Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Flood Insurance.......Do You Need It ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/28 20:47
From Wayne BTW Jersey/Barrow
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kermit42 wrote:

I have a fourth floor apartment, so when the flood comes, ya'll's invited.

I got the tunes, you bring the beers! I have roof access, so, once the rain stops...bring your bathing suits! Diving for tequila shots!! (Watch out for the rats.)

SWEET - 'cause I'm on a first floor and only half a block away from you.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 20:57
... When life gives you lemons - Make Lemontini's!!

Dennis Deyoung is a musical genius

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

We all know how the great flood of NY harbor will play out eventually. Rising sea levels will insure that we'll eventually get a storm surge over the bulkheads all around the harbor and river. The Govt will claim they never saw it coming and no one warned them. And only after hundreds of billions in damage will they take the obvious steps to secure the harbor like Venice and Amsterdam have done, with closable sea gates at the Verrazano Narrows and Throgs Neck.

That, or Ogden Ave will be waterfront property in 2100.

IT"S COMING! Between global warming, the inevitable tsunami and the hurricane, you nethercity dwellers don't have a chance. I would advise you to start buying rowboats, inner tubes and inflatable rafts NOW before it's too late. Oh, and get a copy of Waterworld and study it closely.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 20:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/14 20:38
From Journal Square / Marion
Group:
Registered Users
I was just saying that people should think about getting flood insurance, because a hurricane is a very real possibility, plus it would be a smart idea to get into the program now before the feds change it and make it way more expensive. I don't know who you guys are, so why would I want you all to move to the marion- and why are you implying that I asked people too?
I have a solution, in the event of a hurricane you get creative with Jersey Barriers and have the department of transportation use them as a a temporary levee in the event of a storm surge. So what if I told people that they was screwed more than vodka and orange juice, and then asked them to help out the FNB folks? I am 27, I do not have your years of wisdom, and experience, oh wise elder.
P.S. - I also haven't put up an alter ego, like people claim, because I would be a lot more creative if I did.

Quote:

Annod wrote:
Quote:

Pisces1979 wrote:
You guys are so screwed when a hurricane hits Jersey City.

So what's your point, Pisces1979? How old are you? 27? When I look back, I think I was pretty naive and immature at 27. 1979 was when I started this job.

Do you have a solution, Pisces1979? Do you want us to move to the Marion district and be your neighbor? You know what will happen then? The Marion district will get gentrified, real estate prices will go up, and rent will go up. Is that what you want?

You tell us we are screwed, and then you say, "Oh, by the way, can you help me with the food bomb project up here in Journal Square?" Was that a good idea, Pisces1979?

Posted on: 2006/3/8 16:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/28 13:48
From Columbus St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pisces1979 wrote:
You guys are so screwed when a hurricane hits Jersey City. The New York Bay and hudson river is a right angle, which will amplify a storm surge, not to mention when the surge causes the hudson to back up temporarily. In addition to that, a hurricane spins in a counterclockwise direction, which means that Jersey City will take the brunt of the surge. Maybe it is 5 feet, maybe 35 feet, either way, anything less than 50 feet above sea level is in danger.

I have a fourth floor apartment, so when the flood comes, ya'll's invited.

I got the tunes, you bring the beers! I have roof access, so, once the rain stops...bring your bathing suits! Diving for tequila shots!! (Watch out for the rats.)

Posted on: 2006/3/8 15:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Annod wrote:
You tell us we are screwed, and then you say, "Oh, by the way, can you help me with the food bomb project up here in Journal Square?" Was that a good idea, Pisces1979?

A ha. Another one that falls for the trap. Dude, you can't make sense out of what this guy says. I'm his age and his ramblings are completely incoherent and regularly contradict each other.. By 26-27 you shouldn't be this naive.

Notice that his alter-ego disappeared when we called him on it.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pisces1979 wrote:
You guys are so screwed when a hurricane hits Jersey City.

So what's your point, Pisces1979? How old are you? 27? When I look back, I think I was pretty naive and immature at 27. 1979 was when I started this job.

Do you have a solution, Pisces1979? Do you want us to move to the Marion district and be your neighbor? You know what will happen then? The Marion district will get gentrified, real estate prices will go up, and rent will go up. Is that what you want?

