Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
20 user(s) are online (12 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 20

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: End of AirBnB in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 1:57
Group:
Registered Users
Murphy jumps into Jersey City’s Airbnb fight. Whose side is he on?

Updated 1:44 PM; Today 1:19 PM (10/15/2019)
By Patrick Villanova | The Jersey Journal

The campaign hoping to affirm new regulations on Jersey City’s short-term rental industry scored a key endorsement Tuesday when Gov. Phil Murphy joined the fray.

“I support Jersey City’s Local Ordinance 19-077. Short-term rentals should be regulated,” the New Jersey governor tweeted Tuesday morning, urging Jersey City voters to vote yes on Municipal Question 1 on Nov. 5.

The ordinance, which the City Council passed in June, established new regulations on home-sharing services like Airbnb and VRBO. However, after a successful petition drive backed by Airbnb, the future of the ordinance will be decided by voters in the Nov. 5 referendum.

(more)

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/murp ... -whose-side-is-he-on.html

Posted on: Today 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 1:20
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCBORN wrote:
This isn't the first time the homeowners are being hurt. I don't think the city cares. It's all political. Whoever gets them more votes. Renters vs. Landlords. Obviously, there are more tenants than owners/landlords in JC.

How many people sit on the board working on this ordinance? What percentage of them are landlords? I don't feel they are represented well.

At least the bad airbnb tenants are just short-term. Many landlords are stuck with nightmare tenants who are in the apartment for years.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was at a meeting where a city employee stated they were getting calls from residents about Airbnb guests. They accuse the guests of getting high from pot and acting loud. But isn't that what Fulop wants for JC? Fulop is pushing recreational marijuana. I see both sides but the real issue is - Fulop pushed this Airbnb and now the homeowners who made these investments are being hurt.

There are many threads on Nextdoor.com about this - the board the city convened for the purpose of getting input on the ordinance were disproportionately white, wealthy brownstone owners and a member of the hotel lobby. No renters sat on the board. Literally, a member of the hotel lobby helped to draft this legislation. It's a festering piece of NIMBY garbage.

Posted on: Yesterday 2:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 15:54
From Jersey Cty
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: Yesterday 1:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 0:33
Group:
Registered Users
This isn't the first time the homeowners are being hurt. I don't think the city cares. It's all political. Whoever gets them more votes. Renters vs. Landlords. Obviously, there are more tenants than owners/landlords in JC.

How many people sit on the board working on this ordinance? What percentage of them are landlords? I don't feel they are represented well.

At least the bad airbnb tenants are just short-term. Many landlords are stuck with nightmare tenants who are in the apartment for years.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was at a meeting where a city employee stated they were getting calls from residents about Airbnb guests. They accuse the guests of getting high from pot and acting loud. But isn't that what Fulop wants for JC? Fulop is pushing recreational marijuana. I see both sides but the real issue is - Fulop pushed this Airbnb and now the homeowners who made these investments are being hurt.

Posted on: 10/14 14:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
10/14 14:29
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Readers weigh in on Jersey City referendum on short-term rentals | Opinion

Today 4:00 PM (10/11/2019)

By Letters To The Editor | The Jersey Journal

Editor’s note: When Jersey City voters go to the polls Nov. 5, they’ll be asked a referendum question on whether the city should put into effect (VOTE YES) or overturn (VOTE NO) a new city law that puts restrictions on short-term rentals of properties such as Airbnb. The law, approved in June, allows homeowners who are on-site to share their home 365 days a year and calls for an annual 60-day cap for short-term rentals if the property owner is not on-site. It prohibits short-term rentals in buildings with more than four units and phases out existing short-term rental contracts in those buildings by Jan. 1, 2021. It also prohibits renters from serving as short-term rental hosts.

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2019/10/rea ... term-rentals-opinion.html

It's not clear to me how the first response (Sherry Geoghegan) is burdened by the new regulations passing. It's owner occupied, so not sure what the complaint is since they didn't lay out exactly how they would be adversely affected.

