Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Exterior painting on historic district home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
it is unlikely that the historic color charts you're looking at will fall within the compliance of Dan. Hopefully, the existing color of your home will give you most guidance. Some of those clapboard houses are very pretty. I think the folks who live in 8th St between Monmouth and Brunswick are outside of the historic preservation district. So if you live there you may not have to comply. If you are in a historic preservation district, Dan will tell you what color your house has to be. If he is not getting back to you, stop in the office one morning. Squeeky wheel phenomena. Good luck and enjoy.

Posted on: 2018/4/5 16:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/12 19:56
From JERSEY CITY
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks so much for that background and insight! We are in a slightly odd position bc our house is one of the few that is wood instead of brick, so there are a couple different color choices to contend with... We tried reaching out to Dan but haven't gotten a response, so I am just looking at historic color charts to pick color chips for the purposes of the application - I'm not sure how else to go about it to make the process as smooth as possible.

Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
The historic preservation office dictates the color of your house trim. He believes he knows exactly what the original color was and will tell you that you have to paint it that color. So do not be surprised. I do not know what color your house trim is now, but it may or may not be the original color. So please do not be surprised. You may think, "well there are other houses on the block that are the same color as mine, why can't I paint my house the color that it currently is." It doesn't work that way.

Years ago, several members of the Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association, retained the services and reporting of an expert that demonstrated an actual historic color chart that showed that three or four different colors a brick row house could be painted, based upon the color or tint (red) of the brick. This was presented to the historic preservation committee. In objection to this documentation, they presented pictures of recently built houses and said, "we cannot agree with you because we do not want houses that look like these houses in historic neighborhoods."

I share this with you, so you just aren't surprised by the response you may or may not get.

Quote:

lcb333 wrote:
We are in the process of submitting the application right now. Any tips??

Posted on: 2018/4/5 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The historic preservation office dictates the color of your house trim. He believes he knows exactly what the original color was and will tell you that you have to paint it that color. So do not be surprised. I do not know what color your house trim is now, but it may or may not be the original color. So please do not be surprised. You may think, "well there are other houses on the block that are the same color as mine, why can't I paint my house the color that it currently is." It doesn't work that way.

Years ago, several members of the Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association, retained the services and reporting of an expert that demonstrated an actual historic color chart that showed that three or four different colors a brick row house could be painted, based upon the color or tint (red) of the brick. This was presented to the historic preservation committee. In objection to this documentation, they presented pictures of recently built houses and said, "we cannot agree with you because we do not want houses that look like these houses in historic neighborhoods."

I share this with you, so you just aren't surprised by the response you may or may not get.

Quote:

lcb333 wrote:

Posted on: 2018/4/5 14:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JERSEY CITY
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you!

Quote:

Reggay wrote:

Alberto Del Priore Painting Company

316 Dodd Street, East Orange, NJ 07017

Phone: (973) 676 6309 - Fax: (973) 676 8809

Posted on: 2018/4/5 14:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JERSEY CITY
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/4/5 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Make sure to get a "Certificate of No Effect" before you start.

Posted on: 2018/4/4 18:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/12 16:50
Group:
Registered Users

Alberto Del Priore Painting Company

316 Dodd Street, East Orange, NJ 07017

Phone: (973) 676 6309 - Fax: (973) 676 8809

Posted on: 2018/4/4 18:26

Exterior painting on historic district home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JERSEY CITY
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all! I'm looking for recommendations for contractors/painters to paint my home's exterior in the Van Vorst historic district. We have struggled to find viable options via Google. Any recommendations are much appreciated!

Posted on: 2018/4/3 20:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017