Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City Council to introduce $587 million budget with zero tax increase
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I called the state and finally the Friendly Budget was introduced. The tax abated properties does not show the current reval, hopefully that will happen next year. But it does show that $80 million is not being collected this year due to tax abatements.

Posted on: 2018/7/20 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The amendment to the budget was today, I did not see anyone from JC list there only regular people who attend council meetings. The Friendly Budget was not available even though, State Senator Stack contacted the Department of Community Affairs which stated all towns should have the Friendly Budget. Stack responds to his constituents. I asked for the ratable base and tax rate, no answer, but Councilman Yun informed me that the ratable base is now $34 billion and the tax rate for the three budget is $1.42 or $14.20.

This is actually valuable information (really). Thank you Yvonne. Ratable base of $34 billion and 1.42% tax rate.

Posted on: 2018/7/11 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The amendment to the budget was today, I did not see anyone from JC list there only regular people who attend council meetings. The Friendly Budget was not available even though, State Senator Stack contacted the Department of Community Affairs which stated all towns should have the Friendly Budget. Stack responds to his constituents. I asked for the ratable base and tax rate, no answer, but Councilman Yun informed me that the ratable base is now $34 billion and the tax rate for the three budget is $1.42 or $14.20.

Posted on: 2018/7/10 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The time you spend on JCList could be applied at budget hearings so you would know were the money is going is why the bond debt is so high.

Posted on: 2018/6/29 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Ralph, I was not confuse...

lol

Posted on: 2018/6/29 7:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ralph, I was not confuse, I know what was told to me. I did reach out to state senator Stack and he had his office contact Dept of Community Affairs. The report should be out in July. In the past, it was out earlier because I rarely miss a budget hearing in JC. My fist hearing, the budget was 4 pages and was $90 million. It is in over a hundred pages and the city is collecting over $600 million.

Posted on: 2018/6/29 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Any news on when the budget will be voted and the tax quarterly bills sent?

Posted on: 2018/6/29 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Like your comment about the County Clerk (http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org), you are clearly confused. I doubt that the city clerk stated such as the UFB is codified in law and thre will be one produced for 2018 for all municipalities. see here:
http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dlgs/programs/mc_budgets.html

Posted on: 2018/6/14 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your answer but at the budget hearing, the city clerk told me without me asking him that there will be no Friendly Budget this year. Yes, I do agree, the regular budget comes out and shortly afterwards the Friendly Budget comes out. I do not expect to find the Friendly Budget at the introduced budget but it does appear when the budget in finally adopted.

Posted on: 2018/6/12 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dlgs/resources/fiscal_rpts.shtml

It is referred to as a "User Friendly Budget". Jersey City's is likely unavailable as of now because it has not adopted its 2018 budget. When it does and submits its document to the state, you can find it at the above link, look for it in the pull down list- not only for Jersey City, but all other municipalities, including Union City for 2018 and prior years. When I last checked a few weeks ago, many or all of the 2018 UFBs were not yet posted at the state website.

Posted on: 2018/6/12 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"Thank god. Myself and the rest of Jersey City can sleep easy tonight knowing Yvonne is on top of this ultra important matter." You're welcome.

Posted on: 2018/6/11 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
In years 2015, 2016, and 2017, Jersey City produced the Friendly budget. The Friendly budget gives details that is not available in a regular budget. This year, I was told by the city clerk, the state did not produce a Friendly budget. I asked Senator Stack about this and his office check and told me the state has not changed their policy on the Friendly budget. His office also plans on contacting the Department of Community Affairs to see what is the problem. I will keep people posted when I get an answer.

Thank god. Myself and the rest of Jersey City can sleep easy tonight knowing Yvonne is on top of this ultra important matter. Who cares that the JCMUA lost tens of millions, the real conspiracy is this friendly budget. We should reward her with a new parking lot in the place of her choosing for pursuing this matter.

