Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
36 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 36

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Christmas Eve Concert. Midnight Mass. MOZART MISSA SOLEMNIS K337
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 3:20
Group:
Registered Users
Btw, there are no tickets needed for the concert or the Mass. People have been emailing the director, Simone Ferrasi and PMing me for tickets. All are welcome, as they say!

Posted on: 2019/12/10 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Btw, there are no tickets needed for the concert or the Mass. People have been emailing the director, Simone Ferrasi and PMing me for tickets. All are welcome, as they say!

Posted on: 2019/12/10 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 12:12
Group:
Registered Users
My pleasure. I often feel conflicted not attending mass at my local parish to go to the Cathedral. But I just love the Cathedral too much. So I go to three masses a year there, Christmas Eve, Easter and the Red Mass.

Posted on: 2019/12/2 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, my mistake, Sutherland. I misread the website! Thank's for the correction.

Posted on: 2019/12/2 5:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mao,

There is always a midnight mass at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart. I attended it last year. It is spectacular.

Posted on: 2019/12/2 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not on any of the liturgy committee's of any of the local parishes nor the Basilica Cathedral of the Sacred Heart. Regardless, I am confident mass at any parish will be inspiring.

Posted on: 2019/12/2 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I found the info below when I googled it the Cathedral Carol Service.

People really enjoy the Carol sing on December 11th. It is done by candlelight etc. and the choir really is excellent. I believe it is structured like the Anglican Service of Lessons and Carols. That is a lovely Protestant service, but it is not a Catholic liturgy! Moreover, the Carol Service is scheduled for December 11th, the middle of Advent when Christmas music traditionally would not be allowed. They did not even wait until Gaudete Sunday (the third Sunday of Advent when some pre-Christmas joy is expressed in the liturgy). These are concerns that would not matter to the vast majority of people and, in fact, probably seem a tad insane to the unitiated.

Anyway, the info is below. I see there does not appear to even be a midnight Mass!

Christmas at the Cathedral
Friday, December 6, 2019, 8:00 P.M.
Navidad Latina 2019
The Cathedral Spanish Choir, under the direction of Olfary Guitérrez, joins forces with singers and instrumentalists from other Latin American communities of the Archdiocese of Newark to present a program of Christmas music.

Free-will offering

Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 8:00 P.M.
Thursday, December 12, 2019, 8:00 P.M.
(Doors open at 7:00 P.M.)
The Forty-Ninth Annual Candlelight Carol Sing

The ambiance of candlelight and season décor, along with the Cathedral Choir, organ, brass, percussion, and thousands of participants combine to create an event that must be experienced.

Free-will offering

Sunday, December 22, 2019, 7:00 P.M.
Handel’s Messiah

George Frederick Handel’s beloved oratorio. New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, Roderick Cox, conductor, Montclair State University Singers, Heather Buchannan, director.

For more information, visit njsymphony.org/messiah or call 1.800.ALLEGRO (255.3476).

Sunday, March 15, 2020, 4:00 P.M.

Posted on: 2019/12/1 20:17

Edited by Mao on 2019/12/1 20:38:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Mr. Sutherland:

Thank you for your enthusiasm! Do have any details about any of these other Masses? For example, what Mass Ordinary is to be sing at Midgnight at the Cathedral. Or anywhere closer to home?

Thanks, in advance.

Yours,

Mao

Posted on: 2019/12/1 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, the Christmas Eve tradition is a great one. There are many opportunities for the faithful to celebrate them at many of the Jersey City parishes. And again, the beautiful Basilica Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, with it's beautiful choir and the very inspiring Cardinal Archbishop Joseph Tobin.

Posted on: 11/27 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Based on the Nativity story in the Gospel of Luke, Christian tradition holds that Jesus was born at night. Midnight Mass is celebrated on Christmas Eve in commemoration of his birth. The idea of Jesus being born at night is reflected in the fact that Christmas Eve is referred to as "Heilige Nacht" ("Holy Night") in German, "Nochebuena" ("the Good Night") in Spanish and similarly in other expressions of Christmas spirituality, such as the song "Silent Night, Holy Night."

Christmas Midnight Mass is one of Christianity’s earliest traditions. Around the year 380, a woman named Egeria made a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, keeping a journal of the customs and liturgies she saw there. She witnessed the Christians celebrating the birth of Christ beginning with a midnight vigil in Bethlehem, which was followed by a torchlight procession to Jerusalem.

When the basilica of St. Mary Major was built in Rome around 430, Pope Sixtus III included a replica chapel of the Bethlehem cave where Jesus was born. He instituted the celebration of a midnight Mass in this chapel. Many Christians still cherish this custom as one of the holiest nights of the year.

