Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
22 user(s) are online (9 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 22

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: SATURDAY - Newport Fiesta 5K - Road Closures/No Parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Quote:
Blocking an intersection so you can be inches from the car in front will not save you ANY TIME

Drivers follow through like that during gridlock, because if they don't then cars turning from the other direction will come in front of them further backing up the jam and they will never get across.

In heavy traffic situations, if you politely wait for the other side of the intersection to be clear before crossing, you would never get across.

Unless there is a cop there to direct traffic into taking turns (ignoring the lights), it is a no-win situation.

Robin.

This is simply a rationalization to excuse boorish behavior. Even during non-gridlock situations, people around here insist on blocking intersections because they are selfish pricks. Plain and simple.

But, even if this was a gridlock-only occurrence, your rationale is flawed: if there is truly a gridlock situation, no more than one car could possibly get ahead of you, as the traffic is at a standstill and simply not moving, so no more than one vehicle could possibly get in front of you. Meanwhile, in order to prevent that one vehicle from getting ahead of you, people will block the flow of perpendicular lanes for no good reason, which leads to more gridlock and frustration for everyone.

Posted on: 5/7 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 12:50
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Blocking an intersection so you can be inches from the car in front will not save you ANY TIME

Drivers follow through like that during gridlock, because if they don't then cars turning from the other direction will come in front of them further backing up the jam and they will never get across.

In heavy traffic situations, if you politely wait for the other side of the intersection to be clear before crossing, you would never get across.

Unless there is a cop there to direct traffic into taking turns (ignoring the lights), it is a no-win situation.

Robin.

Posted on: 5/6 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
Why do they close downtown for a 5K when one could be run perfectly well in Liberty State Park or Lincoln Park? Or even along the waterfront.

Parks are great for jogging, that's part of what they are designed for.

Robin.

Because this is supposed to showcase DTJC, not a state or county park. If it were all the time like the festivals on 9th ave in Manhattan I'd be peeved, but it's not. I can't recall another day except perhaps the 4th that is such a mess.

Exactly this. The event was meant to showcase DTJC. It is part of an effort by NYRR to expand into hosting some races in NJ, and by the city administration to keep JC in the conversation. The race was a resounding success. Almost 7,000 runners participated, and many others came out to support the runners. I am sure it was good business for the local restaurants and shops.

I feel the city could have done a better job of getting the word out (I know it has been pointed out that it was feature prominently in social media, and via some electronic signs) but being in touch with the many NAs and buildings in a more timely manner could have helped in getting people informed. The social media thing will only reach someone if they are followers or actively scanning those outlets, and the electronic signs are only fully consumed if you happen to walk or drive past one, and slow enough to get all the information. It just seems like a lot of people were caught off guard: memos or print outs handed out to each building in the area could have gotten the word out to people more effectively. Still, I am glad the city made the effort to have the race hosted here, and I look forward to doing it again next year.

strategically-placed cops directing traffic wouldn't hurt, either, plus cops on hand solely to ticket drivers who make the entire situation way more unpleasant by laying on their horn for solid minutes. seriously, eff those guys.

My biggest pet peeves are the asshats that are super selfish and purposefully block intersections. Blocking an intersection so you can be inches from the car in front will not save you ANY TIME and, in the meantime, you are making the gridlock worse, as others are stuck and unable to drive on since you are blocking them. The police could have definitely handled the situation MUCH better by having officers at intersections.

Posted on: 5/6 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
8/8 16:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
Why do they close downtown for a 5K when one could be run perfectly well in Liberty State Park or Lincoln Park? Or even along the waterfront.

Robin.

Because this is supposed to showcase DTJC, not a state or county park. If it were all the time like the festivals on 9th ave in Manhattan I'd be peeved, but it's not. I can't recall another day except perhaps the 4th that is such a mess.

Exactly this. The event was meant to showcase DTJC. It is part of an effort by NYRR to expand into hosting some races in NJ, and by the city administration to keep JC in the conversation. The race was a resounding success. Almost 7,000 runners participated, and many others came out to support the runners. I am sure it was good business for the local restaurants and shops.

