Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: End of AirBnB in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
What's that sad lady from the tv commercial gonna do now? Oh I know maybe rent out her apartment to long term tenants while she lives in her second apartment?

If you're talking about that woman named Sherry, she doesn't even have to do that. She can continue to do the same as she did before, as long as she lives in the same building. These regulations didn't mean a damn thing to her! I don't think these regulations meant a damn thing to anybody featured in AirBnB's infomercials/advertorials. At the end of the day, they were just paid spokespeople with whom we were supposed to feel sympathy for. The people that this referendum did affect - people who own the buildings, rent out rooms on AirBnB but don't live in the buildings - don't present much of a sob story.

Never had a problem with AirBnB but I do have a problem with lying.

Posted on: 2019/11/6 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City voters say ?Yes? to Airbnb regulations in N.J.'s most expensive local referendum

Updated Nov 05, 2019;Posted Nov 05, 2019
By Joshua Rosario | The Jersey Journal

In the most expensive municipal referendum in state history, Jersey City voters on Tuesday preserved an ordinance that regulates short-term rentals, ending a bitter fight over the future of services like Airbnb in the state?s second-largest city.

Jersey City voted overwhelmingly ?yes? on Municipal Question 1 and upheld the new regulations, delivering a huge blow to Airbnb, which spent more than $3 million on the election.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/11/jers ... ive-local-referendum.html

Posted on: 2019/11/6 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
What's that sad lady from the tv commercial gonna do now? Oh I know maybe rent out her apartment to long term tenants while she lives in her second apartment?

Posted on: 2019/11/6 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City voters pass restrictions on Airbnb, short-term rentals

By DAVID PORTER
Updated 39 minutes ago

JERSEY CITY, New Jersey -- Voters in a New Jersey city that's just a few minutes by train from the tourist sights of Manhattan approved restrictions Tuesday on Airbnb and other short-term rental companies.

The vote was an endorsement of restrictions that were initially passed by Jersey City lawmakers in June, but were put on hold after short-term rental advocates gathered enough signatures to force a referendum.

Jersey City, a city of around 271,000 people just across the Hudson River from lower Manhattan, has become increasingly popular with tourists seeking an alternative to pricey New York City lodging. Since officials approved short-term rentals there about four years ago, the number of homes being listed nightly on sites like Airbnb has increased tenfold.

That led to complaints about absentee owners turning apartment buildings into de facto hotels and having a negative effect on affordable housing.

When city officials acted to reign in the Airbnb bonanza, short-term renters pushed back, saying putting their homes up on the site helped them defray high housing costs by bringing in paying guests.

The regulations limit how often landlords can rent properties if they don't live on site. They also forbid short-term rentals in buildings with more than four units if the owner isn't present and prohibit renters from serving as hosts.

The referendum was the latest chapter in a battle that has played out in numerous American cities, including San Francisco, where Airbnb is based.

It generated a flurry of television ads in the New York market with both sides accusing each other of spreading misinformation about the size of the market and the potential effect of the restrictions.

Airbnb and local advocates argued that the restrictions would have the effect of eliminating 90% of the city's properties from the market and would disproportionately affect renters, most of whom are minorities.

https://abc7ny.com/politics/jersey-cit ... ort-term-rentals/5672976/

Posted on: 2019/11/6 4:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Finally this non-sense is over.

Posted on: 2019/11/6 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Municipal Question #1 (Vote For 1)

Districts Reporting: 90%
Yes . 69.47% . 15,222
No . 30.53% . 6,690

As of 10pm

Posted on: 2019/11/6 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Link to AirBNB voting.... The question is going down in most districts by YES significant margins. Districts where NO won are close by 2 or 3 votes... Makes you wonder ?

https://results.enr.clarityelections.c ... 893/Web02.232126/#/cid/35

That map is a great tool. Funny Yun's Ward D The Heights and Boggiano's Ward C Journal Square went YES. They both voted NO on the ordinance.

Posted on: 2019/11/6 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Link to AirBNB voting.... The question is going down in most districts by YES significant margins. Districts where NO won are close by 2 or 3 votes... Makes you wonder ?

https://results.enr.clarityelections.c ... 893/Web02.232126/#/cid/35

Posted on: 2019/11/6 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Amen to the end of the commercials and mailings.... I was out about 7:00 before work Ward E. In and out, but as I was leaving about 12 people came through the door. It will be an interesting vote count.

Posted on: 2019/11/5 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
So the big vote is today, did you see many people at the polls?

I was 225 at noon pretty good.

At least after today that vote NO commercial with the woman who says:

?We obviously need to rent out our apartment in order to make ends meet and especially with taxes the way they are in Jersey City.?

Will stop.

Posted on: 2019/11/5 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So the big vote is today, did you see many people at the polls?

Posted on: 2019/11/5 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just to stir things up some more....

https://apnews.com/47f1797489eb4ab3928cd56aacfbfcec

Posted on: 2019/11/3 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The original ordinance was Mayor Fulop's idea, not Councilman Boggiano. I remember the articles in papers outside JC where he said JC is ready for Airbnb. At the point, Airbnb was getting some push back from New York City's residents.

