Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City fighting $2.7M court award over Journal Square property
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop is starting 2019 like he finished 2018 it seems.

Posted on: 2019/1/24 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Another week and another legal defeat for Jersey City. Next Mayoral election, I'm voting for the candidate that won't continue pissing away valuable tax dollars on legal fees fighting lost causes.

This is sad news. I do believe the mayor's heart and intentions are in the right place, but there has to be a better way to go about these things. It seems like JC has been on the losing end of too many recent court cases.

Take politics out of the process and do what is best for residents. It seems from the details of the case that the entire argument of the city was "well, even though it was a deposit towards future charges once you opened, we already spent the money, we don't want to give it back, nor are we able to do so."

It's the politics. For example, the Mayor should have never fought the prior reval company. They should have just paid for work preformed and call it a day. Instead, thousands had to be spent on legal fees using a tactic that would make Trump blush. I wish the courts would have award tens of millions in punitive damages against the city so we would learn not to weaponize the legal system and be fair. There is also the robinhood property where the developer is alleging the city is dragging their feet after being order by a prior court case to grant approval. The city never learns.

Posted on: 2019/1/24 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chris_NJ wrote:
Is this property cursed? Will anything ever happen there? I remember when the previous structures were finally demolished in like 2005 thinking that something would finally be built.

Yup. It's cursed. I can even predict the future by looking at the past: There will be another owner proposing a new twin tower development in 5 years, even taller than the last iteration It will gain planning board approval and a tax abatement. Site will be cleared, maybe even excavated. Then something will happen (economic crash) and it will remain vacant for another generation. Mark my words it will occur, unfortunately.

Posted on: 2019/1/24 18:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Is this property cursed? Will anything ever happen there? I remember when the previous structures were finally demolished in like 2005 thinking that something would finally be built.

Posted on: 2019/1/24 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Another week and another legal defeat for Jersey City. Next Mayoral election, I'm voting for the candidate that won't continue pissing away valuable tax dollars on legal fees fighting lost causes.

This is sad news. I do believe the mayor's heart and intentions are in the right place, but there has to be a better way to go about these things. It seems like JC has been on the losing end of too many recent court cases.

Take politics out of the process and do what is best for residents. It seems from the details of the case that the entire argument of the city was "well, even though it was a deposit towards future charges once you opened, we already spent the money, we don't want to give it back, nor are we able to do so."

Posted on: 2019/1/24 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/1/24 11:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

N.J. Supreme Court won’t hear $2 million tax case out of Jersey City

JERSEY CITY — The New Jersey Supreme Court last week declined to weigh in on a lower court’s ruling that requires Jersey City to repay $2 million to the developer behind a failed tower project in Journal Square.

An appellate panel in August ruled that it was grossly unfair for the city to take the $2 million — a prepayment of the payments-in-lieu-of-taxes the developer planned to owe the city — and it need to be given back. New Jersey Supreme Court Chief Justice Stuart Rabner said on Jan. 14 the decision would not be reviewed by the state’s highest court.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/01/nj-s ... e-out-of-jersey-city.html

Posted on: 2019/1/24 5:17

Jersey City fighting $2.7M court award over Journal Square property
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City fighting $2.7M court award over Journal Square property

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 07, 2017 at 3:47 PM, updated March 07, 2017 at 4:21 PM

JERSEY CITY -- Jersey City is appealing a judge's decision from October that ordered the city to hand over $2.7 million to the former owners of a Journal Square property later purchased by Jared Kushner.

Hudson County Superior Court Judge Mary K. Costello's order stemmed from a lawsuit filed in July 2015 by three LLCs representing Maryland-based pension trust MEPT, the former owners of the lot. MEPT planned to build two towers on the property, a still-vacant lot across the street from the old headquarters of The Jersey Journal, and gave the city $2.7 million in 2009 after receiving two 30-year tax breaks.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ard_granted_by_judge.html

Posted on: 2017/3/8 1:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017