Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Coronavirus is now in Hudson County
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
A mutated strain of Covid-19 is now causing deaths in Thailand. Patients come in without any of the typical Covid-19 symptoms (dry cough, diarrhea, etc.)

Instead they come into the hospital with a severe headache. Spinal taps reveal the virus present. Patients have been suffering a shutdown of their central nervous system which leads to death.

Link?

I don't know the veracity of the information based upon other stories on the site, but here's the story:

Link

And it's interesting because this woman describes these symptoms and I immediately thought there was a neuro component to this (like some of the entero viruses that have been circulating and hitting kids):

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/20-year- ... -very-different-symptoms/

Entero D68

More - D68/EVM Paralyzed Child Outbreak

Posted on: 2020/3/23 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
A mutated strain of Covid-19 is now causing deaths in Thailand. Patients come in without any of the typical Covid-19 symptoms (dry cough, diarrhea, etc.)

Instead they come into the hospital with a severe headache. Spinal taps reveal the virus present. Patients have been suffering a shutdown of their central nervous system which leads to death.

Link?

Posted on: 2020/3/23 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Thank you.

It's nice to see most on here taking it seriously.

But the idiot Hannity bots like Yvonne are just more evil and stupid daily.

Posted on: 2020/3/23 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2020/3/23 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
So far, we have one death in the family from it, my sister in law's uncle, who had a heart condition. One of my wife's aunts has it. She worked in a restaurant that refused to close until legally required. She was taken to the hospital with distressed breathing last night.

Even Hannity has turned a full 180 on minimizing the crisis because the lie was not holding anymore.

Why don't you go walk through a crowded ICU?

I'm really sorry to hear about your family's suffering. We have to take this seriously folks.

Posted on: 2020/3/23 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
So far, we have one death in the family from it, my sister in law's uncle, who had a heart condition. One of my wife's aunts has it. She worked in a restaurant that refused to close until legally required. She was taken to the hospital with distressed breathing last night.

Even Hannity has turned a full 180 on minimizing the crisis because the lie was not holding anymore.

Why don't you go walk through a crowded ICU?

Posted on: 2020/3/23 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotdisko wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

robotdisko wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
What is in that medical journal is what schools receive all the time in NYC. My principal would display NYC health department notices all the time where the teachers picked up their mail. I have been reading about this for years. People with immune problems are the ones at risk, but who cares about them? It is more important that the left push open the borders for potential voters down the road.

you love being an idiot, carry on!

No, I love showing the hypocrisy of people like you.

you don't know anything about me. so your statement shows how empty your head is.

carry on. we all need a clown to entertain us

I actually knew elderly people who have died from the complications of pneumonia because they were exposed to an influx of illegal immigrants in their neighborhood. These were new strains found in that population. So if this virus is contagious, they it is about time this government take a look at the illegal immigrants which who brings in health problems especially in crowded communities.

Posted on: 2020/3/23 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A partial list of treatments currently being tried on COVID-19 patients:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/20 ... es-scientific-background/

Posted on: 2020/3/23 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Taped four years ago:

https://youtu.be/6Af6b_wyiwI

Posted on: 2020/3/23 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
https://www.theguardian.com/environmen ... ponsible-for-covid-19-aoe

I was talking to my friend last night who just finished her undergrad in anthropology and international politics. In an exercise of sharing conspiracy theories of the Corona virus, she suggested the Gaia hypothesis - are you familiar with it? It was developed in the 1970s by a chemist and microbiologist. In short, it suggests that organisms co-evolve with their environment and Earth may be considered a single organism. So humans create the man-made stuff (cars, factories, planes, and so on) which directly impact the chemicals and gases in our atmosphere which directly effect our water, light, radiation, temperature, soil. Then those impact our natural world (plants, animals) over time.

