Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: End of AirBnB in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
A number of people are confused by the flyers on the Airbnb. The wording on the ballot is confusing. A no vote is what the signatures were about, it is a removal of the city council ordinance. A yes vote, is to keep the city council ordinance. It is a shame the wording is confusing to voters. I am not an Airbnb renter and have no dog in the fight but I do not like the confusion for voters.

100% agree. Intuitively you would read it as "NO" means ban Air BNB and "Yes" means keep Air BnB, not the other way around. This will be very interesting.

Posted on: 2019/10/4 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
A number of people are confused by the flyers on the Airbnb. The wording on the ballot is confusing. A no vote is what the signatures were about, it is a removal of the city council ordinance. A yes vote, is to keep the city council ordinance. It is a shame the wording is confusing to voters. I am not an Airbnb renter and have no dog in the fight but I do not like the confusion for voters.

Posted on: 2019/10/3 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
And VVP being elaborately and expensively renovated without including a playground. Good times.

Wow... never knew that happened (I don't use VVP since i am not in the downtown). The playgrounds are one reason I like living in J.C. My kid has 'his gang' that he meets daily at the playground on Ogden ave (Pershing Field gets a bit insane with the crowds). Having playmates at that young of an age was something I missed out on (Gen X baby bust in the burbs... no kids in my neighborhood... or playgrounds).

I take it the VVP planners didn't have kids...

I don't know all the details, but yeah, people who wanted a fancy garden had control, till at some point it all came out, and they had to retrofit in the 2 play areas. There were people in HP who would have gotten rid of the playground and ball courts in the reno if they'd had their way.

OK that I do see. The NA's seem to have a lot of control over what goes into those parks. I think they are getting rid of the skate park in Enos Jones where I see tons of kids every single day. Also, the basketball courts are in constant use, so maybe they should consider more of those? I know there are quite a few people who would like a cricket pitch (whatever that is), and of course more play space for the kids. The upside is the demographics of the city are changing and hopefully so are demographics of the NA's. Does the city not have anything to say about what goes into the parks, or are they just glad to offload the responsibility?

Posted on: 2019/10/3 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I do feel like homeowners who are living on the property and want to rent out a room or a basement, have a vested interest in the place, given they live there. That is different and I get their problem with the ban.

Homeowners living on the property are not constrained from renting out a room or a basement.

Posted on: 2019/10/3 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:

Last, I hate to be a drama queen but that amusing guy could've just as easily been an OD because nobody has any idea who they are renting to.

That was long before AirBnB. I called JC police and they had a ambulance come and pick him up.

Posted on: 2019/10/3 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:

You know what else is lost? Party goers coming and going at all hours of the night. The feeling of insecurity you have when strangers are constantly in your building. Having to become the de facto concierge for out of towners. There is a true quality of life issue here.

I don't have a dog in this fight (I don't do AirBnB). My main concern is the creeping micro-management of property owners by the city. I am a cynic who believes politicians are on the whole, bought and paid for. I don't think for a minute "quality of life" was the motivating factor. The city was fine getting millions from AirBnB until someone I suspect from some lobbying group offered $$$ in campaign contributions (or other forms of compensation) to do a 180 and get rid of AirBnB.

So far my only bad run in was a AirBnB guest who blocked the garage I rent, when I needed to take my kid to the emergency room. Other than that, the AirBnB critters are well behaved.

My 'bad experiences' were mostly neighbors (before the neighborhood gentrified) strung out on booze, drugs, etc. creating all sorts of issues. Thankfully most of the bad actors are gone now.*

*One humorous incident when some guy high on who knows what was on all fours, barking at my bushes like a dog. He subsequently passed out on the sidewalk in the pouring rain.

