Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Plastic bag bans coming to Hoboken, Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:

But seriously, is the site of the project going to be in NJ?

The plan is NYC first, which has a far worse problem with municipal waste and sludge than NJ. NYC plans to be 'zero landfill use' by year 2030 and wants to have only single stream collection (one truck picks up everything instead of separate pickups for paper, cans/bottles, regular trash). So far, they are nowhere near of meeting those goals. Plus, the trash export costs have exploded ($400 million a year starting in 2019).

Right now, NYC is 100% dependent on landfills as far away as Arkansas or use waste to energy incinerators here in NJ and upstate NY. Remember the big dust-up about the garbage transfer station proposed for Greenville yards? That was part of NYC plan to send trash to the Covanta incinerator in Newark.

Plus NY state is looking at a potential electric grid collapse once Indian Point shuts down in a few years. New England is in even worse shape. The New England grid was within days of collapse during the cold snap late last December through early January. The power plants couldn't get enough natural gas and switched over to oil. Oil reserved dropped by 60% or so because the fuel was being used up faster than it could be imported. NY has the same issue.. lack of gas pipeline capacity.

The plant proposed can make electricity, liquid fuels, or renewable natural gas (or combination thereof).

There is a site in Hudson County that looks interesting (not in Jersey City) to setup shop.

Posted on: 2018/6/29 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
So basically, anything related to waste is in my morning news feed.

This website is a good place to start your day, then. *sad trombone sound*

But seriously, is the site of the project going to be in NJ?

Posted on: 2018/6/29 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc201jc wrote:
i know you can recycle plastic water bottles, but i dont think you can recycle plastic bags right?

Plastic that is a 'thermoplastic' can technically be melted back down and reused. This includes the poly bags you get at the store. The problem is even a little bit of contamination can ruin a batch of plastic.

For example: If even a few percent by weight of #5 plastic ends up with #1 and #2, the batch is completely ruined. I had this happen years back when using decking made from recycled plastic. The deck boards shattered when they were drilled into. The manufacturer sent replacements and explained their last batch of plastic scrap was contaminated from the supplier.

Contamination can also be from food waste, grease, or anything else that gets mixed in with what you are trying to recycle. Whether is be plastic or paper. For example, pizza boxes are generally not recyclable.

China put a near total ban* on scrap imports (includes plastic, paper, and electronic waste) because the trash was being separated by hand. The non-recyclable stuff was being dumped in rivers, burned, or ended up in the bellies of grazing animals. It was an environmental disaster.

* China requires all scrap imported be 99.5% free of contamination.

Resized Image

Vietnam just stopped imports. In Thailand, there are 400 containers of scrap plastic, paper, and electronic waste that have been blocked by Thai customs. Some of those containers are now coming back to the USA. The Thais freaked out over practices like burning the electronic waste (with no environmental controls) to get recover the metals. The air around these plants became toxic.

With the exception of cardboard and metals (aluminum cans), recycling in the USA, Europe, and Australia has been reliant on shipping to the third world. That is now ending.

BTW: If you are wondering why I follow this news... I am on a project via work to locate a site and build a plant that resolves the above recycling issues. So basically, anything related to waste is in my morning news feed.

Posted on: 2018/6/29 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc201jc wrote:
i know you can recycle plastic water bottles, but i dont think you can recycle plastic bags right?

You can, but the problem is that plastic waste in the United States just isn't being recycled anymore. China decided to stop accepting foreign plastic for recycling and the US doesn't have the infrastructure to handle the waste, so basically everything you put in your recycling bin is winding up in the landfill anyway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/cli ... fills-plastic-papers.html

Posted on: 2018/6/29 14:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/6/29 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The worse problem is water bottles, which this ban does not attack.

Posted on: 2018/6/29 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Some here might find this interesting (via Wattsupwiththat.com):

SAVE THE OCEANS! STOP RECYCLING PLASTICS!

https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploads/2018/06/Save-the-oceans.pdf

* Most of the plastic waste comes from just a few countries, mostly in Asia and Africa.

* 25% is ?leakage? from Asian waste management processes ? the rest is waste that has never been collected, but is simply thrown into rivers.

* But European countries ship inject huge quantities of waste into Asian waste management streams, ostensibly for recycling. As much as 20% ? millions of tons every year ? ends up in the oceans and will continue to do so.

* Since the Chinese banned waste imports at the start of the year, shipments have been diverted to other Asian countries with even weaker environmental controls (Figure 1).

* EU recycling is therefore a major contributor to marine waste and increasing recycling will therefore simply increase marine litter.

