Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Teacher Protests Disturbing Neighborhood
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
It's called collective bargaining Monroe, look it up, maybe you can learn something, oh, right, it's Monroe, never mind

Posted on: 2018/2/17 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thomash844 wrote:
I have been a JC resident and invested in Jersey City long before it was hip, happening or cool. I have also worked as a Jersey City public school teacher for 12 years, about half the time I?ve lived here. I am still at a salary on which it is increasingly difficult to continue living here. My 2018 workload is compensated with a 2009 paycheck, due to the extremely harsh increases in health benefit premiums, and with each new contract being set back on the steps of the pay scale. I have dedicated the last 12 years for the good of the children of this city. I was Teacher Of the Year in my school in 2014. At this point I feel WHAT THE HELL DO I HAVE TO LOSE. I, and others, are picketing so people like the haters on here will know we have a valid complaint. I don?t want to strike but I WILL if I?m pushed to it. With my real estate taxes about to explode and premiums skyrocketing every year what the hell am I supposed to do ? Take on ANOTHER side job?? (I already have THREE: i work before school, after school and on Saturdays). Don?t tell me to go find something that pays better?- pay me better! Don?t tell me to ?find a job I?m happier with,? because I happen to love my job.

You are dealing with a tough crowd on this forum.

From a macro perspective, if the NJ unions threw their weight behind reducing the insane healthcare costs, more state funding could be diverted to pensions and education. You cant have all 3.

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/y ... Jbs_19bs2n_001020#usgs302

Posted on: 2018/2/17 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Keep in mind for 2017 all NJ public sector unions agreed to some tweaks to their plans which kept their plan increase to 3.4%. The School Employees Health Plan Benefits Board refused-and its plan cost went up 8.4%.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The cost of health insurance for NJ teachers is 50% more than the national average, and NJ teachers contribute far less to this than the national average for teachers for their plans. It's due to the NJ teachers union gaming the political system to get a platinum plated Cadillac plan.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 18:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/26 0:48
Group:
Registered Users
My son has gone a few times with me to protests as well. When he learned why the teachers were demonstrating, he said that 'there should be a law' that prevents them from making less money each year. He made a sign that reads "hands of my teachers' money." Hopefully there will be a new, and fair, contract soon and students won't have to join their teachers in protest anymore.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 17:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/17 17:57
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Good Morning To All,

Whether you're for children taking part in important demonstrations, please feel free to checkout the link below. The link features inspiring, moving images of children accompanied by their brave parents and/or caretakers in taking a stand for what they believe to be right. You may also Google images of the recent Women's March in NYC and Washington.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1670 ... 1f2AnM:&spf=1518881452507

I'm happy to be living in a country where everyone has a voice, no matter how big or small, young or old the person, no matter how big or small the cause. I'm for the parents who choose to teach by example; they are their children's first teachers, after all.

There is nothing wrong with parents who support their teachers to bring their children along. The children are being looked-after as they 'march, cheer, hold signs (some signs made by them), shout, laugh when cars hunk, etc...'. All for only a few minutes before the start of their school day. All for their teachers who not only educate them, but also take-on the huge responsibility to care for & protect them for six (6) or more hours a day, and much more.

I know more parents would join the demonstration if they could. I have heard many express how they would join if they didn't have to rush to work. Sadly, some parents are not aware that teachers are working without a contract.

Teachers and demonstration organizers are not the ones to decide whether parents/kids join. But I'm sure if they see something of safety concern or someone breaking the law, they would alert law enforcement.

Let's support our teachers because they are deserving of it. Let's support them rain or shine, by contacting officials who can help. And if you can, walk with them. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 16:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/4 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
The kids were not just "walking and cheering". They were made to wear posters and shout out loud. Lot of people saw that on Washingotn and Grand intersection and outside Cornelia Bradford.

Just because the kids were with their parents doesnt give anyone a pass. There are parents who beat their kids as well - just because they are the parents, does it make it right? As far as using the logic of "learning from real life experience", well c'mon, you are telling that to justify pulling 4-5 years old? How many of you decided to sit in front of the kids, and told them about both the sides and then asked them "hey, so what do you think Which side is strong?"

