Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: its official: entire heights must buy resident parking permit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
The idea for zone 16 parking in all of the Heights was to open up parking for local residents, I don't see the advantage yet. I think the main objective is to deter the temptation by having signage up. The idea for four hours instead of two is so local residents can shop on Central Ave or visit with friends or relatives. Ward E is toying with a similar idea but with only three hours. The parking Division being a 24 / 7 operation should be able to ticket as they patrol and not depend on just the signs to deter people from taking up valuable real estate. I would say only allow visitors to park on one side of the street and also have one uniform zone for the entire city that would be a true gesture towards their residents as opposed to a segregated parking society that we have now.

Posted on: 2019/3/17 22:44
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
PSA: Signs went up yesterday on JFK saying the entire BLVD has a 4 hour parking limit from 139 to Secaucus road .. The Zone 16 signs are up on JFK going North , and on JFK coming South from Secaucus road will probably be completed by this evening.

I haven't seen anything saying the BLVD has been zoned.

The side streets around me has seen some enforcement . Maybe once a day someone comes around checking.

Three streets which are county roads are not part of the zone, Kennedy Blvd, Secaucus Rd., and Paterson Plank Rd.

Posted on: 2019/3/17 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
PSA: Signs went up yesterday on JFK saying the entire BLVD has a 4 hour parking limit from 139 to Secaucus road .. The Zone 16 signs are up on JFK going North , and on JFK coming South from Secaucus road will probably be completed by this evening.

I haven't seen anything saying the BLVD has been zoned.

The side streets around me has seen some enforcement . Maybe once a day someone comes around checking.

Posted on: 2019/3/13 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When the Jersey Journal published the addresses and houses of the city council for their reval story, many or the majority had personal parking. So they are making up laws that affect the majority that must park on the street. Something is wrong with that picture.

Poor reading comprehension Yvonne, they're actually improving street parking for residents at the expense of visitors.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
When the Jersey Journal published the addresses and houses of the city council for their reval story, many or the majority had personal parking. So they are making up laws that affect the majority that must park on the street. Something is wrong with that picture.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:

I was in Hoboken yesterday. Used to be .25 for 15 minutes to park on the metered street. I paid what came out to be .05 minute - the meters aren't even marked with the going rate - it's all inked out. So what used to be a reasonable $1.00 per hour is now $3.00 an hour. And they're charging for plastic bags to boot. Death by 1,000 cuts.

My last real reason to go to Hoboken was to take the wife and kid to Turning Point for breakfast. Parking is just too expensive and too much of a hassle now.

Less need now that some decent places opened up in the Heights. Big difference from when I moved in years ago... back then it was all Chinese takeout, $0.99 stores, etc.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Curious if JC will do what Hoboken did: Make the entire city pay parking for non-residents, which requires using a smartphone app.

I expect this at some point given the revenue potential.

It's not the entire city, just certain blocks, and often just the one side that was previously 4 hr visitor parking and the other is still resident only. Gotta say it does free up more spots for visiting. There's a plan to really bump up the cost though.

I was in Hoboken yesterday. Used to be .25 for 15 minutes to park on the metered street. I paid what came out to be .05 minute - the meters aren't even marked with the going rate - it's all inked out. So what used to be a reasonable $1.00 per hour is now $3.00 an hour. And they're charging for plastic bags to boot. Death by 1,000 cuts.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Curious if JC will do what Hoboken did: Make the entire city pay parking for non-residents, which requires using a smartphone app.

It's not the entire city, just certain blocks, and often just the one side that was previously 4 hr visitor parking and the other is still resident only. Gotta say it does free up more spots for visiting. There's a plan to really bump up the cost though.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/3/12 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heyyouguys wrote:
Why not RESIDENT PARKING ONLY during the evening hours like they have in Paulus Hook?

WUT!? There is no such thing in Paulus Hook, except for one or two blocks, along the light rail track area. The vast majority of Paulus Hook is just like the rest of JC: 2-hr limit during the day, and no limit whatsoever at night. This COULD be changing in the future, as the city is now examining/debating proposals that could extend limits to late into the evenings.

