Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: JC teachers who made 99K or more in 2019
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
And yet, not a peep about record deficits now.

Posted on: 2019/12/26 7:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Baloney about inflation, people ignore that Bush 43 and Obama, a total of 16 years, had flat economies. The fact that Social Security recipients did not receive increase under Obama is ignored. But the spending under both administrations went through the roof. At the end of 2000, the national debt was $5 trillion but at the end of the Obama Administration, it was $22 trillion. Both administrations spent through the roof.

Lol. Hopefully Yvnonne didn't teach economics or math.

I proudly did because my students actually scored very high in the math portions of state exams. I actually wish NYS and the Archdiocese of NYC would release my students' scores.

Posted on: 2019/12/21 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Baloney about inflation, people ignore that Bush 43 and Obama, a total of 16 years, had flat economies. The fact that Social Security recipients did not receive increase under Obama is ignored. But the spending under both administrations went through the roof. At the end of 2000, the national debt was $5 trillion but at the end of the Obama Administration, it was $22 trillion. Both administrations spent through the roof.

Lol. Hopefully Yvnonne didn't teach economics or math.

Posted on: 2019/12/20 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/12/20 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
This comparison is meaningless if you're not compensating for inflation. $90M in 1975 had the buying power of $430M today. So you're making an approx 1.5x comparison ($430M vs $600M) look like 7x.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This has nothing to do with the Boomer generation. I read budgets. In the 1970s, when the boomers were young, the city council budget was $90 million and it took 300 years to get to that point, in the by the early 2000s, it jumped to $321 million. Now less than 20 years later, it is over $600 million. It has to do with bonding and spending. And that is just city government.

Posted on: 2019/12/19 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This has nothing to do with the Boomer generation. I read budgets. In the 1970s, when the boomers were young, the city council budget was $90 million and it took 300 years to get to that point, in the by the early 2000s, it jumped to $321 million. Now less than 20 years later, it is over $600 million. It has to do with bonding and spending. And that is just city government.

Exactly. All the commercial development did nothing to help residents with taxes. Tax and spend. Tax and spend. Where have I heard that before?

Posted on: 2019/12/17 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
$120,000 or so for a professional with 30+ years of experience does not seem unreasonable.

Posted on: 2019/12/17 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know why the state allowed Jersey City to break the law for 30 years by not ever doing a reval? How did all the mayors, including Fulop get away with it?

You can blame people for not saving up for a rainy day when they knew their taxes were low, but I'm sorry it's not right for someone's taxes to go from $4k to $20k overnight. Every single one of those mayors should have gone to jail for breaking the law. "oh get a reverse mortgage, just sell the home you lived in for 40 years....."
People suck.
And teachers should make $100k if they have 20 years of experience.
I feel better now.

Posted on: 2019/12/17 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/12/17 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

LOL! I *am* in the private sector. I'm just not a pathetic old bigoted crank that embodies the Boomer generation's motto "I got mine, screw you for trying to get yours."

Instead of using the excuse of "I can't afford my taxes", why don't you ask the better question of why you didn't save up enough money to weather an increase in property taxes?

Seems to me that the issue isn't in teachers getting paid a living wage. The issue is that you supported tax cuts on wealthy people, something you will never be, and then bemoaned the fact that there isn't enough cash in the coffers. Maybe if you weren't so self absorbed and much better educated, you'd make better life decisions so that an increase in property taxes isn't an issue.

I agree with the latter two paragraphs of your statement, I objected to Reagan era tax cuts, I have objected to all the following Republican Tax cuts ever since.

But I'm also a "Boomer." and I am very very offended by the concept that all boomers are responsible for the plight of our younger generations. Selfish hypocrites come in all ages. I agree my generation was handed a much better living situation than Gen X, Gen Y, or Millennials, (quite frankly I'm not a big fan of these age categories, why can't we just describe people by their age?) I come across teens, twenty somethings, thirty somethings, young adults in their 40s etc who are just as selfish as some of my peers. I also find responsible people in all age groups.

