Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City Transforms Parking Spots into Parklets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
It's really sad that even something as benign as *temporary* "parklets" can devolve into this nonsense.

The thread on NextDoor about this subject is so demoralizing... simply put, a bunch of old timers lamenting the "good old days" of surface street lots, and being able to drive somewhere and park right in front. Our city will never progress or evolve into a world class city as long as we have so many people holding on to antiquated ideas.

Antiquated ideas or memories of better times?

Posted on: 2018/9/29 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Dolomiti, course they are near traffic, actually, there is one not far from a fire station in the heights.

Good grief. It uses a single parking space! It doesn't stick into the street. It doesn't take up more space than a parked car. It doesn't cause more traffic. And it is nowhere near the out-of-town traffic that you were just blaming for increased traffic accidents.

Quote:
With the city removing parking and these parklets, it is just easier to shop and go to a restaurant outside JC.

They're using five parking spots. FIVE. The idea that this will have even the slightest dent on the number of available parking spaces, in a city the size of JC, is utterly irrational.

Plus, Jersey City doesn't have to orient its entire public policy around cars. Quite the opposite.

Quote:
The hassle is not worth it.

There is no hassle. Thus, by definition it is worth it.

Quote:
Why doesn't the city do a survey and ask residents where they shop and why?

Because we elect representatives to make decisions like this. That's how a representative democracy works.

SMH

Posted on: 2018/9/28 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Three murders in three weeks, and the mayor drops a parklet on Ocean Avenue. That's the answer!

It is my understanding that it was 3 murders in 10 days.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
It's really sad that even something as benign as *temporary* "parklets" can devolve into this nonsense.

The thread on NextDoor about this subject is so demoralizing... simply put, a bunch of old timers lamenting the "good old days" of surface street lots, and being able to drive somewhere and park right in front. Our city will never progress or evolve into a world class city as long as we have so many people holding on to antiquated ideas.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Dolomiti, course they are near traffic, actually, there is one not far from a fire station in the heights.

Good grief. It uses a single parking space! It doesn't stick into the street. It doesn't take up more space than a parked car. It doesn't cause more traffic. And it is nowhere near the out-of-town traffic that you were just blaming for increased traffic accidents.

Quote:
With the city removing parking and these parklets, it is just easier to shop and go to a restaurant outside JC.

They're using five parking spots. FIVE. The idea that this will have even the slightest dent on the number of available parking spaces, in a city the size of JC, is utterly irrational.

Plus, Jersey City doesn't have to orient its entire public policy around cars. Quite the opposite.

Quote:
The hassle is not worth it.

There is no hassle. Thus, by definition it is worth it.

Quote:
Why doesn't the city do a survey and ask residents where they shop and why?

Because we elect representatives to make decisions like this. That's how a representative democracy works.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Dolomiti, course they are near traffic, actually, there is one not far from a fire station in the heights. With the city removing parking and these parklets, it is just easier to shop and go to a restaurant outside JC. The hassle is not worth it. Why doesn't the city do a survey and ask residents where they shop and why?

Posted on: 2018/9/27 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/9/27 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
JC has turnpike traffic, the Holland Tunnel Traffic, 1&9 Traffic, 139 Traffic plus people coming here from Bayonne and North Hudson.

None of the parklets are anywhere near any of that traffic.

None of the parklets will cause any accidents. There is no rational reason for anyone to believe they will cause any accidents. They are literally the size of a normal parking space. They will be surrounded by parked cars. There is no risk.

Stop the fear mongering.

Quote:
Part of the reason why there are accidents in JC has to do with the traffic lights. Unlike other cities, our lights are not uniform. One block is green but the next is red.

This happens everywhere. It doesn't cause accidents.

Quote:
So many cars including buses rush through because they know they would have to wait.

This also happens all over.

Quote:
Other cities have continuous lights of green or red which eliminate the need to rush plus our streets are very narrow unlike NYC.

Please, stop being silly.

Some major arterioles, including in JC, time the lights. Other roads are not timed. These policies don't really cause or stop accidents.

Posted on: 2018/9/26 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
1) JC List is supposed to be a forum where people can express their opinions.
2) Name calling in no way supports your opinion, makes your argument more substantial or helps in any way to get your point across, and actually makes you look stupid and childish.
3) If you have a problem with someone you have the power to close your eyes, click on another window...etc.
4) Very few new people bother with JC List anymore. I've been on it for about 10 years and now I just check it mostly because it's like a train wreck and I can't seem to look away for long.
5) I don't know any of you and have no vested interest in anyone "winning" an argument. Truthfully I'm over all of you. I'm just expressing an opinon.
6) And again a forum doesn't necessarily need to devolve into an argument.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Are you a property owner nicky? Because if you are not, then you have no skin in the game. Lawsuits against the city results in settlements in which taxpayers foot the bill. So tell me, do you have skin the game?

FYI I am an owner, so I have "skin in game" you slobbering mongrel. You have a lot of nerve saying renters, who pay those same taxes through their rents and still shop here and contribute to the economy have no say.

As usual, you go for nasty names, I can only guess, your parents did a poor job of raising you. How sad.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Are you a property owner nicky? Because if you are not, then you have no skin in the game. Lawsuits against the city results in settlements in which taxpayers foot the bill. So tell me, do you have skin the game?