That being considered, viruses like Ebola or Sars or most recently, COVID-19, can be considered Mother Nature fighting back. Confining us to our homes, shifting the way we work over night, shutting down harmful manufacturing plants, lifting smog from entire cities, bringing tourism to a grinding halt, clearing up traffic jams on every continent....all so Mother Nature can take a breath of fresh, clean air and show the world how harmful our daily, normal activities are to her health. As drastic as the measures now being taken by governments all over the world may seem, she knew a deadly virus would be the only way to get the kind of attention needed to address human ignorance. The deaths caused by COVID-19 or any other virus actually, is the Earth's immune system trying to clean itself. To add a layer of satire, Mother Nature transmits the virus through the animals we are killing to feed people. Overpopulation is the biggest threat to our world after all. For example, sustaining a food supply for billions of people poses an enormous threat to the atmosphere and ultimately, the livability of the Earth.

Posted on: 2020/3/23 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Okay, poll question for the day:
What do you miss most since moving to Coronaville?
Me?
1. Walking without abject fear of contamination.
2. Gino's pizza.
You? Begin.

Seriously, "abject fear"? Get a grip woman. Your odd of getting hit by a crappy JC driver while on a stroll on a given normal day are probably higher than catching Covid while walking outdoors, never mind dying from it.

I miss just sitting down at a local eatery for lunch.

Posted on: 2020/3/22 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, poll question for the day:

What do you miss most since moving to Coronaville?

Me?

1. Walking without abject fear of contamination.

2. Gino's pizza.

You? Begin.

Posted on: 2020/3/22 17:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/24 21:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

robotdisko wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
What is in that medical journal is what schools receive all the time in NYC. My principal would display NYC health department notices all the time where the teachers picked up their mail. I have been reading about this for years. People with immune problems are the ones at risk, but who cares about them? It is more important that the left push open the borders for potential voters down the road.

you don't know anything about me. so your statement shows how empty your head is.

carry on. we all need a clown to entertain us

Posted on: 2020/3/22 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
This is the easy part. With the aftermath will come the real pain!

Posted on: 2020/3/22 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
A dissenting opinion on Covid (just for FYI):

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/e ... ria-covid-19-1b767def5894

Excerpt:

The results of their research show that COVID-19 doesn?t spread as easily as we first thought or the media had us believe (remember people abandoned their dogs out of fear of getting infected). According to their report if you come in contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19 you have a 1?5% chance of catching it as well. The variability is large because the infection is based on the type of contact and how long.

The majority of viral infections come from prolonged exposures in confined spaces with other infected individuals. Person-to-person and surface contact is by far the most common cause. From the WHO report, ?When a cluster of several infected people occurred in China, it was most often (78?85%) caused by an infection within the family by droplets and other carriers of infection in close contact with an infected person.

Another one from Richard Epstein of the Hoover Institute:

Podcast

https://www.hoover.org/research/coronavirus-isnt-pandemic

It is what it is. The fact that so many caregivers who were taking reasonable precautions have caught it shows to me that it's contagious enough to warrant the current situation. I personally don't want to roll a 20 sided die with every contact on whether I end up on a ventilator.

Posted on: 2020/3/21 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotdisko wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2020/3/21 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A dissenting opinion on Covid (just for FYI):

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/e ... ria-covid-19-1b767def5894

Excerpt:

The results of their research show that COVID-19 doesn?t spread as easily as we first thought or the media had us believe (remember people abandoned their dogs out of fear of getting infected). According to their report if you come in contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19 you have a 1?5% chance of catching it as well. The variability is large because the infection is based on the type of contact and how long.

The majority of viral infections come from prolonged exposures in confined spaces with other infected individuals. Person-to-person and surface contact is by far the most common cause. From the WHO report, ?When a cluster of several infected people occurred in China, it was most often (78?85%) caused by an infection within the family by droplets and other carriers of infection in close contact with an infected person.

Another one from Richard Epstein of the Hoover Institute:

Podcast

https://www.hoover.org/research/coronavirus-isnt-pandemic

Posted on: 2020/3/21 20:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/24 21:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2020/3/21 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
More info on infection rates based on genetics, hormones, health....

