Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Anybody had their fire extinguishers dinged in a green card inspection?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Well, no comments about the extinguishers, but I think they're going to tell me to paint the fire escape. Fair nuff, I've been telling myself it needs painting. Despite the posting on the door and 2 emails from me, one tenant still did not have a smoke detector up!

Posted on: 2018/12/19 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

I also need to remove a deadbolt (keyed on both sides) on an interior door (not used.. never had a key for it). He was into egress in case of a fire issue.

That's actually the law - it's illegal to have a keyed deadbolt for what I would consider obvious reasons.

Posted on: 2018/12/19 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
On what grounds are cracked tiles a safety issue?

Robin.

My report had something about "maintaining smooth surfaces". It was written like I had tank trap size holes in the floor.. instead of hairline cracks.

It is just annoying mostly. The financial devastating ruling for me was being ordered to add a fire escape 10 years after being told I didn't need one by DCA. The ruling came at a time when I was really short on $$$$.

Speaking of fire escapes, I have been informed there is a very aggressive fire inspector dinging buildings for lack of fire escapes and requiring that they be retrofitted in 10 days or face fines. The state at least gave me 6 months.

My experience with fire inspectors is they are really poorly trained. I took a plan drawing to the firehouse on Marin to ask EXACTLY where they wanted detectors, and the inspector shat the bed.

Posted on: 2018/12/18 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

My report had something about "maintaining smooth surfaces". It was written like I had tank trap size holes in the floor.. instead of hairline cracks.

It is just annoying mostly. The financial devastating ruling for me was being ordered to add a fire escape 10 years after being told I didn't need one by DCA. The ruling came at a time when I was really short on $$$$.

Speaking of fire escapes, I have been informed there is a very aggressive fire inspector dinging buildings for lack of fire escapes and requiring that they be retrofitted in 10 days or face fines. The state at least gave me 6 months.

Posted on: 2018/12/18 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Haggis wrote:
A bit off topic, but FWIW,
Our last building inspector said all 6 storage doors in the basement (6 unit building, each unit has an enclosed built in storage, not caged storage) would need to have louvers installed on each door in order to pass future inspections.
He would "let us go" this time, but not next.

Not OT IMO, it's good to hear about all the possibilities. I've often wondered if it's best to leave them some low hanging fruit like smoke detectors or pots on the fire escape so they don't feel they need to get creative to look like they were thorough.

Ex: though they've been inspecting for decades, somehow they suddenly discover that there's no handrail on a sidewalk hatch from the basement. I've gotten this twice. Is there a list of fallback citations?

Posted on: 2018/12/18 16:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
A bit off topic, but FWIW,
Our last building inspector said all 6 storage doors in the basement (6 unit building, each unit has an enclosed built in storage, not caged storage) would need to have louvers installed on each door in order to pass future inspections.
He would "let us go" this time, but not next.

Posted on: 2018/12/18 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2018/12/18 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Uh oh, if I get Mr. Cracked Tile fetish I have trouble, one of those hallway extinguishers kept getting knocked down by tenants and cracked the hell out of the hallway tiles. It's amazing the variation of these inspections. I've had them do nothing but check the E-lights and smokes, and some that go over the place with a fine tooth comb. I guess if they ding my extinguishers I just get new ones, some of these are more than a decade old anyway. $35 at Costco.

I have a considerable workshop in my basement and have always had a fear of one of them getting a bug up their ass about it for some reason. But most of them never even look in the basement!

Posted on: 2018/12/18 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
None of my inspectors have even mentioned fire extinguishers. I have them in the common areas or in the apartment itself. The moment I have to have inspections done on them (I replace them every few years anyway) they are gone!

I did however have Mr. Cracked Tile fetish who required me to replace a bunch of ceramic floor tiles with hairline cracks in them. Not something I wanted to do considering my tenants didn't have an issue and I long ago ran out of matching tiles.

I also had Mr. Door fetish who wants me to remove a door leading from the common hallway to the garage. I also need to remove a deadbolt (keyed on both sides) on an interior door (not used.. never had a key for it). He was into egress in case of a fire issue. Not sure what is going to be in the report... it has been 6 months since the inspection and the report still isn't filed.

Dept. Of Community Affairs building inspection is a friggin disaster.

Posted on: 2018/12/18 1:41

Anybody had their fire extinguishers dinged in a green card inspection?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'm wondering if I still have to remove my hallway fire extinguishers to avoid having to get them expensively inspected. It's so stupid that they're not required at all, but if you have them they will cite you for non-inspection.

Posted on: 2018/12/17 23:43

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017