Quote:

Do they check permits in other neighborhoods in JC?

I can only speak for my neighborhood, and they *definitely* check permits in the PAD. It used to be a free-for-all in our area, until residents started to complain and demanded stepped up enforcement. The PEOs come around at least three times during the day to check on permits, and they regularly ticket vehicles that are in violation of the permit rules. One drawback to this has been that some PEOs are very, very bad at their job and will ticket vehicles with valid permits because they don't get out of their carts when checking for them, and will miss permits that can not be spotted more easily if they had stepped out. The city should follow the lead of other cities around the world, requiring PEOs to take pictures of vehicles before issuing a violation. This would server two purposes: force the PEO to get out and really examine a vehicle to properly determine if a violation has taken place, and provide proof to enforce the fine when someone goes to court to try and get out from the ticket.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 15:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/12 6:02
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
So, it has been about 6 months since the new parking rules went into effect in the Heights. I live in the area of the Heights where prior to the change, there were no parking regulations at all. Finding parking any time of the day, but especially late at night, was always a huge challenge. The fact that commuters from the suburbs could park in the Heights and take the bus into Port Authority was crazytown. I, like most of my neighbors, welcomed the new permit requirements in hopes it would improve the parking situation by eliminating the scenario that non-residents could leave their cars in the Heights for as long as they wanted.

Here's what I've noticed thus far:

There has been ZERO enforcement of the parking permits. None whatsoever. When the rules went into effect, I questioned whether the parking authority would be able to enforce a 4-Hour parking limit. It seemed like such a huge window to go around and check non-permitted cars and accurately gauge whether they'd been there for more than 4 hours. Why not a 2-hour limit like the rest of JC? Why not RESIDENT PARKING ONLY during the evening hours like they have in Paulus Hook? Not that any of that matters, because I've never actually seen anybody checking permits. Not once. Because of this, parking hasn't improved at all. It's just as bad as it's always been.

Enforcement of the permits just isn't happening. I know this because I bought a new car in January and didn't get around to getting a parking permit for over a month and I didn't get a single ticket. I was 100% confident I would not get a ticket. In the Heights, the only parking rules they enforce are alternate side parking because it's easy. That and when you park on the corner where there is clearly enough room for an additional spot but they post "No parking here to corner" signs to further the problem of lack of parking.

What's everyone else's take on the parking situation in the Heights? Do they check permits in other neighborhoods in JC?

Posted on: 2019/3/12 5:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
So will residents who do not have cars be able to get a yearly pass for use when renting vehicles?

If a resident Leases a car they will be able to get a yearly pass.

Posted on: 2018/7/28 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

But, if indeed this is a problem in your neck of the woods, here is some good news for you: residents of developments which have parking (even if the parking is not free) are not eligible for on-street parking. So, once the rules go into effect, all those residents of high rises with parking decks/lots will have to figure a place to park, or risk getting ticketed. At $100/ticket, paying for monthly parking will be a relative bargain.

I can't wait for them to zone "Soho West". Those buildings all have parking but few seem to use it, making the streets a parking lot, complete with cars stopping in middle of Coles and people walking in the middle of the street. I think what makes it worse than any normal parked up street is the lots without sidewalks, The city should make the owners build sidewalks now that there's a ton of pedestrians, before someone gets hurt. I"ve now seen a woman pushing her double stroller in the street several times, presumably to and from poor overused HP.

The Powerhouse District is just now getting sidewalks, once the developers built them. It's been next to impossible to get the city to plan ahead and get safe pathways established while asking new residents to live in a transitional area in "luxury" apartments. We might have one sidewalk per block but access to the elevated platform/sidewalks is sketchy.

Very true. Thankfully, the developers of the new towers going up have done a great job putting in place really wide sidewalks. I look forward to completion of the second phase of Provost Square project. They have been opening the sidewalks little by little, and also resurfaced one of their streets already, and the results have been very good.