Posted on: 11/27 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Of course all of the other Catholic Churches will be having Christmas Eve Masses in English. If you want a truly special experience you are always welcome to celebrate Christmas Eve Mass at Sacred Heart Cathedral, in Newark. It is probably the most beautiful piece of architecture in the entire United States, they have an incredible choir and Cardinal Archbishop Tobin gives an awe inspiring homily.

But if you stay local in JC, many of the local Catholic parishes have wonderful choirs as well.

Posted on: 11/27 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There will be no Latin Mass at St. Anthony's. The Latin Mass ended at St. Anthony's about ten months ago for reasons that are somewhat obscure. It has, however, continued on all Sundays and Holydays at various churches around town (e.g. St. Paul's Greenville, St. John the Baptist, and Assumption. Right now it is regularly at Assumtion at 8:30 am on Sundays and 7:00 pm on Holy Days. You can follow the community on its website.
https://latinmassjc.com/

Assumption does not have the grand altar that St. Anthony's has, but it's acoustics are much better!

Hope to see you there!

Posted on: 11/26 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 0:30
Group:
Registered Users
Will there a Latin Mass in St. Anthony? I remember attending one with a concert before the Mass.

Posted on: 11/26 20:45

Christmas Eve Concert. Midnight Mass. MOZART MISSA SOLEMNIS K337
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A Concert by Cantantes In Cordibus, directed by Simone Ferraresi will give on Chrstimas Eve at 11:30 PM at Assumption Church, 344 Pacific Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07304. http://home.simoneferraresi.com/ The concert will feature chorale and instrumental works from the Medieval period until the present. There is parking in the lot adjacent to the church. The Church is three blocks from the LIberty State Park Light Rail.

At Midnight, the First Mass of Chrstimas will begin. The Rev. John Perricone will offer the Mass. The liturgy will be offered in the Extraordinary Form and will be in Latin. Taditional Hymns such as Adeste Fideles will be sung. The propers will be sung by the men's schola under the direction of Dr.Joseph Orchard.

The Mass Ordinary is the last Mass competed by Mozart, his great Missa Solemnis in C K 337. he Missa in C major (‘Missa solemnis et brevis’, K337) is the last Mass-setting written for Salzburg, and indeed the last Mass which the composer completed. It bears the date March 1780 as does the Epistle Sonata (K336) which, almost certainly, is a companion piece. Masses in Salzburg are usually described either as ‘longa’ (‘long’) or ‘brevis’ (‘short’) but this setting is yet another form. It is ‘brevis’ in that it is quite efficient, but Mozart also uses the title ‘solemnis’ (‘solemn’) indicating its suitability for a grand occasion and highlighting the augmented instrumentation. The Mass is scored for strings (without violas) and has three trombone parts doubling the alto, tenor and bass parts of the chorus, but it is further enhanced by trumpets, timpani, oboes and bassoons.

The first three movements of K337 are in a style of which the Archbishop would most certainly have approved. The ‘Kyrie’ has a rather subdued opening but one which is solemn and penitential (not always the case in settings from this period). The ‘Gloria’ stands in contrast with its bustling instrumental writing and energetic choral parts and moves through the text at some speed. Only in the final ‘Amen’ does Mozart allow himself a little liberty with two coloratura sections for the soprano soloist. The ‘Credo’ continues the energetic mood and uses a rondo-like form with Mozart repeating an infectious swinging motif throughout the movement. After the ‘Credo’ things begin to change as Mozart starts to assert his own musical priorities as well as perhaps making a pointed gesture at Colloredo. The Archbishop had no time for fugues in music which could be lengthy and involved repetition of the text: he also disliked extended solos such as those sung by great divas in the opera houses. The ‘Sanctus’ begins in a solemn style but leads to a rather cheeky ‘Osanna’. For the ‘Benedictus’ there is a real change of direction as Mozart uses a serious-sounding fugue in A minor and unusually makes no use of the soloists before the return of the ‘Osanna’. This taxes the skills of even the most accomplished choirs and, Cantantes In Cordibus has been hard at work mastering it.

Even more mischievously, Mozart writes a gorgeous aria in the contrasting key of E flat major for the ‘Agnus Dei’, one that belongs more to the world of opera than to that of church music, and which also features an obbligato organ part and exquisite oboe and bassoon writing. The Dona Nobis Pacem will have you wanting to almost waltz your way up to Holy Communion on this night celebrating the hypostatic union iof the Incarnation of Our Lord. And since He is the Prince of Peace, we all pray , indeed, dona nobis pacem!

Posted on: 11/26 16:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017