Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City Councilperson Reports Rent-Control Crisis Downtown
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
I also like how they say the average rent downtown. Does that average include the new luxury apartment buildings? It would be nice if they can tell us the average rent downtown for a rent-control apartment. What is the condition of those apartments? There are a lot of things to factor in when it comes to apartments.

Posted on: 2019/5/1 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCBORN wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
what rent control crisis. i see cheap apartments downtown all the time, whenever i pass by realtor offices

Wait, What? Do you understand what rent control is?

Rent control is a government program that places a limit on the amount that a landlord can demand for leasing a home or for renewing a lease. Rent control laws are usually enacted by municipalities and the details vary widely. All are intended to keep living costs affordable for lower-income residents.

I don't believe it is for lower-income residents. That would be Section 8. If you make too much money, then you would not qualify for section 8. Maybe the same should apply to rent-control.
You can make $1,000,000.00 /year and still live in a rent-control apartment. You can live in Florida and still not give up your rent control apartment in Jersey City. These are some reasons why I believe we need to update the ordinance.

Rent Control: yes you can make $1m year and live in rent control. there are no income limits on rent control - all you have to do is find a unit that qualifies. All buildings over xxx years old (I think it's 35 but I could be wrong) with 4+ units are rent controlled. The annual increase is set by the city.

Section 8: restricted to those with low incomes whereby the government subsidizes the rent by paying a portion of it directly to the landlord.

Affordable housing: units set aside for people making xxx% of the AMI. This includes Very low (30%) , low, moderate, and 120%, if I remember correctly. The number ranges based on # of people in the household, but a 1 person household can make up to somewhere in the $70k range to qualify at 120%. https://www.nj.gov/dca/affiliates/coah/reports/incomelimits.pdf

The problem with this conversation is that when (many) downtown residents complain about a lack of affordable housing they aren't talking about the people making $50k (or a family making $90k who has to pay most of their income for housing. What they're really saying is "because I can't afford to live on this block it's not fair." Guess what, if you're making $80k, $200k, whatever, the amount of affordable housing downtown will not impact your housing choice. It's lovely if everyone is just complaining because they're altruistic and are advocating on behalf of their less-fortunate neighbors, but I highly doubt that.

Posted on: 2019/5/1 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Councilman calls for reform of Jersey City’s ‘broken’ rent control system

JERSEY CITY — Residents in Jersey City’s Downtown are losing out on affordable housing because the city’s rent control system is broken, according to a new report from the area’s councilman.

Landlords disregard rent control limits, tenants don't know they live in rent-controlled apartments and a loophole in local law allows developers to build luxury units where affordable housing once stood, Councilman James Solomon's report says.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/05/coun ... -rent-control-system.html

Posted on: 2019/5/1 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
maybe the city should take some of the tax revenue that it gets from Airbnb/short term rentals and use it for affordable housing. oh wait, that money will be soon gone

Posted on: 2019/4/30 22:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

JCBORN wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
what rent control crisis. i see cheap apartments downtown all the time, whenever i pass by realtor offices

Rent control is a government program that places a limit on the amount that a landlord can demand for leasing a home or for renewing a lease. Rent control laws are usually enacted by municipalities and the details vary widely. All are intended to keep living costs affordable for lower-income residents.

I don't believe it is for lower-income residents. That would be Section 8. If you make too much money, then you would not qualify for section 8. Maybe the same should apply to rent-control.
You can make $1,000,000.00 /year and still live in a rent-control apartment. You can live in Florida and still not give up your rent control apartment in Jersey City. These are some reasons why I believe we need to update the ordinance.

Low income for dtjc is 35K-50k which does not qualify for section 8 unless you are family of 8.

Maybe they shouldn't live downtown. Old homeowners are forced to leave because they cannot afford to live downtown. I think the old homeowners stress more over leaving dtjc than a potential tenant wanting to live downtown in a rent-controlled railroad apartment.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCBORN wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Low income for dtjc is 35K-50k which does not qualify for section 8 unless you are family of 8.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 21:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2019/4/30 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
[quote]
brewster wrote:

Very interesting doings in CA regarding zoning, a bill to prevent cities from restricting density around transit is making it's way through the legislature. It's pitting the SF mayor against his own council!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/opinion/california-housing.html

NJ has / had incentives for high density construction around 'transit hubs'. Don't recall the details though.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2019/4/30 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I see in my crystal ball a whole lot of rental buildings being converted to condos.....and the rent control warriors will say no one saw that coming.

Mine sees an old multi-unit building being torn down and replaced with new 2 family Bayonne boxes. Followed by the same "warriors" wondering why the number of rentals available keeps going down.

I am wondering if NJ will respond to the "crisis" like Oregon did.. statewide rent control, but doing nothing regarding the zoning that creates shortages to begin with.

Very interesting doings in CA regarding zoning, a bill to prevent cities from restricting density around transit is making it's way through the legislature. It's pitting the SF mayor against his own council!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/opinion/california-housing.html

Posted on: 2019/4/30 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/3 19:14
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Somebody is planting the seeds for a futuere mayoral run...LOLz. So silly.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/4/30 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I see in my crystal ball a whole lot of rental buildings being converted to condos.....and the rent control warriors will say no one saw that coming.

Mine sees an old multi-unit building being torn down and replaced with new 2 family Bayonne boxes. Followed by the same "warriors" wondering why the number of rentals available keeps going down.

I am wondering if NJ will respond to the "crisis" like Oregon did.. statewide rent control, but doing nothing regarding the zoning that creates shortages to begin with.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2019/4/30 18:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It looks like this is all one sided again. I wish the ?unpaid local volunteers? took the time to speak to the landlords to help with the rent-control ?crisis?.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Rent control is theft and POTUS should address this by requiring just compensation for those whose property is seized through these approaches.

Moreover, rent control only exacerbates the problem.https://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/RentControl.html

Local government used to be the practical government, almost nonpartisan. Why is it so insane now?

Posted on: 2019/4/30 17:37

Jersey City Councilperson Reports Rent-Control Crisis Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY, NJ ? Responding to Jersey City?s housing-cost crisis, Ward E Councilperson James Solomon will release an in-depth report on the troubling state of rent control Downtown. The report, which follows a six-month grassroots effort by Solomon?s office and a team of unpaid local volunteers, documents a pattern of skyrocketing rent increases, profit-driven tenant displacement, and landlords who flout disclosure requirements without consequence.

Along with team members and Jersey City residents, Solomon will introduce the report at a 5:00 p.m. press conference on Tuesday, April 30 on the steps of City Hall, 280 Grove Street, Jersey City, NJ.

https://www.insidernj.com/press-releas ... -control-crisis-downtown/

?Our analysis suggests there are over 1,000 rent-controlled units in Ward E alone ? more than any other source of affordable housing in these neighborhoods?, says Solomon. ?But the City maintains no comprehensive list of which buildings actually offer residents rent-control protections. We cross-referenced public tax records to come up with our own list, spent months knocking on doors to hear from tenants first-hand, and combed through 1,290 mostly handwritten unit rent records from landlord rent registration rolls obtained through the Open Public Records Act.?

Posted on: 2019/4/30 16:38

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017