Posted on: 2018/6/11 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In years 2015, 2016, and 2017, Jersey City produced the Friendly budget. The Friendly budget gives details that is not available in a regular budget. This year, I was told by the city clerk, the state did not produce a Friendly budget. I asked Senator Stack about this and his office check and told me the state has not changed their policy on the Friendly budget. His office also plans on contacting the Department of Community Affairs to see what is the problem. I will keep people posted when I get an answer.

Posted on: 2018/6/11 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Yvonne, you know the MUA is autonomous and not under the control of the Mayor's Office right? Fulop doesn't set the rates that the MUA pays. These rate increases were started by the MUA before Fulop even became mayor.

She's referring to this story -- when the MUA board decided to sharply increase the annual fee it gives to the city.

At the meeting where this happened, the MUA chair voted no and the deal failed. After he took a phone call, he changed his vote and the deal passed.

Posted on: 2018/4/13 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, you know the MUA is autonomous and not under the control of the Mayor's Office right? Fulop doesn't set the rates that the MUA pays. These rate increases were started by the MUA before Fulop even became mayor.

Hopefully the MUA does give some of that money back though, it's outrageous that they're hiking rates and accumulating money for no reason.

Posted on: 2018/4/13 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The 2017 introduced Jersey City budget was $572 million but according to the 2018 budget the city actually took in $616 million. Some of that money became surplus but it only goes to show that Fulop did not need the MUA surplus, money that should have been returned to ratepayers. The 2018 budget shows an increase of one million for a new program in Administration called Innovation. The budget hearing was on April 11th. It is now the council's budget so I hope they start cutting because spending has increased greatly since Fulop became mayor, over $100 million since Healy was mayor. That is a $100 million more on the backs of downtown homeowners with this new reval.

Posted on: 2018/4/12 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Take a breath and re-read. It's not at all like the analogy you pose. He directly benefits from something he's identified as not only wrong but harming others. Yes, he should by all means advocate for a fix and try to effect change. But:

1) other than burping on here about it six times a day, I don't think he's really trying to do anything.

2) He doesn't believe things are changeable here (he constantly drones on about how local democratic rule prevents anything good from happening, ever.)

3.) The analogous people to whom you refer aren't benefiting from Trump's policies. They are working to change things that are harmful, either to themselves or others.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

What? By that logic, all liberals are more morally compromised than conservatives, and all should leave the country, instead of actively opposing the president and the policies they find morally abhorrent.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
I agree that school funding is the same disaster it was before and after this administration took office .... but, you know as well as anyone, the machinations that this administration has done to keep the city portion of taxes flat while increasing spending by continuing to give out abatements (PILOTS) so the city keeps the portion of taxes from new development that would go to the schools (under funding the schools) for itself and raiding the JCMUA.

and what services have been improved?

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Your one note opera rings a little flat here. How is that fact different than when he took over? It isn't. The point is, he has improved services while holding taxes flat over an extended period of time.

Frankly, I find you even more morally compromised than those you accuse. You truly believe this is a problem and continue to benefit from it. If it bothered you so much you would, at a minimum, leave.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
What tune would he be singing if he wasn't getting a half billion a year from suburban taxpayers to pay for his schools??

100% accurate and correct on how abatements are abused. While many continue to push the myth that abatements are a free ride for residents paying PILOTs, the accurate view is that abatements are used by the city to hide/mask increased spending by enabling them to not raise the municipal budget while allowing for higher spending due to their being able to pocket almost the entirety of PILOT payments.

The only surprise (to me) is that the county administrators, and the administrations of the other municipalities in Hudson county, have sat idly by while JC abuses this system. Imagine how much lower taxes could be for the county if abatements were not given out like candy.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that school funding is the same disaster it was before and after this administration took office .... but, you know as well as anyone, the machinations that this administration has done to keep the city portion of taxes flat while increasing spending by continuing to give out abatements (PILOTS) so the city keeps the portion of taxes from new development that would go to the schools (under funding the schools) for itself and raiding the JCMUA.

and what services have been improved?