Let me put it very simply, I'm not okay with the "Okay Boomer" movement. The fault lies with those who refuse to see that conservatives and their drive to choke government with all the tax cuts of the last 40 years is the real issue.

Posted on: 2019/12/17 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tell that to the people who are in lien, the Jersey Journal has close to 40 pages with columns on two sides on each page. While Secaucus had 11 properties, which if similar to JC population would be 55 names. Blame the people for being poor because the cost of government is above their ability to pay, Pebble. The cost of government that is close to one billion when you add up the schools, county and municipals. That figure is in the budget, Peddle. Do some budget reading for a change.

Posted on: 2019/12/17 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
The foundation of every state is the education of its youth.

To pin point teacher's salaries for the reason someone can't afford to pay their taxes on their house in a highly gentrified city is asinine.

Ah, see, the issue isn't salaries. It is selfishness. She benefited from the gentrification in selling her house for quite a large amount. Instead of recognizing that she was able to skate by and pay a WAY below-market property tax on the place she sold, she's mad that she has to pay market rate taxes now.

This has NOTHING to do with teachers and everything to do with being the perfect example of a Boomer.

Her current home is worth a lot less than the one she sold. This becomes funny because she paid so far below market rate on that original property that her current property taxes (which are still below market rate) are likely higher than before and her limited education cannot grasp why that is or how it happened.

Posted on: 2019/12/16 21:32
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If you want to make money, Pebble, then go into the private sector. Making money in the public sector, puts a large burden on taxpayers. Just buy yesterday Jersey Journal. There are pages after pages of people in lien who cannot afford government including paying the salaries of public school teachers. But you are right about the cost of college, it was cheaper in the past. It only went up when the federal government started subsidizing colleges. Young people are being ripped off but that is not the problem of struggling taxpayers who only want to live in their homes.

LOL! I *am* in the private sector. I'm just not a pathetic old bigoted crank that embodies the Boomer generation's motto "I got mine, screw you for trying to get yours."

Instead of using the excuse of "I can't afford my taxes", why don't you ask the better question of why you didn't save up enough money to weather an increase in property taxes?

Seems to me that the issue isn't in teachers getting paid a living wage. The issue is that you supported tax cuts on wealthy people, something you will never be, and then bemoaned the fact that there isn't enough cash in the coffers. Maybe if you weren't so self absorbed and much better educated, you'd make better life decisions so that an increase in property taxes isn't an issue.

Posted on: 2019/12/16 21:27
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
The foundation of every state is the education of its youth.

To pin point teacher's salaries for the reason someone can't afford to pay their taxes on their house in a highly gentrified city is asinine.

Posted on: 2019/12/16 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you want to make money, Pebble, then go into the private sector. Making money in the public sector, puts a large burden on taxpayers. Just buy yesterday Jersey Journal. There are pages after pages of people in lien who cannot afford government including paying the salaries of public school teachers. But you are right about the cost of college, it was cheaper in the past. It only went up when the federal government started subsidizing colleges. Young people are being ripped off but that is not the problem of struggling taxpayers who only want to live in their homes.

Posted on: 2019/12/13 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Most of the teachers on the list at the link had more than 30, 40 or even 50 years experience, which doesn't and shouldn't come cheap.

There were, however, numerous others on the list that had been working for New Jersey for far less, some less than 2 years, however, I really don't think they were just hired out of college at those salaries, no doubt they were teaching in another state before New Jersey, so it's kind of misleading in that sense. Here's the part of the link that shows the full list:

https://patch.com/new-jersey/pointplea ... who-make-99k-or-more-2019

What I don't get is exactly what Yvonne was seeking to accomplish here. Was she trying to say that these teachers earn too much and should have asked for a lower salary when they started the job? Human nature just doesn't work that way and never will.

Perhaps Yvonne should tell us what she made as a teacher right before she retired and what she feels an appropriate salary is for X years experience?

Yvonne "taught" in a private school. There is a FAR less stringent requirement of education and skill to be a teacher there and those teachers always make less money. Effectively, private school is where teachers that can't work in public schools go to get some green.

