Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: For six years, Jersey City schools chief was at center of conflict
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
Terrible that the Teacher's Union gets to dictate how the school system is run, but me and most of the other parents in Jersey City weren't there tonight, and 150 teachers were, until enough of us make it a priority to oppose them, they get to run the show.

Robin.

Good point, but since she was a lame duck not much interest in this battle. But to your larger point, I find the entire schools issue to be impenetrable. As far as I can tell all the conflict is over who gets to pillage the system, the teachers or the admin, not over how can they do a better job.

I'd love to know more. If only there was some Journalists who would actually report in depth on the issues facing the $600m/year JC system and the implications of the factions fighting, rather than just the blow by blow. But this is what you get when Newsrooms are gutted. Big stories like the implications of the reval delay and the schools crisis simply can't be covered since most of it isn't a couple of paragraphs on "what happened today".

Posted on: 2019/2/1 4:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrible that the Teacher's Union gets to dictate how the school system is run, but me and most of the other parents in Jersey City weren't there tonight, and 150 teachers were, until enough of us make it a priority to oppose them, they get to run the show.

Robin.

Posted on: 2019/2/1 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

The Jersey City school board voted to relieve Schools Superintendent Marcia V. Lyles of her duties on Thursday night, one day after Lyles filed a federal lawsuit accusing the board and the local teachers union of harassing and defaming her.

The action was taken during the board?s regular meeting at School 26 in front of a crowd of more than 150 teachers, some waving ?Lyles go now!!!? signs. It represents a major victory for the Jersey City Education Association teachers union, which has been itching for Lyles? removal for years.

More

Posted on: 2019/2/1 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
They don't. But those stories make good copy and are ripe for playacting during public comment.

Or for posting here, apparently. I'm a little confused, one moment you're calling me an ignoramus for not caring about them, and the next you admit they're a distraction. You have not explained why I should care more about them than the core mission of the school district.

Posted on: 2019/1/7 3:31

Edited by brewster on 2019/1/7 3:49:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
They don't. But those stories make good copy and are ripe for playacting during public comment.

Posted on: 2019/1/7 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Rampant misfeasance and malfeasance in central office is not "inside baseball."

If you don't want to be informed about the issues, that's fine. But then don't pontificate about what the "real problem" is and think that by pulling a few random stats out of your butt that you understand what's going on in the district.

Minor corruption, while it should not be ignored, does not affect the big picture, which is what we should be focusing primary attention to. If you "understand what's going on in the district" why don't you explain why education, student engagement, and outcomes seem to be at the bottom of the agenda, far below wage battles and infighting?

Posted on: 2019/1/6 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
There have been plenty of issues of policy and accountability. There was Lyles's funnelling of resources to outside vendors for "professional development", the creation of a "leadership academy" with vague accountability, the loss of the entire reserve fund, toxic labor relations and poor morale, flaunting of civil service requirements that meant the board was painted as being "dysfunctional" when they finally said "enough" and refused to renew the appointments, chicanery on the health insurance switch.

Sorry, but to someone uninterested in the "inside baseball", back office nonsense, that all looks like bullshit. I take a "black box" view, I'm interested in what goes in, and what comes out of the BOE sausage factory. We see extraordinary sums go in, and continued failure and dysfunction come out.

Now, I'm not Monroe, who's only interested in cutting the budget and uses poor outcomes as justification, but letting business as usual continue just because it always has, and the employees are in favor of it, is madness.

How can one justify our ranking of 11 of 98 in extracurricular budgeting per pupil and 97 of 98 in "Salaries and Benefits for Operations and Maintenance". The message there is the schools are run for the benefit of the staff not the students. It's well known that extracurriculars like sports, music, and drama help students who might otherwise be disaffected with school become engaged. Http://www.ascd.org/publications/educ ... d-Student-Motivation.aspx

So why do we put such a low priority on them vs paying staff the most in the whole state? Isn't it clear this is what we get when the unions control the BOE?

Rampant misfeasance and malfeasance in central office is not "inside baseball."

If you don't want to be informed about the issues, that's fine. But then don't pontificate about what the "real problem" is and think that by pulling a few random stats out of your butt that you understand what's going on in the district.

Posted on: 2019/1/6 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I don?t advocate cutting the JCBOE budget, I advocate for JC taxpayers to pay their fair share and unburden suburban taxpayers.

Posted on: 2019/1/5 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
There have been plenty of issues of policy and accountability. There was Lyles's funnelling of resources to outside vendors for "professional development", the creation of a "leadership academy" with vague accountability, the loss of the entire reserve fund, toxic labor relations and poor morale, flaunting of civil service requirements that meant the board was painted as being "dysfunctional" when they finally said "enough" and refused to renew the appointments, chicanery on the health insurance switch.

Sorry, but to someone uninterested in the "inside baseball", back office nonsense, that all looks like bullshit. I take a "black box" view, I'm interested in what goes in, and what comes out of the BOE sausage factory. We see extraordinary sums go in, and continued failure and dysfunction come out.

Now, I'm not Monroe, who's only interested in cutting the budget and uses poor outcomes as justification, but letting business as usual continue just because it always has, and the employees are in favor of it, is madness.