And the teacher's union or whoever leads these protests should have said NO to including kids in these protests. Being teachers, they should have known better.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 0:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/17 17:57
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The kids 'walking & cheering' in support of their teachers at Cornelia Bradford were with their parents. Said parents have chosen to be supportive of their teachers; they know best whether to bring their children along.

Their children are enjoying each others company, while learning from a real life experience. The most important lesson being that they, too, can make a difference for the good of their community. They're learning at an early age to care and 'act'. I don't see anything wrong with that.

We have enough apathetic members in our community. It's refreshing to see that our future generation is already learning to be proactive. Kudos!

PS: Best wishes to our teachers!

Posted on: 2018/2/16 17:13

Edited by LoveMyJC on 2018/2/16 17:34:27
Edited by LoveMyJC on 2018/2/16 17:37:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Small kids protesting for teachers? Somebody call the feds.

Posted on: 2018/2/16 16:14

Re: the teacher demonstrations
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/4 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
it was sickening to see small kids being used in the demonstration in front of Cornelia Bradford... irrespective of merits of the case

Posted on: 2018/2/16 4:25

the teacher demonstrations

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/25 20:24
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Please support your local teachers. They have worked with out a contract for far too long. Their healthcare fees drain a major portion of their pay. Teachers are bringing home less and less. These are many educators with masters degrees who studied long nights to educate the youth of our city and many of whom are products of this city.

So, instead of calling the cops on them show them support. Nothing in this country was obtained with out peaceful demonstrations and protests.

But, if you do want to call the local police dept, please use the non emergency number (they will come and turn on their lights in solidarity). and please follow up with a call to 201-915-6000 and ask to be transferred to Dr. Lyles and then follow the call up to the Mayors Action Bureau. You may also follow up with an email to the people listed in the picture attached.

In addition the teachers are demonstrating with in their right and hours according to the Jersey City noise ordinance municipal code Chapter 222. Please keep in mind many of the teachers are residents and tax payers of Jersey City. Please work with them not against them or our PD and FD who give and do so much for our city and the future of our youth.

#jceastrong

Posted on: 2018/2/12 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Think you need to scroll down on your webpage because what ever wage growth the you are citing as positive appears to be completely wiped out by the Real Wage Index of -6.7% that follows.

Quote:

thomash844 wrote:

[quote]
Yvonne, don't just spout fake facts. Since 2006, wages have increased 14%. Check your facts. https://www.payscale.com/payscale-index/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/census-da ... of-us-poor-or-low-income/

Posted on: 2018/2/7 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Think you need to scroll down on your webpage because what ever wage growth the you are citing as positive appears to be completely wiped out by the Real Wage Index of -6.7% that follows.

Quote:

thomash844 wrote:

[quote]
Yvonne, don't just spout fake facts. Since 2006, wages have increased 14%. Check your facts. https://www.payscale.com/payscale-index/

Posted on: 2018/2/7 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thomash844 wrote:

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

thomash844 wrote:
I have been a JC resident and invested in Jersey City long before it was hip, happening or cool. I have also worked as a Jersey City public school teacher for 12 years, about half the time I?ve lived here. I am still at a salary on which it is increasingly difficult to continue living here. My 2018 workload is compensated with a 2009 paycheck, due to the extremely harsh increases in health benefit premiums, and with each new contract being set back on the steps of the pay scale. I have dedicated the last 12 years for the good of the children of this city. I was Teacher Of the Year in my school in 2014. At this point I feel WHAT THE HELL DO I HAVE TO LOSE. I, and others, are picketing so people like the haters on here will know we have a valid complaint. I don?t want to strike but I WILL if I?m pushed to it. With my real estate taxes about to explode and premiums skyrocketing every year what the hell am I supposed to do ? Take on ANOTHER side job?? (I already have THREE: i work before school, after school and on Saturdays). Don?t tell me to go find something that pays better?- pay me better! Don?t tell me to ?find a job I?m happier with,? because I happen to love my job.

