Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Battle against the "Bayonne Box" in The Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
yvonne, i thought you might like to know that george washington's tooth is on display at the fraunces tavern museum in manhattan.

Yvonne, I, and George Washington should use capital letters.
better to write: Yvonne, George Washington and I should use capital letters. Note the placement of the word "I"! lol

Posted on: 2018/4/12 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
yvonne, i thought you might like to know that george washington's tooth is on display at the fraunces tavern museum in manhattan.

Yvonne, I, and George Washington should use capital letters.

Posted on: 2018/4/12 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/4/12 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I went to the caucus meeting and this came up. The city is pushing 50 years as the standard for any building in the city to be demolished. It will be a small board, perhaps 3, making that decision. The place was packed with builders.

Posted on: 2018/4/10 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Lawsuit targets Fulop's action on 'Bayonne box' homes

Four companies seeking to build residential homes in the Jersey City Heights want a judge to declare Mayor Steve Fulop's home-demolition executive order invalid.

A lawsuit the four have filed against Jersey City says Fulop is not permitted to halt all demolitions, an action the mayor has said was an effort to curb the construction of so-called "Bayonne boxes." The moratorium, which applies to all one-, two-, three- and four-family homes for the next six months, is causing "irreparable financial harm" to the plaintiffs, the lawsuit alleges.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... argets_fulops_action.html

Posted on: 2018/4/6 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Should Mayor Steve Fulop apologize over an anti-Bayonne tweet?

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop has received some pushback from members of the Bayonne City Council after he poked fun at the Peninsula City.

Fulop, in a tweet, was commenting on a Jersey Journal story about his efforts to curb construction of "Bayonne box"-style homes in Jersey City.

Fulop said, "These were two rhymes about dating but I guess it applies to Bayonne Box architecture as well 1) Exit 14a stay away. 2) If it's in Bayonne leave it alone."

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... gize_over_an_anti-ba.html

Posted on: 2018/4/6 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, there was no reporter from the Jersey Journal or the Reporter for the 3/28 council meeting because city hall was packed with homeowners against this ordinance.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
well, it's about time. i think the city should come up with some rules so that no feels that the rules being applied are arbitrary and capricious.

Posted on: 2018/3/28 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop demolition ban targets 'Bayonne boxes' in Jersey City
Updated 6:07 PM; Posted 5:50 PM

By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com

The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? When Ricardo Da Cruz bought 95 Thorne St. in the Jersey City Heights in January, he envisioned tearing down the two-family house and building a new home in its place.

The front staircase is crumbling, the floor slants and the basement beams are rotting. A small-scale developer who lives in the Heights himself, Da Cruz said he does not believe renovating the home is an option.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2018/3/27 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nicky boy get a life, your every comment is about me and not the issue. That is very unhealthy.

Posted on: 2018/3/25 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Excellent. Another blow to Yvonne?s attempts to reduce density and turn Jersey City into a suburb. Of course I?m sure she will mobilize against this and will regurgitate her lies that amything but a parking lot will destroy the city.

Every thought in your mind is about me, I didn't know you care. I can tell you - you are not on my thought list.

Of course you can?t understand that not everybody wants an ignorant know-nothing like you deciding their zoning and what they are allowed to build for them based on the fact you don?t like paying for parking or sitting in traffic.

I?d rather be called out for excessively trashing you than forcing parking lots on people and claiming you know how to plan a city better than people actually trained in this.

Posted on: 2018/3/25 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Excellent. Another blow to Yvonne?s attempts to reduce density and turn Jersey City into a suburb. Of course I?m sure she will mobilize against this and will regurgitate her lies that amything but a parking lot will destroy the city.

Every thought in your mind is about me, I didn't know you care. I can tell you - you are not on my thought list.

Posted on: 2018/3/24 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2018/3/24 0:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
A Victorian across the street (give or take a house) from the mayors place on Ogden was just demolished for new construction. Walking by, I hoped that since the view from his house will suffer, perhaps motivation to stop the ugly would follow.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
In an odd twist of events... victory is at hand in the Battle Against the Bayonne Box.

From the Mayor's Twitter:
Quote:
For #JerseyCity -I?m signing an exec order 2day stopping JC granting demolition permits on 1-4 family homes unless engineering reports say eminent collapse. Bottom line: we?re losing many of our great/old homes +being replaced w/the architectural marvel known as ?The Bayonne Box?

Modifying the zoning so we no longer get those salmon-colored boxes with pitched roofs and allow 3 and 4-unit town houses to be built instead would be a complete win.

Good job everyone that spoke up.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2018/3/23 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I guess the planning board is granting variances along with the neighbors not disputing the issue.

Posted on: 2018/2/18 8:19
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
is the city now allowing 90% lot coverage with these bayonne boxes. wth. what is the ratioanle for doing this?

Posted on: 2018/2/18 7:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Excellent article in Jersey Digs today... We're stuck with the Bayonne Box. :(

https://jerseydigs.com/bayonne-box-cant-phased-out/

Posted on: 2017/10/19 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I feel like any chance for zoning change would come far too late. Nearly half of the homes on my street in the Heights have been torn down and replaced with Boxes. Shame on Councilman Yun for focusing tons of energy on parking while the character of the community is replaced with identical, pink-salmon Boxes.

I guess we're stuck with the pitched roofs too.