A huge part of this is the Air BnB is in the high rises too. It's very unsettling to have complete strangers coming and going who treat the apartment as a one night stand and anything goes. I lived next door to a guy who was ahead of his time, he rented his apartment out nightly on Craig's List years ago.
I do feel like homeowners who are living on the property and want to rent out a room or a basement, have a vested interest in the place, given they live there. That is different and I get their problem with the ban.
Point is there are real and valid issues despite the fact that there are evidently hotel lobbies involved.
Most people are capable of thinking for themselves, and already have strong feelings that I don't think a direct mailer is going to change. Let the vote, whatever the outcome, prevail.

Last, I hate to be a drama queen but that amusing guy could've just as easily been an OD because nobody has any idea who they are renting to.

Posted on: 2019/10/3 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:

I don't have a dog in this fight (I don't do AirBnB). My main concern is the creeping micro-management of property owners by the city. I am a cynic who believes politicians are on the whole, bought and paid for. I don't think for a minute "quality of life" was the motivating factor. The city was fine getting millions from AirBnB until someone I suspect from some lobbying group offered $$$ in campaign contributions (or other forms of compensation) to do a 180 and get rid of AirBnB.

I suspect this is what happened as well. A bunch of well heeled NIMBYs complained to James Solomon initially. Once the hotel unions smelled blood in the water, I bet they swooped in with campaign contributions. Hell, I bet the mayor, as well as James, who scraped by his own election by only 150 or so votes, got promised a nice get out the vote machine in exchange for eliminating their biggest source of competition.

When you run on a vague platform of anti-development and NIMBYism, this was a no brainer. You get to look like you're doing *something* and you get to curry favor from a traditional Democratic constituency (unions) for future runs. Wouldn't surprise me if he's already laying the groundwork for his own mayoral run. All this dude has done is slap restriction after restriction and fees on homeowners and businesses since he took office. He seems to listen exclusively to the NAs and has no understanding of economics or collateral damage these sorts of policies cause.

I hope to god the No vote wins on this. I suspect it may as the original recall petition got something like 8,000 signatures and it results in a huge loss of political capital for this moron.

Posted on: 2019/10/3 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
And VVP being elaborately and expensively renovated without including a playground. Good times.

Wow... never knew that happened (I don't use VVP since i am not in the downtown). The playgrounds are one reason I like living in J.C. My kid has 'his gang' that he meets daily at the playground on Ogden ave (Pershing Field gets a bit insane with the crowds). Having playmates at that young of an age was something I missed out on (Gen X baby bust in the burbs... no kids in my neighborhood... or playgrounds).

I don't know all the details, but yeah, people who wanted a fancy garden had control, till at some point it all came out, and they had to retrofit in the 2 play areas. There were people in HP who would have gotten rid of the playground and ball courts in the reno if they'd had their way.

Posted on: 2019/10/2 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2019/10/2 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
My 'bad experiences' were mostly neighbors (before the neighborhood gentrified) strung out on booze, drugs, etc. creating all sorts of issues. Thankfully most of the bad actors are gone now.*

And at least any bad AB&B visitor will be gone soon, unlike my neighbors with the dogs that bark all fucking day long.

Posted on: 2019/10/2 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:

You know what else is lost? Party goers coming and going at all hours of the night. The feeling of insecurity you have when strangers are constantly in your building. Having to become the de facto concierge for out of towners. There is a true quality of life issue here.

So far my only bad run in was a AirBnB guest who blocked the garage I rent, when I needed to take my kid to the emergency room. Other than that, the AirBnB critters are well behaved.

*One humorous incident when some guy high on who knows what was on all fours, barking at my bushes like a dog. He subsequently passed out on the sidewalk in the pouring rain.

Posted on: 2019/10/2 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
The sad thing is that with AirBnB regulated out of existence, rents won't be reduced by much, if at all. As long as multi-family buildings are torn down and replaced with Bayonne boxes, the rent market will continue to face shortages (at least until the next recession).

What will be lost is the revenue paid to the city by AirBnB. Wasn't it around $9mil a year?

I will not be sad to lose the hotel on our block, in the lot zoned for a proper apartment building.

