Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Amid the Glitter, JC's Growing Pains
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Would it really be worth it for a developer to give away essentially all of his condos "at below-market rates".

The developer is Lefrak. If you are not familiar with this name, let me assure you that these are not "all of his condos." What these are, are prime condo's on the gold coast.

Not going to name name's here, but the info is accurate. The big issue here is not whether he is losing money on the deal, but which apartments face the Hudson River with glorious views of Manhattan, and which face the mall and traffic to the Holland Tunnel.

Now, let's do some guess work. Which condo's go to the family and "friends" and which go to the "public?"

Care to guess?

-M

Posted on: 2006/3/15 5:09
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
At the risk of further moving this thread away from its original point, I wonder about this. Would it really be worth it for a developer to give away essentially all of his condos "at below-market rates". It seems much more likely that we are seeing is the end of a bubble, as typically characterized by flipping overvalued assets. Good for a savvy developer but bad for those left holding the bag...

Quote:

Mouse wrote:
Quote:

"The Shore Club (580 Washington Blvd.), a luxury condominium crown atop the mostly-rental 600-acre Newport development, is a multi-staged project that has already drawn intense interest from potential buyers. Since opening its sales office in September, 211 of the 214 available units have already sold - many of them for more than half a million dollars. What's perhaps surprising is that LeFrak was able to move these high-priced condominiums without bothering to advertise them. "

I think saying they were "sold" is a little bit misleading. More like, "handed out to family, friends and assorted Jersey City politicians at below-market rates" is a bit more accurate.

Posted on: 2006/3/15 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

"The Shore Club (580 Washington Blvd.), a luxury condominium crown atop the mostly-rental 600-acre Newport development, is a multi-staged project that has already drawn intense interest from potential buyers. Since opening its sales office in September, 211 of the 214 available units have already sold - many of them for more than half a million dollars. What's perhaps surprising is that LeFrak was able to move these high-priced condominiums without bothering to advertise them. "

I think saying they were "sold" is a little bit misleading. More like, "handed out to family, friends and assorted Jersey City politicians at below-market rates" is a bit more accurate.

Posted on: 2006/3/15 0:39
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Re: Very negative article, almost made me want to move!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just to clarify something - "Very negative article, almost made me want to move!" is not a quote from me. It was the title of a post that I replied to. I actually found the article more informative than negative.

To further clarify; the increase in crime while crime all around JC has gone down is disturbing but has never made me consider moving. What does make me inclined to move is how the powers that be in JC and NJ deny citizens the right to effective self defense.

Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:

Very negative article, almost made me want to move!

I wonder if cheap meth is creating a 1990s crack-like wave of crime. That, unlike gentrification, seems at least plausible.

That article was "negative", cause it stated the facts of what are happening downtown. The statements, interviews are not anecdotal passing in the wind, but serious concerns of those of us involved with the neighborhood Watch groups.

Steve Fulop has stated on his site, for public release and I've been at the mtgs. where we looked at comps for all 6 Zones that make up the East District Command,together with Captain McDonough and them's numbers are all up in the 3 Zones downtown where most of us live.

Jon Miller of the Times, worked on that piece several months, interviewing numerous persons downtown who had been either on the "incident reports" of the East District Command or brought to his attention by the Jersey City Neighborhood Watch, of which I am a member.

If you want to change the reality of that "Very negative article..." come to the Jersey City Guardian Angels public mtg. next wk on March 16th, or better yet come to the Monday, March 13th Mtg. of the Jersey City Neighborhood Watch at Grace Church Van Vorst , from 7 till 9PM. Enter by the red doors to the gym on Erie between 2nd and 3rd.

Look forward to makin' you part of the solution!

PS: If you saw the Frontline doc on Channel 13 several wks. ago (still avail in Digital "On Demand"), you would know that cheap meth hasn't hit in the Northeast yet to become the systemic problem it is in the Northwest, Midwest, Southwest and South. That don't mean it ain't comin here, though.

Posted on: 2006/3/15 0:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/19 1:13
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, there was a lot of neighborhood participation on the Grove Pointe project and Liberty Harbor is getting lots of notice from the architectural and planning professions because it is one largest projects using the principles of New Urbanism.

As far as the other projects - same old crap.

Posted on: 2006/3/14 23:57
Yes,we have no bananas.
(Silver & Cohn, 1923)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

steveikin wrote:
I don't suppose you happen to know of an on-line version of said article?