The second pro-AirBnB response from Barbara Camacho is the most compelling. However, I'm inclined to think that paying your taxes and water bills, in addition to registering your residence as an AirBnB *should* be a prerequisite. You're ultimately running a hotel business. But the arguments regarding the invasive nature of disclosing *who* those occupants are to the city are probably the most compelling argument against the new regs.

The third response which was anti-AirBnB was a total joke saying it doesn't go far enough. I don't believe they should be banned but there does need to be more regulation of this activity than what is currently on the books.

Generally, this is one of those issues where a good newspaper would better lay out in plain terms what is actually at stake here. Journalism has suffered the last several decades mostly because journalists have been hijacked by the "both sides" narrative and that has meant that each side gets their say and nobody who is a curious reader will leave with any better understanding of an issue. I realize these are just letters to the editor sort of thing but I've yet to read anything that lays this out plainly.

Posted on: 10/14 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 12:50
Group:
Registered Users
The law, approved in June, allows homeowners who are on-site to share their home 365 days a year and calls for an annual 60-day cap for short-term rentals if the property owner is not on-site. It prohibits short-term rentals in buildings with more than four units and phases out existing short-term rental contracts in those buildings by Jan. 1, 2021. It also prohibits renters from serving as short-term rental hosts.

Homeowners ON SITE can still share their home 365 days a year. I have no problem with that. Those people that need the money to get by still have no issue if they are ON SITE.
I am in a high rise and I do not want 4 apartments on the floor rented to random people all the time. That's my problem. Not to mention the landlord has zero incentive to keep me, and/or keep me and the super awesome rent of $2550 per month.

Posted on: 10/14 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 23:47
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 10/14 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
10/14 0:28
Group:
Registered Users
The quotes in this article are hilarious. Two heartfelt testimonials about how AirBNB saved the family farm, and one short, poorly-worded "AirBNB bad."

Very even-handed sampling, Jersey Journal.

Quote:

neverleft wrote:

Editor’s note: When Jersey City voters go to the polls Nov. 5, they’ll be asked a referendum question on whether the city should put into effect (VOTE YES) or overturn (VOTE NO) a new city law that puts restrictions on short-term rentals of properties such as Airbnb. The law, approved in June, allows homeowners who are on-site to share their home 365 days a year and calls for an annual 60-day cap for short-term rentals if the property owner is not on-site. It prohibits short-term rentals in buildings with more than four units and phases out existing short-term rental contracts in those buildings by Jan. 1, 2021. It also prohibits renters from serving as short-term rental hosts.

Posted on: 10/14 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 10/11 23:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 21:23
Group:
Registered Users
A quick search of Airbnb for a week in November seems to show that significant chunk of listings are in the less gentrified areas of JC where the owners probably could whatever help they can get.

Resized Image

Posted on: 10/11 22:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 0:33
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to see landlords make a little extra money.
If someone has a 5 unit building they should profit just like the one with a 4 unit building. With the tax increases and rent control laws there isn't much left for the owner.
Perhaps the ordinance can allow no more than 1 airbnb or short-term rental unit per building rather than block it completely.

I also don't think because there was vomit on 1st street we shouldn't have airbrb. If the vomit was on newark ave they will not shut down the business that served the drinks. Perhaps we can go back to having dollars stores on the avenue?

This reminds me of the lunch truck debate. Should they be allowed to serve next to brick and mortar stores who pay high taxes or high rent. I'm ok with having both.

Posted on: 10/11 19:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
10/14 14:29
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It's pretty tough to find good rundowns on this issue. On the one hand, the mailers from the pro-AirBnB side are pure trash and not very convincing. On the other side, the anti-AirBnB side says they are responsible for rent increases, etc. Not very convincing.

I've used AirBnB quite a bit. They are sort of like a less specious Uber in a way. They are obviously undercutting the hotel business and, surprise, that's who's funding the Fulop side of this. On the other hand, some of these AirBnB places are going for rock bottom prices - not so much undercutting the market but totally changing the market entirely.