Posted on: 2019/10/2 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Also, how have the neighborhood associations hurt you? You seem to be obsessed with them. In my experience (12 years in HP) they haven't shown themselves to be all that powerful.

You missed the heyday of HPNA being run by dog owners and keeping anyone from restricting dogs running free all over the park. And VVP being elaborately and expensively renovated without including a playground. Good times.

Posted on: 2019/10/2 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
they?re not taking up peoples precious parking, they?re either using ride share or public transit.

One of the best laughs I had last summer was during a block stoop sale, watching an Airbnber trying to parallel park a compact in a space big enough for a minivan and a half. There were four of us watching effort after effort. I turned to one and said "she gets one more chance, and then I'm taking the keys and parking it myself." Then her travel companion got out and started directing.

Thanks for reminding me of that hilarious 15 minutes.

Posted on: 2019/10/2 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
The sad thing is that with AirBnB regulated out of existence, rents won't be reduced by much, if at all. As long as multi-family buildings are torn down and replaced with Bayonne boxes, the rent market will continue to face shortages (at least until the next recession).

What will be lost is the revenue paid to the city by AirBnB. Wasn't it around $9mil a year?

What nonsense. Any of the issues complained about here can also occur with long term tenants and owners. Future, Airbnb tourists aren?t putting kids into the school system and draining resources and they?re not taking up peoples precious parking, they?re either using ride share or public transit.

Let?s also not forget that this entire initiative was started by wealthy VVPA NIMBYs that didn?t like seeing people with roller suitcases on their block and feel they should restrict property rights for the entire city based on one incident.

The party goers and concierge issues are all over the place, just ask around.
The air bnb's in the larger buildings mixed in with the long term renters are a huge problem, which you apparently can't imagine, and I personally know people who have moved because of this.
At least with long term renters you can try to mitigate the problem with the landlord. With the air bnb-ers that really isn't possible.
Also, how have the neighborhood associations hurt you? You seem to be obsessed with them. In my experience (12 years in HP) they haven't shown themselves to be all that powerful.

Posted on: 2019/10/2 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:

What nonsense. Any of the issues complained about here can also occur with long term tenants and owners. Future, Airbnb tourists aren?t putting kids into the school system and draining resources and they?re not taking up peoples precious parking, they?re either using ride share or public transit.

Let?s also not forget that this entire initiative was started by wealthy VVPA NIMBYs that didn?t like seeing people with roller suitcases on their block and feel they should restrict property rights for the entire city based on one incident.

Posted on: 2019/10/2 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2019/10/2 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Why is it people think 'supply & demand' doesn't apply to real estate? But to be fair, a lot of the teardowns are single or 2U on double lots. But they should be putting up 20 units on a 50x100 lot, not 4. But wait, 'muh parking' and 'don't change muh hood, except for the nice new services'.

Posted on: 2019/10/2 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/10/2 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
"The commercial was paid for by Share Better Education Fund, a group associated with the New York Hotel Trade Council"

Robin.

Posted on: 2019/10/2 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Supporters of Jersey City?s Airbnb ordinance fire back in 30-second TV ad

Updated 6:13 PM; Today 5:26 PM (10/1/2019)
By Joshua Rosario | The Jersey Journal

An anti-Airbnb television ad has hit the airwaves, urging voters to approve a public question and affirm new regulations on the short-term rental industry in Jersey City.

The 30-second commercial tells Jersey City residents to consider what it presents as the negative impact that Airbnb has had in New York City as an example of what is to come if the company goes unchecked in Jersey City.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/supp ... k-in-30-second-tv-ad.html

Posted on: 2019/10/2 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The guy I rent a garage from just put his property, that he recently bought.

I wanted to buy the place, but the asking price was too high.. no way to have positive cash flow on rents. Plus, the place needs work / updating... at least $150k of work.

The guy didn't get the rents he thought he was going to get.. on the order of $1,000 less per apartment. So he went AirBnB on the place to get the revenue he needed. With AirBnB no longer workable.. he doesn't make the $$$.

