Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 53

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: FULOP, DEAL WITH PEDESTRIAN & BIKE SAFETY!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
City funding around the new auto bridge from Liberty State park onto Jersey Avenue is on the Cty Council agenda tomorrow, APril 11. There are tons of safety issue presented by the new bridge, so if you want to be heard, here's your chance.

Posted on: 2018/4/10 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I wonder if we are about to see a surge in enforcement of traffic violations now that this NYT article has been published:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/nyr ... -city-traffic-deaths.html

While our local rate of traffic fatalities goes up, across the river in NYC it is going in the opposite direction.

Tellingly, nowhere in the article did a JC official suggest a law enforcement role in reduction. JCPD has apparently abdicated traffic enforcement. Anyone know how to find statistics on what cops do all day, like tickets and responses? I can't find anything.

I noticed the same; apparently, the only measures under consideration are redesign of roads and adding some calming measures (like the curb extensions) but ultimately we need to have enforcement that deals with the rampant flaunting of traffic rules, like running red lights, blowing past STOP signs, and failing to yield to pedestrians) but that seems like a third rail that everyone ignores or avoids.

Posted on: 2018/4/10 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I wonder if we are about to see a surge in enforcement of traffic violations now that this NYT article has been published:

While our local rate of traffic fatalities goes up, across the river in NYC it is going in the opposite direction.

Tellingly, nowhere in the article did a JC official suggest a law enforcement role in reduction. JCPD has apparently abdicated traffic enforcement. Anyone know how to find statistics on what cops do all day, like tickets and responses? I can't find anything.

Posted on: 2018/4/10 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/4/10 10:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
As Bohdipooh said, we all know dozens of spots where a cop could write a new one as soon as he finished the last. But they don't. I think part of the problem is even when they do, it takes so damn long for a cop to write a ticket.

I think this could easily be solved with off the shelf technology. You could have a cop sit in car at any stop sign and video 100 cars running it in an hour, then turn the file over to an outside contractor for processing just like the cams. No points, just a big enough fine to matter. Done. Just one cop doing that in 8 different spots per shift, every day, and people will stop running stop signs.

Why productivity at the Parking Authority is so low is a mystery. They have computers to write the tickets fast, as anyone snagged by the trike leading the sweeper knows. I've watched from a restaurant as one ticketed a single car at an intersection parked too close to the curb, and ignored the other 6 that were too close also. Afraid of being too productive and raising expectations?

Posted on: 2018/2/10 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
I agree that giving tickets is a good idea, but unless a cop sees it, he won't do anything about it. You can't just give a cop a license plate.

I'm not arguing against enforcement. I'm trying understands the practicalities, as most people are on their best driving behavior when they see a police car.

A lot about pedestrian and bike safety is about preventing or lowering risks, like enforcing regulations (and ticketing for violations) related to: parking too close to the curb, double parking on bike lanes, parking too close to STOP signs, parking blocking crosswalks. I see cops drive past cars that are clearly in violation of all these things and not bother with ticketing any of them.

As for enforcement of moving violations, you could easily focus on very specific areas that are known for routine violations. If you were to park a cop by some of these areas, he would be printing money in the form of tickets. Prime spots: STOP signs on 1st St (corner of Provost, corner of Grove) or the STOP sign on Grove and 2nd. Or, instead of the twice-a-year enforcement of the NO LEFT TURN on Columbus and Marin, they should be enforcing that regularly.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that giving tickets is a good idea, but unless a cop sees it, he won't do anything about it. You can't just give a cop a license plate.

I'm not arguing against enforcement. I'm trying understands the practicalities, as most people are on their best driving behavior when they see a police car.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Brewster, how is that done? We can't have a cop on every corner, and we got rid of the red light cameras.

But there's no one giving tickets at all. There needs to be a credible deterrent. But any time you try and look at "productivity" of cops you get people howling about ticket quotas. If we rely entirely on "traffic engineering", every single block in the entire city will be stop signs and speed humps. Hoboken and Bayonne do not have cops on every corner, but they give enough tickets that people drive MUCH better there.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, how is that done? We can't have a cop on every corner, and we got rid of the red light cameras.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Hey Steve:

JUST. ENFORCE. EXISTING. TRAFFIC. LAWS.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop signs executive order implementing ‘Vision Zero’ to improve traffic safety

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

“During the past few months, Jersey City has been the scene of a number of tragic traffic fatalities that have each shaken our community and created a desperate need for a solution,” Fulop said in a statement.

“Signing on to ‘Vision Zero’ is our latest, and hopefully our final, initiative to eliminate
traffic fatalities on our city’s roadways. Each and every life that has been lost as a result of a traffic accident is avoidable, and today, we are taking an important step towards building a powerful, data-driven Action Plan to make sure that no more lives will be senselessly lost on our roads.”

http://hudsoncountyview.com/fulop-sig ... o-improve-traffic-safety/

Posted on: 2018/2/9 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City group touts traffic safety progress, but says there's work to be done

Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
on December 14, 2016 at 2:30 PM, updated December 14, 2016 at 6:45 PM

JERSEY CITY -- During a standing room only meeting Tuesday night, local officials and members of a grassroots traffic safety group touted recent efforts to address pedestrian and roadway safety.

