Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Skunks out of control in Lafayette!!! City Sides with Skunks!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/8 2:02
Group:
Registered Users
definitely off topic:
https://www.wtsp.com/article/life/anim ... 6d-4edf-af26-f0d9d4d28d99

Quote:

caj11 wrote:
This is off on a tangent but related, since we're talking about wild animals... Did anyone ever hear raccoons mating in their back yard, or somewhere outside their home?

I did once, a few summers ago I think, in the middle of the night, it was so loud and intense it woke me up, since my bedroom faces my backyard, on the ground level and I can't say for sure the raccoons were actually mating but it sure looked and sounded like it as it had been described before. Let me tell you, it was one of those things so unique it stays permanently etched in your mind. Sounded like cats fighting, only 100 times louder with screams 100 times more intense. When they finished their business, both were covered in blood and then just wandered away. Not quite the way humans mate. I think it woke up some people in the surrounding homes too because I saw a few other lights on that night.

You just don't see stuff like this on the National Geographic Channel, or Nova. Mother Nature at her finest.

Posted on: 2019/9/15 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
10 raccoons test positive for rabies in N.J. town. Cops had to shoot 1 after it charged at man walking his dog.

Today 11:16 AM (9/13/2019)
By Jeff Goldman | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Health officials in a Morris County town are warning residents after 10 rabid raccoons have been captured and two other clearly sick raccoons have had to be euthanized in recent weeks, officials said.

The raccoons have been spotted during the day in Denville throughout the 12-square mile township and are not just confined to one area, animal control officer Meredith Petrillo said Friday.

https://www.nj.com/morris/2019/09/10-r ... -man-walking-his-dog.html

Posted on: 2019/9/13 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
once when driving through the heights one night, i saw a mama skunk and her kits walking across the street. i was surprised that there were skunks in the heights; i know they were all over downtown.

Posted on: 2019/9/12 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
This is off on a tangent but related, since we're talking about wild animals...

I have seen wild turkeys running around the grass around the Lackawanna warehouse. I've run into groups of them hiking around Vermont.... they can be a bit aggressive...

Wonder if something like video below will happen here in J.C. sometime in the future:

Posted on: 2019/9/12 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
This is off on a tangent but related, since we're talking about wild animals... Did anyone ever hear raccoons mating in their back yard, or somewhere outside their home?

I did once, a few summers ago I think, in the middle of the night, it was so loud and intense it woke me up, since my bedroom faces my backyard, on the ground level and I can't say for sure the raccoons were actually mating but it sure looked and sounded like it as it had been described before. Let me tell you, it was one of those things so unique it stays permanently etched in your mind. Sounded like cats fighting, only 100 times louder with screams 100 times more intense. When they finished their business, both were covered in blood and then just wandered away. Not quite the way humans mate. I think it woke up some people in the surrounding homes too because I saw a few other lights on that night.

You just don't see stuff like this on the National Geographic Channel, or Nova. Mother Nature at her finest.

Posted on: 2019/9/12 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Actually, yes, that is within their mission. But it seems like their primary job is being non-responsive so as to make whatever it is the citizens problem. They will not even return a call. Even the nice workers at LHS admit as much. Lord help you if instead of calling them 10 times till they send someone with a trap you rescue a cat yourself but are unable to keep it. You might as well put it out on the street again, even the cat rescues won't take it. Ask me how I know, the kitten is making our elderly cat miserable.

Couple things: If you bring the kitten directly to LHS, they will take it. Or PM me, and I'll try to hook you up with a local rescue. We are lousy with kittens over here...so what's one more?

Not true, we have fostered over 3 dozen kittens for LHS and they still refused, told us to call AC, who never followed up. Jersey Cats also refused to take her. At this point we've had her for 2 months and I guess she's staying, but we felt forced into it by the lack of support and will be very reluctant to be proactive and rescue a cat ourselves if we don't want to keep it.

Posted on: 2019/9/12 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I really hope that last post is a joke. But, if it isn't... why would anyone think/assume/believe that Animal Control can and should locate, trap, and dispose of random wildlife making its way into private property?

[sarcasm]
Ill be sure to call Animal Control the next time a bird flies into my place!
[/sarcasm]

Actually, yes, that is within their mission. But it seems like their primary job is being non-responsive so as to make whatever it is the citizens problem. They will not even return a call. Even the nice workers at LHS admit as much. Lord help you if instead of calling them 10 times till they send someone with a trap you rescue a cat yourself but are unable to keep it. You might as well put it out on the street again, even the cat rescues won't take it. Ask me how I know, the kitten is making our elderly cat miserable.

http://www.libertyhumane.org/animal_response_team
Quote:

The Animal Response Team serves Jersey City, Hoboken and Bayonne. If you live outside of these areas you need to contact your municipal Health Department or Police Department for assistance in reaching your animal services provider.