He is asking seven figures for place.. double what he paid for it. If he gets it... all the power to him.. I will take it as proof the real estate market has gone completely insane.

Posted on: 2019/9/14 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have nothing to do with Airbnb nor did I run for city council on this subject. As I said before, there is something seriously wrong with you, Nick.

Posted on: 2019/8/16 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Airbnb are running commercials on cable tv, so this fight is not over.

The city council candidate you yourself pushed because of his empty platitudes on abatements and development is responsible for this terrible ordinance.

Posted on: 2019/8/15 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Airbnb are running commercials on cable tv, so this fight is not over.

Posted on: 2019/8/14 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Council votes down repeal of Airbnb regulations

Updated 5:38 PM; Today 5:33 PM (8/14/2019)

The Jersey City Council doesn?t appear to be budging on its support of new short-term rental regulations.

The council Wednesday voted down the introduction of an ordinance to repeal a controversial measure it adopted in June that creates new rules governing short-term rental services like Airbnb. The council voted 7-1 against repealing its June ordinance, despite a petition drive seeking the reversal of the law.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/08/jers ... f-airbnb-regulations.html

Posted on: 2019/8/14 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
My neighbor is an nuisance AirBnB, I've been living trouble-free in my home on 9th St. since 1997 until next door's property was bought by Dixon and became an AirBnB. I've since incorrectly received two $115 summons for garbage out on the streets they placed close to my mailbox. I've had to take time off to contest the summons (1st one was dismissed, 2nd in July 9). The property manager promised me 8 weeks ago they will compensate me for the ticket, but have not done anything except make empty promises. These people are bad neighbors and should not be allowed to operate.

I don't have anything against AirBnB in general, I use the service myself when I travel with family, but this particular operator is inconsiderate, insincere and patronizing. They've gotten away with taking 3 hours of my time, $115 in fines, not to mention the aggravation. And I have no recourse? I say get rid of all of them.

Posted on: 2019/7/19 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Short-term renters submit over 20,000 signatures in effort to repeal new regulations in Jersey City

Posted Jul 18, 6:22 PM

Short-term renters are one step closer to getting their referendum on the general election ballot in November.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/07/shor ... tions-in-jersey-city.html

Posted on: 2019/7/19 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Council to hold special meeting on Airbnb regulations

Updated 3:43 PM; Today 3:35 PM (6/11/2019)
By Jordan Wolman | The Jersey Journal

The future of Jersey City?s short-term rental industry won?t be voted on at this week?s City Council meeting, and instead will be the subject of a special meeting.

Five hours into Monday night?s council caucus, the city?s governing body decided it needs a special meeting to vote on two competing ordinances regulating Airbnb and other short-term rentals at a special meeting.

The time and date of the special meeting will be announced Wednesday.

(more)

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/06/jers ... n-airbnb-regulations.html

Posted on: 2019/6/11 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
The issue is that if you are living in a building where lots of units are Air Bnb then they need to let you know up front so you can decide if you want to live with that.
If you have a building that's completely AirBnb then it needs to have signage indicating that so once again, people can decide if they want to live there.
I wouldn't live in a building with strangers constantly coming in and out, and neither would a lot of other people.
Second, how do people not see what this does to the housing market? Not to mention neighborhoods.
There is a big difference between people renting their house here and there or even a room, particularly if it's owner occupied.

But, again, this measure is overly aggressive in trying to solve this problem. If I want to spend the Summer away and rent out my unit to a friend, or even a stranger, for the month or two I will be away, I would not be allowed to do so legally, even if I had the consent of my landlord, as I live in a building with 5+ units. Where's the harm in that scenario?

When I sign a lease I'm making a commitment. I just want the landlord to do the same and keep rando's out of the building. If you want to run a hotel, run a hotel. This isn't about the one off renting your apartment for the summer, which in my opinion shouldn't be allowed either. This is about a cash grab, pure and simple.

Posted on: 2019/6/11 18:43

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017