Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Reval - press request
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
@whoknew, what political reason made Governor Christie order the reval that was a couple decades overdue? He didn't order the one begun by the previous mayor. And the 'schlock' company was judged by several layers of NJ courts to be competent. Enjoy all the money you've saved over the years, but it's time everyone pay their fair share. A progressive like Fulop must agree, yes?

Posted on: 2018/2/20 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

farmboy wrote:
Keep in mind that those in the heights can redevelop their property as they see fit (building codes, of course, have to be complied with). A large portion of downtown is covered by easements that require historic district approval for any minor modification, refurbishment, or construction project. Taxation should drive optimal usage and downtown residents are greatly restricted in that regard (which should be noted in their tax burden).

Hands down the most random, absurd, and illogical, attempt to date to try and justify or rationalize lower taxes for DTJC properties.

Posted on: 2018/2/20 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

farmboy wrote:
Keep in mind that those in the heights can redevelop their property as they see fit (building codes, of course, have to be complied with). A large portion of downtown is covered by easements that require historic district approval for any minor modification, refurbishment, or construction project. Taxation should drive optimal usage and downtown residents are greatly restricted in that regard (which should be noted in their tax burden).

WTF are you talking about? Most of the Heights, just like most of the rest of JC, is zoned R-1, 2 family limited to 35 ft high. Many if not most of the DT properties in question exceed one or both of those parameters.

Posted on: 2018/2/20 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ras9929 wrote:
Hope no one was looking for "Fair & Balanced".

Nobody expects that from the NY Post.

Posted on: 2018/2/20 3:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/22 2:04
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/2/20 2:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/4 12:53
Group:
Registered Users
Hope no one was looking for "Fair & Balanced".

"Congratulations! The house you bought in Jersey City in the mid-?80s has increased sevenfold in value. Condolences: The city is hiking your taxes so much you?ll have to take out a new mortgage."

https://nypost.com/2018/02/19/when-gen ... aning-confiscation/Quote:

nicolegelinas wrote:
Hello -- I am writing a piece for the New York Post on the effect of revaluation on Downtown property owners who are seeing their taxes go up quite suddenly. If you would like to let me interview you (either on or off the record), please send me an e-mail at nicole@city-journal.org ASAP. Thank you. Regards, Nicole

Posted on: 2018/2/20 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Nicole, A three judge panel of the Appellate Division of the Superior Court of NJ did NOT agree that the original appraisal company was deficient in the performance of their duties. In fact, they ruled to the contrary, upholding a $1 million dollar breach of contract award to the Company made by the lower court. You can find the 38 page ruling here:

http://www.documentcloud.org/document ... html#document/p20/a357708

In part due to the gross under-taxing of many downtown properties that continued another 4 years after that reval was stopped, DT JC property values increased further. However, had that reval finished, then we would be just about due for another reval by end of this year ? assuming the City adhered to a 5-yr cycle of revals ? as it certainly should after this present debacle. Had property appraisals and taxes become unfairly distributed again over that time frame, the second reval would have taken care of that. Indeed, our fearless mayor himself has called for a second reval in short order ? a year or so from now ? so that appraisals and taxes can be adjusted again.

As you can readily appreciate Nicole, it?s an absolute mess, the kind only JC, NJ politicians could create.

Posted on: 2018/2/19 18:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/22 15:42
Group:
Registered Users

by whonew on 2018/2/19 10:31:00

I live downtown and will be greatly and adversely affected by the tax revaluation. I would like to point out a few things: the worst part of this revaluation may be the opportunity for divisiveness and easy finger-pointing. My life here was not spent in a plot to deprive other parts of the city their due. Now it's time make the tax burden as fair as feasible. Secondly, if the revaluation had been completed a few years ago by the schlock company that got the bid, it would have been far messier. I have been impressed with the effort and communication by Appraisal Systems, Inc. Thirdly, I believe that Mayor Fulop, who inherited this very old problem, was trying to replace, if at all possible, the process that is dividing the city into "winners" and "losers", with a revaluation company or system that would be fair yet avoid or minimize division. No one, anywhere, wants to lose a home that they have worked hard for, and not everyone will become rich after forced-selling. Governor Christie stepped in to rush the revaluation process for, surprise, a political wallop. This perfect storm could have been avoided. Lastly, if the prior revaluation had been completed, it would not have included the recent increase in property value in areas of the city that are not downtown. Nicole, good luck with a complex topic. I look forward to reading your summary.

