Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
49 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 47

Monroe, Ralph_Abutts, more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 3 »


Re: New Amazon HQ
#87
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4493
Offline
There was no affordable housing when the Dutch and English and yes, some of my ancestors were here since both parents have some native American blood. My mother, can claim Chatow and my father can claim, Cheyenne.

Posted on: 6/18 13:11
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#86
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/6/9 5:49
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 70
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
... This is due to legal and illegal immigration. Immigrants go to cities, the reason for the homeless people in many areas.


.. and I take you are here since before Dutch and English came, eh?

Posted on: 6/17 18:40
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#85
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/14 19:28
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 171
Offline
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Sorry pooh,

That was the wrong article. This one makes it clearer:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news ... 8-dispensaries/684484002/


Well pooh,

Looks closer than you thought eh?

Any comment?

Posted on: 6/13 19:07
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#84
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/14 19:28
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 171
Offline
Sorry pooh,

That was the wrong article. This one makes it clearer:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news ... 8-dispensaries/684484002/

Posted on: 6/12 18:01
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#83
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3486
Offline
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
It's really too bad that JC won't get the nod, but I really believe that the voracious appetite of the politicians in New Jersey would set off alarms with Bezo's search crew.
Well, at least we've got a hundred marijuana stores opening soon with a projected billion in taxes generating. That should help the financing of government somewhat.


I truly hope that last line was an attempt at sarcasm. New Jersey will not be seeing a windfall of billions due to legalized weed any time soon, or ever. The way things are playing out, it seems like NYS will beat NJ to legalization.


How do I know? I read it in the daily news (to quote an old tune):

http://www.nj.com/marijuana/2018/04/w ... in_new_nj_medical_ma.html


Do you understand that there is a difference between legalization of recreational marijuana use and legal medical marijuana? The latter is already a reality, while the former is the type of legislation that could bring tax revenue.

Posted on: 6/12 16:51
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#82
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/14 19:28
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 171
Offline
A new twist in the Seattle / Amazon kerfuffle:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/12/news/ ... zon-tax-repeal/index.html

Posted on: 6/12 15:54
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#81
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/14 19:28
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 171
Offline
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
It's really too bad that JC won't get the nod, but I really believe that the voracious appetite of the politicians in New Jersey would set off alarms with Bezo's search crew.
Well, at least we've got a hundred marijuana stores opening soon with a projected billion in taxes generating. That should help the financing of government somewhat.


I truly hope that last line was an attempt at sarcasm. New Jersey will not be seeing a windfall of billions due to legalized weed any time soon, or ever. The way things are playing out, it seems like NYS will beat NJ to legalization.


How do I know? I read it in the daily news (to quote an old tune):

http://www.nj.com/marijuana/2018/04/w ... in_new_nj_medical_ma.html

Posted on: 6/12 15:47
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#80
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
1/29 14:13
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 8
Offline
Jersey City HQ2!

Posted on: 6/12 14:47
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#79
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3486
Offline
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
It's really too bad that JC won't get the nod, but I really believe that the voracious appetite of the politicians in New Jersey would set off alarms with Bezo's search crew.
Well, at least we've got a hundred marijuana stores opening soon with a projected billion in taxes generating. That should help the financing of government somewhat.


I truly hope that last line was an attempt at sarcasm. New Jersey will not be seeing a windfall of billions due to legalized weed any time soon, or ever. The way things are playing out, it seems like NYS will beat NJ to legalization.

Posted on: 6/12 13:30
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#78
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/14 19:28
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 171
Offline
It's really too bad that JC won't get the nod, but I really believe that the voracious appetite of the politicians in New Jersey would set off alarms with Bezo's search crew.
Well, at least we've got a hundred marijuana stores opening soon with a projected billion in taxes generating. That should help the financing of government somewhat.

Posted on: 6/12 10:09
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#77
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 13:21
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4936
Offline
What’s Inside Jersey City’s Unsuccessful Amazon HQ2 Proposal?
By Jared Kofsky - June 11, 20185


While Jersey City will not be home to Amazon’s second headquarters (HQ2), we now know what exactly was included in City Hall’s unsuccessful pitch to the company.

