Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City seeks to boost pay of department directors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Big pay raises on the way for Jersey City council aides

Jersey City's $15,000-a-year council aides will be getting a big pay raise thanks to a unanimous vote by the council on Wednesday.

The council members' aides are slated to get an annual salary of $32,000, a boost that council members said is necessary to give their assistants a livable wage.

https://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... aises_on_the_way_for.html

Sounds fair, what kind of talent is going to be attracted by McDonald's type wages. #15k & $1 Meal Item

Posted on: 2018/9/14 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Big pay raises on the way for Jersey City council aides

Jersey City's $15,000-a-year council aides will be getting a big pay raise thanks to a unanimous vote by the council on Wednesday.

The council members' aides are slated to get an annual salary of $32,000, a boost that council members said is necessary to give their assistants a livable wage.

https://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... aises_on_the_way_for.html

Posted on: 2018/9/14 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The city council separted the council aides salary from the directors' salary. The aides salary increase passed first reading but the directors' salary is still being worked on.

Posted on: 2018/8/16 10:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
That's an interesting anecdote that sure refutes my perception. And there's no doubt the city web presence sucks. I wonder if some fields like finance and IT are so saturated with money that the floor salary for competence really is that high. As a counter-example I know a social worker with 2 Ivy degrees who directs a major hospital clinic supervising dozens and doesn't break $100k. I'd argue that example is more relevant to most city govt positions.

Posted on: 2018/8/14 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
some positions would be hard to find a talented person to be able to discharge the duties and responsibilities without providing a competitive salary

Possibly, but I doubt it. My observation has been that the Metro area is so saturated in well educated talent in every field that the difference between the top and middle is mostly the opportunities they've had. It's easy to see this in the arts, but it extends to many other fields.

I can only speak to my experience. As part of my work, I am often asked to advise clients on their hiring of a new CIO or Director of IT. The very few that have tried to find someone for less than 150K have never been successful in their hires. They all flame out or turn out to be overwhelmed by the job. It is simply not possible in this region to find someone to fill that kind of position for that kind of money. When Jersey City had listed the Director of IT position, it was offering a laughably low salary. I think the city's web presence has improved tremendously since Fulop took over, but the bar was SO LOW, that anything would have been great. The truth is that the IT solutions in place at the moment are terrible, starting with those that are user-facing. None of the city-related websites I have seen perform as you would expect from "the best midsize city" in the US. Not even close.

In any case, all I am trying to say is that i am sure the truth lies somewhere in between: surely some positions could be discharged by just about anyone, while others do require some actual skills and talent.

Posted on: 2018/8/14 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
some positions would be hard to find a talented person to be able to discharge the duties and responsibilities without providing a competitive salary

Possibly, but I doubt it. My observation has been that the Metro area is so saturated in well educated talent in every field that the difference between the top and middle is mostly the opportunities they've had. It's easy to see this in the arts, but it extends to many other fields.

Posted on: 2018/8/14 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
brewster wrote: Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Jersey City seeks to boost pay of department directors

JERSEY CITY — The city is proposing annual raises of $10,660 to $28,835 for nine department directors, citing a need to boost pay to keep top officials from fleeing city government for higher paying jobs.

The planned pay raises would be the first for the nine positions in more than a decade. The business administrator, clerk and corporation counsel would see their pay rise from $139,340 to $150,000. The directors of economic development, health, human resources, public works and recreation, plus the tax assessor, would get a pay boost from $121,165 to $150,000.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _of_department_direc.html

Let em flee, this "losing talent" crap is the biggest lie. There's plenty of competent people out there who would love those already well paying jobs. I know people with Ivy degrees who'd be thrilled to make $140k in the public sector with great benefits.
I think that it is a bit over simplistic to make blanket statements either way: without a doubt, some positions would be hard to find a talented person to be able to discharge the duties and responsibilities without providing a competitive salary, but some others are so basic, that any educated person could hold the job.

Posted on: 2018/8/14 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

JERSEY CITY — The city is proposing annual raises of $10,660 to $28,835 for nine department directors, citing a need to boost pay to keep top officials from fleeing city government for higher paying jobs.

The planned pay raises would be the first for the nine positions in more than a decade. The business administrator, clerk and corporation counsel would see their pay rise from $139,340 to $150,000. The directors of economic development, health, human resources, public works and recreation, plus the tax assessor, would get a pay boost from $121,165 to $150,000.

Let em flee, this "losing talent" crap is the biggest lie. There's plenty of competent people out there who would love those already well paying jobs. I know people with Ivy degrees who'd be thrilled to make $140k in the public sector with great benefits.

Posted on: 2018/8/14 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

JERSEY CITY — The city is proposing annual raises of $10,660 to $28,835 for nine department directors, citing a need to boost pay to keep top officials from fleeing city government for higher paying jobs.

Posted on: 2018/8/14 2:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017