I'm not convinced they are responsible for rent increases. Rents have increased steadily long before these tech startups like Uber and AirBnB have changed entire markets.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that community matters and lean more toward a YIMBY than NIMBY. That said, the actual regulations seem sensible to me. I'm a little suspicious of this whole issue simply because the money involved on both sides of this campaign seems extreme for what's at stake.

My gut says to vote with Fulop on this one simply because these tech startups / giants need to pay their way and play by some rules as well. There's no way these new regs put them out of business. If you own your house and it's not beyond 4 units, nothing much changes from what I've read. If you have more than 4 units, well just rent it out like everyone else. Renters typically have sublet restrictions and these regs just write them into law sensibly, IMO.

If AirBnB is willing to spend this much money on this campaign, it's got to be hitting their wallets and I'm okay with that. Frankly, many of the places I've stayed at via AirBnB over the years were crazy cheap compared to market rates. I like a deal as much as the next person but it's almost like they're deliberately low to increase their market share over time, same as Uber. That can't last forever.

Posted on: 10/11 0:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 21:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

My count as of 10/10/2019 6 vote NO with the "Municipal Question 1 is a BAN" line and 1 vote YES.

I will be voting YES not only because of the many misleading mailers but also because of stories like this:

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
There was a sizeable blast of vomit on and in front of the stoop of the Air BNB hotel at 222 First Street. Since the owner lives in the Hamptons, and there's no housekeeping on Sunday, the neighbors got to walk around this treat for the entire weekend.

Good times.

For every story like this there was probably twenty others where there was no vomit, where local Jersey Airbnb host was able to earn a nice little sum and where Airbnb renters were decent people that didn't cause any issues.
I personally have used Airbnb for all my trips to Honolulu the last few years hand have always managed to get a very clean ,freshly renovated place with parking for 30% less than what a compareable hotel would cost. I am sure Airbnb renters in Jersey city are also able to save some money while allowing the owner to earn a little money.
I am going to be voting no even though this doesn't directly impact me. My condo doesn't allow Airbnb. The way I see it, property owners in JC have been hard twice last year, first with the reval , then with the capping of the the SALT at $10,000. Now the city seems to want to make it harder to earn a little extra from their property.

Posted on: 10/10 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
I received my 4th mailer today, 3 total to vote no, 1 to vote yes. Therefore at this point I am voting... yes. #NotFullyBrainWashedYet

My count as of 10/10/2019 6 vote NO with the "Municipal Question 1 is a BAN" line and 1 vote YES.

I will be voting YES not only because of the many misleading mailers but also because of stories like this:

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
There was a sizeable blast of vomit on and in front of the stoop of the Air BNB hotel at 222 First Street. Since the owner lives in the Hamptons, and there's no housekeeping on Sunday, the neighbors got to walk around this treat for the entire weekend.

Good times.

Posted on: 10/10 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City’s police and fire unions endorse effort to preserve Airbnb regulations

Updated 3:00 PM; Today 2:51 PM (10/9/2019)
By Joshua Rosario | The Jersey Journal

A trio of police and fire unions are joining the fight over the future of the short-term rental industry in Jersey City, endorsing a campaign to preserve new regulations on Airbnb and companies like it.

Mayor Steve Fulop will announce Thursday morning the Jersey City Fire Officers Association, the Uniformed Fire Fighters Association of Jersey City, and the Jersey City Police Superior Officers Association are endorsing the effort to vote yes on Municipal Question 1 next month.

more

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/jers ... e-airbnb-regulations.html

Posted on: 10/9 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 0:43
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I received my 4th mailer today, 3 total to vote no, 1 to vote yes. Therefore at this point I am voting... yes. #NotFullyBrainWashedYet

Posted on: 10/8 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Good times.

