Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
50 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 50

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Legal Weed Is Coming to New Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I don't personally have a problem with paying the tax on marijuana if there is a home grow provision. Alcohol is similarly taxed, but people also have the liberty to brew their own alcohol at home

Home brewing wasn't legalized till 1979.
https://beerandbrewing.com/the-day-homebrewing-was-legalized/

Posted on: 2018/7/18 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I don't personally have a problem with paying the tax on marijuana if there is a home grow provision. Alcohol is similarly taxed, but people also have the liberty to brew their own alcohol at home.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
[quote]

Didn't know about WA. But this "overtaxed" is overblown. If an $8 gram has $2 tax, do you really think that's so awful? Booze is similarly taxed and no one is hysterical. The dispensary limiting IS a big deal. If you have to drive an hour, or spend hours on public transit to reach the nearest dispensary, that's deliberate hardship.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
The only state that did not include a home growing provision was Washington state, and if you look into it, the people in the state are now having to contact their elected officials to try to get on board with a home growing provision. NJ doesn't want a home grow provision because they want everyone to buy marijuana from the state. They keep saying this is for racial justice, but I think it would be more just of them to not be so transparently greedy. Many minorities are too poor to have a car to drive to a dispensary let alone have enough money to spend on overtaxed marijuana. If this is really about racial justice, they should prove it and provide the masses with a sensible home grow provision like Vermont. Two mature female plants in flowering at any time, and six plants total.

Didn't know about WA. But this "overtaxed" is overblown. If an $8 gram has $2 tax, do you really think that's so awful? Booze is similarly taxed and no one is hysterical. The dispensary limiting IS a big deal. If you have to drive an hour, or spend hours on public transit to reach the nearest dispensary, that's deliberate hardship.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
The only state that did not include a home growing provision was Washington state, and if you look into it, the people in the state are now having to contact their elected officials to try to get on board with a home growing provision. NJ doesn't want a home grow provision because they want everyone to buy marijuana from the state. They keep saying this is for racial justice, but I think it would be more just of them to not be so transparently greedy. Many minorities are too poor to have a car to drive to a dispensary let alone have enough money to spend on overtaxed marijuana. If this is really about racial justice, they should prove it and provide the masses with a sensible home grow provision like Vermont. Two mature female plants in flowering at any time, and six plants total.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Weed is even easier than tobacco (which has to be dried, toasted, and has other stuff added to it). Anyone with $500 to spare can setup a pretty nice grow room in a spare closet.

I don't think any of the rec legal states have outlawed growing your own, some have pretty liberal ideas of how much is required for "personal use", typically 4-6 plants. And as it turns out, the taxes are not a big deal when the market is driving the price into the basement. I hear in CA its crazy cheap now.

All the gloom and doom predictions of corporate control of this product don't make any sense as long as personal growing is possible. Corps will do all the concentrates and such, where the money is, just like ADM makes far more than the farmer growing corn.

Our state lawmakers are morons, wanting to legalize possession but leave all the distribution in the hands of criminals. Is this Rice guy on dealer's payrolls?

Quote:
Senator Ronald R. Rice, the chairman of the state?s legislative black caucus and one of the most vocal opponents of legalization, fears dispensaries would be concentrated in cities. ?In my heart, and from my experience, I know the detriment it?s going to cause long-term in urban communities in particular,? he said. He supports decriminalizing the possession of small amounts of marijuana instead.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i'm pretty much agree that nixon might be causing cuomo to shift on marijuana, but i'm pointing out that murphy hasn't done much so far on recreational marjuana (something he campaigned on). you don't want to know what i think about christie or trump; i'm merely pointing out that they tried/are trying to implement policies to keep their base happy

Murphy is constantly pushing to get it done. It's getting held up by legislators who have very different concerns, which makes compromise difficult.

To put it briefly, Trump SUCKS at getting legislation passed. ACA replacement? Total failure, and he's completely given up. Mexico paying for the wall? Epic fail. Immigration and Dreamer legislation? Fail. Infrastructure plan? Vaporware. Legislative agendas are dead for 2018, due to the midterms. The only thing he did was cut taxes, and no one could fail to get a tax cut through a Republican legislature. Even Obama did that.

