Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: NJ Rates Your Public Schools - What's Your PS Score?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/11 2:23
Group:
Registered Users
It?s not that Lccs is not diverse, it just has an overwhelming more white and Asian students than the public schools do.The test scores and great schools ratings used to be higher because they were heavily based on overall test scores. The adjusted formulas look more at how specific students grow throughout the year, and how minority communities test. According to great schools black children at LCCS are far underperforming those in the state and in the Jersey City public schools. For many years LCCS parents and advocates have been claiming that LCCS has been outperforming Jersey City Public Schools but as the public schools improve and the measurements become better it?s clear that is not true. Many public schools including 16, 5, 27, and 28 are clearly outperforming Lccs when it comes to educating diverse communities. All four of those schools have seen recent population changes but the academic infrastructure has been in place for years. If you want your child to go to LCCS to get a more progressive experience that?s legit but the days of saying the charters are in any way outperforming the public schools is done, with the exception of soaring heights. My issue is that many LCCS parents tout diversity and progressive values while doing the unprogressive act of opting out of a truly diverse school system that needs motivated parents to improve. Yes some public schools are pretty tough but I promise you ten or twenty involved families can turn a school around. I?m also tired of gentrifying parents particularly those from LCCS who actively tried to convince me that I shouldn?t send my son to MS 4 AEP
Because ?those kids? that are not in AEP are very rough. ?Those kids? are part of our community and what benefit does gentrification do for our city if people continue the divisive rhetoric that promotes school segregation.

Posted on: 2018/1/27 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My college senior engineering student still talks about Ms. B.

Posted on: 2018/1/26 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Naturally the kids at MS4 and AEP are more prepared. Those kids are going from magnet school to magnet school. The teachers can teach the middle school kids at a higher level because of the lack of academic diversity. All of those kids are performing at a higher level.

According to my son, while they were a year ahead in math, they were less well prepared for science than Ms B's students from LCCS. But overall, as you say, they're magnet middle schools, so comparisons to a lottery charter school are unfair.

Posted on: 2018/1/26 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Naturally the kids at MS4 and AEP are more prepared. Those kids are going from magnet school to magnet school. The teachers can teach the middle school kids at a higher level because of the lack of academic diversity. All of those kids are performing at a higher level.

I am puzzled at the comment about LCCS and lack of diversity. I guess it has changed a lot since my boys were there. But the lottery is the lottery, no?

Posted on: 2018/1/26 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ecinjc wrote:
Traditionally McNair teachers say that the students coming out of the academic public middle schools are better prepared than the LCCS students. Just an FYI. Most of the kids from Academy One and AEP at MS 4 seem to make the McNair transition pretty easily.

No doubt, they resemble the higher pressure environment of McNair, and they are a year ahead in math. Were we to do it again we'd definitely be more tempted by MS4 than we were.

T-Bird, glad to hear your kid is doing well, and I'm sure a gifted kid will learn in any decent environment, but IMO what makes a great school is more the students than the teachers or facilities. My son was simply not impressed with the number of suburban meatheads at Prep to play sports, nor by the kids he knew selecting to go there. Sure, there are kids there on academic scholarships, some minority, but between LCCS and McNair, the diversity my kids have experienced is on another level.

Posted on: 2018/1/26 19:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You can tell more from the new ratings. It?s easier to get good test scores from demographically favorable groups. If your students are growing every year and you are making progress with all demographic groups the students will be well prepared academically for high school. Traditionally McNair teachers say that the students coming out of the academic public middle schools are better prepared than the LCCS students. Just an FYI. Most of the kids from Academy One and AEP at MS 4 seem to make the McNair transition pretty easily.

Posted on: 2018/1/26 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

We've heard that exact story a number of times! My son actually had a full scholarship to Prep, but chose McNair for it's better academics. He's doing very well in a pre-med curriculum, McNair did an excellent job preparing him.

It's funny - you've made that comment in the past (McNair's better academics). There is no doubt McNair is an excellent high school - but it's almost as though you feel the need to reassure yourself when you say that.

Prep's mission is somewhat different - it takes in some kids who aren't at the McNair end of the academic spectrum as part of its social mission. It also takes in a lot of kids who are McNair level academically.

Ironically, my son is doing very well in a pre-med curriculum (molecular biology). Prep did an excellent job preparing him.

Posted on: 2018/1/26 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ecinjc wrote:
LCCS dropped on great schools because the ratings were adjusted to take into account things like diversity and growth.