What I find interesting every time I read about salaries and complaints is that the wrong questions are always asked. The question shouldn't be "Why are they making X?" The question should be "Why am *I* NOT making X?"

As taxes on the wealthiest individuals have dropped due to the selfishness of our worst generation, Boomers, the money for services and the spread of wealth has declined. Middle class has been stagnant for decades.

The boomer generation attended college on cheap. They could afford classes working a part time job. Now those same schools leave students in debt for generations.

Stop asking why someone else makes more than you do. Start asking why you aren't making the same money as them.

Posted on: 2019/12/13 16:15
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
I taught high school for a little over ten years and retired at sixty-two.

Though there are many wonderful people in the craft it has to be said that longevity, not merit brings high salaries. The longer one stays in the job, the more one makes; so why leave?
Young people entering the profession are faced with lower salaries and longer times to get their steps to higher salaries. So, as a rule of thumb, the best and the brightest pack it in while the long term people stay in place.
As a result the system becomes stale and less productive.

Posted on: 2019/12/8 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The last data I saw, the average income for families in JC was $55,000, perhaps it is slightly higher now. So, this is the reason why more people are in tax lien. The idea not to blame tax abated properties, is to ignore the truth, it is a sweetheart deal at the expense of everyone else especially those in tax lien. It is totally unfair to have abated properties to use the public schools including charter schools and not pay a cent.

Posted on: 2019/12/7 16:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/13 2:42
From The Island
Group:
Registered Users
Even if a district has the best teachers in the state and are miraculously paying them their worth, that will still only be part of the equation of a successful district.
If the students they are teaching choose not learn or care about education there is little to be done about it.

If we are choosing to lay blame on a poorly run system or district, keep in mind that is the voting public who voted those BoE members in.

I feel that the misappropriation of funds by the people voted in as a bigger problem.

People being taxed out of their homes is devastating, but doesn't that fall on the city of Jersey City for refusing to reevaluate over the last few decades? How does that become an educators responsibility/fault? If the city was keeping up with more steady assessments home owners would have been better acclimated to the major gains that have swept up much of the city in recent years.

Posted on: 2019/12/7 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
So we have a problem, we have a shitty system with some of the best paid teachers in the country. Go figure.

This right here is the real problem! While we should have well paid teachers to ensure we give our kids the best possible education we can afford as a city, we have a real problem in that we have very well paid teachers and an atrocious school system that ranks VERY poorly. Why is that?

If better teachers equal better results, then why are we having such bad results? Something is not adding up in JC.

Posted on: 2019/12/6 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I'm 55 years old, with a BS in accounting and a practicing attorney. We're not going to attract the brightest and best by underpaying them. People cannot afford to live in this year on less than $90,000.00 . We have lost our best candidates to careers that pay more. We have to attract those people.

Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
Lol. You sound like a typical Millennial. I have no experience, but I want to start at the top. Wouldn't we all like to have things given to us before proving ourselves.

Bravo... we entrust teachers with our children. We want them to be availed to the best and brightest teachers we can afford.

Posted on: 2019/12/6 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I'm 55 years old, with a BS in accounting and a practicing attorney. We're not going to attract the brightest and best by underpaying them. People cannot afford to live in this year on less than $90,000.00 . We have lost our best candidates to careers that pay more. We have to attract those people.

Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
Lol. You sound like a typical Millennial. I have no experience, but I want to start at the top. Wouldn't we all like to have things given to us before proving ourselves.

Posted on: 2019/12/6 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
As for the people living in tax abated buildings, what is the issue there?

Yvonne likes to pretend that abated properties pay nothing, rather than PILOTS that pre-reval were often way more than she and her brownstone brethren were paying. Controlling expenses of unionized municipal employees is a big problem, but unrelated to abatements.

Interesting article here:https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-c ... teachers-work-long-hours/

Quote:
The bottom line on deciding on compensation is whether you?re paying enough to get a sufficiently large supply of sufficiently good employees. In other words, if you think we have more great teachers than we need you should be okay with lower compensation rates. Contrariwise, if you think we need more great teachers than we have on board then you should want to raise salaries. That?s how a market system works?you get what you pay for.