The publication is called "Discover Your Neighborhood - Downtown Jersey City Edition Winter 2006" and from the best I can tell, there is no online edition

Quote:

elgoodo wrote:
I find that really hard to believe given Tris' well documented feelings on the 111 debacle. I'll have to pick up a copy to draw my own conclusions.

I know he does some "writing for hire" assignments but I would assume if it were strictly that (say, a brochure for a condo development), he wouldn't put his name on it as if it reflected his own opinions. And in a neighborhood magazine, where 50 percent of the people reading it are likely to know of him in some capacity.

Let me quote a few passages:

"The Shore Club (580 Washington Blvd.), a luxury condominium crown atop the mostly-rental 600-acre Newport development, is a multi-staged project that has already drawn intense interest from potential buyers. Since opening its sales office in September, 211 of the 214 available units have already sold - many of them for more than half a million dollars. What's perhaps surprising is that LeFrak was able to move these high-priced condominiums without bothering to advertise them. The interest in Left Coast property is so heated that word-of-mouth and internet discussion groups are generally enough to fill waterfront towers with new tenants and owners."

Sounds like a marketing dream doesn't it? The area is so hot that no one needs to advertise.

About Trump Plaza Jersey City, Tris said, "Like most other waterfront towers, these will bear the hallmark of New York architectural style: slimness, verticality, plate glass frontage, hi-rise elegance, a certain corporate feel."

There's more.

"Exterior [Properties] has taken pains to give the residences at The Schroeder Lofts (234 Tenth Street) and eco-friendly design. Closer to the park, the nascent development at the old St. Francis Medical Center (25 McWillams) promises to bring a pedestrian-friendly strip of boutique retail to the historic neighborhood."

Never mind the fact that this "pedestrian-friendly strip of boutique retail' is one of the things that concerns the neighbors.

He trumpets how well the developers of The Grove Pointe worked with The Harsimus Cove Association to create a design that everyone was so please with. "It ended up being a great team effort."

Now this might be truer than I expect, but my limited experience with developers through my own involvement with my neighborhood association has taught me that the developers deal with the neighbors only because they have to. It's not a big happy party.

Finally, one of my favorites is, "Liberty Harbor North (333 Grand Street) is easily the most audacious project under development in Jersey City, and possibly one of the most remarkable in the entire country."

If I didn't know better, I would have thought Donald Trump uttered these words. But it's not his project, and I doubt he's touting anyone else's.

My point is that Tris always made himself out to be the artist who was above all this capitalistic hedonism. I don't particularly care if he chooses to write stuff like this. We all have to make ends meet. My point in taking the time to point all of this out is that we all need to not look to him, or anyone else for that matter, to be the voice of reason for the rest of us. We need to educate ourselves, get involved, and speak up.

That's all I'm saying...

Posted on: 2006/3/14 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
I read the first guide they put out. One of the folks involved in it stopped by and posted here to solicit comments and suggestions.

I thought that the first guide read like real estate propaganda literature so it wouldn't surprise me if this one did as well.

Posted on: 2006/3/14 16:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/23 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elgoodo wrote:

I find that really hard to believe given Tris' well documented feelings on the 111 debacle. I'll have to pick up a copy to draw my own conclusions.

I know he does some "writing for hire" assignments but I would assume if it were strictly that (say, a brochure for a condo development), he wouldn't put his name on it as if it reflected his own opinions. And in a neighborhood magazine, where 50 percent of the people reading it are likely to know of him in some capacity.

well its true- its a long fluffy article about development in downtown jersey city and i read it in the most recent "Discover Your Neighborhood" guide. i think it was somewhat objective and attempted to just document the change in the area and wasn't clearly saying whether or not it was all for the better, but in the context of the guide its obvious that its the kind of thing that's supposed to highlight the renaissance and attract investors. i don't know who puts out this guide, but I recall the Lefrak organization getting some thanks and praise in the same guide. the article in question was written by Tris McCall and his name WAS attached to it.

I grabbed a copy of it in the Taqueria. I assume they still have a bunch.

Posted on: 2006/3/14 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PHResident wrote:
Quote:

MCA wrote:
I miss the good old days when Tris McCall used to write reams about who he was going to vote for... [/wishful thinking]

Tris is too busy writing big sloppy wet blow job pieces about all of the new development in downtown Jersey City. You can find his piece in the new free "Neighborhood Guide" found at various businesses throughout downtown.