FYI I am an owner, so I have "skin in game" you slobbering mongrel. You have a lot of nerve saying renters, who pay those same taxes through their rents and still shop here and contribute to the economy have no say.

As usual, you go for nasty names, I can only guess, your parents did a poor job of raising you. How sad.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 14:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Part of the reason why there are accidents in JC has to do with the traffic lights. Unlike other cities, our lights are not uniform. One block is green but the next is red. So many cars including buses rush through because they know they would have to wait. These things cause accidents but the city put them in order to slow down traffic but drivers who know the game try to rush before the lights change. Other cities have continuous lights of green or red which eliminate the need to rush plus our streets are very narrow unlike NYC. You only need one accident at these parklets which will result in a massive lawsuit. One thing for sure, I would not sit in one.

It takes a special kind of mind to blame the parklet for getting flattened by a bus. I don't mean this rhetorically: don't you think the city would be better with speed bumps, narrower streets, etc., and giving over more public space for use by the public?

Posted on: 2018/9/25 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2018/9/25 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Part of the reason why there are accidents in JC has to do with the traffic lights. Unlike other cities, our lights are not uniform. One block is green but the next is red. So many cars including buses rush through because they know they would have to wait. These things cause accidents but the city put them in order to slow down traffic but drivers who know the game try to rush before the lights change. Other cities have continuous lights of green or red which eliminate the need to rush plus our streets are very narrow unlike NYC. You only need one accident at these parklets which will result in a massive lawsuit. One thing for sure, I would not sit in one.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 13:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

I'm a property owner and I support parklets. If buses can't control themselves on city streets and end up crushing our parklets, the solution is to slow and reduce traffic on city streets, not surrender public spaces to vehicles.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/9/25 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
JC has turnpike traffic, the Holland Tunnel Traffic, 1&9 Traffic, 139 Traffic plus people coming here from Bayonne and North Hudson. You cannot compare the traffic and besides, you do not know what San Francisco has unless you speak to an insurance agent. You can banned all cars in JC and the cars coming from the outside will still clog the city.

Yvonne the snowflake and her minions are upset simply because of the loss of her precious parking spaces. We should just repurpose all green space in the city into parking lots.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 3:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/24 21:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
JC has turnpike traffic, the Holland Tunnel Traffic, 1&9 Traffic, 139 Traffic plus people coming here from Bayonne and North Hudson. You cannot compare the traffic and besides, you do not know what San Francisco has unless you speak to an insurance agent. You can banned all cars in JC and the cars coming from the outside will still clog the city.

dumb of the dumbest. my brain hurts reading your thought diarrhea. LOL carry on tho, great comic relieve.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/9/25 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
JC has a lot of traffic that just passes through, there are a lot of accidents. Just call your auto insurance person, he/she can give you all the accidents in JC. Every year I call about the rates and every year he tells what accidents happens in JC. Just because it is not in the paper does not mean there are no accidents.

i guess they don't have accidents in San Fracisco and insurance rates are going down?

Posted on: 2018/9/24 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JC has a lot of traffic that just passes through, there are a lot of accidents. Just call your auto insurance person, he/she can give you all the accidents in JC. Every year I call about the rates and every year he tells what accidents happens in JC. Just because it is not in the paper does not mean there are no accidents.

Posted on: 2018/9/24 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
This event is neither new nor unique to JC. It started in 2005 in San Francisco and has spread around the world.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/09/f ... arking-to-parklet/539952/

No records of any accidents, injuries or deaths.

Posted on: 2018/9/24 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When a car or bus loses control we will see how long these parklets last.

Egads

These spots are literally the same size as a parking space. There is absolutely no justification whatsoever to claim they will cause any vehicle to "lose control."

Cue next rationalization in 3, 2, 1....

Posted on: 2018/9/24 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I guess you expect buses or cars to be losing control everyday...maybe 3 or 4 times per day for each parklet.

Posted on: 2018/9/24 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/9/24 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think the parklet idea is cute and probably something that has been in the planning stages for awhile. I don't think the mayor/city should stop trying for QOL improvements. obviously sad that there were 3 murders.

Posted on: 2018/9/24 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Three murders in three weeks, and the mayor drops a parklet on Ocean Avenue. That's the answer!

Should the construction workers be out looking for clues or something?

Posted on: 2018/9/24 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/9/24 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Newsboi wrote:
Mayor Steven M. Fulop announces five ?parklets? being installed around the City in an effort to create more public space and enhance the pedestrian experience. The five parklets are mini-parks which will temporarily turn a standard parking space into a place for the public to enjoy with seating, landscaping, lighting, art and more.

http://riverviewobserver.net/2018/09/ ... ce-pedestrian-experience/

Has Yvonne started rallying her NIMBY trash to revert this yet?

So tell me, are you seeing a therapist?

Posted on: 2018/9/23 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Newsboi wrote:
Mayor Steven M. Fulop announces five ?parklets? being installed around the City in an effort to create more public space and enhance the pedestrian experience. The five parklets are mini-parks which will temporarily turn a standard parking space into a place for the public to enjoy with seating, landscaping, lighting, art and more.

http://riverviewobserver.net/2018/09/ ... ce-pedestrian-experience/

Has Yvonne started rallying her NIMBY trash to revert this yet?

Posted on: 2018/9/23 18:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017