Posted on: 10/7 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
City warns Airbnb group to stop posting campaign literature on public property

Updated 5:08 PM; Today 3:48 PM (10/4/2019)
By Joshua Rosario | The Jersey Journal

Jersey City’s Quality of Life Task Force is warning the group that wants to overturn the city’s short-term rental regulations to stop posting campaign literature on public property – or face fines.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/city ... e-on-public-property.html

Posted on: 10/5 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
A number of people are confused by the flyers on the Airbnb. The wording on the ballot is confusing. A no vote is what the signatures were about, it is a removal of the city council ordinance. A yes vote, is to keep the city council ordinance. It is a shame the wording is confusing to voters. I am not an Airbnb renter and have no dog in the fight but I do not like the confusion for voters.

100% agree. Intuitively you would read it as "NO" means ban Air BNB and "Yes" means keep Air BnB, not the other way around. This will be very interesting.

Posted on: 10/4 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 23:47
Group:
Registered Users
A number of people are confused by the flyers on the Airbnb. The wording on the ballot is confusing. A no vote is what the signatures were about, it is a removal of the city council ordinance. A yes vote, is to keep the city council ordinance. It is a shame the wording is confusing to voters. I am not an Airbnb renter and have no dog in the fight but I do not like the confusion for voters.

Posted on: 10/3 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
And VVP being elaborately and expensively renovated without including a playground. Good times.

Wow... never knew that happened (I don't use VVP since i am not in the downtown). The playgrounds are one reason I like living in J.C. My kid has 'his gang' that he meets daily at the playground on Ogden ave (Pershing Field gets a bit insane with the crowds). Having playmates at that young of an age was something I missed out on (Gen X baby bust in the burbs... no kids in my neighborhood... or playgrounds).

I take it the VVP planners didn't have kids...

I don't know all the details, but yeah, people who wanted a fancy garden had control, till at some point it all came out, and they had to retrofit in the 2 play areas. There were people in HP who would have gotten rid of the playground and ball courts in the reno if they'd had their way.

OK that I do see. The NA's seem to have a lot of control over what goes into those parks. I think they are getting rid of the skate park in Enos Jones where I see tons of kids every single day. Also, the basketball courts are in constant use, so maybe they should consider more of those? I know there are quite a few people who would like a cricket pitch (whatever that is), and of course more play space for the kids. The upside is the demographics of the city are changing and hopefully so are demographics of the NA's. Does the city not have anything to say about what goes into the parks, or are they just glad to offload the responsibility?

Posted on: 10/3 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
10/11 12:30
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I do feel like homeowners who are living on the property and want to rent out a room or a basement, have a vested interest in the place, given they live there. That is different and I get their problem with the ban.

Homeowners living on the property are not constrained from renting out a room or a basement.

Posted on: 10/3 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
10/11 20:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:

Last, I hate to be a drama queen but that amusing guy could've just as easily been an OD because nobody has any idea who they are renting to.

That was long before AirBnB. I called JC police and they had a ambulance come and pick him up.

Posted on: 10/3 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:

You know what else is lost? Party goers coming and going at all hours of the night. The feeling of insecurity you have when strangers are constantly in your building. Having to become the de facto concierge for out of towners. There is a true quality of life issue here.

I don't have a dog in this fight (I don't do AirBnB). My main concern is the creeping micro-management of property owners by the city. I am a cynic who believes politicians are on the whole, bought and paid for. I don't think for a minute "quality of life" was the motivating factor. The city was fine getting millions from AirBnB until someone I suspect from some lobbying group offered $$$ in campaign contributions (or other forms of compensation) to do a 180 and get rid of AirBnB.

So far my only bad run in was a AirBnB guest who blocked the garage I rent, when I needed to take my kid to the emergency room. Other than that, the AirBnB critters are well behaved.

My 'bad experiences' were mostly neighbors (before the neighborhood gentrified) strung out on booze, drugs, etc. creating all sorts of issues. Thankfully most of the bad actors are gone now.*

*One humorous incident when some guy high on who knows what was on all fours, barking at my bushes like a dog. He subsequently passed out on the sidewalk in the pouring rain.