Since 2006 until 2017, the nation's wages have not gone up, education is not the exception. People depended on Social Security have not have an increase. People depended on interests from banks have seen income go down. I watched an interview after Nancy Pelosi said the $1,000 bonus were crumbs. The person they interviewed in a diner said he did not have an increase since 2008 and was lucky to have a job. I will repeat it again, one third of Jersey City do not pay school taxes. The school unions should fight against this. The new tax abatement program gives 10% to the schools but that is future abatements. The old agreements will continue to give nothing but their children still goes to the school system.

Well, here are my facts: Social Security has not have an increase in years, there was a slight increase this year but that went to medical increase. The state of New Jersey froze pension payments in 2011 and there is no COLA increase, regular workers on the have not had an increase until Trump gave tax cuts.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/for-third ... security-increase-coming/
http://newjersey.gov/treasury/pensions/cola-2010.htm
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wage ... -during-great-depression/

Posted on: 2018/2/7 22:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

thomash844 wrote:

Since 2006 until 2017, the nation's wages have not gone up, education is not the exception. People depended on Social Security have not have an increase. People depended on interests from banks have seen income go down. I watched an interview after Nancy Pelosi said the $1,000 bonus were crumbs. The person they interviewed in a diner said he did not have an increase since 2008 and was lucky to have a job. I will repeat it again, one third of Jersey City do not pay school taxes. The school unions should fight against this. The new tax abatement program gives 10% to the schools but that is future abatements. The old agreements will continue to give nothing but their children still goes to the school system.

Posted on: 2018/2/7 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
But the abaters do pay the city and the city cuts a check to the school district out of its commingled funds which contain tax abatement $. Abatements do pay for education and other city services.

There are teachers that pay the district to work in Oklahoma. That is their take home pay does not cover their health insurance contribution/premium. Many work multiple pt jobs. When a new Walmart opens, OK school principals fear their teachers will be recruited away

Posted on: 2018/2/7 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thomash844 wrote:

Posted on: 2018/2/7 18:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/2/7 1:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/26 0:48
Group:
Registered Users
No contract for 2017-2018 and yet only in the last ten days have teachers stood in front of schools to demand a fair contract (did you know that the majority of them earn less than they did six years ago ?) At 8 am they go back in and prepare to teach their students. Without a contract, as they have done since the beginning of the school year !

Posted on: 2018/2/6 16:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/29 15:26
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
Please provide the details of this sweet contract offer...

Posted on: 2018/2/6 13:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/17 21:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Wow can you post it here?

Posted on: 2018/2/6 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe they should quit and get a job they'd be happier with. They've had a sweet contract offer dangling in front of them forever.

Posted on: 2018/2/6 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Wow protesting is disruptive? It?s almost like they want to draw attention to a certain issue. Maybe look into what they are protesting before complaining??

Posted on: 2018/2/5 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Those without tax abatements are paying into the system. In 2005, taxpayers gave the local school system around $72 million, it is now in the range of $116 million. Those families that have children in tax abated buildings are not paying their fair share which is nearly a third of the city. Even with the new proposal of ten percent of tax abatements going to the public schools, that is only new tax abatement agreements. The old ones still pay nothing. If you are in favor of the contract, make sure your building is paying school taxes and do not push your obligations off on others.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 23:36

Re: Support Your Teachers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/19 14:48
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCityTeach wrote:
Join the fight for a fair contract. Stop taking videos and complaining and go down and protest with your teachers. They'll appreciate it. Maybe instead of calling the cops on them you could come down from your ivory towers of your abated buildings and speak with them.

AMEN!

I remember when it was just crying about sirens on here. Now we're gonna cuss those whom mold the future for demanding a fair contract like they deserve.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 22:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Nope not a teacher in JC at all. Support them 100% though. Time for the Jersey City to start paying for your schools. downtown residents in particular.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 22:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City residents barely pay for the school system. Not sure what you're feeding.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 22:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No. Actually don't know who that is?

Posted on: 2018/2/5 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCityTeach wrote:
Join the fight for a fair contract. Stop taking videos and complaining and go down and protest with your teachers. They'll appreciate it. Maybe instead of calling the cops on them you could come down from your ivory towers of your abated buildings and speak with them.

Hope you are not a spokesperson for the union because you won't garner much public support with your douchey comments.

Posted on: 2018/2/5 22:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Have to assume JCityTeach is none other than Ron Greco

Posted on: 2018/2/5 19:25