Posted on: 2018/7/27 19:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/22 19:10
Group:
Registered Users
I can't seem to find any recent information on this change. Does anyone have any solid knowledge on when this will start?

Posted on: 2018/7/27 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

But, if indeed this is a problem in your neck of the woods, here is some good news for you: residents of developments which have parking (even if the parking is not free) are not eligible for on-street parking. So, once the rules go into effect, all those residents of high rises with parking decks/lots will have to figure a place to park, or risk getting ticketed. At $100/ticket, paying for monthly parking will be a relative bargain.

I can't wait for them to zone "Soho West". Those buildings all have parking but few seem to use it, making the streets a parking lot, complete with cars stopping in middle of Coles and people walking in the middle of the street. I think what makes it worse than any normal parked up street is the lots without sidewalks, The city should make the owners build sidewalks now that there's a ton of pedestrians, before someone gets hurt. I"ve now seen a woman pushing her double stroller in the street several times, presumably to and from poor overused HP.

The Powerhouse District is just now getting sidewalks, once the developers built them. It's been next to impossible to get the city to plan ahead and get safe pathways established while asking new residents to live in a transitional area in "luxury" apartments. We might have one sidewalk per block but access to the elevated platform/sidewalks is sketchy.

Posted on: 2018/7/27 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Posted on: 2018/7/27 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
In my part of the Heights, street parking became scarce after two developments were completed. Both have indoor parking, but it seems the tenants prefer parking on the street.

Parking fees too expensive?

Is that a rhetorical question? Who chooses to pay ~200/month when you could have same/similar for ~0/month??

Posted on: 2018/7/27 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In my part of the Heights, street parking became scarce after two developments were completed. Both have indoor parking, but it seems the tenants prefer parking on the street.

Parking fees too expensive?

Posted on: 2018/7/27 13:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/27 5:35
From Jersey heights
Group:
Registered Users
thanks!

Well permits may address the out of towners issue but the way people park their cars on the street wasting space front and behind their cars how to solve that?
Given the severe shortage of parking spaces in the city this callous attitude toward fellow residents is shameful.
It seems basic human courtesy is too much to expect

Posted on: 2018/7/27 5:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rb_ib wrote:
Hello all, I am a new member in this forum and a new resident of (Jersey Heights).
When does this resident permit become effective? Are all streets included in this permit? Earlier a few streets didn't require a permit.

Yes, from Tonnelle Ave. to Ogden Ave and from the St. Hwy. (139) to both city borders. It was supposed to have taken affect in May but there is a delay with signage, and deciding whether is should be 24 hours of only up till 11 pm.

Posted on: 2018/7/27 0:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/27 5:35
From Jersey heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hello all, I am a new member in this forum and a new resident of (Jersey Heights).
When does this resident permit become effective? Are all streets included in this permit? Earlier a few streets didn't require a permit.

Posted on: 2018/7/26 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Look, residents in the Heights, if property owners are paying taxes and increased water rates, so why pay for additional for parking? This mayor/council has also increased many fees on many things. The city has been pushing development to add to the budget without the adequate parking so of course there are problems. Insist all new construction have parking spaces.

I sort of agree ... every taxed residential property should receive one (only) parking permit and pay through the nose for a second one or visitors permit (max. limit 2 including the free permit).

The freebie and extra parking should be limited to those that have no off-street parking available (the older homes) and not for new developments or when the regulations were in place for developers to provide off-street parking... this is inner city living and things should only improve as old homes get bulldozed and new construction with off-street parking get built.

Posted on: 2017/4/16 21:54
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

"A $15 annual permit for residents will allow them to park in the zone 24 hours a day."

Expanded services at virtually FREE rates? That price is stupid and needs to be increased. Some would say substantially or to market rate. I would say $30-$50/year makes sense - that's still a giant bargain. How does this city expect to pay for better services like expanded enforcement - which we desperately need citywide - at these 1970's prices?!?

