Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City seeking to commission dozens of murals citywide
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Muraks are nice....but hiw about sine nice sculptual pieces....maybe sine second hand boteros

Posted on: 2018/6/9 10:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Canvs App spotlights Jersey City's public art | Logged On

By Troy Dreier/For the Jersey Journal

Thanks to a program from the mayor's office, gorgeous artist-created murals are popping up in Jersey City faster than a person can keep track of. Luckily, there's an app to help. Available for iOS, free app Canvs (www.canvsart.com) helps users discover and track impressive street art from coast to coast—but it got its start here in Jersey.

The app began as a passion project for Ralph André, an advertising creative director. While he loved the murals in his hometown of Jersey City, he found he often didn't know who created them or the story behind them. That curiosity led him to flesh out an app and connect with an iOS developer friend. Canvs launched in the fall of 2016. While the app originally focused on Jersey City, it expanded to other cities last spring.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sey_citys_public_art.html

Posted on: 2018/6/9 4:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/17 16:14
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
dtjcview wrote:
view your work as "squiggly crap".

Thanks. Bless your soul.

Quote:
VA2015 wrote:
We're all just threatened by their prolific thesaurus usage. It's so dangerous.

Ah, the internets.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 6:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCAI wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I wouldn't mind this mural in JC !

Resized Image

I agree with your sentiment completely.
But politics in art has much more of an impact when it is metaphorical.
The art theory of today emphasizes the ironic and the literal, what this basically does is serves the people you despise.
Because after the one-trick message is applied, that's it, there's nothing more to it.
There is no further analysis.

Here is an example of political art that I do, all of these pieces are on exhibit at the Atrium Gallery right now.
Tyranny of Freedom and Age of Decadence are reserved for a featured exhibit at Maxwells the moment this exhibit is finished.
Tyranny of Freedom, Age of Decadence, Age of Decadence (Study) were exhibited in the summer at City Hall of Jersey City
in a 2-person exhibit on the 3rd floor.

Resized Image

Tyranny of Freedom. Oil on Steel, Electronic Components, Crystals. 4' x 3'.

Resized Image

Tyranny of Freedom (Study). Artist Crayon on Paper. 18" x 24".

This painting has a reflection of today's American government on a steady trajectory based on its behavior today into the future.
An American government with an open "resistance is futile. you will be assimilated" policy mentality.
Which is pretty much the mentality today, but just more subversive.
Just take a look at what our government and NATO does in Ukraine for example.

Resized Image

Lord Machine. Oil on Steel, Electronic Components, Crystals. 4' x 3'.

Resized Image

Lord Machine (Study). Ink on Paper. 18" x 24".

This painting is a play on the old master paintings of lords and nobility.
It's a reflection of today's nobles and oligarchs, the corporate people you speak of.
Thinking of a ruthless futuristic, abomination of a machine as a lord, an oligarch.
Not much different than what we have today I guess.

Resized Image

Age of Decadence. Oil on Canvas. 4' x 3'.

Resized Image

Age of Decadence (Study). Artist Crayon on Paper. 18" x 24".

This painting is about the intellectual, cultural, and moral decay of a society.
A disgusting, incompetent blob-like thing with far-reaching tentacle - like limbs.
Not much different than the oligarchs you speak of.
Agents of corruption.
Agents of decadence.

That's the whole point of kitsch, grafitti, and street art. It doesn't want us to think deeper.
It's a deception just as much as these oligarchs you speak of. It's a logo. A one-trick pony.
You can still look at these paintings and drawings I just posted and still come up with more interpretations, more analysis.
That's what separates mediocrity from high art. The art world is in lock-step with the oligarchs you speak of...by dumbing down the population.
Make the population stupid and you can make them believe and go along with anything.
Next time an art historian tries to convince you that they understand art better than you...well...they don't.
They just make it appear that way.

True art is dangerous. That's why the art establishment doesn't want to promote it.

I liked FABs quote better than your squiggly crap.

Go research NLP, empathy, etc - and perhaps you'll get why people without your talents - like me - view your work as "squiggly crap". But hey - I woulda said the same of Guernica.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
You're an agent of Narcissism whose work isn't good enough to stand on its own without excessively verbose pseudo-intellectual "philosophical essays? lecturing viewers about what they're supposed to perceive.

+1.

We're all just threatened by their prolific thesaurus usage. It's so dangerous.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The city can dedicate an area for murals that have a political message or an opportunity for individuals to protest a point of view.
The first mural could depict how society wants a review of police powers of restraint / arrest of offenders - what force can be used.

