Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
22 user(s) are online (11 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 22

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Campfire cooking gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
8/30 3:51
Group:
Registered Users
Give each kid a broiler basket, some bamboo skewers, aluminum foil, raw food and tell them make their own grill/kebabs/weiners/toasted marshmallows/foil-wrapped potatoes/whatever. Isn't that what's it's about when you're a kid?

Posted on: 4/19 18:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 2:11
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Keep in mind it's spring and hungry bears just woke up.

Posted on: 4/19 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 1:37
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The MVP in my kit is a 12" nonstik aluminum flat bottom wok. Great for everything from al fresco pasta sauce to scrambled eggs. After that is an 8 qt pot for boiling stuff, an assortment of smaller stainless camping pots, and a 10x10 square nonstik griddle with a handle. I usually use a an ancient Coleman 2 burner gas stove, and I don't typically grill meat, so if I'm expecting a campground without a cooking grate I bring a wire shelf kept from a trashed range.

Most of my camping dinner recipes are sautes or stir frys tossed over pasta or rice noodles. Real rice is too tricky to cook over a fire. Make sure not forget the stuff you're used to having in the kitchen, like oil, salt, and seasonings. Back in the day I used film cans for spices (remember those???)

Posted on: 4/19 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
11/19 15:00
Group:
Registered Users
This style can be uses with the legs over a low fire, or with the legs folded away for a steel fire ring. Get the extra large for extra room for a pan and burgers/franks at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-62 ... 55681243&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Cast iron is your best bet. I use a standard Lodge 10" pan when I camp with a bigger group.

For mess kits, I like stainless steel. They clean up easily and there is not waste. You can get these for two people at a time, and the carrying case makes it easy to pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Silverw ... stain%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-10\

For a pot, get either a cast iron dutch oven, or a two quart stainless pot.

But if it's just for the weekend, don't pack too much stuff. Plan your menu, and bring only what you need.

When I went camping with a big group or twelve, we had a whole mess tent with a three burner stove and 40 pound griddle, as well as pans, a grate and dutch oven. But for a family of four a cast iron pan, a grate and a two quart camp pot would be my goto items.

Posted on: 4/19 13:46

Campfire cooking gear

Hide User information
Last Login :
5/3 4:46
From Clifton
Group:
Registered Users
Headed out camping next weekend with my family. It's car camping so I plan on bringing my mini wsm to use as both a cooker and grill. But also interested in exposing my boys to some campfire cooking.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive grate I can throw over the fire pit? We will be at a NH state park so expecting a standard fire ring.

I am bringing some cast iron pans. But also interested in other options for over the fire. Have been looking at some different options on amazon ranging from stainless steel mess kits (fun for the kids) to some camping pots/pans.

Interested in what folks use. Not looking to spend a ton since our first attempt at family camping. But don't want straight throwaway stuff either.

It's just a couple of nights. But thinking about all the options of what to cook! And what I need to bring to do it.

Posted on: 4/19 8:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017