I feel the city could have done a better job of getting the word out (I know it has been pointed out that it was feature prominently in social media, and via some electronic signs) but being in touch with the many NAs and buildings in a more timely manner could have helped in getting people informed. The social media thing will only reach someone if they are followers or actively scanning those outlets, and the electronic signs are only fully consumed if you happen to walk or drive past one, and slow enough to get all the information. It just seems like a lot of people were caught off guard: memos or print outs handed out to each building in the area could have gotten the word out to people more effectively. Still, I am glad the city made the effort to have the race hosted here, and I look forward to doing it again next year.

strategically-placed cops directing traffic wouldn't hurt, either, plus cops on hand solely to ticket drivers who make the entire situation way more unpleasant by laying on their horn for solid minutes. seriously, eff those guys.

Posted on: 5/6 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

Posted on: 5/6 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
8/16 21:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

Posted on: 5/6 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 12:50
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 5/6 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
The traffic was insane on Grand Street all day long. Watching KD horse racing, I got up a couple times with horn blowing to see what the problem was.... I forgot about this race. Can only imagine Grove/Newark Ave area congestion.

Not sure if this was a new race, but they typically run these things on Sunday morning right up Grand Street. Kind of nice sitting on the stoop with coffee watching the runners.

I heard they DQ'd the first place winner?

Posted on: 5/5 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 1:13
Group:
Registered Users
Massive Cluster F Downtown and in Paulus Hook late this afternoon/early evening. JC does it again!!!

Posted on: 5/5 1:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
6/15 16:21
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:
What do you mean there has been "no proactive information to alert people to this happening."

The City has used all of their social media platforms to show road closures and parking restrictions (Twitter, Facebook, and their official website).

And the road closure signs and parking restriction signs are plentiful and have been up for nearly a week already.

I'm not a JC gov't apologist here, but as a resident of Paulus Hook, I can assure you that we're well informed.

Newsflash: most people are NOT in social media AND following all the JC channels/platforms. I have seen one electronic sign, and I suspect I only noticed that it said because I am doing the race.

Let's see if we end up with the crazy traffic jams and chaos that materialize every time there are road closures in DTJC for an event.

Thanks for the **NEWSFLASH**

Um, there are a number of electronic signs up. And tons of posted signs (are those somehow not acceptable for the luddites not using the interwebs?).

If I'm too stupid to be aware of my surroundings and/or the sort of human being who gets mad about our city hosting a fun event, perhaps I should stay indoors. I'm sure there will be traffic issues. Who cares? That's the reality of life in the big smoke.

Posted on: 5/3 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
7/16 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:
What do you mean there has been "no proactive information to alert people to this happening."

The City has used all of their social media platforms to show road closures and parking restrictions (Twitter, Facebook, and their official website).

And the road closure signs and parking restriction signs are plentiful and have been up for nearly a week already.

I'm not a JC gov't apologist here, but as a resident of Paulus Hook, I can assure you that we're well informed.

Newsflash: most people are NOT in social media AND following all the JC channels/platforms. I have seen one electronic sign, and I suspect I only noticed that it said because I am doing the race.

Let's see if we end up with the crazy traffic jams and chaos that materialize every time there are road closures in DTJC for an event.

I for one, am looking forward to the lulz. Especially wanna hear from the poster that wanted to stop one of last years races periodically so that traffic could pass.

Would you? I suppose you are talking about me. Last year I was stuck on Grand street where there were no signs posted. No detours set up either. This year I see streets are labeled. Just what I was asking for last year. Try reading what I wrote. Reading comprehension is important maybe not for you but for most.

Posted on: 5/3 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:

I for one, am looking forward to the lulz. Especially wanna hear from the poster that wanted to stop one of last years races periodically so that traffic could pass.

Exactly THIS. That was pure hilarity. That poster felt that the race should be paused to allow traffic to flow. What a loser.

Posted on: 5/2 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 21:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:

Posted on: 5/2 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

suzychapstick wrote:

Posted on: 5/2 17:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
6/15 16:21
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 5/2 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting this! I am participating in the race and was thinking last night that JC has not learned its lesson: there has been no proactive information to alert people to this happening. I am sure it will be a MESS come Saturday. Thankfully, it is only a 5K, so it should all be over in less than two hours. NYRR is really good at setting up and wrapping up these events in an orderly manner.

Posted on: 5/2 13:08

SATURDAY - Newport Fiesta 5K - Road Closures/No Parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 3:03
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a list of the no parking/closure roads and the times during this weekend's 5K race:

Source

Resized Image

Posted on: 5/2 12:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017