If I sound sarcastic, it's because Tris as always portrayed himself to be on the sceptical side of happenings in Jersey City; the voice of reason if you wish to call it that.

In the piece that I am referring to, however, it seems that he very well might have simply gotten "blurbs" from the various sales and marketing departments of the developers and simply tied them together. Don't get me wrong, as a property owner in Jersey City, I'm pretty excited about the renaissance of our fair city, but after reading his article, I could only imagine the developers finding themselves leaning back, wiping themselves off and needing a cigarette.

Posted on: 2006/3/14 14:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PHResident wrote:

Tris is too busy writing big sloppy wet blow job pieces about all of the new development in downtown Jersey City. You can find his piece in the new free "Neighborhood Guide" found at various businesses throughout downtown.

I don't suppose you happen to know of an on-line version of said article?

Posted on: 2006/3/14 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MCA wrote:
I miss the good old days when Tris McCall used to write reams about who he was going to vote for... [/wishful thinking]

If I sound sarcastic, it's because Tris as always portrayed himself to be on the sceptical side of happenings in Jersey City; the voice of reason if you wish to call it that.

In the piece that I am referring to, however, it seems that he very well might have simply gotten "blurbs" from the various sales and marketing departments of the developers and simply tied them together. Don't get me wrong, as a property owner in Jersey City, I'm pretty excited about the renaissance of our fair city, but after reading his article, I could only imagine the developers finding themselves leaning back, wiping themselves off and needing a cigarette.

Posted on: 2006/3/14 13:51

Edited by PHResident on 2006/3/14 14:35:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Officer_Mac wrote:
I like that part about getting involved and becoming part of the solution. Well put!

Thanks, Officer Mac; coming from someone like you who was "part of the solution", I'm honored.

BTW, Officer Reilly is also very helpful as we saw her and the Captain tonight at the Watch mtg.

Good to know you still keep tabs on us!

Posted on: 2006/3/14 4:57
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/9 21:46
From 207 Seventh St
Group:
Registered Users
I like that part about getting involved and becoming part of the solution. Well put!

Posted on: 2006/3/13 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:

Very negative article, almost made me want to move!

I wonder if cheap meth is creating a 1990s crack-like wave of crime. That, unlike gentrification, seems at least plausible.

That article was "negative", cause it stated the facts of what are happening downtown. The statements, interviews are not anecdotal passing in the wind, but serious concerns of those of us involved with the neighborhood Watch groups.

Steve Fulop has stated on his site, for public release and I've been at the mtgs. where we looked at comps for all 6 Zones that make up the East District Command,together with Captain McDonough and them's numbers are all up in the 3 Zones downtown where most of us live.

Jon Miller of the Times, worked on that piece several months, interviewing numerous persons downtown who had been either on the "incident reports" of the East District Command or brought to his attention by the Jersey City Neighborhood Watch, of which I am a member.

If you want to change the reality of that "Very negative article..." come to the Jersey City Guardian Angels public mtg. next wk on March 16th, or better yet come to the Monday, March 13th Mtg. of the Jersey City Neighborhood Watch at Grace Church Van Vorst , from 7 till 9PM. Enter by the red doors to the gym on Erie between 2nd and 3rd.

Look forward to makin' you part of the solution!

PS: If you saw the Frontline doc on Channel 13 several wks. ago (still avail in Digital "On Demand"), you would know that cheap meth hasn't hit in the Northeast yet to become the systemic problem it is in the Northwest, Midwest, Southwest and South. That don't mean it ain't comin here, though.

Posted on: 2006/3/10 9:24
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a link to the NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/05/nyr ... ER.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

What I found odd about the article is that there is no evidence or even speculation about why crime has recently escalated in JC; unlike the rest of the NYC metropolitan area. It is mere speculation to assume that gentrification is the cause and a very questionable one given how crime has decreased in gentrified NYC. I wonder if cheap meth is creating a 1990s crack-like wave of crime. That, unlike gentrification, seems at least plausible.

