Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 24 »

Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/11/13 15:27
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
What's with Appraisal System's boundary between Harsimus Cove and the Village? Isn't the border Coles Street and not Monmouth Street?

Posted on: 2018/2/13 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

NJ roads are fine. They aren't pristine, they aren't perfect, but they are fine.

Guess not.

Quote:
You mean, the 5 miles on Route 22? Or Elizabeth Ave? Or McClellan? Or do you mean 2 miles on Route 78?

The sentence prior should have made that obvious.

Quote:
And yet, somehow that totally escaped my attention the last time I was there (about 6 weeks ago).

And yet it was as true this morning as when I wrote it yesterday... as I said, you must not get out often.

Posted on: 2018/2/12 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote: NJ roads are fine.

I thought about this today as I was headed east on 78 I?m the express lanes, just before the airport. A cop was parked in the right lane, angled in a way to force everyone into the left. Just after him we?re seven (7!!) cars on the side of the road with blown out tires - the result of hitting a manhole sized hole probably ten to twelve inches deep.

Seriously?

You're trying to claim that one problem, on one highway, that obviously happened right before you got there, proves than an entire state's roads are crap? Yeah no.

Do you get out of town much?

Yep. Lots of hiking and cycling, all over northern and central NJ. I also drive a bit in NY State, as well as periodic trips outside NJ.

Quote:
If you did, you'd understand my experience was emblematic of a widespread problem. I drive 78 and 24 to and from Morristown three to five times a week....

I drive on the Turnpike, 280, 80 78, 287, as well as smaller roads. Almost all of my cycling is on back roads, sometimes county roads.

NJ roads are fine. They aren't pristine, they aren't perfect, but they are fine.

Quote:
The stretch from the airport to about Hillside is unreal.

You mean, the 5 miles on Route 22? Or Elizabeth Ave? Or McClellan? Or do you mean 2 miles on Route 78?

Quote:
24 around the Short Hills Mall has a series of holes you have to slalom around....

And yet, somehow that totally escaped my attention the last time I was there (about 6 weeks ago).

Posted on: 2018/2/12 16:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/13 22:07
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Reason Foundation's 23rd Annual Highway Report:

https://reason.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... annual_highway_report.pdf

- Capital and Bridge Disbursements per State-Controlled Mile, 2015 - NJ is 50th at $919,040 (10* national average)
- Maintenance Disbursements per State-Controlled Mile - NJ is 50th at $208,736 (9* national average)
- Administrative Disbursements per State-Controlled Mile - NJ is 48th at $63,757 (6* national average)
- Percent Rural Interstate Mileage in Poor Condition - NJ is 31st at 1.8% (slightly better than national average)
- Percent Urban Interstate Mileage in Poor Condition - NJ is 47th at 9.79% (almost twice as high as national average)
- Percentage of Rural Other Principal Arterial Mileage in Poor Condition - NJ is 47th at 6.69% (5* the national average)
- Peak Hours Spent in Congestion per Auto Commuter (in hours) - NJ is 50th at 72.53 hours (2* national average)
- Percent of Bridges in Deficient Condition - NJ is 42nd at 32.17% (50% higher than national average)

On the plus side, NJ does have:

- Fatality Rate per 100 Million Vehicle-Miles - NJ is 4th at 0.75 (national average is 1.13)
- Percent of Rural Other Principal Arterials with Narrow Lanes - NJ is 1st at 0%

So, according to these numbers, NJ has the dubious position of spending far more than anywhere else, and having some of the worst condition roads. These are possibly related, as things deteriorate it costs more to maintain. Congestion will increase due to more construction. Everybody going snail's pace in the worst congestion in the nation means that fewer pedestrian collisions are resulting in deaths (being facetious).

Posted on: 2018/2/12 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

I thought about this today as I was headed east on 78 I?m the express lanes, just before the airport. A cop was parked in the right lane, angled in a way to force everyone into the left. Just after him we?re seven (7!!) cars on the side of the road with blown out tires - the result of hitting a manhole sized hole probably ten to twelve inches deep.

Seriously?

You're trying to claim that one problem, on one highway, that obviously happened right before you got there, proves than an entire state's roads are crap? Yeah no.

Do you get out of town much? If you did, you'd understand my experience was emblematic of a widespread problem. I drive 78 and 24 to and from Morristown three to five times a week; 78 is horrific - they fill the seams every couple of weeks and it lasts a few days. The stretch from the airport to about Hillside is unreal. 24 around the Short Hills Mall has a series of holes you have to slalom around. I got a chuckle today driving past those poor folks on the side of the road, thinking about how "fine" the roads are...

More to the point, what is with your smarmy condescension? You go from zero to asshole awfully fast.

Posted on: 2018/2/12 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Seriously?

