers is to limit distractions as much as possible: Set your radio and temperature controls before setting out, pull over to eat or drink, and do not talk on a cellular phone while driving,? said Marvin Reed, Task Force Chairman

Posted on: 2006/4/14 2:00
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

glx wrote:
Quote:

Mouse wrote:
and drivers talking on the cell phone while driving (my all-time biggest pet peeve).

Not illegal in NJ.

Are you sure about that? Last I heard, it was unless you are using a hands free device. Also you cannot be cited unless you are stopped for some other infraction. If you know different, please expand on your post.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
10th & Manila is another dangerous intersection that is poorly lit and is the site of many accidents.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 1:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mouse wrote:
and drivers talking on the cell phone while driving (my all-time biggest pet peeve).

Not illegal in NJ.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Really what is needed is for the JCPD to make moving violations a priority.

Frankly, they could make a lot of money just by setting up some check points for things like drivers with no seat belts, and drivers talking on the cell phone while driving (my all-time biggest pet peeve).

Time for the cops to declare "Safe Springtime Driving" or some other goofily named initiative and really crack down hard for about a month -- rolling through red lights, not stopping at stop signs, speeding, -- all the usual suspects.

This really could be a win-win-win (lose) situation. A "Win" for pedestrians, a "Win" for the police (good PR), a "Win" for a persistent politician -- and a "Lose" for inconsiderate and dangerous drivers.

-M

Posted on: 2006/4/14 0:51
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:
Actually for comment from all-

Another night, another nasty accident- Corner of 8th and Monmouth. Car ran the 8th Street stop sign & caught the back of a car going down Monmouth, which caromed into the yard of the house on the corner.
GWB

Clearly one or both of them were going too fast for a city street. When was the city speed limit around here raised to 45MPH anyway? Also, anyone who goes sailing through an intersection on blind faith, stop sign or not is a moron. I agree about the SUV/van/ trucks on the corners, past few years it has gotten so that you have to inch the whole hood of your car out into traffic to see whats coming. And what's usually coming is some idiot at 50MPH oblivious to everything around him.

Posted on: 2006/4/13 19:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/23 17:02
From Wayne Street
Group:
Registered Users
Here's another idea. How about the city making this a part of a summer jobs program for teens in JC? Kill two birds with one stone (so to speak).

Posted on: 2006/4/13 17:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/23 17:02
From Wayne Street
Group:
Registered Users
This is a good idea. I would take it further and use the reflective paint that brightens when headlights shine on it. That will help at those especially dark intersections.

Posted on: 2006/4/13 17:54

Steve Fulop- Simple idea for traffic safety
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Actually for comment from all-

Another night, another nasty accident- Corner of 8th and Monmouth. Car ran the 8th Street stop sign & caught the back of a car going down Monmouth, which caromed into the yard of the house on the corner.

Nobody badly hurt that I could see, and thankfully no one was standing on the corner.

Clearly, the guy that ran the sign is in the wrong, but I can hardly blame him- It's dark on that corner, and at night it's easy to miss the signs. Also, the "pattern" of stops vs. right of ways is random all over the area- You got to stop on 3rd, but 4th is smooth sailing, for example, then back to 5th, no stop on Monmouth.

Even during the day, when big vans/SUV's/ moving trucks park on corners, you can't see if there's a stop or not. I have this problem constantly (big trucks like corners- no parallel parking involved) and I am sure others do too.

Simple solution- Put some S T O P lettering and stripes leading up to the intersections painted on the roadway. Much, much harder to miss. The cost should be (relatively) minimal.

It will certainly save some damage and money wasted on responses (cops, fire, and EMT all showed) and may save a life. Frankly, it's a matter of time before someone is killed- These accidents tend to be hood-on-door.

I can't see it costing too much- Paint & the equipment to apply it, and a few guys. Every signed intersection downtown should get it.

GWB

Posted on: 2006/4/13 17:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017