I think it is great that the Guardian Angels are trying to help out. It would be so much better if NJ respected law abiding citizen's right to effective self defense.
Quote:

JSalt wrote:
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:

Not that anyone gives a hoot, but here?s my theory on this whole brouhaha. I find it hard to believe that crime has increased substantially downtown over the past 10+ years? it?s simply getting more attention because of the demographic change. Educated and wealthy persons are more likely to complain and be influential enough to have their complaints heard by government officials and the media. Just a fact of life. The demographic shift downtown has been dramatic. You have an area populated by ?haves? and ?have-nots.? This in itself is part of the issue and there?s no way crime will be substantially reduced until most of the ?have-nots? are forced to move. Or we enact a police state. I don?t believe this is any different than the situation in Hoboken 20+ years ago.

Sorry, but statistics suggest that crime is in fact on the rise, at least in the last couple of years. Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest by "forced to move" or whether you're in favor of such a thing, but it's not going to happen. Jersey City is not a square mile city like Hoboken. It's never going to be all upscale.

Posted on: 2006/3/10 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MCA wrote:
I miss the good old days when Tris McCall used to write reams about who he was going to vote for, and I usually ended up agreeing with him.

If anyone knows the candidates running in April, maybe you could convince them to post here with their qualifications and campaign issues. [/wishful thinking]

I'm in total agreement: where's Tris when we need him!

I love his blogs on music, his own included, but he was perhaps the most salient blogger on Jersey City politics, politicians and cut through the attack ads to state what's up beyond the patronage.

I didn't always agree with his choices, but I did, like you, wind up agreeing with most of his choices.

We miss you Tris!

The Tris McCall Report

Posted on: 2006/3/8 21:38
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MCA wrote:
I miss the good old days when Tris McCall used to write reams about who he was going to vote for, and I usually ended up agreeing with him.

God, I miss Tris too.

O Tris, why hath thou forsaken us?

Posted on: 2006/3/8 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Good deal.

And super_furry thank you for the heads up about the Journal. The local papers out by me are awful but the more I see the more it seems the Journal is a pretty good source for local news?

I digress... sorry.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
I was *mostly* kidding. I'm dead serious, though, about it being difficult to get hold of clearcut information about candidates that isn't attack literature sent by the opponent.

I'm with you there.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 21:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/23 17:55
Group:
Banned

If anyone knows the candidates running in April, maybe you could convince them to post here with their qualifications and campaign issues. [/wishful thinking]

Posted on: 2006/3/8 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I was *mostly* kidding. I'm dead serious, though, about it being difficult to get hold of clearcut information about candidates that isn't attack literature sent by the opponent.

Quote:

elgoodo wrote:
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Or, do you just say to hell with it and vote the incumbants out no matter who they are?

I hope you're kidding. I hate when people take their cynicism to this level and are dead serious about it.

Politics can give one reason to be cynical - certainly - but this kind of knee-jerk ill-informed voter apathy-cum-cruelty really makes me ill.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Subscribe to the Jersey Journal. You can also access most of it online at www.nj.com.

Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
But, where do you get information about the candidates? If JC is anything like the town I'm in now (Lyndhurst), you pretty much only get attack ads in the mail.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Or, do you just say to hell with it and vote the incumbants out no matter who they are?

I hope you're kidding. I hate when people take their cynicism to this level and are dead serious about it.

Politics can give one reason to be cynical - certainly - but this kind of knee-jerk ill-informed voter apathy-cum-cruelty really makes me ill.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I for one, moving to JC in the next few weeks, would like very much to be a part of heavier voter turnout.

But, where do you get information about the candidates? If JC is anything like the town I'm in now (Lyndhurst), you pretty much only get attack ads in the mail.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nuada wrote:
P.S. Indeed voting sometimes requires holding one's nose as one pulls the lever. No question about that.

The next election coming up is a school board election in april.Less than 2000 people vote in these elections.This would be a great place to test your idea.If even 1000 people came out from downtown,city hall would be shocked.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 20:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
P.S. Indeed voting sometimes requires holding one's nose as one pulls the lever. No question about that.

The antidote: working harder to identify potential candidates who want to challenge the machine. (I cannot believe nobody in JSQ doesn't want to throw up on a ballot that offers a choice between Lipski and Jimmy King.)

All that said...I'm no saint. I did not vote in the November '05 election because I couldn't stomch voting for Corzine (who still seems to me to be a clueless disappointment who will kiss the machine's ass to further his own self-aggrandizement).

Posted on: 2006/3/8 14:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Truthfully, I think they laugh at our complants because they know we're too lazy to vote. Downtowners need to get off their "I'm too busy" butts and get registered, and make the effort to vote.>>

Absolutely right.