Posted on: 2017/2/22 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Jiuk wrote:
The Heights is really being torn in two directions right about now.
One side is pulling towards cool rehabilitation of older homes and the other towards salmon colored boxes with hideous stainless steel and chrome railings.

I shop in Bayonne a lot and I must say, they do not have the steel and chrome railings. As to why the Planning Board allow this, I cannot say. One of the problems with new construction which happens across JC, there are no set backs. New construction should follow the character of the block and not stick out. Where is the planning in the Planning Board?

I'm not in disagreement with you hear Yvonne. At least one single-family construction.

Posted on: 2017/2/22 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jiuk wrote:
The Heights is really being torn in two directions right about now.
One side is pulling towards cool rehabilitation of older homes and the other towards salmon colored boxes with hideous stainless steel and chrome railings.

I shop in Bayonne a lot and I must say, they do not have the steel and chrome railings. As to why the Planning Board allow this, I cannot say. One of the problems with new construction which happens across JC, there are no set backs. New construction should follow the character of the block and not stick out. Where is the planning in the Planning Board?

Posted on: 2017/1/20 1:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/20 1:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Great point about getting rid of R1. !!!

Posted on: 2017/1/20 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

SuchGreatHeights wrote:
Newish to the Heights, and because of this thread, I've just began to notice these sprinkled around nearly every other block. Is it one particular developer choosing this strange, salmon-colored brick facade? And what's with the chrome railings?

One of the developers I know is Indian... possibly Indian-Muslim. My wife commented that the railing designs reminds her of growing up in Southern Thailand (majority Muslim), as the homes there had same / similar designs / finish choices.

The one Bayonne Box across from my place was actually built pretty well. No cheap fixtures and the floors were NOT pre-finished. It was not your typical crap-cheap construction. The builder was Indian (so were the buyers). I think the place went for around $600k.
to be fair, some of the bayonne boxes can be "ok", but most are fugly...especially the salmon colored ones

Posted on: 2016/12/28 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SuchGreatHeights wrote:
Newish to the Heights, and because of this thread, I've just began to notice these sprinkled around nearly every other block. Is it one particular developer choosing this strange, salmon-colored brick facade? And what's with the chrome railings?

One of the developers I know is Indian... possibly Indian-Muslim. My wife commented that the railing designs reminds her of growing up in Southern Thailand (majority Muslim), as the homes there had same / similar designs / finish choices.

The one Bayonne Box across from my place was actually built pretty well. No cheap fixtures and the floors were NOT pre-finished. It was not your typical crap-cheap construction. The builder was Indian (so were the buyers). I think the place went for around $600k.

Posted on: 2016/12/28 12:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/10 23:57
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/12/28 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Bumping this thread for the new year. Please let's meet with Councilman Yun to at least start discussions on our concerns.

I can't count the number of tear downs in recent weeks for Bayonne Boxes. It's spreading like an epidemic.

Posted on: 2016/12/27 16:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all, this is related--please come to the Jersey City Landmarks Open House this week at the Fox and Crow.

We are an established group that tries to preserve our heritage and work with neighborhoods and communities to be sensitive and careful about needs vs. wants. Here's the information and we would love to see some new faces, and especially hear from some of the very thoughtful and caring people who have commented here.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1347237615286932/

Thank you!

Posted on: 2016/11/30 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Baby steps - It's easier to change a neighborhood than a whole city. Of course council has ultimate authority on all of this. I feel we have a good shot if we can convince Yun and the changes are for his ward than trying to change the entire city all in one shot. There is no way Boggiano would go for this... at least not at first.

My sense is, based on what happened to the DT R-5 proposal that triggered the Plan review, that getting this to happen ahead of the Plan is a nonstarter. So it makes more sense to address it citywide in the context of the Plan review rather than try and get a Heights specific proposal into the Plan, since presumably you'd have to justify why the Heights needed it but not all the other neighborhoods at risk of BB.

I don't agree with your assumption. This has a higher likelihood of passing if a number of Heights residences, come together and plead their case to Yun to gain his support for a zoning overlay for the Heights. As you said yourself, Greenville and the Westside don't have the same development pressures that we do, so it's probably not as high as a priority for their neighborhoods.

There's definitely benefit in approaching the city about looking at this issue in the context of the Master Plan review, but again Yun can be an ally on this since he will be one of nine votes on the plan.

Posted on: 2016/11/29 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Baby steps - It's easier to change a neighborhood than a whole city. Of course council has ultimate authority on all of this. I feel we have a good shot if we can convince Yun and the changes are for his ward than trying to change the entire city all in one shot. There is no way Boggiano would go for this... at least not at first.

My sense is, based on what happened to the DT R-5 proposal that triggered the Plan review, that getting this to happen ahead of the Plan is a nonstarter. So it makes more sense to address it citywide in the context of the Plan review rather than try and get a Heights specific proposal into the Plan, since presumably you'd have to justify why the Heights needed it but not all the other neighborhoods at risk of BB.

Posted on: 2016/11/29 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
[quote]
This is why we need to have a clear message and strong support before we approach Councilman Yun.

I'm not following why you want to make this out as a Heights problem and go to Yun rather than treat it as the citywide problem that it is. The only reason there's more being built in the Heights is that it's a hotter market, but there's plenty of them in JSQ & Greenville. It only makes sense if Yun is simply the 1st councilperson you want to approach.

Does anyone know what actual influence the council has on the Master Plan process?

Posted on: 2016/11/29 19:24

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017