Posted on: 2018/2/11 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2018/2/11 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
I believe this was already posted somewhere on this forum.

http://jerseycity.hosted.civiclive.co ... ily%20NBHD%20Analysis.pdf

Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
also, does any one have some chart, figures indicating overall overall under/over valuation for different sections of the city?

The city released neighborhood estimates late last year

Posted on: 2018/2/11 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i wonder if landlords in the less affluent areas will be lowering rents on their tenants?

Hahahahaha

Quote:
also, does any one have some chart, figures indicating overall overall under/over valuation for different sections of the city?

You'll have to wait until all the figures are out.

Then, someone would have to map the addresses (or block numbers) to sections of the city.

The city or local media might already have that kind of database set up. If not, setting that up would be a bit... time-consuming.

Posted on: 2018/2/11 19:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/6 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
For my meeting about our sky high appraisal, I received an invaluable comps report. I am certain that this will help when I have my meeting next week. This report was provided for free. If anyone is interested, the email is tom.wgcrealty@gmail.com.

Posted on: 2018/2/11 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

The city released neighborhood estimates late last year

Posted on: 2018/2/10 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i wonder if landlords in the less affluent areas will be lowering rents on their tenants?

Posted on: 2018/2/10 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jctexan wrote:
@Terrence: Rare for someone to own up. Kudos.

Agreed. We also need to not assume our understaffed local press has the time to know all, we need to help them understand if we can, even if we aren't ourselves activists.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jctexan wrote:
@Terrence: Rare for someone to own up. Kudos. I?ll be a loyal reader from now on.

@Bodipooh and Brewster: Well said, I?ve been getting all riled up on other threads on NextDoor trying to verbalize the injustice and downright absurdity of all this. Thank you for the elegant argument.

JCTexan, I have been in the NextDoor trenches with you. There is no getting through to those that refuse to listen. This reval was overdue not just because it is truly legally overdue, but mostly because of the tax unfairness that kept poor residents subsidizing richer ones.

And, agreed about Terrence. At least he has owned up about the matter and the lack of coverage it received. I wasn't even trying to chastise him, but rather point out why the JJ being misinformed or MIA on this matter was actually understandable seeing how most people were just as lost.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 22:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
@Terrence: Rare for someone to own up. Kudos. I?ll be a loyal reader from now on.

@Bodipooh and Brewster: Well said, I?ve been getting all riled up on other threads on NextDoor trying to verbalize the injustice and downright absurdity of all this. Thank you for the elegant argument.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Learn more about Jersey City reval at upcoming meetings

Residents who want to learn more about Jersey City's revaluation, or sound off about their proposed new assessments, can visit a handful of neighborhood meetings in upcoming weeks.

Appraisal Systems, the company conducting the long-delayed reval, has started issuing waves of new assessments for properties citywide. So far residents Downtown, in and near Society Hill and in portions of Journal Square and the Heights have received new assessments.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _at_upcoming_meeting.html

Posted on: 2018/2/9 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Terrence, While I do understand how difficult the news game is today with low budgets & staffing (FIL was a paper publisher & journalism school prof), the fact is the JJ was very late to this game.

You're right, we were and I was. I wasn't arguing that point.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Terrence, While I do understand how difficult the news game is today with low budgets & staffing (FIL was a paper publisher & journalism school prof), the fact is the JJ was very late to this game. In March of 2015 we had a PM exchange where you professed complete ignorance of the fairness aspect and I sent you a long explanation.

The system failed from top to bottom. When the ratio fell below the legal line of 80% many years ago SOMEBODY should have been sounding the alarm, the State, County, Press. Somebody. There should have been a Mayoral Candidate running on a platform including tax fairness. There was not. Elected officials and community leaders of all the other wards should have been telling their residents to appeal their high taxes. They did not.

How did a race and class injustice like this go ignored for so long? Sadly, every leader who thought the issue could be avoided till they were out of office was right up until very recently.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
So, the JJ being misinformed or ignorant is just par for the course, apparently.

Good afternoon! We haven't actually published any interviews yet with people talking about their new assessments, so we don't have any stories with people expressing outrage about them. But we have written stories for years that reference JC's unequal taxation. It's come up in our coverage of the reval breach-of-contract trial, Jersey City Together's launch in 2016 where the mayor was put on the spot over how the delay has hurt property owners outside the Downtown, when the state came in and forced the reval, etc. The impact of the reval on neighborhoods where homeowners will see decreases will be a part of our reval coverage as those property owners get their new assessments.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Sully wrote:
I'm sure Terrance and his editors at the JJ will parse all that data with a keen eye, and give us the real deal in meaningful context.

Oh, you mean the way they've been all over this since it was first delayed in 98, right? Less than 3 years ago he had not the slightest clue about this issue and it's fairness aspect.

Seemingly everyone facing an increase is purposefully ignoring the fairness aspect and crying either unfair taxation (my taxes are increasing and I am now financing the rest of JC!) or poverty (woe me, I am sitting on a multimillion dollar property and you expect me to pay my fair share?) or abuse through misinformation (I didnt know about this reval, and no one told me it would be this bad, ergo why should I have to pay?)