At the moment use of force policies / procedures and legislation via a grand jury deems that all the recent actions of police lawful - noting that these individual officers did not breach any law or use excessive force.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 23:03
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You have to use the system in order to destroy the system.

Actually what you wrote is the exact opposite of what I achieve. Anyone can see what they want in my work because it's not literal.

But of course, artists are not supposed to understand art. We're supposed to be one-trick monkeys performing tricks, drueling and sitting around being good followers waiting for someone like you to come around, recognize us, and pat us on the head telling us how good we are for following the rules.

Yeah, these ideas are dangerous. Which is obviously why they make you so angry.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

JCAI wrote:
You're an illusionist and we are agents of chaos.

You're an agent of Narcissism whose work isn't good enough to stand on its own without excessively verbose pseudo-intellectual "philosophical essays? lecturing viewers about what they're supposed to perceive.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

+1.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCAI wrote:
You're an illusionist and we are agents of chaos.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 14:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No, my mediocre friend. I'm not parading old ideas. I am talking about new ideas. Ideas that are obviously threatening to you.

The reason we, the artists, will win and you, the illustrators, the makers of kitsch, the promoters of kitsch, will lose is because of one simple idea:

Chaos is greater than an illusion...

You're an illusionist and we are agents of chaos. We are not the deceivers.

What you don't seem to understand is art always evuentually correlates with science. Now you can resort to insults all you want. But one thing is for sure, I'm not the one being a fool. The garbage you espouse does nothing to address technology. Now who is unconnected?

And one thing you simply cannot comprehend apparently is that fine art is about the how...not the what.

By the way, your pretentiousness should take a look at Friedrich Nietzche. His concept of the ubermensch was of the person who rises above mediocrity, above the values of the masses (that's you) and spreads enlightenment. That's what we artists do...we spread enlightenment. You however, are an agent of decadence. People like you corrupt everything you touch.

You remind me of this curator I know of who literally markets himself as one "who spreads light where there is darkness", it's even on his website, and he is probably one of the worst cut-throats I've met.

Btw, that was really an eye sore. Did you really need to rape everyone's mind with that awful stuff you just posted?

Oh don't worry, we the artists will be toppling your decadent empire soon. And there really isn't anything you can do to stop it. It's inevitable. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
YE OLDE SWITCHAROO
I really don't care whether or not you (JCAI) like graffiti or street art. But you clearly don't know much about it. If you're going to criticize, do it from a position of knowledge, not self-regarding ignorance. And, please, stop parading century-old cliches as though they are profound truths you came up with only yesterday.

As for the "art world," sure it's corrupt. Is the Pope Catholic? What else is new? And that art world is not in the least threatened by your abstractions, even with the added electronics and crystals. When City Hall hung your paintings it was not striking a brave blow for aesthetic freedom, much less poking a stick in the eye of the Mayor's oligarchic backers.

Your prose is out there floating on a cloud of its own, blissfully unconnected either to the world or even to your art. As far as I can tell, it's pure unadulterated nonsense, albeit a bit clumsy.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
YE OLDE SWITCHAROO IMGP3062 This painting is a play on the old master paintings of lords and nobility. It's a reflection of today's nobles and oligarchs, the corporate people you speak of. Thinking of a ruthless futuristic, abomination of a machine as a lord, an oligarch. Not much different than what we have today I guess. eye sore / trak am7 This painting is about the intellectual, cultural, and moral decay of a society. A disgusting, incompetent blob-like thing with far-reaching tentacle - like limbs. Not much different than the oligarchs you speak of. Agents of corruption. Agents of decadence. IMGP3081rd That's the whole point of kitsch, grafitti, and street art. It doesn't want us to think deeper. It's a deception just as much as these oligarchs you speak of. It's a logo. A one-trick pony. The art world is in lock-step with the oligarchs you speak of...by dumbing down the population. Make the population stupid and you can make them believe and go along with anything. Next time JCAI tries to convince you that they understand art better than you...well...they don't. They just make it appear that way. * * * * * * I really don't care whether or not you (JCAI) like graffiti or street art. But you clearly don't know much about it. If you're going to criticize, do it from a position of knowledge, not self-regarding ignorance. And, please, stop parading century-old cliches as though they are profound truths you came up with only yesterday. As for the "art world," sure it's corrupt. Is the Pope Catholic? What else is new? And that art world is not in the least threatened by your abstractions, even with the added electronics and crystals. When City Hall hung your paintings it was not striking a brave blow for aesthetic freedom, much less poking a stick in the eye of the Mayor's oligarchic backers. Your prose is out there floating on a cloud of its own, blissfully unconnected either to the world or even to your art. As far as I can tell, it's pure unadulterated nonsense, albeit a bit clumsy.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 11:30

Edited by stc4blues on 2014/12/31 11:58:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Resized Image

I agree with your sentiment completely.
But politics in art has much more of an impact when it is metaphorical.
The art theory of today emphasizes the ironic and the literal, what this basically does is serves the people you despise.
Because after the one-trick message is applied, that's it, there's nothing more to it.
There is no further analysis.