Gist is economics says you either you have shitty teachers who are underpaid, or great teachers who are paid well. The market says you can't have great teachers who are underpaid, or they'd be somewhere else where they can be paid more. So we have a problem, we have a shitty system with some of the best paid teachers in the country. Go figure.

Posted on: 2019/12/5 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
My salary was private, it did not come from the public and did not affect anyone's taxes and it was not $99K. I just saw my former neighbor's house listed in today's paper under tax lien. Reval brought up his taxes and now he is in a hole for $30,000. $7,500 goes to the public school from his $30,000. But in the meanwhile, some people live in tax abated buildings and use the public schools and have no concern about losing their homes. The issue is the affordability of living in JC and paying taxes that steals people homes. The lien list has 37 pages of people in tax lien. Secaucus is 20 percent of JC population, had eleven names in lien which would be 55 people if the same size as JC. It is about the affordability of living in this city. So, nicky, spend $1.50 on the Jersey Journal and see the results of giving some teachers $99K plus. Public education is not free, it cost people money and homes.

Property taxes are a problem for some long-term residents but I don't see how teachers who make these salaries are at fault for peoples' homes getting tax liens on them. As for the people living in tax abated buildings, what is the issue there? Should the people in those buildings voluntarily pay extra property taxes. Tax abatements are not forever, eventually those buildings pay the same property taxes as any regular building. I do agree that the city is much too liberal with that, and don't understand the need for tax abatements in the waterfront area, but again, the people who live in those buildings are not to blame for other people suffering tax liens and other financial problems.

Posted on: 2019/12/5 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
My salary was private, it did not come from the public and did not affect anyone's taxes and it was not $99K. I just saw my former neighbor's house listed in today's paper under tax lien. Reval brought up his taxes and now he is in a hole for $30,000. $7,500 goes to the public school from his $30,000. But in the meanwhile, some people live in tax abated buildings and use the public schools and have no concern about losing their homes. The issue is the affordability of living in JC and paying taxes that steals people homes. The lien list has 37 pages of people in tax lien. Secaucus is 20 percent of JC population, had eleven names in lien which would be 55 people if the same size as JC. It is about the affordability of living in this city. So, nicky, spend $1.50 on the Jersey Journal and see the results of giving some teachers $99K plus. Public education is not free, it cost people money and homes.

Yvonne, the lien list really has little to do with anyone actually getting their property seized, all the tax mayhem here has simply led to a lot of confusion about when and what to pay. I have ended up there when the bank screwed up and didn't pay the tax on time and when the water bill got screwed up. Perhaps Secaucus actually gets it's budget and tax bills in on time and communicates with it's citizens.

Posted on: 2019/12/5 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/12/5 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Most of the teachers on the list at the link had more than 30, 40 or even 50 years experience, which doesn't and shouldn't come cheap.

There were, however, numerous others on the list that had been working for New Jersey for far less, some less than 2 years, however, I really don't think they were just hired out of college at those salaries, no doubt they were teaching in another state before New Jersey, so it's kind of misleading in that sense. Here's the part of the link that shows the full list:

What I don't get is exactly what Yvonne was seeking to accomplish here. Was she trying to say that these teachers earn too much and should have asked for a lower salary when they started the job? Human nature just doesn't work that way and never will.

Perhaps Yvonne should tell us what she made as a teacher right before she retired and what she feels an appropriate salary is for X years experience?

Posted on: 2019/12/5 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/12/5 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If I read this list right, all of these teachers have 30+ years of experience. My guess is that they've all partaken in continuing education. These salaries are not out of line. If you want this kind of income, improve your own education.

Posted on: 2019/12/4 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Good for them. They work damn hard for the money.

Bravo. I'll never begrudge anyone who dedicates their life to educating children. I hate lists like this - I think they're intrusive.

Posted on: 2019/12/4 21:51

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017