"We have asked the city and county government to step up and they have but we also know it's because we have stepped up," said Paul Bellan-Boyer, who founded Safe Streets JC with Kara Hrabosky three years ago.

But group officials were clear that there is more work to be done.

In recent months, there has been growing concern about pedestrian safety on Jersey City streets, especially Kennedy Boulevard. Three people were killed in crashes in a two-week period this year in Jersey City, including an 11-year-old boy who was hit by a bus at Kennedy Boulevard and Neptune Avenue in October.

Safe Streets JC has pushed for a crackdown on speeding and other traffic safety issues. The group's efforts have already resulted in the award of millions of dollars in grant funds to study traffic safety issues and implement changes on Kennedy Boulevard, whose traffic lights have been adjusted to reduce speeding and allow pedestrians more time to cross the four-lane road.

Since local law enforcement ramped up enforcement on Kennedy Boulevard on Oct. 19, nearly 1,200 summonses for moving violations have been issued, including 259 tickets for speeding and 938 for other infractions like reckless driving and distracted driving.

"Enforcement has always been the piece that has been lagging behind and there have been many fatalities, as you know," Hrabosky said at the beginning of the meeting at the Gallo Center in Lincoln Park. She added that Kennedy Boulevard has been named one of New Jersey's most dangerous roads, but also noted that "Our goal is to take this citywide."

With fatalities on the rise, pedestrians will have more time to cross this busy road
With fatalities on the rise, pedestrians will have more time to cross this busy road
Traffic light timing has changed at more than half of Kennedy Boulevard intersections in Jersey City.

Meanwhile, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop, Jersey City Public Safety Director James Shea, and Hudson County Undersheriff Andrew Conti said there has been an increase in enforcement and summonses issued, as well as a newly formed Jersey City Police Department unit dedicated to traffic safety.

While the meeting focused on motorists, Shea noted that "We do see distracted pedestrians becoming more of a factor in some of these collisions, especially those on cell phones."

Hrabosky also noted that enforcement pays high returns because every car pulled over by a cruiser with flashing lights is seen by dozens, if not hundreds of drivers, who are forced to see the impact of breaking driving regulations.

Those in attendance also heard by those impacted most by roadway tragedies, including Alexis, 14, whose brother, George Gonzalez, 11, was struck and killed by a commuter bus on the Boulevard in October.

"It's just hard knowing I am not going to see him," Alexis said to the crowd of some 120 people. "I am going to grow up without him. In my opinion there should be more crossing guards on Kennedy Boulevard. There's just no one watching."

As officials were discussing the traffic safety crackdown, the boy's mother, Judy Gonzalez, clapped and said "Thank you," causing the room to erupt in applause.

Ato Tuazon, of the our Lady of Mercy Chapter of Jersey City Together, complained of traffic safety issues regarding trucks on Route 440 in the area of Society Hill and Country Village.

"Keep in mind that a seemingly minor and insignificant accident can quickly become a matter of life and death," Tuazon said, noting that crashes can block ambulances, fire trucks and police cars heading to emergencies." He also advocated for a continued traffic safety campaign, rather than the "on and off campaigns we conduct when someone dies in an accident."

Fulop said his administration is committed to improving traffic safety and enforcement and noted that the city plans to hire 30 additional crossing guards. He said an issue with traffic safety on Kennedy Boulevard is the closure of the Pulaski Skyway's northbound lanes, which has led to increased traffic on the roadway.

Safe Streets NJ plans a more interactive meeting in February and another meeting with officials in March.

Elected officials attending the meeting included Hudson County Freeholder Bill O'Dea, Jersey City City Council President Rolando Lavarro and Jersey City Councilwoman Joyce Watterman.

Posted on: 2016/12/16 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City officials continue to work on traffic safety after 11-year-old’s death

HUDSON COUNTY VIEW - ByKatherine Guest 

By Katherine Guest/Hudson County View

Tuesday night’s meeting came after Mayor Steven Fulop and Freeholder Bill O’Dea marched with Safe Streets JC in October, part of a push to make John F. Kennedy Boulevard safer.

The march occurred in light of the death of 11 year-old George Gonzalez, who was killed from a jitney bus days earlier.

Alexis Figueroa, 14, the victim’s sister, spoke to the audience of approximately 100 attendees, about the endurance of the roadway tragedy.

Read more:  http://hudsoncountyview.com/jersey-ci ... after-11-year-olds-death/

Posted on: 2016/12/16 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
One night I actually watched as THREE cars went through the red light to make a left - directly in front of a cop, who they actually cut off while doing it - and the cop STILL didn't do anything. There is literally no enforcement whatsoever.

Oh, and busses on northbound JFK, making the right onto Pavonia, will blow through the red light (that is a "no turn on red"), as well - I've been standing there and almost hit, plenty of times.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
2) Stand outside the Stanley Theatre by JSQ and watch the JFK traffic light. EVERY SINGLE TIME, traffic goes through the red light- especially traffic making a south-bound left-hand turn onto Pavonia. Every. Single. Time.

THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY TRAFFIC ENGINEERING!!!

If there is no credible threat of enforcement there will be no compliance. JC drivers have no fear of being ticketed for ignoring traffic signals, stop signs or speeding.

I completely agree with you, which is why Safe Streets JC is pressuring the Mayor to implement consistent enforcement. He's put some in place and its helping. Its our goal to keep this going and get it expanded. (I think the title of this thread stresses that!).

We have a public meeting with the Mayor about this very issue - a commitment to improving enforcement - on Dec. 13. All are welcome, details soon.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
2) Stand outside the Stanley Theatre by JSQ and watch the JFK traffic light. EVERY SINGLE TIME, traffic goes through the red light- especially traffic making a south-bound left-hand turn onto Pavonia. Every. Single. Time.

THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY TRAFFIC ENGINEERING!!!

If there is no credible threat of enforcement there will be no compliance. JC drivers have no fear of being ticketed for ignoring traffic signals, stop signs or speeding.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
2 quick points:

1) JCPD absolutely has summons information available in COMSTAT. If you ever receive a summons and decide to contest it before a judge, the judge will have a printout of everything. I had a very unsympathetic judge use this info awhile back, as she judged against me (I had 2 accidents on the report - both the fault of the other driver, but of course the report doesn't say that).

Posted on: 2016/11/17 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
This is fantastic news, it's a long time in the coming. Small steps forward for a better, safer community.

Posted on: 2016/11/16 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is a really big win for safety improvements on JFK blvd in Jersey City!

Posted on: 2016/11/16 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Due to public pressure, led by Safe Streets JC, this is happening. very happy to finally see this get serious consideration.

Local governments are one step closer to more control of jitney buses

Posted on: 2016/11/15 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Please join our new organization Safe Streets JC. We are working together to improve traffic safety city-wide, and to get the Mayor to make this problem a priority. We would like to see him commit to a real Vision Zero program for Jersey City.

Posted on: 2016/11/6 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
In Western Massachusetts, where I grew up, there are (presumably) the same laws regarding the right-of-way of pedestrians in uncontrolled intersections. When I'm visiting, I see the cars actually stopping when they see us standing on the curb! My mother finds it funny - I'm 55! - that she practically has to take my hand to lead me across the street, since being from Jersey City I'm "what's wrong with this picture? and won't budge.

So everyone knows this is not a New England vs. New Jersey thing, I had the same experience with cars actually stopping in Lambertville last weekend. There is something wrong with Jersey City drivers...

Posted on: 2016/11/6 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
The city needs to put more stop signs and lights downtown and elsewhere.

Today,i was almost hit by a truck while crossing the street within the white lines. When I confronted the driver, he emphasized that there was no stop sign and that I should have waited on the sidewalk. I had to inform him that pedestrians always have right of way. He apologized after several minutes of reflection.

It's unfortunate you had a near miss. And, you were right confront and discuss the situation with the truck driver. But, I must quibble with your next to last sentence: pedestrians don't always have the right of way! Pedestrians always have the right of way at *uncontrolled* intersections.
you are correct...that is actually what i meant given that there was no light.

Posted on: 2016/11/5 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Today,i was almost hit by a truck while crossing the street within the white lines. When I confronted the driver, he emphasized that there was no stop sign and that I should have waited on the sidewalk. I had to inform him that pedestrians always have right of way. He apologized after several minutes of reflection.

It's unfortunate you had a near miss. And, you were right confront and discuss the situation with the truck driver. But, I must quibble with your next to last sentence: pedestrians don't always have the right of way! Pedestrians always have the right of way at *uncontrolled* intersections.

Posted on: 2016/11/5 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/11/4 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very glad to see this lethal problem finally getting the attention it deserves. Please keep it up, Mayor!

Jersey City upping traffic enforcement on busy county road after boy's death

Residents, see what we can do when we all pull together? Now imagine what we could achieve with more of us and more time...

Posted on: 2016/10/20 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Another crash involving a pedestrian. Thankfully, its doesn't sound like they were hurt too badly. Just highlights the continued need for the Mayor to make Traffic Safety a true priority.

Woman hit by car on Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City: cops

Posted on: 2016/10/20 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We're getting a little media traction - NJTV News last night. We need to keep this in front of the Mayor. A few week of blitzes/speed traps are not going to do it.

Rash of Fatalities Spotlights Dangerous Jersey City Roadway

Please sign the Safe Streets JC petition to the Mayor & Council. We need a Vision Zero plan for Jersey City now!

Posted on: 2016/10/19 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, we understand - we did as best as we could with the short time and want to do more with more notice for sure. We had 73 people, though! :D

Posted on: 2016/10/17 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I only heard about the march on JFK on the day of. I feel there must be many others who would have joined in on the march had they had more of a heads-up. I would suggest a follow up march in which more lead time is built in and with more promotion. If your turnout was as strong as it was ( and it WAS I saw pix on facebook, Congratulations!) you will certainly get even more concerned citizens to march. I feel a huge number of people would want to show support for this issue had they known about the march, and would be willing to march in the future.

Posted on: 2016/10/17 15:43

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017