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Your one note opera rings a little flat here. How is that fact different than when he took over? It isn't. The point is, he has improved services while holding taxes flat over an extended period of time.

Frankly, I find you even more morally compromised than those you accuse. You truly believe this is a problem and continue to benefit from it. If it bothered you so much you would, at a minimum, leave.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
What tune would he be singing if he wasn't getting a half billion a year from suburban taxpayers to pay for his schools??

Posted on: 2018/3/20 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Of course we can have it both ways. Didn't you see that episode of South Park (S7 E1 I'm a little bit country)? Saying one thing and doing another is one of the founding principles of our great nation.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Of course we can have it both ways. Didn't you see that episode of South Park (S7 E1 I'm a little bit country)? Saying one thing and doing another is one of the founding principles of our great nation.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:

Quote:

Monroe wrote:

What? By that logic, all liberals are more morally compromised than conservatives, and all should leave the country, instead of actively opposing the president and the policies they find morally abhorrent.

You can't have it both ways: either you are in favor of people calling out the things they find reprehensible and help bring about change, or they should just leave. But, here is the rub: sooner or later you will run out of places to which you can escape, as no place on Earth is perfect. Not even the factionalized utopia of Scandinavia that gives some liberals a fat chubby.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2018/3/20 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

$588M 2018 budget proposed for Jersey City

JERSEY CITY — The City Council last week introduced a $588 million municipal budget for 2018, a plan that comes as residents hit by results of the property revaluation are clamoring for major spending cuts.

The budget total is largely unchanged from the one adopted in 2017, and that may not be enough for residents facing reval-related tax increases later this year. At a meeting about the reval at Casa Colombo in February, one resident demanded the city reconsider how it spends "every penny."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... osed_for_jersey_city.html

Posted on: 2018/3/19 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Any NJ who pays sales tax, or takes Uber, or who uses or rents with Airbnb . . . But at least you're all understanding who pays for $500 million a year of JC school costs.

And again, the 3% who pay 2/3 of NJ income taxes don't live in Abbot Districts mostly. And 1/3 of JC, and other towns like Elizabeth, are UEZ zoned-where the sales tax is halved, reducing NJ tax coffers!

Posted on: 2018/3/18 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And NJ.com noted today that the top 3% earners pay an incredible 2/3 of NJ income taxes! Wanna take a guess where those people live? Not Newark, JC, Camden, or Paterson.

So that should put to rest any claim that Murphy's income tax increase will hurt all New Jerseyans. A limited number of people who can easily afford to pay it, will pay it.

Posted on: 2018/3/18 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And NJ.com noted today that the top 3% earners pay an incredible 2/3 of NJ income taxes! Wanna take a guess where those people live? Not Newark, JC, Camden, or Paterson.

So what?

Income is taxed based on where it is earned, not what enclave the earner retreats to at night. I have a solo practice where I work in NYC but also work a lot from home in NJ. I have to allocate income based on where I earn it.

Some of those wealthy suburbanites, if they work in NYC, don't pay NJ state income tax at all.

Much more income tax and other revenues are generated in urban areas like Newark and Jersey City. Urban areas subsidize the suburbs.

Posted on: 2018/3/18 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
You know Robin Hood was the hero in that story, right? Taking from the rich and giving to the poor is usually interpreted as a good thing. Christ.

Posted on: 2018/3/18 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/3/18 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
It's state funds. Not suburban funds.

JC pays for 17%. Newark 11%. East Orange 9%.

Millburn, Mendham, Livingston, Kinnelon all cover 86%. Princeton, 79%. Bernards, 74%.

NJ is Robin Hood, taking from the rich and funding schools like JC that overspend and underdeliver. Of course the suburbs fund it, although the check gets washed through Trenton.

Posted on: 2018/3/17 23:11

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017