Posted on: 2018/6/29 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com
The Jersey Journal

Plastic bag bans have now been adopted by Jersey City's and Hoboken's councils, just as New Jersey prepares to stop municipalities from enacting local bans.

Both measures, which passed with unanimous support, would largely require retailers to provide only reusable and/or recyclable paper bags to customers. There are exemptions, including bags to wrap newspapers, dry cleaning items, frozen foods, meat and fish.

More

Posted on: 2018/6/29 1:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/24 21:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I wish 60 Minutes and other programs basically PBS would run their old shows where activists come on television telling the public to abandon paper and use plastic. They said, "We are harming the planet,"

yep and at one time cigarettes were healthy lol

stop acting low IQ. it's called evolving. try to keep up.

Posted on: 2018/6/25 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wish 60 Minutes and other programs basically PBS would run their old shows where activists come on television telling the public to abandon paper and use plastic. They said, "We are harming the planet,"

Posted on: 2018/6/23 11:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was at the caucus meeting, it is for all items. There will be plastic for produce, but those things do fall out or there are no plastic for produce available. There are recalls of vegetables all the time due to bacteria outbreaks. JC received state funding recently for HIV, Stds, and TB listed in the agenda. We have a large population needing this service. I am pointing out that population need to be careful. So do people undergoing cancer treatment. They have a weak immune system so they must be careful and wash their cloth bags.

The "Eww it's dirty" hang-ups are why we have so much plastic waste.

Posted on: 2018/6/22 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Another tax, and another reason why people are fleeing the State of New Jersey.

Posted on: 2018/6/22 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This makes a whole lot more sense than a ban on plastic bags.

funny, how things finally come around - http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... es-would-not-be-affected/

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
By Michael Sol Warren mwarren@njadvancemedia.com,
NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

In the midst of Trenton's swirling budget debate, New Jersey drew one step closer to becoming the first state to impose state-wide fees on single-use plastic and paper bags.

On Thursday night, state lawmakers approved a five-cent fee for every bag handed out at chain supermarkets and retailers. The measure applies to both paper and plastic bags. The goal of the fees is to discourage the use of single-use plastic bags and push consumers towards reusable bags instead.

"Most stores have made the change and now provide more environmentally friendly bags for customers," said Assemblywoman Valerie Vainieri Huttle (D-Bergen), the sponsor of the Assembly bill. "This bill encourages more stores to get on board and move away from using the bags that are harmful to the environment."

The bill now heads to Gov. Phil Murphy's desk.

"Governor Murphy will carefully consider any legislation that aims to protect the environment in New Jersey," said Dan Bryan, a spokesman for the Governor.
https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018 ... 2box_nj-homepage-featured

Posted on: 2018/6/22 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Michael Sol Warren mwarren@njadvancemedia.com,
NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

In the midst of Trenton's swirling budget debate, New Jersey drew one step closer to becoming the first state to impose state-wide fees on single-use plastic and paper bags.

On Thursday night, state lawmakers approved a five-cent fee for every bag handed out at chain supermarkets and retailers. The measure applies to both paper and plastic bags. The goal of the fees is to discourage the use of single-use plastic bags and push consumers towards reusable bags instead.

"Most stores have made the change and now provide more environmentally friendly bags for customers," said Assemblywoman Valerie Vainieri Huttle (D-Bergen), the sponsor of the Assembly bill. "This bill encourages more stores to get on board and move away from using the bags that are harmful to the environment."

The bill now heads to Gov. Phil Murphy's desk.

"Governor Murphy will carefully consider any legislation that aims to protect the environment in New Jersey," said Dan Bryan, a spokesman for the Governor.
https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018 ... 2box_nj-homepage-featured

Posted on: 2018/6/22 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was at the caucus meeting, it is for all items. There will be plastic for produce, but those things do fall out or there are no plastic for produce available. There are recalls of vegetables all the time due to bacteria outbreaks. JC received state funding recently for HIV, Stds, and TB listed in the agenda. We have a large population needing this service. I am pointing out that population need to be careful. So do people undergoing cancer treatment. They have a weak immune system so they must be careful and wash their cloth bags.

Posted on: 2018/6/19 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
JC is on the receiving list of monies from different agencies because some people here have TB, HIV, and STD and their immune system is compromise. A simple food virus can do them in. This is also a problem for cancer patients.

Guacamole Known Cause of AIDs

Posted on: 2018/6/19 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People who use cloth bags should wash them often. Milk, meat and fish should not be in the same bag as fresh produce. JC is on the receiving list of monies from different agencies because some people here have TB, HIV, and STD and their immune system is compromise. A simple food virus can do them in. This is also a problem for cancer patients.