Posted on: 2006/3/8 15:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/11 20:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pisces1979 wrote:
You guys are so screwed when a hurricane hits Jersey City. The New York Bay and hudson river is a right angle, which will amplify a storm surge, not to mention when the surge causes the hudson to back up temporarily. In addition to that, a hurricane spins in a counterclockwise direction, which means that Jersey City will take the brunt of the surge. Maybe it is 5 feet, maybe 35 feet, either way, anything less than 50 feet above sea level is in danger.

I say bring on the storm, this town needs and enema anyway.
Maybe the current administration will be swept out with the flood waters.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 3:16
----------------------
"Here comes the Irishman to take all you guinea's money."- Goodfellas

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Metropolis wrote:
Quote:

Pisces1979 wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah... we all saw "The Day After Tomorrow" We live on 5th and are required to have flood insurance.... we used to live on West Hamilton and were not.... but if you ever walk down Coles st. you notice there's not much of a change in altitude. Politics. That's the answer to all questions.
Mark.

Actually, while biking it seems HP itself is downhill from Newark! Flood insurance is a great rippoff for us. I'll bet a house hasn't EVER been declared a total loss due to natural flood here. Even in New Orleans the houses wouldn't have been totalled if they weren't below sea level and the water stayed for so long. Lots of river flooded houses in NJ survive just fine, though the furnishings are junk.

We all know how the great flood of NY harbor will play out eventually. Rising sea levels will insure that we'll eventually get a storm surge over the bulkheads all around the harbor and river. The Govt will claim they never saw it coming and no one warned them. And only after hundreds of billions in damage will they take the obvious steps to secure the harbor like Venice and Amsterdam have done, with closable sea gates at the Verrazano Narrows and Throgs Neck.

That, or Ogden Ave will be waterfront property in 2100.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 3:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pisces1979 wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah... we all saw "The Day After Tomorrow" We live on 5th and are required to have flood insurance.... we used to live on West Hamilton and were not.... but if you ever walk down Coles st. you notice there's not much of a change in altitude. Politics. That's the answer to all questions.

Mark.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 0:51
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/14 20:38
From Journal Square / Marion
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/3/8 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
What insurance agencies do you use to get flood insurance for downtown, especially Paulus Hook? Does the premium vary or is it a standard price? Does the governemt set the price or does the insurance company set the price? What insurance company do you recommend for flood insurance?

I have a condo on the fourth floor. My mortgage company requires me to have flood insurance. I just want to know what insurance agencies and insurance companies you guys use. I do not want to debate whether I need it or not.

Thank you in advance.

Posted on: 2006/3/8 0:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/1 11:55
Group:
Registered Users
Depending on what causes your water damage, your hazard insurance may cover it (i.e. broken sewer, water heater etc.). Flood insurance is generally only good for a total loss. The geniuses at FEMA have a web tool to find out how hazardous your location is to flood: www.floodsmart.gov and choose number 2 on the upper right hand menu.
Pretty much anyplace in downtown JC they'll say is high risk. Of course, they won't be able to do anything if something happens, even if Dubya calls for a 'War on Water'

Posted on: 2005/9/9 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Not all areas in downtown are considered to be in a flood zone .

Posted on: 2005/9/8 21:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/28 23:53
From Moved to Dallas TX
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
... But what does it actually cover? I've no clue.

It's a really good idea to know what your paying for. Read your policy or have your agent explain what coverage you're buying.

You could be covered in the event of a natural flood (heavy rain, hurricane, etc.) but not covered for a water pipe breakage which floods your basement or vice versa.

Posted on: 2005/9/8 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
We are required to purchase a flood ins policy by our mortgage lender, and I presume all downtown JC homeowners are, too. Do we need it? Apparently so, because we are in a flood zone. But what does it actually cover? I've no clue.

Posted on: 2005/9/8 3:08

Flood Insurance.......Do You Need It ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
flood insurance in jersey city is a joke. since I have my home I 've
been paying flood Ins and for what. the Ins co tells me I can only put a claim in only If I have a total loss on my property, the city tells me that the last time the city was zoned was 1895, yes 1895. we have come a long way since then. fema tells me to hire a licensed land survevor at my own cost. talking to steven fulop one night around the feast I said do you know anything about the flood Ins zoning in our city and to his suprise,told me he was paying flood Ins to but when he purchased his home he was so happy to get it he did't realize he paying for flood Ins.something has to done the city or fema should come in and do a survey on all the maped areas because when it rains and I mean rain my basement is dry.

Posted on: 2005/9/8 0:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017