Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: End of AirBnB in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I don't care one way or the other about this - never stayed in one, nor have I noticed any effect from any AirBnB's in my neighborhood (have no idea if there are any) but won't Jersey City miss the nearly $2 million in added tax revenue? How do they propose to replace that money?
i too wonder how jersey city will make up for $2 milion in lost taxes. the city will likley need to raise property taxes, and this would be after the reval which has already hurt many dowtown homeowners and comes amid a glut of new apartments downtown.

Posted on: 2019/4/26 6:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I don't care one way or the other about this - never stayed in one, nor have I noticed any effect from any AirBnB's in my neighborhood (have no idea if there are any) but won't Jersey City miss the nearly $2 million in added tax revenue? How do they propose to replace that money?

Posted on: 2019/4/26 1:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/29 1:38
From Jersey City Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
We have been all around the world and always stayed in interesting AirBnBs. AirBnBs are cheaper than the hotels and provide a unique experience of living in a home with kitchen.
We now own 1 AirBnb apartment and we intend to grow.
AirBnBs are bringing additional tax revenues to Jersey City (1.9 million last year) and additional business/job for restaurants, cleaners and hosts. There is no abnormal evidence of any AirBnB guests causing issues for our Jersey City. At least no documented evidence is provided in favor of the ordinance. AirBnB and Uber like peer to peer businesses are the future.
Because of AirBnBs and accessibility to New York, Jersey City is now known to many tourists.
If there are issues and problems with current set-up of AirBnBs or guests in Jersey City then I am sure that they can be solved without banning AirBnBs.
I think it is wrong to ban AirBnB. If you support AirBnBs then please join this facebook page and whatsapp group.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/H13WrER4Xj79gMkkVHTrgl

https://www.jcforairbnb.com/

Posted on: 2019/4/26 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I have no opinion on this, nicky. One thing is for sure, if I am missing, skip my husband, go straight to nicky. He has the serious problem.

Posted on: 2019/4/25 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
The mayor is apparently for this, so it would stand to reason the Queen NIMBY Yvonne would be 100% against and rallying her minions. Why is she silent on this issue since she?s always the one yammering about property rights? Did the hotel unions pay her off too?

Posted on: 2019/4/25 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Details

-Tenants may not operate short term rentals and apply for short term rental permits, even if you have permission to sublet your apartment on Airbnb
-Full apartment rentals in buildings larger than 3 units will be illegal
-Property owners who live on site in 3 family homes are limited to one Airbnb unit

The first restriction is a bummer. Tenants should be able to sublet with landlord's permission.

But amen to outlawing full apartment building rentals.

There's a building on 1st Street that was advertised during construction as "New Luxury Rentals Coming Soon." Since opening, the entire building has been operating as an AirBNB hotel. A dozen units, off the table to long-term tenants.

The absentee landlord never intended to rent these apartments to actual Jersey City residents, and duped the city into giving him a hotel construction permit for the relatively cheap price of an apartment building.

In addition to lowering the number of available units and pushing the prices up of those that remain, this building's visitors are not neighbors. They are transients who do not treat the neighborhood with respect, and there is no landlord or resident on-site to oversee them. Ban this nonsense.

Posted on: 2019/4/25 19:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/4/25 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
it is unconstitutional

Posted on: 2019/4/25 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
What kind of Gestapo state will JC implement to enforce this ordinance?

Did the councilman proposing this get a promise of major re-election $$$ from a hotel lobbyist?

The same Gestapo state that implemented no chain store rules (except for trendy donut shop chains) in downtown that were eventually rescinded. I'm not sure how the city could enforce this in a private home. Would it stand a legal challenge?

Posted on: 2019/4/25 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
What kind of Gestapo state will JC implement to enforce this ordinance?

Did the councilman proposing this get a promise of major re-election $$$ from a hotel lobbyist?

Posted on: 2019/4/25 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Details
In 2015 Jersey City legalized short-term rentals and began collecting hotel taxes. Last year alone, the city collected $1.9 Million in tax revenue from short term rentals.

At the May 8th City Council Meeting, a new ordinance will be voted on that would shut down a large portion of Airbnb?s in Jersey City. Below are some highlights from the proposed ordinance:

-Tenants may not operate short term rentals and apply for short term rental permits, even if you have permission to sublet your apartment on Airbnb
-Full apartment rentals in buildings larger than 3 units will be illegal
-Property owners who live on site in 3 family homes are limited to one Airbnb unit

The May 8th City Council meeting will have a public input session before the vote is taken. Join us to voice your support of short-term rental rights for owners and tenants.