I don't think the ban will affect farmers markets, fruit and vegetable stores, or the produce isles.

Posted on: 2018/6/19 1:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
People who use cloth bags should wash them often. Milk, meat and fish should not be in the same bag as fresh produce. JC is on the receiving list of monies from different agencies because some people here have TB, HIV, and STD and their immune system is compromise. A simple food virus can do them in. This is also a problem for cancer patients.

Posted on: 2018/6/19 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

oreoz wrote:
Quote:

baxtyre wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
I hate this idea, it's the people who have to walk numerous blocks home after a long day of work with multiple bags of groceries that suffer the most from this. Hopefully they remember the same politicians that screwed them over with this idiotic ban the next election.

You act like the sky is falling. It's not very difficult to buy a reusable bag and keep it with you. Here, I found a small, affordable one for you already --> baggu.com/collections/reusable-bags

I was in Morocco recently where they've also banned plastic bags. They just had cloth ones instead, so no problems really.

I doubt they pick up after their dogs in Moracco

Posted on: 2018/6/18 23:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/3 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

baxtyre wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
I hate this idea, it's the people who have to walk numerous blocks home after a long day of work with multiple bags of groceries that suffer the most from this. Hopefully they remember the same politicians that screwed them over with this idiotic ban the next election.

You act like the sky is falling. It's not very difficult to buy a reusable bag and keep it with you. Here, I found a small, affordable one for you already --> baggu.com/collections/reusable-bags

I was in Morocco recently where they've also banned plastic bags. They just had cloth ones instead, so no problems really.

Posted on: 2018/6/18 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I have been using baggu for years because I walk over a mile home with groceries. They hold more than a grocery store plastic bag so you don't need as many too. Seriously, end the pity party.

Posted on: 2018/6/18 20:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/12/26 1:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:

Posted on: 2018/6/18 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The worse polluters of plastic bags are Asian countries. https://www.audubon.org/news/these-5-c ... biggest-plastic-polluters

Posted on: 2018/6/16 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure if the ban is all encompassing but I asked a bodega owner about it and had no idea of it. When I told him he just laughed and said it would never be enforced.

Posted on: 2018/6/16 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/6/16 10:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I use a cloth tote. Its re-usable. Most of the stores I grocery shop at uses paper shopping bags.
Anyway Banning is one thing enforcing is another. Lets see.

Posted on: 2018/6/9 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I remember the activists going to television in the 1960s urging people to use plastic. They said the public was hurting the rain forest by using paper bags. I was skeptical at first since the bags look flimsy but unlike paper, plastic bags did not come apart in the rain. I do remember chasing can goods when a sudden storm came up and the wet paper bag fell apart.

Posted on: 2018/6/8 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
So I guess in the near future, I will be buying boxes of small plastic trash bags. I re-use my shopping bags as trash liners and for other purposes.

I do the same, and use reusable bags, but I think we're in the minority. I suspect the vast majority of plastic bags go right into the trash.

Posted on: 2018/6/8 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So shoprite is going to stop using plastic bags? I'll believe that when I see it.

Posted on: 2018/6/8 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]
Same here. I wonder if instead of a heavy handed approach like banning plastic bags, perhaps stores could be asked to enable customers to reuse, return, and/or recycle their plastic bags.

The ocean pollution issues are largely due to the third world (parts of Asia in particular) that lacking landfill space, just dump their trash in the ocean. Indiscriminate ocean dumping was common practice in NYC until NJ sued to get it to stop (way back in the 1920). Everything from melon rinds to dead horses were washing up on the NJ shore... which was bad for business.

The reusable bags are not the most sanitary thing in the world and have been linked to an increase in food poisoning.

We do have a litter issue in Jersey City. This is a cultural problem. We will just replace plastic with paper trash. Plastic grocery bags btw actually break down faster than paper, when exposed to sunlight (UV). If trash is being properly disposed of, being made of plastic, paper, or fairy dust isn't going to be an issue.

Recycling of plastic an industry in crisis mode right now. A lot of what is being collected is being put into landfills or incinerated. China absorbed about 60% of all the plastic collected in the world for recycling. They pretty much banned the importation of scrap plastic (and a lot of paper) starting this January. The recycling industry was causing them all sorts of major environmental issues.

Its easier / cheaper / cleaner to make new plastic, with the raw material sources here in the USA (made from cracking ethane, which we have lots of in the Marcellus and Utica shale deposits).

Posted on: 2018/6/8 18:05

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017