Posted on: 2019/11/3 20:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm interesting website https://jerseycityairbnb.com/

Boggiano Family Profit from STRs

- November 1, 2019November 1, 2019 - friendly neighbor

https://jerseycityairbnb.com/boggiano-family-profit-from-strs/

Good for them. They were able to work hard, buy an investment and make money off of it.

Posted on: 2019/11/3 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hmmm interesting website https://jerseycityairbnb.com/

Boggiano Family Profit from STRs

- November 1, 2019November 1, 2019 - friendly neighbor

https://jerseycityairbnb.com/boggiano-family-profit-from-strs/

Posted on: 2019/11/3 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Short-term rentals referendum: Vote ?Yes,? push for amendments | Jersey Journal endorsement

Today 7:30 AM (11/2/2019)
By Jersey Journal Editorial

When Jersey City voters head to the polls Tuesday, they?ll decide whether new, more stringent restrictions on short-term rentals should be implemented or whether looser 2015 regulations should remain in effect while the city administration and council go back to the drawing board.

The debate over the referendum ? which was forced by the Airbnb platform and current hosts who either will be or fear they will be shut out of the market if the new regulations take effect -- has taken on a win-at-all-costs tenor we find disturbing.

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2019/11/sho ... -journal-endorsement.html

Posted on: 2019/11/2 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City fights Airbnb war fueled by NYC crackdown

By Julia Marsh October 29, 2019 | 7:22pm

Mayor Bill de Blasio?s Airbnb crackdown in the Big Apple has pushed the battle over short-term rentals across the Hudson River to Jersey City, where voters will decide Nov. 5 whether to regulate them in their neighborhoods.

?I think Jersey City is kind of a proxy for what?s going on in the New York market,? said Sue Altman, the state?s director for the Working Families Party, referring to the flourishing of Airbnb in the New Jersey commuter enclave since de Blasio?s crackdown on it in the five boroughs.

But ?we?re not just going to take things that are regulated out of New York City and take them with open arms ? that?s not what New Jersey is here for,? she said.

In New York City, most short-term rentals are illegal unless the permanent tenant is also living in the apartment. De Blasio has poured $6 million into enforcement of illegal listings during his tenure.

Consequently, there are now 3,000 Airbnb rentals in Jersey City, many of which are marketed to tourists visiting the Big Apple and controlled by commercial operators with multiple listings instead of individual property owners, according to the independent data website Inside Airbnb.

An Airbnb spokeswoman refuted those figures but could not provide alternative information.

The measure on the Jersey City ballot next month will allow residents to vote on regulations that would impose an annual 60-day rental limit for property owners who don?t live on site, require a $500,000 home-insurance policy of them and implement city code inspections every three years.

Liz DeBold Fusco, an Airbnb spokeswoman, said the restrictions would amount to a ban on Airbnb, putting thousands of residents who rent their homes through the system in ?serious financial jeopardy.?

She said the ban was ?crafted at the behest of the hotel industry?s special interests.?

Indeed the politically powerful Hotel Trades Council, a union representing hotel workers who see Airbnb as a direct competitor, plans to spent $1.15 million to ensure the ballot measure passes.

But Airbnb has spent another $4.2 million opposing the referendum.

Staci Berger, president of the nonprofit Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey, said the regulations are necessary to protect affordable rents in Jersey City, since such short-term rentals eat up the overall housing market.

?We support a ?yes? vote on the sensible ballot question because we want to keep apartments affordable for renters while protecting residents? health and safety and preserving the ability of homeowners to rent their homes if they choose,? Berger said.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/29/jersey-c ... -fueled-by-nyc-crackdown/

Posted on: 2019/10/30 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Correcting some of the misinformation from Airbnb; Don?t snooze, vote ?yes? | Letters

Updated 4:26 PM; Today 3:46 PM

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/corr ... ooze-vote-no-letters.html

Vote ?yes? and approve regulations on Airbnb rentals | Letter

Today 10:49 AM

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/vote ... irbnb-rentals-letter.html

Posted on: 2019/10/29 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Quote:
While tossing out the election pamphlets this week, one did catch my eye about Rebecca Symes and The Australians throwing THOUSANDS of JC residents out on the street after stealing their homes

...by paying above market prices in cash?

THOUSANDS?????

On the STREET no less!

Posted on: 2019/10/29 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Quote:
While tossing out the election pamphlets this week, one did catch my eye about Rebecca Symes and The Australians throwing THOUSANDS of JC residents out on the street after stealing their homes

THOUSANDS?????

Posted on: 2019/10/28 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Re: Ad number 4, Sherry G (plus husband). Owner of apparently two family on Sherman Place since 2013 (all public records). This law has no effect on her. She will be able to AIRBNB or RENT her apartment because she lives on the premises. Help her out on the 9K of taxes per year. YES will win !!!!

Posted on: 2019/10/28 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2019/10/28 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Hey caj11

Found it? it was just on the Sunday morning CBS News 8:15 am so I did some more digging.