The process for selecting HQ2, which some have referred to as a PR stunt by the Seattle-based company, involved hundreds of cities and metropolitan areas all over North America submitting proposals last fall. In addition to Jersey City, the Garden State municipalities and counties that sent in applications to Amazon were Atlantic City, Bayonne, Camden County, New Brunswick, Newark, Trenton, and West Windsor, according to Quartz. However, only Newark, which had received the state’s endorsement, was selected by Amazon as one of the 20 finalists.

Through a public records request, Jersey Digs obtained Jersey City’s application, which offered six reasons why Amazon should select the state’s second-largest city. City Hall cited the potential for the company to insert itself into the New York skyline without paying Manhattan prices, stated that there is more than a million square feet of available space and over 20 million square feet at approved development sites, and claimed that “up to $5 billion in economic incentives, up to 30 years of property tax abatement, and no city income tax” would be available.

Plus, the application explained that Jersey City’s location and proximity to Hudson Yards offers “unmatched access and connectivity,” that the city offers a “safe, welcoming, exciting, and thriving community” with high quality of life, and that this is “the most culturally diverse and accepting city” in the United States.

The proposal offered “two prime locations” near the Hudson River waterfront: LeFrak’s 700 Washington Boulevard in Newport and Mack-Cali’s properties at Harborside. The overview stated that the Newport site, which included the northeast quadrant between Newport Green Park and Hoboken Terminal, could have been built to suit by 2020, while the six sites being offered at Harborside could have been built to suit within 24 to 36 months.

The Harborside sites included parts of existing buildings along with properties for new development such as the parking lot at 242 Hudson Street, the parking lot at 20 Christopher Columbus Drive, part of the Harborside Financial Center at 10 Christopher Columbus Drive, and the office building at 2 Montgomery Street.

The transportation section of the proposal mentioned that New York Waterway would have provided Amazon-only ferries along with “any level of customized services required by Amazon.”

M O R E

Posted on: 6/12 8:52
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#76
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/14 19:28
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 171
Offline
As I follow this story I have to wonder: won't Bezos do his homework on New Jersey with its penchant for politicians and their sycophants having their hands out?
Does anyone wonder what happened to that hundred million Zuckerberg gave to Newark a few years back? It was like a bag of potato chips to the hordes waiting in line for their piece of the pie.
My prediction is that Bezos will bypass New Jersey entirely. Murphy has already grabbed from the companies who got a reduction in the corporate rate.

Posted on: 5/21 21:51
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#75
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/5/12 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1452
Offline
The thing not clear is if this employee head tax includes only employees in the city limits... or all the employees on the Amazon payroll. I assume the latter looking at the $47M annual revenue. Did they also include contractors?

And some foolish local people are complaining because they did not stick with the original $540 per head? Did they calculate the unemployment benefits for former employees that can't move with their jobs? Never thought it was possible to be sympathetic to Amazon and Starbucks.


Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Wow!! Gettin' a little loopy:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/15/techn ... fic-newsletter/index.html

Posted on: 5/21 20:07
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#74
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/14 19:28
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 171
Offline

Posted on: 5/21 15:30
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#73
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/14 19:28
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 171
Offline
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

What does affordable housing have to do with this? Most of these employees will be earning 100k+ salaries, I can't imagine affordable housing is high on their list of demands.


I was just following up on the subject the you and Yvonne were having earlier in the thread about population and housing etc.

Posted on: 5/21 8:10
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#72
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 16:13
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5215
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Facts are facts, I just reported the census, instead of name calling I suggest you look up the census record, but if you did that the air would blow out of your argument. You cannot stand to hear the truth. So check the census from the mid-1980s to now.


No one said your factoid was wrong, it's just that you have utterly zero understanding of economics, and the complex relationship between population, demographics, and economic growth.

Posted on: 5/20 19:33
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#71
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4493
Offline
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There is a homeless problem in all urban areas because housing that traditionally went to the poor are being used by others. In the mid-1980s, the US population was 229 million, it is now 329 million, an increase of 100 million. This is due to legal and illegal immigration. Immigrants go to cities, the reason for the homeless people in many areas.


It's because of disgusting NIMBYs like Yvonne that cities can't build enough housing to make market rates affordable to lower-middle class families, regardless of population growth.