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202003.0191/v1

Abstract:

The COVID19 coronavirus SARS-CoV2 spreading in Wuhan and now worldwide has been shown to use angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 ACE2 as its host cell receptor, like the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV). Epidemiology studies found different sex and age groups have different susceptibility to infection, and very skewed severity and mortality of the virus infection, with male, old age, and comorbidity being the most inflicted. Here by analyzing GTEx and other public data in 30 tissues across thousands of individuals, we found significantly higher expression in Asian females compared to males and other ethnic groups, an age dependent ACE2 expression decrease and a highly significant decrease in type II diabetic patients. Consistently, the most significant expression quantitative loci (eQTLs) contributing to high ACE2 expression are close to 100% in East Asians, >30% higher than other ethnic groups. Together with the shockingly common enrichment of viral infection pathways among ACE2 anti-expressed genes, binding of virus infection-related transcription factors at ACE2 regulatory regions, the repression of ACE2 expression by inflammatory cytokines and by type 2 diabetes, and the induction by estrogen and androgen (both decrease with age) established a negative correlation between ACE2 expression and CovID19 fatality at both population and molecular levels. Our results will be instrumental when designing potential prevention and treatment strategies for ACE2 binding coronaviruses in general.

Posted on: 2020/3/20 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
JCParking@JCParking (3/20/2020 twitter)

UPDATE: Parking regulations are suspended until further notice. That means street cleaning, residential zone parking, and meter rules will not be enforced during the current COVID-19 health emergency.

About the sound of silence. I will never forget the days after 9/11 and how still everything was. I always describe it as going outside right after a blizzard. No sound no movement. After 9/11 the only very appreciated sounds were from the F-16?s that circled NYC 24/7 for a few days protecting us from further harm.

Posted on: 2020/3/20 17:37

Edited by neverleft on 2020/3/20 17:56:05
Edited by neverleft on 2020/3/20 17:57:07
Edited by neverleft on 2020/3/20 17:58:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Same. I'm sitting on my patio right now, and I hear birds and breeze, and almost none of the typical traffic, helicopters, daytime drunkards' shenanigans, etc. that I usually hear.

Posted on: 2020/3/20 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You know what's weird, I never realized how noisy my neighborhood was until it got very, very quiet over the last few days. It's not my neighbors - it's a total reduction of car, bus, plane and helicopter traffic that's my usual soundtrack all day long. It hit me yesterday when I took a moment to sit still for a minute. I don't think I've heard this level of quiet since I lived upstate.

Posted on: 2020/3/20 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2020/3/20 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
What a disgraceful misuse of a legitimate medical journal.

Posted on: 2020/3/20 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
An example of what migrants bring when they cross the border: TB, syphilis, measles, leprosy, and a changing list of current threats such as polio, cholera, diphtheria, smallpox, or severe acute respiratory syndromes.
https://sma.org/illegal-immigration-an ... at-of-infectious-disease/

Posted on: 2020/3/20 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

My favorite economic sideshow is how this is going to affect the shale plays. I've been hearing for years none of it was ever actually profitable, that it was all basically a debt fueled Ponzi scheme. So while right now energy prices are in freefall, the recovery may be with no fracking and virtual banking subsidy of energy prices. Great for alternative energy in the long run, but no the short.

WTF has happened to American Capitalism? Milton Friedman basically destroyed it. We've become of nation of grasshoppers, having no idea how to save for a rainy day on an institutional level.

Fracking: Yes and no. Gas is for the most part barely or unprofitable. About 35% to 40% of all the gas pulled out of the ground in the USA is burned off as a waste product (comes up with the oil). Gas just got too cheap and will probably stay that way for years.

Oil is for many producers profitable. The Saudis already tried to kill the US domestic drillers back in 2016 and failed. The Saudis dropping the price of oil ended up accelerating the pace of innovation. New wells now are approaching break even cost to that of Saudi Arabia itself.

As for WTF happened: Private profits / socialized costs. There is a disincentive to be fiscally prudent when the government bails you out (i.e. Citibank) and an incentive to boost stock price artificially (bonuses , paying compensation in stock or stock options). You have to get rid of the former (my preference.. I prefer "the stupid will be punished" approach) or heavily regulate / ban the latter.