As to Christie: Not only was he the least popular governor in NJ history, he was the least popular gov in any state in 20 years of Quinnipiac's polling. You don't get that way by giving the base what it wants. Plus, you can't really push legislation when you spend about 2 years out of state prepping for a Presidential run, which failed quickly, then sucking up to Trump for months, only to get fired before the inauguration, all while fending off a major scandal....
christie might have been very unpopular, but his base votes..same with trump, i despise the guy, but he is appealing to his base and i don't think there's a single democrat that has a chance of beating the guy! and wake up! aca is slowly but surely rolled back/killed in practice, if not name.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Weed is even easier than tobacco (which has to be dried, toasted, and has other stuff added to it). Anyone with $500 to spare can setup a pretty nice grow room in a spare closet.

I don't think any of the rec legal states have outlawed growing your own, some have pretty liberal ideas of how much is required for "personal use", typically 4-6 plants. And as it turns out, the taxes are not a big deal when the market is driving the price into the basement. I hear in CA its crazy cheap now.

All the gloom and doom predictions of corporate control of this product don't make any sense as long as personal growing is possible. Corps will do all the concentrates and such, where the money is, just like ADM makes far more than the farmer growing corn.

Our state lawmakers are morons, wanting to legalize possession but leave all the distribution in the hands of criminals. Is this Rice guy on dealer's payrolls?

Quote:
Senator Ronald R. Rice, the chairman of the state?s legislative black caucus and one of the most vocal opponents of legalization, fears dispensaries would be concentrated in cities. ?In my heart, and from my experience, I know the detriment it?s going to cause long-term in urban communities in particular,? he said. He supports decriminalizing the possession of small amounts of marijuana instead.
well, wouldn't cities have the right to ban sales of recreational marijuana in their jurisdictions. and if rec marijuana comes to NY, it's gonna find its way across the hudson. and if marijuana is "so bad" for black urban areas, why don't i read about problems in oakland with the stuff?

Posted on: 2018/7/18 4:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2018/7/18 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i'm pretty much agree that nixon might be causing cuomo to shift on marijuana, but i'm pointing out that murphy hasn't done much so far on recreational marjuana (something he campaigned on). you don't want to know what i think about christie or trump; i'm merely pointing out that they tried/are trying to implement policies to keep their base happy

Murphy is constantly pushing to get it done. It's getting held up by legislators who have very different concerns, which makes compromise difficult.

To put it briefly, Trump SUCKS at getting legislation passed. ACA replacement? Total failure, and he's completely given up. Mexico paying for the wall? Epic fail. Immigration and Dreamer legislation? Fail. Infrastructure plan? Vaporware. Legislative agendas are dead for 2018, due to the midterms. The only thing he did was cut taxes, and no one could fail to get a tax cut through a Republican legislature. Even Obama did that.

As to Christie: Not only was he the least popular governor in NJ history, he was the least popular gov in any state in 20 years of Quinnipiac's polling. You don't get that way by giving the base what it wants. Plus, you can't really push legislation when you spend about 2 years out of state prepping for a Presidential run, which failed quickly, then sucking up to Trump for months, only to get fired before the inauguration, all while fending off a major scandal....

Posted on: 2018/7/18 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Looks like NY might have legal rec weed b4 NJ....why does NJ always move at a snail's pace?

You think that New York State works fast? hahahaha

Anyway... If you read the article you linked, it points out that Cuomo has opposed legal weed for a long time. He's only discussing it at all because Miranda Hobbes Cynthia Nixon is pushing him to the left.

Another reason Cuomo is even considering it, after years of opposition? Yeah, it's because NJ and other nearby states might legalize first.

NJ is going slow because some legislators are dead set against legalization; and those who support it want to make sure that people previously busted on pot charges don't get screwed by legalization. The alcohol lobbies are pushing hard against it, too. New York legislators will have the same types of concerns and issues.

Quote:
This is sort of my problem with democrats...other than obama, they don't want to deliver.

Yes, because it's not like Christie spent his entire term sabotaging medical marijuana, and categorically refused to consider decriminalization, let alone recreational use. Or Kim Guadagno opposed recreational marijuana. Oh, wait...

Quote:
say what u want about trump....

Yeah, you really don't want to hear what I have to say about that.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
...and a Gothamist article from last month, pointing out that "yeah, legal weed in NY State, it's gonna be a while."

http://gothamist.com/2018/06/18/ny_marijuana_legalization.php

Posted on: 2018/7/18 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Looks like NY might have legal rec weed b4 NJ....why does NJ always move at a snail's pace?