Here is an example of political art that I do, all of these pieces are on exhibit at the Atrium Gallery right now.
Tyranny of Freedom and Age of Decadence are reserved for a featured exhibit at Maxwells the moment this exhibit is finished.
Tyranny of Freedom, Age of Decadence, Age of Decadence (Study) were exhibited in the summer at City Hall of Jersey City
in a 2-person exhibit on the 3rd floor.

Resized Image

Tyranny of Freedom. Oil on Steel, Electronic Components, Crystals. 4' x 3'.

Resized Image

Tyranny of Freedom (Study). Artist Crayon on Paper. 18" x 24".

This painting has a reflection of today's American government on a steady trajectory based on its behavior today into the future.
An American government with an open "resistance is futile. you will be assimilated" policy mentality.
Which is pretty much the mentality today, but just more subversive.
Just take a look at what our government and NATO does in Ukraine for example.

Resized Image

Lord Machine. Oil on Steel, Electronic Components, Crystals. 4' x 3'.

Resized Image

Lord Machine (Study). Ink on Paper. 18" x 24".

This painting is a play on the old master paintings of lords and nobility.
It's a reflection of today's nobles and oligarchs, the corporate people you speak of.
Thinking of a ruthless futuristic, abomination of a machine as a lord, an oligarch.
Not much different than what we have today I guess.

Resized Image

Age of Decadence. Oil on Canvas. 4' x 3'.

Resized Image

Age of Decadence (Study). Artist Crayon on Paper. 18" x 24".

This painting is about the intellectual, cultural, and moral decay of a society.
A disgusting, incompetent blob-like thing with far-reaching tentacle - like limbs.
Not much different than the oligarchs you speak of.
Agents of corruption.
Agents of decadence.

That's the whole point of kitsch, grafitti, and street art. It doesn't want us to think deeper.
It's a deception just as much as these oligarchs you speak of. It's a logo. A one-trick pony.
You can still look at these paintings and drawings I just posted and still come up with more interpretations, more analysis.
That's what separates mediocrity from high art. The art world is in lock-step with the oligarchs you speak of...by dumbing down the population.
Make the population stupid and you can make them believe and go along with anything.
Next time an art historian tries to convince you that they understand art better than you...well...they don't.
They just make it appear that way.

True art is dangerous. That's why the art establishment doesn't want to promote it.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 6:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/12/31 4:42
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/23 15:23
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
I personally don't have an artistic opinion/critique for any of the mural initiatives I've seen downtown or otherwise in JC. What I can tell you, as a resident with a backyard facing an alley with many murals and cleanups organized, it is for the better.

Anything, and I mean anything, composed to look at, is better than racial slurs and 3AM "throwies" comprised of single line unintelligible wisps of spray paint.

I participated in the cleanup of my alley (firelane), which was organized by the city, primer paint donated and building owners asked for permission. We cleared out truckloads of garbage, glass, debris, furniture, needles etc. In a year there are many murals up, which are nice to look at. People walk their dogs and stop to take pictures. 3AM "throwies" and the always clever "poop f***" tags do not occur on the murals, they occur on the buildings of people who objected to the murals. Keep it up please.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 22:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
VA2015 wrote:
I would not use any of those adjectives in this situation but it's certainly clear you believe in what you're doing.

I would. Because we are not the patron saints of mediocrity...

Mediocrity can't win on merit so it has to resort to other tactics...

Making artists submissive to a group mentality and becoming a lap dog of the institution is how graffiti / street art has been able to thrive.

The Jersey City Artist Initiative has a message for those who support and finance mediocrity. We'll be toppling your empire soon :)

Posted on: 2014/12/30 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCAI wrote:

We are quite aware that what we do is appealing, controversial, dangerous, stimulating. The art world is a game, we just play the game without following the rules. And we're pretty good at it.

I would not use any of those adjectives in this situation but it's certainly clear you believe in what you're doing.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 19:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
VA2015 wrote:
Bashing EITHER street art or graffiti is foolish

We don't accept illustrators...so how would that be foolish. JCAI is non-commercial.

We are quite aware that what we do is appealing, controversial, dangerous, stimulating. The art world is a game, we just play the game without following the rules. And we're pretty good at it.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, I don't know who is behind this "artist initiative" but after seeing This Post I have two thoughts:

1. Your organization's promotional art is really...not attractive (to my eye) and more importantly does not appear professionally done.