Good Luck!!

Posted on: 2019/4/25 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Wait. I remember when Fulop was rolling out the unregulated red carpet for AirBnB in Jersey City. What happened?

This reeks of NIMBYism and I bet more than a couple of the NAs are pushing for this garbage. It wouldn't surprise me if Yvonne were coordinating this to a degree, too.

Doesn't seem like the NA's are pushing for this - more like the unions (which makes more sense given the sudden and swift change by JC):

(From the comment section of the JJ article:)

8 hours ago - Nathan

"I have been hosting Airbnb in Jersey City since 2012. My maintenance and upkeep of my property is impeccable. My relationship with my neighbors and guests are excellent. Airbnb offers a niche market that no one else will fill. I?ve hosted divorcees that desperately needed a place to stay; a family put out due to foreclosure; young people with good jobs but poor credit, people relocating, college students, etc. But mostly tourist worldwide and business travelers, these people would have never stepped foot in Jersey City if it wasn?t for Airbnb. They shop and eat locally, it?s a boom to the economy. There are no hotels in my neighborhood. But the hotel lobby has stuck their fat nose into my private property rights and personal business. My little Airbnb business bothers no one, and we are not the cause for high rents. Check your facts (see Bloomberg study). I was at the city council meeting tonight and there was overwhelming support for Airbnb. Only the hotel workers union, wearing their matching t-shirts and waving their signs was for this draconian ordinance. It is so obvious and corrupt. If jersey city residents don?t stand up now, no kind private property will be safe from over regulation and taxation. "

Source
it's more like hotel industry/developers. developers always manage to get union members to attend city meetings when they want an abatement, etc.

Posted on: 2019/4/25 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Getting rid of them would be great news.

Posted on: 2019/4/25 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
I think people should be able to do whatever they want with their property. However I hate living next door to one. Different people coming and going, the noise they make, and the trash they leave behind. I would never do it to my neighbors. I can hardly imagine that I am the only one that feels this way.... For the Air B and Bers on here, don't worry greed will surely prevail. If you remove Air B and B, property prices will take a hit for sure and the government that will never have enough money will lose millions.

Posted on: 2019/4/25 12:41
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Wait. I remember when Fulop was rolling out the unregulated red carpet for AirBnB in Jersey City. What happened?

This reeks of NIMBYism and I bet more than a couple of the NAs are pushing for this garbage. It wouldn't surprise me if Yvonne were coordinating this to a degree, too.

Doesn't seem like the NA's are pushing for this - more like the unions (which makes more sense given the sudden and swift change by JC):

(From the comment section of the JJ article:)

8 hours ago - Nathan

"I have been hosting Airbnb in Jersey City since 2012. My maintenance and upkeep of my property is impeccable. My relationship with my neighbors and guests are excellent. Airbnb offers a niche market that no one else will fill. I?ve hosted divorcees that desperately needed a place to stay; a family put out due to foreclosure; young people with good jobs but poor credit, people relocating, college students, etc. But mostly tourist worldwide and business travelers, these people would have never stepped foot in Jersey City if it wasn?t for Airbnb. They shop and eat locally, it?s a boom to the economy. There are no hotels in my neighborhood. But the hotel lobby has stuck their fat nose into my private property rights and personal business. My little Airbnb business bothers no one, and we are not the cause for high rents. Check your facts (see Bloomberg study). I was at the city council meeting tonight and there was overwhelming support for Airbnb. Only the hotel workers union, wearing their matching t-shirts and waving their signs was for this draconian ordinance. It is so obvious and corrupt. If jersey city residents don?t stand up now, no kind private property will be safe from over regulation and taxation. "

Source

Posted on: 2019/4/25 11:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I'd want to know what the effect of the 2016 ordinance was before saying this is or is not beneficial. How many listings are by people who live in the apartment and just rent out a room, and how many are units used as hotels? And of the listings, how many exceed the 28 day limit in the ordinance and by how much?

Posted on: 2019/4/25 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

Posted on: 2019/4/25 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/4/25 0:02

End of AirBnB in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal

An ordinance that would effectively gut the booming short-term property rental industry in Jersey City was introduced at the City Council meeting Wednesday night.

More

Posted on: 2019/4/24 23:19

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017