What I've heard is the production falloff on shale wells is so much faster than traditional that the capital is not recaptured. But like the subprime mess, there's so much smoke and mirrors on the books that money keeps flowing in like a Ponzi.

I don't recall if I've linked this here yet or not, but one of my favorite podcasts of all time is 2 Libertarian economists arguing over whether Big Capitalism is inevitably corrupt and rent seeking, and they found they could find no way way out. There's always a point where the next dollar spent is more profitable buying influence, protection and subsidy than investing in the business. You know I believe in capitalism, it's central to the rental RE game, but our Capitalists don't seem to.

https://www.econtalk.org/michael-munger-on-crony-capitalism/

Posted on: 2020/3/19 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
(I posted this before, but I think it bears repeating as we see more cases here:)

Diarrhea and other digestive symptoms are the main complaint in nearly half of coronavirus patients, Chinese researchers report. Most patients with the coronavirus have respiratory symptoms, but these findings from the early stages of the outbreak show that digestive problems are prevalent in many patients with COVID-19.

"Clinicians must bear in mind that digestive symptoms, such as diarrhea, may be a presenting feature of COVID-19, and that the index of suspicion may need to be raised earlier in these cases rather than waiting for respiratory symptoms to emerge," wrote the investigators from the Wuhan Medical Treatment Expert Group for COVID-19.

The researchers analyzed data from 204 COVID-19 patients, average age nearly 55, who were admitted to three hospitals in the Hubei province between Jan. 18 and Feb. 28, 2020. The average time from symptom onset to hospital admission was 8.1 days.

More

Posted on: 2020/3/19 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

My favorite economic sideshow is how this is going to affect the shale plays. I've been hearing for years none of it was ever actually profitable, that it was all basically a debt fueled Ponzi scheme. So while right now energy prices are in freefall, the recovery may be with no fracking and virtual banking subsidy of energy prices. Great for alternative energy in the long run, but no the short.

WTF has happened to American Capitalism? Milton Friedman basically destroyed it. We've become of nation of grasshoppers, having no idea how to save for a rainy day on an institutional level.

Fracking: Yes and no. Gas is for the most part barely or unprofitable. About 35% to 40% of all the gas pulled out of the ground in the USA is burned off as a waste product (comes up with the oil). Gas just got too cheap and will probably stay that way for years.

Oil is for many producers profitable. The Saudis already tried to kill the US domestic drillers back in 2016 and failed. The Saudis dropping the price of oil ended up accelerating the pace of innovation. New wells now are approaching break even cost to that of Saudi Arabia itself.

As for WTF happened: Private profits / socialized costs. There is a disincentive to be fiscally prudent when the government bails you out (i.e. Citibank) and an incentive to boost stock price artificially (bonuses , paying compensation in stock or stock options). You have to get rid of the former (my preference.. I prefer "the stupid will be punished" approach) or heavily regulate / ban the latter.

Posted on: 2020/3/19 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

If we're going to pick about numbers, lets start with the absurdity of those "mortality rates".

Late January I was incensed of the "it's just the flu" response to talk of shutting down travel from China and other countries early affected by it. I we-worked my schedule to travel as little as possible a month ago (my wife is in the 'at risk' group) to not be a vector for getting people at home sick.

I still think it is worse than the flu, based on the mortality figures, which for my age group and younger is about 100% more than the typical flu. It is double a very small number though.

Now we have gone into the over-reaction zone. Wouldn't it be more prudent at this point to isolate the 'at risk' people (diabetics, elderly, severely overweight, people on immune suppressants) instead of shutting down the whole damn country?

Posted on: 2020/3/19 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Read an update from the guy working an ER in Miami. The key points:

Traffic is way down. The number of people who come in with minor issues has evaporated. New cases of people with Covid symptoms is also way down. He surmised the people with mild cases are just staying home.

Their intensive care units are full, but the overflow tent setup at the hospital remains empty.

Posted on: 2020/3/19 20:39

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017