How can one justify our ranking of 11 of 98 in extracurricular budgeting per pupil and 97 of 98 in "Salaries and Benefits for Operations and Maintenance". The message there is the schools are run for the benefit of the staff not the students. It's well known that extracurriculars like sports, music, and drama help students who might otherwise be disaffected with school become engaged. Http://www.ascd.org/publications/educ ... d-Student-Motivation.aspx

So why do we put such a low priority on them vs paying staff the most in the whole state? Isn't it clear this is what we get when the unions control the BOE?

Posted on: 2019/1/5 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
What's amazing about the whole Lyles thing, and I can't tell if it's bad reporting or murky conflict, is there's no policy being debated, just personal hurts. If the teachers are resistant to change in a failing system, maybe "us vs them" is necessary.

We have serious misallocations of resources in our system, we pay more to our staffs than almost anybody and provide less extracurriculars than almost anybody. There's no afterschool music in the entire district yet we pay our Janitors more than 98% of other comparable districts. WTF? Why is this taken as normal??????

District budget data
https://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/education/csg/18/csg.pl

I can only hope the next Superintendent is chosen for their vision and strength, not for hitting the right identity buttons.

I think you zeroed in one of the biggest issues: there is an entrenched resistance to ANY change. Every time this topic comes up for discussion, it seems to derail into a back and forth between people clamoring for change, and fiscal accountability, and those who cross their arms and say "this is the way it is" or "we work hard for our money" or "you don't know what it is like so you don't get an opinion".

I don't think people really take it as normal. I think there is a general sense of apathy because the truth is that we barely shoulder the cost of our local BOE. I know you get annoyed when Monroe brings up the matter of the state paying for the majority of our budget, but it is something that is important to this debate. Imagine what would happen if instead of paying for just 1/6 of our local BOE budget, JC residents had to shoulder 1/3 of it. Overnight, our school taxes would double and our property tax rate would go by 25% to about 1.9%. That's still low by NJ standards, but people woulds definitely find it appalling (as borne out by the reaction to the recent reval) and that's just 1/3 of the budget. If we had to pay for half our BOE budget, our school taxes would triple, and our property tax rate would go up by 50% to about 2.2%.

If people felt the pain of having to fund the wasteful ways of our BOE, they would be clamoring for reform and cost cutting measures.

You hit the nail right on the head.

Posted on: 2019/1/5 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(now)

Dr. Marcia Lyles is going to be on a segment of Lisa Evers (ex wife of Curtis Sliwa) Street Soldiers Friday night 10:30 pm Fox 5 NY

First #streetsoldiers 2019 episode?? "Education Game Changers" So inspiring what our guests are doing to give every kid a chance! Principal Kevin Lenahan, Dr. Marcia Lyles

Posted on: 2019/1/5 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Frankly, the timing of this was probably the polite way to do it. I would have noticed it and held the vote in the spring but for goodness sake, look at the vote. Even with a 3-0 sweep next November of a P4P redux, Lyles still has 5 votes against her. The dissatisfaction of the board was there for a long time, and I didn't see any attempts by Lyles to remedy it. If she didn't notice it before, then the election of the slate in November should have served as a wake up call.

Posted on: 2019/1/5 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
What's amazing about the whole Lyles thing, and I can't tell if it's bad reporting or murky conflict, is there's no policy being debated, just personal hurts. If the teachers are resistant to change in a failing system, maybe "us vs them" is necessary.

We have serious misallocations of resources in our system, we pay more to our staffs than almost anybody and provide less extracurriculars than almost anybody. There's no afterschool music in the entire district yet we pay our Janitors more than 98% of other comparable districts. WTF? Why is this taken as normal??????

District budget data

I can only hope the next Superintendent is chosen for their vision and strength, not for hitting the right identity buttons.

I think you zeroed in one of the biggest issues: there is an entrenched resistance to ANY change. Every time this topic comes up for discussion, it seems to derail into a back and forth between people clamoring for change, and fiscal accountability, and those who cross their arms and say "this is the way it is" or "we work hard for our money" or "you don't know what it is like so you don't get an opinion".

I don't think people really take it as normal. I think there is a general sense of apathy because the truth is that we barely shoulder the cost of our local BOE. I know you get annoyed when Monroe brings up the matter of the state paying for the majority of our budget, but it is something that is important to this debate. Imagine what would happen if instead of paying for just 1/6 of our local BOE budget, JC residents had to shoulder 1/3 of it. Overnight, our school taxes would double and our property tax rate would go by 25% to about 1.9%. That's still low by NJ standards, but people woulds definitely find it appalling (as borne out by the reaction to the recent reval) and that's just 1/3 of the budget. If we had to pay for half our BOE budget, our school taxes would triple, and our property tax rate would go up by 50% to about 2.2%.

If people felt the pain of having to fund the wasteful ways of our BOE, they would be clamoring for reform and cost cutting measures.

Posted on: 2019/1/4 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

District budget data

Posted on: 2019/1/4 16:06

For six years, Jersey City schools chief was at center of conflict
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

For six years, Jersey City schools chief was at center of conflict

JERSEY CITY — Over the last six years, Schools Superintendent Marcia V. Lyles has been one of the city’s most divisive public officials, a woman lauded by her supporters as someone who cares only for making public education work for all Jersey City children, but vilified by critics as a cold, calculating interloper.

Lyles’ tenure is coming to an end, with the school board voting Wednesday to say they will not rehire her when her contract expires in 2020. Speaking to education advocates about the board’s action illustrates how deep the divide is when it comes to Jersey City’s schools chief.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/01/for- ... t-center-of-conflict.html

Posted on: 2019/1/4 4:55

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017