It is on their website https://www.keepourhomesjc.com/videos

Keep Our Homes Spot #4

Doing a tax look up with her last name the property is located 37-37A SHERMAN PLACE. She is the woman featured in the Keep Our Homes Spot #2 saying her house has been in the family for 3 generations. A nice brick 2 unit house so if she lives there she can short term rent that apartment 365 days a year to cover her taxes. Duh.

The silly thing on the woman in spot #4 is that she has one unit rented out on AirBnB, and she lives on the same property. So, if I understand these proposed regulations correctly, they would have NO effect on her. They only affect people with four or more units at the same property being rented out. She shouldn't care about this at all.

Nothing but a paid spokesperson for AirBnB I guess. I don't even care about this one way or the other - I don't rent out any space on AirBnB, and AirBnB hasn't seemed to affect my neighborhood (I don't see strangers traipsing around with suitcases every Friday and Sunday, as is the common complaint). But if AirBnB is going to disseminate propaganda like this, they should be using people whose situation is truly affected by this, not some glorified sob story that essentially is a lie and can be easily verified with property records. Would make it all more convincing.

Also see this link:

https://jerseycityairbnb.com/the-problem-with-sherry-geoghan/

Not only do these proposed regulations not affect this woman or her property, the rising property taxes that supposedly hurt so many people in the last reval went DOWN for this woman!

Really, AirBnB?

(again, I don't have a problem with the AirBnB concept itself, I just have a problem with lying)

Posted on: 2019/10/28 6:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
\Also says the 5 rooms have push button coded locks gee wouldn?t that make it a hotel?

I have pushbutton locks on my apt and basement doors, does that make my home a hotel?

Posted on: 2019/10/28 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Hey caj11

Found it? it was just on the Sunday morning CBS News 8:15 am so I did some more digging.

Keep Our Homes Spot #4

Doing a tax look up with her last name the property is located 37-37A SHERMAN PLACE. She is the woman featured in the Keep Our Homes Spot #2 saying her house has been in the family for 3 generations. A nice brick 2 unit house so if she lives there she can short term rent that apartment 365 days a year to cover her taxes. Duh.

Thanks, much appreciated. I will check it out.

Posted on: 2019/10/28 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
This is a scary Airbnb ad knowing it is for a 100-year-old wood frame aluminum clad 2 story 2 unit house. It also has a 3rd floor attic space. Does the city check these properties? Or will the new ordinance have a clause for them to be inspected by the fire department? Reading the reviews, it seems there is an attic room with people complaining about going up the old long narrow staircase. Also says the 5 rooms have push button coded locks gee wouldn?t that make it a hotel? This property is up Journal Square at the end of Pavonia Avenue on the right a few houses away for the Square Ramp back entrance.

?Well lit, large private bedroom in a house a 2 minute walk from the Journal Square PATH Train Station. 15 minutes to Manhattan. Nice, quiet area with great restaurants and grocery stores. Beautiful large house newly renovated. Large kitchen with all brand new appliances. All brand new furniture. Huge backyard with patio set & lawn. The house is shared with 5 other airbnb rooms. The house is professionally cleaned daily. There is cable tv and free coffee provided. I am available 24-7. Thanks!?

Posted on: 2019/10/27 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hey caj11

Keep Our Homes Spot #4

Posted on: 2019/10/27 12:29

Edited by neverleft on 2019/10/27 12:44:28
Edited by neverleft on 2019/10/27 12:45:11
Edited by neverleft on 2019/10/27 12:48:22
Edited by neverleft on 2019/10/27 12:49:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

In the middle there was real bad photo of the Mayor and a paragraph about Dixon being the "lead" (whatever that is) in building the summer house in RI.

No idea what the point of it was but it sounds like one of the "JC Good Govt. Committees" is getting pretty desperate about something. Gotta love Hudson County Politics!

Posted on: 2019/10/26 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

I don't suppose we can see that particular story online? I'd sure like to see it but couldn't find anything on the Fox 5 website. Sounds interesting.

Wait is in not news piece it is a fake commercail to make you think it was a news piece. I also looked for it this morning on the internet no luck. I again saw it during the 5 pm edition of Eyewitness News. It is new so I bet it will be on the internet soon.

Posted on: 2019/10/25 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
A new low for the vote NO crew. I was watching Good Day NY this morning when a breaking news like video comes on. It is set up a like local news station piece with a bottom banner. HOL-TV I think. The news caster voice says ?JC is about to ban shot-term rentals?. The red headed woman who is in another commercial that says her family will probably lose their house that has been in the family for generations appears. This time she said she won?t be able to pay her taxes if she is not allowed to rent out an apartment. It ends with the news caster voice saying ?back to you? as the GDNY comes back on. Sad. More deception and funny if the woman wanted to save her property why not rent the apartment out long-term with no worries about finding a short-term daily booking.

PS ? I got my 8th can we count on you to vote NO call from Pennsylvania last night.

I don't suppose we can see that particular story online? I'd sure like to see it but couldn't find anything on the Fox 5 website. Sounds interesting.

Posted on: 2019/10/25 21:26

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017