I agree that the cost for the basic residential permit should rise, a little now, and more each year. But just as important: Residential permits for MULTIPLE cars per household should be MUCH more expensive. A little more expensive for the second, but 3 and 4 and 5 cars? Those are MUCH more likely to be unnecessary, and we shouldn?t be subsidizing their ownership. Buy your teenager a bike and a bus schedule, and the people who genuinely still NEED cars to work and raise families will have more room to park. Or if you absolutely insist, then if you can afford 4 or 5 cars, you can pay more for all the taxpayer-owned, taxpayer-maintained street space you?re hogging up.

Posted on: 2017/4/16 21:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 13:42
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
[quote]
earthling wrote:
[quote]
Yvonne wrote:

Since 1981, however, light-rail costs have exploded: the least expensive light-rail line now under construction, in Salt Lake City, costs more than $50 million per mile, and the average is well over $100 million per mile. There is no way to justify these costs when buses are so much less expensive.

Building garages or requiring new construction to have parking is the answer. We should not go into debt to build a public transportation system.

..............>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and which streets will they use?

on narrow oakland st fulop did put a few hundred cars extra in just past few years. oakland was designed in about 1850.

Posted on: 2017/4/16 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

earthling wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Look, residents in the Heights, if property owners are paying taxes and increased water rates, so why pay for additional for parking? This mayor/council has also increased many fees on many things. The city has been pushing development to add to the budget without the adequate parking so of course there are problems. Insist all new construction have parking spaces.

no, create public transportation system, like in europe.

Since 1981, however, light-rail costs have exploded: the least expensive light-rail line now under construction, in Salt Lake City, costs more than $50 million per mile, and the average is well over $100 million per mile. There is no way to justify these costs when buses are so much less expensive.

Building garages or requiring new construction to have parking is the answer. We should not go into debt to build a public transportation system.

Posted on: 2017/4/14 20:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 13:42
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
So will residents who do not have cars be able to get a yearly pass for use when renting vehicles?

all you get is a right not to be ticketed. you can print permit yourself for like 5 cents at staples. same value.

what terrence failed to notice is that city will be selling at premium unlimited permits for outsiders on the side, what negates the whole claim of helping residents. they produced nothing to back up any claim. it is called extortion.

Posted on: 2017/4/14 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/14 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

earthling wrote:
terrence was busy picking his nose and twitting about trump at last night council meeting, so it did not make it to the news.

ordinance 17-033
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/agenda.aspx?id=1268

fulop's war on middle class continues.

Zone 2 will no longer exist in the Heights it will now be zone 16.

Posted on: 2017/4/14 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Does zone 2 still remain and is it separate from a new zone, or is the new zone an expanded zone 2?

Posted on: 2017/4/14 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Weird, I could have sworn I commented here.

I think this is great and would love to see it expanded to other parts of the city. The pockmark parking zones are absurd right now, where if you go two blocks from your house suddenly you're in another zone. And having permit parking apply only during work hours makes no sense to me as most people would need parking during the evening anyway.

I like that people working in the area can get a 6 month permit for only $50 as well, which is better than taking chances and getting tickets right now.

also thought this quote was hilarious
Quote:
Pat O'Melia, of Congress Street, called the measure an "attack on the working people of the Heights." O'Melia said it would hurt workers of businesses on Central and Palisade avenues.

"You might as well put red caps on that say 'make America great again,'" O'Melia told council members, "because you're all working for Trump."

wtf does that even mean? I dislike Trump a lot but a lot of Jersey City people love to freak out about any little change.

I too wish that the entire city was like the Heights having a uniformed zoned system instead of this segregated society. As far as change, do you really want a submissive society to just accept what ever is thrown in front of them ? Remember this ordinance should only be inconvenient towards out of town plates so not to convenient local residents. Being loyal to our residents and home owners should be first priority.

Posted on: 2017/4/14 14:12

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017