You think that New York State works fast? hahahaha

Anyway... If you read the article you linked, it points out that Cuomo has opposed legal weed for a long time. He's only discussing it at all because Miranda Hobbes Cynthia Nixon is pushing him to the left.

Another reason Cuomo is even considering it, after years of opposition? Yeah, it's because NJ and other nearby states might legalize first.

NJ is going slow because some legislators are dead set against legalization; and those who support it want to make sure that people previously busted on pot charges don't get screwed by legalization. The alcohol lobbies are pushing hard against it, too. New York legislators will have the same types of concerns and issues.

Quote:
This is sort of my problem with democrats...other than obama, they don't want to deliver.

Yes, because it's not like Christie spent his entire term sabotaging medical marijuana, and categorically refused to consider decriminalization, let alone recreational use. Or Kim Guadagno opposed recreational marijuana. Oh, wait...

Quote:
say what u want about trump....

Yeah, you really don't want to hear what I have to say about that.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
If either NY or NJ pass it, the taxes placed on it will be so onerous, people will just buy from the black market (like what happens now with cigarettes).

https://fee.org/articles/high-taxes-on ... ck-into-the-black-market/

good point, but some people will opt to buy legally..i guess nj and ny will just have to jail pot dealers who don't state marijuana taxes...funny, isn't it in a twisted sorta way

Posted on: 2018/7/17 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
If either NY or NJ pass it, the taxes placed on it will be so onerous, people will just buy from the black market (like what happens now with cigarettes).

https://fee.org/articles/high-taxes-on ... ck-into-the-black-market/

Posted on: 2018/7/17 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

NY State Health Department Recommends Legalizing Marijuana

http://gothamist.com/2018/07/16/legalizing_pot_ny_cuomo.php

This is sort of my problem with democrats...other than obama, they don't want to deliver. they talk a good game, but oce in office. say what u want about trump, he is attempting to deliver on his promises (although mean spirited) and the same can be said about christie (may god curse his soul).

Posted on: 2018/7/17 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
When is no going to get moving on legalizing marijuana. I read somewhere that NY is now closely looking at legalizing weed.

Much of NJ's financial windfall from this is based on NYers learning that NJ isn't that far away. If NJ is to move, they need to move quick...

Posted on: 2018/5/18 21:10
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When is no going to get moving on legalizing marijuana. I read somewhere that NY is now closely looking at legalizing weed.

Posted on: 2018/5/16 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
"This is the part where I point out that the bike/walk/mass transit-friendly streets of Amsterdam, where car traffic is limited and calmed by engineering, law, and culture, are far safer, crash-wise, than those of basically every other large city. (Their national average is around 3.4 deaths per 100k?about a third of ours.)

This despite having pot and hashish sold on every other corner, drunk tourists roaming around every night, and a self-reported 2/3 of young people regularly biking while drunk.

The most effective remedy for the dangers of intoxicated driving, it turns out, is not reducing intoxication, it's reducing ... well, you know.

K bai!"

Thank you Elsquid for another informative post that doesn't stoop to inane name calling and one upmanship.
May your tribe increase.

Posted on: 2018/5/3 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It's funny and sad that you can replace marijuana in this entire statement with alcohol and take a time travel back 100 years to alcohol prohibition. And see all the stupid arguments and why they didn't work. No one believes that alcohol being legal for adults implies that it's okay for kids, even kids don't see that. What's interesting is that currently it's far easier for kids to get weed than alcohol because the marijuana market is 100% underground and no one's carding. Quote:
Stringer wrote:

What Hudson Prosecutor Esther Suarez thinks about legal weed and 6 other topics

Posted on: 2018/5/2 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
It is difficult to pin an increase in traffic accidents or traffic fatalities on marijuana legalization. Traffic deaths nationwide increased by 14% from 2014 to 2016, with 2016 being the deadliest year since 2007. So Colorado is far from the only state to see an uptick in traffic incidents.

Colorado's traffic fatality rate per 100,000 citizens is 11.0, which is actually below the national average of 11.6. The highest fatality rates are in Mississippi (23.1) and Alabama (21.3), states that most certainly are not known for lax marijuana laws.

If anything, I'd surmise that the increase in traffic deaths nationwide has more to do with a strengthening economy plus relatively low gas prices. These two factors helped make 2016 the year with the highest number of miles driven in the history of the United States. More cars on the road and more miles driven would logically lead to an increase in traffic accidents.