Contact the Animal Response Team Anytime If:

-You have found an injured or sick stray animal (this includes wildlife)

-You have found and confined a stray domestic animal

-You are witnessing possible animal cruelty or neglect

-There is a stray animal who appears to be dangerous

-There is a wild animal in your living space that cannot escape

*that cannot escape*

The OP stated that they couldn?t even locate the animal themselves, or even identify it.

Going by a strict reading of the highlighted item, if wildlife makes its way to your home, Animal Control is only required to assist IF the animal is unable to make its way out. A wild animal that meanders into your home and has left (or, could leave) will not warrant a visit by AC personnel.

Posted on: 2019/9/12 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking of skunks...

While putting the trash cans on the curb last night, I found myself about six feet away from one. First time I have actually seen one in the Heights.

He looked well fed....

Posted on: 2019/9/12 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Couple things: If you bring the kitten directly to LHS, they will take it. Or PM me, and I'll try to hook you up with a local rescue. We are lousy with kittens over here...so what's one more?

Posted on: 2019/9/12 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I really hope that last post is a joke. But, if it isn't... why would anyone think/assume/believe that Animal Control can and should locate, trap, and dispose of random wildlife making its way into private property?

[sarcasm]
[/sarcasm]

http://www.libertyhumane.org/animal_response_team
Quote:

The Animal Response Team serves Jersey City, Hoboken and Bayonne. If you live outside of these areas you need to contact your municipal Health Department or Police Department for assistance in reaching your animal services provider.

Contact the Animal Response Team Anytime If:

-You have found an injured or sick stray animal (this includes wildlife)

-You have found and confined a stray domestic animal

-You are witnessing possible animal cruelty or neglect

-There is a stray animal who appears to be dangerous

-There is a wild animal in your living space that cannot escape

Posted on: 2019/9/11 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

[sarcasm]
[/sarcasm]

Posted on: 2019/9/11 17:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/4/13 1:15
Group:
Registered Users
Re: Animal Control

I recently called Animal Control and asked them to come to my home. An animal had gotten into our house (there was scat and prints but no sighting). They refused to come out because I didn't know what type of animal it was or where it was in our house. Really? I was speaking with a woman named Brittany. Unsatisfied with her response, I asked to speak with a manager and she informed me she was the manager.

One last time, I asked her to please send someone to my home. She told me I needed to hire a contractor to find out where the hole were in my house! Yikes!

Who is in charge/responsible for Animal Control? I was being bounced from 'Jersey City Animal Control' to LHS and back ... and in my case, without any service or help. This needs to change.

Posted on: 2019/9/11 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Is that personal to me? If so, why and isn't that broad minded and neighborly? Or is it a general mythantropy and part of the anti human movement?

Posted on: 2019/9/11 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
We had already had a raccoon problem. Raccoons enter homes and cause havoc. We also have a possum problem.

What we really have is a people problem.

Fixed it for you.

Posted on: 2019/9/10 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
haha. But you mean plus one to the skunks.

Posted on: 2019/9/10 16:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/12 16:50
Group:
Registered Users
+1 to the City!

Posted on: 2019/9/10 16:41

Skunks out of control in Lafayette!!! City Sides with Skunks!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I had noticed over the summer that the skunk population of the Lafayette neighborhood has gotten out of control. I see them in the evening walking up and down Lafayette Street and Halladay, going up and down people's steps. I also see them around the gazebo in the park. Multiples at the same time!
This all became very personal when my wife and dog got skunked this morning in our backyard.
I called City Hall this morning and asked for Animal Control. A nice woman answered. Her name is Brittany. I told her what I was calling about and she said, ?Yes, we are aware of it. There have been many calls.?
?Great!?? I though, there must be a plan. So I asked to be updated on what the City has been doing. The answer: ?Nothing.? I was incredulous. Then I got a gentle lecture. I was told that skunks are wildlife and they have a right to live. I was further told that the Animal Control ?does not trap healthy wildlife.? It was further explained that Jersey City?s animal control is humane
I was incredulous and exploded. This is insane. We are a densely populated city. These animals have no predators and will get at of control. Skunks are particularly good at being vectors for rabies. https://www.nj.com/middlesex/2019/05/r ... sex-county-this-year.html
We had already had a raccoon problem. Raccoons enter homes and cause havoc. We also have a possum problem.
Where will this lead?
I asked the humane young lady about rats. They are wildlife. What happens to them. She said, ?Pest Control handles them. So I called City Hall and asked for Pest Control. I got directed right back to the nice humane lady. I explained and apologized.
I called City Hall back and explained that there is supposed to be another office that handles the eradication of rats even though they are wild life and it is not Animal Control but might be Pest Control. I was transferred again to a voice mail of a guy who did not identify himself or the office.

Posted on: 2019/9/10 15:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017