Posted on: 2018/2/19 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Nicole, if you haven't got the link, please find it below for the entire wards. The full data is not there yet, so I would definitely hold on making an article on the impact on individuals if this is your intention. If your intention is to focus on the process, I believe you have material as per below.

I live in HP area for the record and yes, my taxes are going up a bit though they have already for many years - I guess I have been "planning" for the hike for some time already. But I think we need the full story across JC, not downtown only. And I can't help but notice that the individuals who are getting soaked with huge bills, especially the ones pointed out in the nj.com article, have quite a bit of land and square footage some of which could be put to good use if not already. This as compared to individuals in say Greenville or Bela whose leverage has been less doable.

Good luck finding the right balance..

http://www.asinj.com/revaluation.asp?p=current&id=359

Posted on: 2018/2/18 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Focus your story on the wanton negligence and gross irresponsibility of successive JC Administrations in not conducting a reval for almost 30 years. Heck, about 4 years ago the current mayor, Steve Fulop, actually stopped a reval that was almost done. He then spent over $8 million of JC taxpayers money attempting to defend the indefensible. Unbelievable....

And please don?t forget to highlight the complicity of the State of New Jersey in allowing this egregious situation to continue so long.

If all that isn?t enough for your story, add in the fact that as this was all going on for decades, State taxpayers funded about 2/3rds of the JC BOE budget. This year that amount is almost $500 million dollars. And all the while, JC was handing out abatement after abatement to property developers?.

To round out the details of this disaster, contact our state representatives and ask them for comment on how present efforts to make school funding equitable across the state at long last will impact state aid for JC schools?.

Mix it all up and you have one giant mess, and substantial property tax increases in the works for all areas in JC.

As I tell my friends, JC, Hudson County, and NJ have worked hard to earn their reputations.

Posted on: 2018/2/18 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, waiting to see what his new taxes will be -- will be funny if he appeals. So far, asijc.com has not listed much for the Heights (check current revaluation, go to Jersey City and scroll to bottom -- you'll see a link for "assessments" which is now a spreadsheet. Still waiting for my letter to see what the good or bad news will be.

Posted on: 2018/2/18 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
A nice tidbit would be Mayor Fulop's house on Ogden taxes pre and post reval.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Just add up the totals that the Downtown section paid in 2017 compared to what the Heights paid in that same year and you will get the picture.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 23:46
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Nicole, please realize the taxes are not going up suddenly. Downtown has known for at least 5 years that they have been substantially underassessed and taxed compared to the rest of the city. Then, because of the delay in the revaluation (canceled by Fulop, court battles etc), they were allowed to continue to underpay for yet another 5 years, while less affluent areas of the city were forced to continue to overpay to make up the shortfall. Please, please do not let people fool you into believing otherwise. They have known for a decade at least that their taxes would increase substantially. Most people figured 2% of current market values. If someone is claiming to not have known, I?d dig deep to see how true that is.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, agreed. Their has been imbalance in the valuations in this city for the past 25 years.

Posted on: 2018/2/16 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Nicole, please balance your piece with the whole picture that many people are getting reductions and why.

Posted on: 2018/2/16 2:41

Reval - press request

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/16 1:33
From New York NY
Group:
Registered Users
Hello -- I am writing a piece for the New York Post on the effect of revaluation on Downtown property owners who are seeing their taxes go up quite suddenly. If you would like to let me interview you (either on or off the record), please send me an e-mail at nicole@city-journal.org ASAP. Thank you. Regards, Nicole

Posted on: 2018/2/16 1:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017