A huge part of this is the Air BnB is in the high rises too. It's very unsettling to have complete strangers coming and going who treat the apartment as a one night stand and anything goes. I lived next door to a guy who was ahead of his time, he rented his apartment out nightly on Craig's List years ago.
I do feel like homeowners who are living on the property and want to rent out a room or a basement, have a vested interest in the place, given they live there. That is different and I get their problem with the ban.
Point is there are real and valid issues despite the fact that there are evidently hotel lobbies involved.
Most people are capable of thinking for themselves, and already have strong feelings that I don't think a direct mailer is going to change. Let the vote, whatever the outcome, prevail.

Last, I hate to be a drama queen but that amusing guy could've just as easily been an OD because nobody has any idea who they are renting to.

Posted on: 10/3 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 1:20
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

I don't have a dog in this fight (I don't do AirBnB). My main concern is the creeping micro-management of property owners by the city. I am a cynic who believes politicians are on the whole, bought and paid for. I don't think for a minute "quality of life" was the motivating factor. The city was fine getting millions from AirBnB until someone I suspect from some lobbying group offered $$$ in campaign contributions (or other forms of compensation) to do a 180 and get rid of AirBnB.

I suspect this is what happened as well. A bunch of well heeled NIMBYs complained to James Solomon initially. Once the hotel unions smelled blood in the water, I bet they swooped in with campaign contributions. Hell, I bet the mayor, as well as James, who scraped by his own election by only 150 or so votes, got promised a nice get out the vote machine in exchange for eliminating their biggest source of competition.

When you run on a vague platform of anti-development and NIMBYism, this was a no brainer. You get to look like you're doing *something* and you get to curry favor from a traditional Democratic constituency (unions) for future runs. Wouldn't surprise me if he's already laying the groundwork for his own mayoral run. All this dude has done is slap restriction after restriction and fees on homeowners and businesses since he took office. He seems to listen exclusively to the NAs and has no understanding of economics or collateral damage these sorts of policies cause.

I hope to god the No vote wins on this. I suspect it may as the original recall petition got something like 8,000 signatures and it results in a huge loss of political capital for this moron.

Posted on: 10/3 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 1:56
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
And VVP being elaborately and expensively renovated without including a playground. Good times.

Wow... never knew that happened (I don't use VVP since i am not in the downtown). The playgrounds are one reason I like living in J.C. My kid has 'his gang' that he meets daily at the playground on Ogden ave (Pershing Field gets a bit insane with the crowds). Having playmates at that young of an age was something I missed out on (Gen X baby bust in the burbs... no kids in my neighborhood... or playgrounds).

I don't know all the details, but yeah, people who wanted a fancy garden had control, till at some point it all came out, and they had to retrofit in the 2 play areas. There were people in HP who would have gotten rid of the playground and ball courts in the reno if they'd had their way.

Posted on: 10/2 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 10/2 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 1:56
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
My 'bad experiences' were mostly neighbors (before the neighborhood gentrified) strung out on booze, drugs, etc. creating all sorts of issues. Thankfully most of the bad actors are gone now.*

And at least any bad AB&B visitor will be gone soon, unlike my neighbors with the dogs that bark all fucking day long.

Posted on: 10/2 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:

You know what else is lost? Party goers coming and going at all hours of the night. The feeling of insecurity you have when strangers are constantly in your building. Having to become the de facto concierge for out of towners. There is a true quality of life issue here.

So far my only bad run in was a AirBnB guest who blocked the garage I rent, when I needed to take my kid to the emergency room. Other than that, the AirBnB critters are well behaved.

*One humorous incident when some guy high on who knows what was on all fours, barking at my bushes like a dog. He subsequently passed out on the sidewalk in the pouring rain.

Posted on: 10/2 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
The sad thing is that with AirBnB regulated out of existence, rents won't be reduced by much, if at all. As long as multi-family buildings are torn down and replaced with Bayonne boxes, the rent market will continue to face shortages (at least until the next recession).

What will be lost is the revenue paid to the city by AirBnB. Wasn't it around $9mil a year?

I will not be sad to lose the hotel on our block, in the lot zoned for a proper apartment building.

Posted on: 10/2 19:18

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017