So, the JJ being misinformed or ignorant is just par for the course, apparently.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sully wrote:
I'm sure Terrance and his editors at the JJ will parse all that data with a keen eye, and give us the real deal in meaningful context.

Oh, you mean the way they've been all over this since it was first delayed in 98, right? Less than 3 years ago he had not the slightest clue about this issue and it's fairness aspect.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 3:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
I just took a look at the tax history for a few of these "biggest drop" properties, and it appears that some of them might be outliers, not apples-to-apples cases to demonstrate what's actually going on with the re-val.

For example, look at the top address on the list, 367 First St. This is a property that has undergone a lot of construction the last few years, you may recognize it:
Google Maps

Here's the recent tax history:
http://taxes.cityofjerseycity.com/ViewPay?accountNumber=656655

There's a lot going on there - I'm thinking the drop from $67k taxes to $44k taxes probably not related to the re-val.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dcourts1984 wrote:
Last house on there. Facing Van Vorst, on market for $3mm with a $41k tax bill (previously $16k). Who on earth is going to pony up for such a place??

No one, apparently. They're asking way too much for it, which is why it's sat on the market for almost 5 months.

The city appraised it at $2.5m. Only 3 properties appraised so far were at or above $3m.

Posted on: 2018/2/9 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why they didn't post the 10 properties with the biggest tax cuts. Hmmmmm.

That's next. Right now the properties with the biggest tax cuts are actually all Downtown too.

Well, I'm not holding my breath.

For those who don't want to wait:

367 FIRST ST. -23,654.28
323 FOURTH ST. -20,354.70
249 GROVE ST. -19,424.82
401 THIRD ST. -14,106.24
399 THIRD ST. -14,106.24
240 SECOND STREET -12,279.06
351 FIFTH ST. -11,129.58
264 COLUMBUS DR. -10,400.46
86 SUSSEX ST. -9,596.04
385 FIRST ST. -9,334.98

Posted on: 2018/2/9 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i'm hoping one of those $2 million houses fall to $1.37 million. Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Quote:

dcourts1984 wrote:
Last house on there. Facing Van Vorst, on market for $3mm with a $41k tax bill (previously $16k). Who on earth is going to pony up for such a place?? The astronomical values of high end places like this one along with complete gut jobs on the market for $1mm downtown will have to be corrected down to realistic levels...fast.

Don't worry about that. The real estate sharks are in the water already. They sense panic and feed on it. There are some beautiful areas in JC that NYC people with real money will gobble up.

Posted on: 2018/2/8 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dcourts1984 wrote:
Last house on there. Facing Van Vorst, on market for $3mm with a $41k tax bill (previously $16k). Who on earth is going to pony up for such a place?? The astronomical values of high end places like this one along with complete gut jobs on the market for $1mm downtown will have to be corrected down to realistic levels...fast.

Don't worry about that. The real estate sharks are in the water already. They sense panic and feed on it. There are some beautiful areas in JC that NYC people with real money will gobble up.

Posted on: 2018/2/8 18:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/1 1:16
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/2/8 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why they didn't post the 10 properties with the biggest tax cuts. Hmmmmm.

That's next. Right now the properties with the biggest tax cuts are actually all Downtown too.

Posted on: 2018/2/8 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
I've been living in a tax abated 2 bedroom 2 bath condo in downtown for 10 years. I've been paying $10.5k per year in property taxes for those 10 years. Turns out I was paying in many instances more than twice the amount that many of my fellow neighbors who are in non-tax abated properties that are currently valued at $1m or more were paying.
It's a complete fallacy to blanketly say that tax abated properties were paying less taxes than non-tax abated properties by comparison.

A fair point, pre reval. But doesn't this mean you're still paying close to $10k post reval at a similar valuation of your neighbors while your neighbors will pay close to $30k post reval? If I have that correct, that's still messed up, just in reverse.

And to someone's earlier point, there is no sympathy for DTJC residents paying the proper tax on million dollar homes while underpaying for many years.

Remember, 1.6% is still one of the lowest rates in the entire state! All the while still making the state subsidize 2/3 of the JC school system. That's a pretty solid deal in my view.

Yes you are correct about the pre-reval vs. post-real flip in the who-is-benefiting category. My re-val is a little more than half-way over. So the way I look at it I'm was getting screwed in comparison to many of my neighbors during the first half and I'm doing the screwing in the second half. Of course when my abatement is over then I'm in the same boat as my neighbors.

In the end though I just wanted to point out that tax abated properties do pay a lot in property taxes. At least I am. It's certainly not nothing.

Posted on: 2018/2/8 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The last property is a gem with parking. Seems high but I am not too surprised..

Posted on: 2018/2/8 2:23

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 24 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017