Resized Image


High housing cost is primarily a zoning problem.


Facts are facts, I just reported the census, instead of name calling I suggest you look up the census record, but if you did that the air would blow out of your argument. You cannot stand to hear the truth. So check the census from the mid-1980s to now.

Posted on: 5/20 18:27
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#70
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/5/12 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1452
Offline
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

What does affordable housing have to do with this? Most of these employees will be earning 100k+ salaries, I can't imagine affordable housing is high on their list of demands.


Basic economics. Dump a bunch of people into a market at any price point and it will disrupt it. Any increased demand will drive up prices throughout the price range.


Newark is already starting to undergo a building boom that will bring many more market rate units onto the market...and it's not like 100k people would be moving next year, opening a second HQ is a huge process and would likely take them several years to fully build out a new site and actually hire new people. Jersey City thankfully is building like crazy, I suspect a good many would wind up moving here instead of staying in Newark proper.


Not sure you understand the Amazon business model... but it is not built on taking several years to spin up a business location or operation and then hiring talent... if they want to get into fresh food distribution, they buy Whole Foods.

They will have their 7/6 Figure Mgmt Team transferring from Seattle and/or hired locally in place when they announce the winning location. Bezos did not get rich wasting time or money. The new location will have an immediate impact.

Posted on: 5/20 16:32
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#69
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/11/21 17:12
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 263
Offline
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

What does affordable housing have to do with this? Most of these employees will be earning 100k+ salaries, I can't imagine affordable housing is high on their list of demands.


Basic economics. Dump a bunch of people into a market at any price point and it will disrupt it. Any increased demand will drive up prices throughout the price range.


Newark is already starting to undergo a building boom that will bring many more market rate units onto the market...and it's not like 100k people would be moving next year, opening a second HQ is a huge process and would likely take them several years to fully build out a new site and actually hire new people. Jersey City thankfully is building like crazy, I suspect a good many would wind up moving here instead of staying in Newark proper.

Posted on: 5/20 15:14
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#68
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 16:13
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5215
Offline
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

What does affordable housing have to do with this? Most of these employees will be earning 100k+ salaries, I can't imagine affordable housing is high on their list of demands.


Basic economics. Dump a bunch of people into a market at any price point and it will disrupt it. Any increased demand will drive up prices throughout the price range.

Posted on: 5/20 14:30
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#67
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/11/21 17:12
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 263
Offline
Quote:

What does affordable housing have to do with this? Most of these employees will be earning 100k+ salaries, I can't imagine affordable housing is high on their list of demands.

Posted on: 5/20 13:46
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#66
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/14 19:28
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 171
Offline

Posted on: 5/20 11:02
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#65
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/11/9 23:48
From Chilltop, Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 347
Offline
And Trump doesn’t like what WaPo says about him, so he’s trying to pressure USPS to double the shipping fees charged to Amazon.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/18/trump-pr ... hipping-rates-for-amazon/

Posted on: 5/19 20:56
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#64
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/5/15 10:11
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4281
Online
WaPo is certainly a far left slanting paper, as far left as the NY Post us to the right. Bezos hates Trump and the paper pushes the antiTrump agenda Bezos champions.

Posted on: 5/19 14:21
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#63
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 16:13
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5215
Offline
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There is a homeless problem in all urban areas because housing that traditionally went to the poor are being used by others. In the mid-1980s, the US population was 229 million, it is now 329 million, an increase of 100 million. This is due to legal and illegal immigration. Immigrants go to cities, the reason for the homeless people in many areas.


It's because of disgusting NIMBYs like Yvonne that cities can't build enough housing to make market rates affordable to lower-middle class families, regardless of population growth.


Resized Image


High housing cost is primarily a zoning problem.

Posted on: 5/19 13:35
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#62
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/11/21 17:12
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 263
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There is a homeless problem in all urban areas because housing that traditionally went to the poor are being used by others. In the mid-1980s, the US population was 229 million, it is now 329 million, an increase of 100 million. This is due to legal and illegal immigration. Immigrants go to cities, the reason for the homeless people in many areas.


It's because of disgusting NIMBYs like Yvonne that cities can't build enough housing to make market rates affordable to lower-middle class families, regardless of population growth.