Voting is key.

The entrenched incumbents think we believe we live on "14th Avenue, the western-most stretch of Manhattan" and that we might follow the NYC mayor race, but pay no heed to the JC/Hudson County races.

Look at this: "Fulop beat E. Junior Maldonado - the only incumbent to lose in Tuesday's municipal elections - by a 55 to 45 percent margin. With 87 percent of the votes counted, Fulop was ahead 2,165 to 1,802."

That's from the JJ, 5/12/2005.

A lousy 363 votes turned out Junior Maldonado.

At a guess...if 5000 thoughtful new voters showed up at the next local elections, the machine would be turned out of every seat it now holds. Small margins matter in Jersey City races. Every new voter counts.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
I've posted about these issues before, so i'll spare everyone. Jersey DOES have potential, but it's up to us...the people who live here and take pride in our community to make it so.

I saw things going wrong in JC, and joined the JCNW. Jersey city can be a safer, better place. Go to meetings, and get active !

Posted on: 2006/3/8 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
I liked this stat- Puts light on the repeated administation and PD statement that "all urban areas are experiencing a surge in crime"

"According to F.B.I. statistics compiled for the first six months of 2005, violent crime rose 10 percent in the city ? including increases in robbery, burglary and larceny. By way of comparison, Newark's violent crime rate dropped 4 percent in the same period"

Also- Touting the gun buyback- Anyone remember Healy saying, "it's largely symbolic and doesn't effect crime" or something to that effect? Now it's a big "initiative" to tout in the NYT.

More stats if anyone is interested. Will be interesting to see what the full year 05 numbers look like. I think we can all guess.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/2005prelim/table2.htm

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/2005prelim/tables/05northeast.xls

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/2005prelim/table4.htm#gl

http://jerseycity.areaconnect.com/cri ... ity&s1=NJ&c2=newark&s2=NJ

http://jerseycity.areaconnect.com/cri ... y&s1=NJ&c2=paterson&s2=NJ

http://jerseycity.areaconnect.com/cri ... ty&s1=NJ&c2=compton&s2=CA

http://jerseycity.areaconnect.com/cri ... y&s1=NJ&c2=new+york&s2=NY

http://jerseycity.areaconnect.com/cri ... s1=NJ&c2=Union+City&s2=NJ

http://jerseycity.areaconnect.com/cri ... ty&s1=NJ&c2=bayonne&s2=NJ

http://jerseycity.areaconnect.com/cri ... ty&s1=NJ&c2=hoboken&s2=NJ

http://jerseycity.areaconnect.com/cri ... &s1=NJ&c2=ELIZABETH&s2=NJ

http://jerseycity.areaconnect.com/cri ... ity&s1=NJ&c2=KEARNY&s2=NJ

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/info/stats.html#cit

GWB

Posted on: 2006/3/7 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Damian wrote:

WE NEED TO TAKE ACTION TOO!!!!!. If there is a mugging, noise complaints, trash that is unacceptable just keep on calling, call city hall, call the police, call your councelman/woman, call the ABC. The more we make ourselves a pain in the a!! for the city the more they have to listen. It may sound redundant but all our voices will translate into votes come election time. That will get people to listen.

Don't forget, this is "OUR CITY" and we should take that attitude. Unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated.

Works in places like Hoboken and should work here.

And, I'd like to add that people need to register to vote, and make the effort to get out to the polls. I'll bet there are quite a few folks here on JC List that didn't vote in the last election and/or are not even registered to vote.

Politicians are concerned about what it takes to win.... so if you want to send City Hall a message... I can think of no better way to do it then to have increased voter turnout in the Downtown wards. I can't remember the statistics from the last election (in May) but it was small peanuts. In fact, more people in Ward E voted for the dog run in Van Vorst Park then came to vote during the election.

You can't expect to be taken seriously just by complaining on the phone or on a message board. Let it be seen by the increase in downtown registered voters and the sheer numbers that turn up at the polls that our complaints will pack a harder punch come election time.

Truthfully, I think they laugh at our complants because they know we're too lazy to vote. Downtowners need to get off their "I'm too busy" butts and get registered, and make the effort to vote.

BTW - yesterday, some people in my midtown office said they saw the NY Times article. They brought it to my attention, thinking I may not have seen it. So people are reading it.

Posted on: 2006/3/7 12:34

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017