Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Article: Dense zoning is the solution to housing costs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:

Hmmm because all of those other things are easier to produce?

Exactly. Zoning makes it harder to produce new housing, especially bad zoning which will see the destruction of a 3+ flat replaced by a 2-unit Bayonne Box.

Something must change.

Posted on: 2018/6/20 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ActionDan wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When I was a kid in school, I had to study the 1960 census, the population then was 179 million. Being 335 or 330 million means there is more competition for housing. That is 156 or 160 million more people in my lifetime. In the 1970s, approximately 20% of Jersey City housing stock was vacant, nothing but empty buildings and empty land. More people means there is more competition for housing. Rents were extremely cheap, around $150 a month.

OK so why is there a housing shortage and not a food shortage or an automobile shortage or clothing shortage?

Hmmm because all of those other things are easier to produce?
Because all of those other things can be imported?

Posted on: 2018/6/20 16:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When I was a kid in school, I had to study the 1960 census, the population then was 179 million. Being 335 or 330 million means there is more competition for housing. That is 156 or 160 million more people in my lifetime. In the 1970s, approximately 20% of Jersey City housing stock was vacant, nothing but empty buildings and empty land. More people means there is more competition for housing. Rents were extremely cheap, around $150 a month.

OK so why is there a housing shortage and not a food shortage or an automobile shortage or clothing shortage?

Posted on: 2018/6/19 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Just to be clear, due to inflation, $150 in 1960 is equal to $1,257.78 in today?s dollars.

Please stop using logic and facts! Those pesky things are to be ignored to make wild statements to further an agenda detached from reality.

Posted on: 2018/2/12 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Just to be clear, due to inflation, $150 in 1960 is equal to $1,257.78 in today?s dollars.

Posted on: 2018/2/12 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Yvonne, crack a book and study some actual economics rather than racist crap on Fox. Population growth is considered an essential of economic growth, new industry needs new workers, and the entire housing construction sector could shut down if we had no population growth. Japan and some European countries are in serious trouble because of low, shrinking, or aging populations.

Your nostalgia for a economically moribund, depopulated JC is horrifying. How about 1930, when JC had 317,000 residents? Bet you'd have hated that! Where would you have parked your Model T?

Posted on: 2018/2/12 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/2/11 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The shortage of housing has more to do with population and immigration than anything else. I clicked on a youtube speech of Ronald Reagan where he spoke before a crowd in Portugal in 1985. This speech was not covered in the news since it had to do with religion (Fatima.) Reagan said, "I represent the 229 million people of the United States..." I was shocked. 32 years later, it is 329 million. The US is not having babies, the reason for the Social Security increases but there are more legal and illegal people here. That is the reason for the shortage of houses.

Either he misspoke, or you misheard. Almost every credible source of such information puts the US population in 1985 closer to 240 MM (perhaps he said 239 MM?) The population today is about 325 MM. That puts the actual difference at 85 MM. Sounds like a lot, until you realize that we are talking about 1 percentage point in growth every year. That's right, the US population grows by less than 1 percentage point every year. That's actually very low. In fact, it lags most other countries, which is the reason why our population, as a percentage of the world population, keeps shrinking.

What has REALLY changed is that 10% more people (75% vs 83% of total population) are choosing to live in urban areas compared to the 1985 version of the US . More people have left the farming communities and rural areas and flocked to urban centers.

Posted on: 2018/2/11 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The shortage of housing has more to do with population and immigration than anything else. I clicked on a youtube speech of Ronald Reagan where he spoke before a crowd in Portugal in 1985. This speech was not covered in the news since it had to do with religion (Fatima.) Reagan said, "I represent the 229 million people of the United States..." I was shocked. 32 years later, it is 329 million. The US is not having babies, the reason for the Social Security increases but there are more legal and illegal people here. That is the reason for the shortage of houses.

Posted on: 2018/2/11 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
maybe the state should announce a plan to eventually require jc, newark and others to fund all/most of their systems. its time to stop the abatements. Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Good article.

Jersey will never be tax fair.

Tax abated properties also add more revenue to the city in the form of pilot payments. It's the county and school board that get shafted by the under assessment of land and by abatements.

Posted on: 2018/2/7 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
More on this subject, a CA state senator is trying to force higher density on transit hubs.

A BID TO SOLVE CALIFORNIA?S HOUSING CRISIS COULD REDRAW HOW CITIES GROW

https://www.wired.com/story/scott-wein ... rnia-housing-bill-cities/

Quote:
The goal, Wiener says, isn't Hong Kong?style high-rises. It's what housing advocates call the ?missing middle,? things like side-by-side duplexes, eight-unit apartment buildings, six-story buildings?a building form even San Francisco built plenty of in the early 20th century. Typically these are wood-frame construction, cheaper to build than luxury steel-and-glass high-rises.

Posted on: 2018/2/7 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Years back, Pittsburgh shifted more of the tax burden on land than on the improvements. The idea was to encourage empty lots of be redeveloped.

Later, this tax policy was reversed. I don't know the reasons for the reversal though.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Good article.

Jersey will never be tax fair.

Tax abated properties also add more revenue to the city in the form of pilot payments. It's the county and school board that get shafted by the under assessment of land and by abatements.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 16:57

Article: Dense zoning is the solution to housing costs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Short excerpt from this long article: Https://www.buildzoom.com/blog/paying- ... d-from-construction-costs

Quote:
When home buyers are paying for dirt, someone is being excluded, and the solution is to densify

High home value to replacement cost ratios are a good indication that the housing supply is restricted, meaning that people who are willing and able to pay enough to support new housing construction are being excluded by limits on density.

Both expensive coastal metros and affordable expansive ones would benefit from the relaxation of restrictions on housing density, but for slightly different reasons. Whereas the former need greater housing density to combat a full-blown housing affordability crisis, the latter need it in order wean off sprawl without creating an affordability crisis of their own.

Doesn?t upzoning just raise the value of land?

A common objection to increasing a lot?s permitted housing density or ? loosely speaking ? upzoning it, is that it simply raises the value of the land in reaction to the increase in density rather than resulting in cheaper homes. Although there is truth to the observation, it is a poor argument against raising density. When upzoning raises land values it indicates that the scarce factor drawing a premium is not land per se, but the units zoned upon it. It is mistaken to think that upzoning will reduce the land value component of homes simply by dividing a fixed land value over a greater number of units. The value of land depends on its characteristics, one of which is the number of units it is zoned for ? i.e. the number of households allowed to call it home ? and changing that number affects the land?s value. But upzoning also increases the number of zoned units in the housing market as a whole, and in so doing will contribute to easing their scarcity.

For upzoning to meaningfully suppress housing prices, it must be applied en masse. Upzoning a limited number of lots ? where ?limited? means small compared to the relevant housing market ? will raise the value of the upzoned land without measurably influencing home values. To suppress housing prices, upzoning must substantially ease the scarcity of zoned units and, for this to happen, upzoning must be applied at sufficient scale vis-a-vis the relevant housing market.

Another interesting artifact highlighted in this article is the ratio of replacement construction cost to land price. 07302 is 4.81:1 according to the data provided, yet that's the reverse of how our property is appraised. The land is always the minor cost. If this were done accurately, a lot of the abated properties would be taxed much higher, since the value of the land is not tax abated. In the Heights (3.14:1 ratio) where double lots are closing on $1m a single lot is appraised by the city at around $80k. (A $20k assessment) These fictions can't be good for tax fairness.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 16:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017