2. It's also needlessly confrontational (giving "F" grades to galleries, even if deserved, is not great marketing)

3. I am not an artist or curator and even I know the difference between street art and graffiti

4. Bashing EITHER street art or graffiti is foolish if you are an "artists initiative." They are some of the most visible and accessible (literally) forms of art right now.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 18:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

TheJSQuare wrote:
wow, the JCAI pretty much lost all credibility in two posts.

You should see his whining and shit talking on Twitter. For someone trying to start an art group he really excels at alienating people.

Not taking it from the ruthless art world doesn't equate to 'whining', alienating, or 'talking'.

Btw, if you are so easily offended so far, you should read my philosophical essays published on the site. At this rate, if you read them, you might need a parachute.

Welcome to the real world. The art world isn't as cozy and lovy-dovy as it appears on the surface. Just because we don't play ball, doesn't mean you need to throw a fit over it.

I get it. You like the way things are. Good luck with that.

Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
ignorance about graffiti is embarrassment

Yeah, graffiti isn't that hard to figure out...it's not even offensive, it's just really really awful. Illustrational, low-middle brow, marketable...

There's a reason the institution recognizes people like Banksy, because it gives them enough power to recognize artists only up to a certain point and also enough power to dismiss the artist...who go with the marketable flow...

Posted on: 2014/12/29 18:36

Edited by JCAI on 2014/12/29 19:06:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheJSQuare wrote:

You should see his whining and shit talking on Twitter. For someone trying to start an art group he really excels at alienating people.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 17:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/1 21:19
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/29 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Please don't pretend to understand the nature of painting more than me because you will end up embarrassing yourself.

Skilled painting and drawing actually has more to do with your wrist...not your hands.

Spray paint = No brushwork. No brushwork = no mark = no uniqueness.

What about the forearm?

& surely you don't believe that brushwork is a guarantee of "uniqueness."

In any event your ignorance about graffiti is embarrassment enough for the both of us. Most of the city-commissioned murals have nothing to do w/ graffiti, nor does Banksy. Associating Banksy with graffiti is a mistake on the order of associating L?ger with impressionism.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCAI wrote:
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Quote:

JCAI wrote:
...Don't see any harm in using oil paint instead of this spray paint 'stuff', no brushwork, no uniqueness?.

Uniqueness comes from the hand, not the brush.

Please don't pretend to understand the nature of painting more than me because you will end up embarrassing yourself.

Skilled painting and drawing actually has more to do with your wrist...not your hands.

In other words, it's spam, repetitive kitsch.

The brain would have gotten my vote.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 14:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Quote:

JCAI wrote:
...Don't see any harm in using oil paint instead of this spray paint 'stuff', no brushwork, no uniqueness?.

In other words, it's spam, repetitive kitsch.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCAI wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/29 9:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The City of Philadelphia has wonderful murals that tells the story of the city and its people. I still cannot figure out the meaning of some of the art from JC. The robot mural is weird.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=p ... DC8C897D77327&FORM=IQFRBA

Posted on: 2014/12/29 2:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My issue with the 'murals' is they look more like graffiti and low - middle brow 'stuff' than actual murals.

Don't see any harm in using oil paint instead of this spray paint 'stuff', no brushwork, no uniqueness.

Oh and Bansky is a hack as much as Damien Hirst or Jeff Koonz, Shephard Ferry.

It's always about the artist being submissive to either a group mentality or to the institution. Graffiti is about logos and making artists submissive to the group mentality.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/12/17 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Walls Showcase International Street Artists

NJTV News 12-15-14
By Maddie Orton -Arts Correspondent

It could be a scary proposition for building owners: donate a wall and get a free mural of whatever the artist wants. But Jersey City-focused street art group Savage Habbit has property owners lining up to turn their fa?ade into a canvas.

?It was definitely a lot of no?s in the beginning, of saying ?No, I don?t understand why you want to paint a mural on my property? and they think there?s strings attached,? said Savage Habbit owner/curator Inez Gradzki. ?But after doing a few here and there, people started seeing that visual portfolio really speaks for itself.?

Gradzki runs Savage Habbit with the help of her artist fianc?e. It?s a project of passion ? they both have full-time jobs. But bringing great street art to Jersey City is a priority. So much so that they house artists to facilitate their visits.

Read more:
http://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/ ... rnational-street-artists/

Posted on: 2014/12/16 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
So right Rich, so right, we have tired being slashed and garbage all over the place and Steve is helping out his developer friends with murals downtown.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 17:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017