This is the part where I point out that the bike/walk/mass transit-friendly streets of Amsterdam, where car traffic is limited and calmed by engineering, law, and culture, are far safer, crash-wise, than those of basically every other large city. (Their national average is around 3.4 deaths per 100k?about a third of ours.)

This despite having pot and hashish sold on every other corner, drunk tourists roaming around every night, and a self-reported 2/3 of young people regularly biking while drunk.

The most effective remedy for the dangers of intoxicated driving, it turns out, is not reducing intoxication, it's reducing ... well, you know.

K bai!

Posted on: 2018/5/2 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

What Hudson Prosecutor Esther Suarez thinks about legal weed and 6 other topics

Posted on: 2018/5/2 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
I didn't say car accidents are down. In fact, I said quite the opposite.

Returning to my original statement, the legalization of recreation marijuana will translate into higher car insurance rates. So even non users will be affected by this change.

Posted on: 2018/4/20 22:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't say car accidents are down. In fact, I said quite the opposite.

Posted on: 2018/4/20 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/4/20 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The Denver Post has been doing stories on this since marijuana has become legal, accidents have one up. But what make the newspaper 'angry' is the fact that some medical examiner tests for marijuana use and other don't so you are not getting a full picture of accidents. Those that don't says marijuana stays in the body for a long time so it is not accurate. But that also means your surgeon or air pilot who uses marijuana for recreation has the chemical still in their blood. At what point during an accident does this drug interferes with judgment?

But the tons of functioning alcoholics are fine with you because it's been legal for years?

A few rips of some dank Kush and you'll mellow out a bit.

Posted on: 2018/4/20 21:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
It is difficult to pin an increase in traffic accidents or traffic fatalities on marijuana legalization. Traffic deaths nationwide increased by 14% from 2014 to 2016, with 2016 being the deadliest year since 2007. So Colorado is far from the only state to see an uptick in traffic incidents.

Colorado's traffic fatality rate per 100,000 citizens is 11.0, which is actually below the national average of 11.6. The highest fatality rates are in Mississippi (23.1) and Alabama (21.3), states that most certainly are not known for lax marijuana laws.

If anything, I'd surmise that the increase in traffic deaths nationwide has more to do with a strengthening economy plus relatively low gas prices. These two factors helped make 2016 the year with the highest number of miles driven in the history of the United States. More cars on the road and more miles driven would logically lead to an increase in traffic accidents.

Posted on: 2018/4/20 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Denver Post has been doing stories on this since marijuana has become legal, accidents have one up. But what make the newspaper 'angry' is the fact that some medical examiner tests for marijuana use and other don't so you are not getting a full picture of accidents. Those that don't says marijuana stays in the body for a long time so it is not accurate. But that also means your surgeon or air pilot who uses marijuana for recreation has the chemical still in their blood. At what point during an accident does this drug interferes with judgment?

Posted on: 2018/4/20 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
We've been screwed ever since no-fault anyway Yvonne. They don't need a reason to jack up your rates, they just make it up as they go along. It's a Joisey thing.

I think it's going to get even more interesting as the mileage trackers get market share. Low mileage drivers have been subsidizing higher risk high-mileage drivers forever. So, similar to the reval, as some people get their insurance lowered some are going to get it raised.

That said, the whole tracker thing is creepy as hell! I can see every place my wife goes via the insurance app and vice versa. No doubt they're selling the data too.

Posted on: 2018/4/20 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Just be prepared to pay more money in car insurance. There has been an increased in accidents in Colorado. I spoke to my agent as to why rates are going up even you do not make a claim and he gave me the stats in JC.

We've been screwed ever since no-fault anyway Yvonne. They don't need a reason to jack up your rates, they just make it up as they go along. It's a Joisey thing.

Posted on: 2018/4/20 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just be prepared to pay more money in car insurance. There has been an increased in accidents in Colorado. I spoke to my agent as to why rates are going up even you do not make a claim and he gave me the stats in JC.

Posted on: 2018/4/20 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Poll: 59% of New Jersey backs legal weed

https://newjerseyglobe.com/section-2/p ... -jersey-backs-legal-weed/

The silent majority needs to not be silent on this issue and overpower the NIMBYs trying to stop this.

Posted on: 2018/4/20 16:57

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017