Posted on: 5/18 22:35
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#61
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1904
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There is a homeless problem in all urban areas because housing that traditionally went to the poor are being used by others. In the mid-1980s, the US population was 229 million, it is now 329 million, an increase of 100 million. This is due to legal and illegal immigration. Immigrants go to cities, the reason for the homeless people in many areas.

"I'll take stupid hot takes for $100, Alex."

Posted on: 5/18 17:11
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#60
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4493
Offline
There is a homeless problem in all urban areas because housing that traditionally went to the poor are being used by others. In the mid-1980s, the US population was 229 million, it is now 329 million, an increase of 100 million. This is due to legal and illegal immigration. Immigrants go to cities, the reason for the homeless people in many areas.

Posted on: 5/18 17:07
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#59
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1904
Offline
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Meanwhile back in Seattle....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busines ... s-tax-20180515-story.html

I can't believe all the people that want to help Newark at the expense of Seattle... pretty obvious what is going on and its Jeff Bezos shirking his social responsibilities.


Jeff shirking his social responsibilities?

Seattle caused this chronic homeless situation with strict zoning laws and restrictions that stop anything other than luxury housing from being built (sounds familiar).

They created the problem, now they're trying to send the bill to others. Wish I could do that.



Actually.... my post was sarcastic in nature. I was hoping to get some of the left wing / progressive / communists on the site to respond? In typical fashion, they remain silent, because when one of their own (Bezos/WaPo) is caught in an issue wear facts challenge left wing agenda / dogma.

I don't get where you put Bezos as a liberal. He owns the Washington Post but that isn't a "liberal news" outlet. He has very little hand in what is covered. He does what owners should do and let those that do the research take the story where it leads.

In terms of practices and policies, nobody has ever confused Bezos with a liberal. Socially, sure.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Actually.... my post was sarcastic in nature. I was hoping to get some of the left wing / progressive / communists on the site to respond? In typical fashion, they remain silent, because when one of their own (Bezos/WaPo) is caught in an issue wear facts challenge left wing agenda / dogma.


Ah, my bad, sarcasm doesn't travel well over text.


I was quite baffled by the post myself. The sarcasm may have been a little too cloaked. I missed it entirely.

The situation in Seattle and in Portland has gotten quite dire. Aggressive panhandling is quite common, drug addiction is rampant, and both cities have seemingly given up on a real solution to either problem. The previous mayor of Portland didn't even run for reelection. Both cities keep extending protections of the homeless population with policies and edicts that go against the best interests of businesses and other city residents. And, let's be clear, no one is arguing for either city to turn their back on the homeless population, just that it find better (and, effective) ways to address the issues.

Wow. Quite extreme... I know people that live in Portland and Seattle. Your dystopian description is from your mind only.

Posted on: 5/18 16:51
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#58
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/28 17:22
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 615
Offline
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Who knew there was a homeless crisis? The 8 years previous to January 2017 we never heard about such things. The people were living large with free cell phones, free rent and healthcare. If we could have only paid off everyone's tuition debt that would have been the cherry on the progressive agenda.



Quote:

Hamparkvet wrote:
But I thought there was so much winning going on that EVERYONE has a well paying job now?

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Actually.... my post was sarcastic in nature. I was hoping to get some of the left wing / progressive / communists on the site to respond? In typical fashion, they remain silent, because when one of their own (Bezos/WaPo) is caught in an issue wear facts challenge left wing agenda / dogma.


Ah, my bad, sarcasm doesn't travel well over text.


I was quite baffled by the post myself. The sarcasm may have been a little too cloaked. I missed it entirely.

The situation in Seattle and in Portland has gotten quite dire. Aggressive panhandling is quite common, drug addiction is rampant, and both cities have seemingly given up on a real solution to either problem. The previous mayor of Portland didn't even run for reelection. Both cities keep extending protections of the homeless population with policies and edicts that go against the best interests of businesses and other city residents. And, let's be clear, no one is arguing for either city to turn their back on the homeless population, just that it find better (and, effective) ways to address the issues.


Oh that's because this crisis is Trump's fault.

Posted on: 5/17 17:06
Print Top




(1) 2 3 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017