That's interesting, but would drive me batshit if what I wanted to know was how well the school would prepare my kid for HS!

Posted on: 2018/1/26 17:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
LCCS dropped on great schools because the ratings were adjusted to take into account things like diversity and growth. Since LCCS serves a different population than district school ( ie more whites and Asians) their ratings were always higher. Most schools that previously had 10s on great schools weren?t integrated and so they wisely realized it was an engine for school segregation. Now many JC elementary schools have a higher ranking than LCCS because they are making more progress with diverse students. One charter school that did quite well was soaring heights but we don?t see the new parents flocking toward that lottery. Why not? I think we all need to be aware that these school segregation issues are real and pressing and it?s economic segregation as well as racial.

Posted on: 2018/1/26 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
When my boys were choosing between McNair and St. Peters, the spiel was you can go to Prep if you want but it cuts into our ability to put money away for the BIG TICKET. They chose McNair.

We've heard that exact story a number of times! My son actually had a full scholarship to Prep, but chose McNair for it's better academics. He's doing very well in a pre-med curriculum, McNair did an excellent job preparing him.

Another thing for parents: don't believe the "sports" hype!! None of the kids my son club fenced with till HS got scholarships of any kind!!! Some extraordinary fencers older than them did, but that's rare. You're MUCH better off working on grades and scores for a merit scholarship.

Robin, I hear Germany is the best deal for foreigners. Too bad they don't teach German at our schools!

Posted on: 2018/1/26 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
really heartening to see Infinity's score of 90, placing it in the 98th percentile and Liberty, which is not a magnet school with a score of 82, placing it in the 90th percentile

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
By Adam Clark and Carla Astudillo
NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

In a trendy but controversial new rating system, New Jersey education officials have for the first time assigned a score of 1 to 100 to each of the state's more than 2,000 public schools.

But if you missed the score in the state's release of annual school report cards this month, you're not alone.

That's because they were excluded from the summary reports the state encourages parents to view online, and were instead placed more than 20 pages deep into each school's detailed report. They combine standardized test results, graduation rates and chronic absenteeism.

Among the worst-rated schools was Trenton's Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School, which scored a 1. Among the best schools was Jersey's City's McNair High School, which received a 97 out of 100.

More

Some Highlights (these are X/100 scores)

Cornelia F. Bradford School 78

Rafael De J. Cordero School 42

Christa McAuliffe School 65

Dr. Michael Conti School 52

Explore 2000 Middle School 30

Frank R Conwell School 32

Dr Ronald McNair High School 97

William L Dickinson High School 18

Infinity Institute 90

Jersey City Global CS 84

Jersey City Community Charter School 12

Jersey City Golden Door Charter School 51

Posted on: 2018/1/26 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If you have a connection with another country, may be worth considering that option for college.

My loosely-formed plan is to send my daughter to University back home in England. Unfortunately, despite her and me having British passports, we will have to pay foreign student rate in England as I have been in USA so long and am now tax domiciled here.

However, even the foreign student rates at UK Universities are considerably lower than those for USA colleges.

I know a few other ex-pat families planning similar.

Robin.

Posted on: 2018/1/26 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Not to give you premature palpitations, but my son is now a college freshman, and the whole college cost scene is utterly out of control. You'd be wise to consider saving that money for later if you can. We previously thought we'd not be full sticker, but no one was giving us any financial aid at all. And even Rutgers is like $32k now to live on campus. Some private schools are now over $70k!

We're in the same boat - my oldest started college this year and the younger one is close behind. The most surprising thing to me has been how little merit money there is at the vast majority of schools. You read the stories and hear the anecdotes about "no one pays full price" - I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who isn't paying full price. Endowments keep growing, tuition keeps going up with no relief for the middle and upper-middle class. (And like our geographically unfair tax system, the financial cutoffs for aid don't consider regional differences in cost of living - so the large coastal metropolitan regions get screwed yet again...)

I'm less optimistic than MDM about a near-term solution for the student debt problem; colleges and universities have embraced the full-fare paying foreign student, of which there seems to be an almost endless supply. As long as the supply of students is there, what incentive do schools really have to address the problem? I suppose at private schools that shouldn't necessarily be an issue, but it seems outside the mission of state schools to prioritize foreign national students over residents. It's a real problem on the West Coast - acceptance for resident high school grads into UW and the UC system has become extraordinarily difficult.

Posted on: 2018/1/26 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
$10k from your 529 used for private school is just that much less you will have for college. It's a nice little dodge for the rich but does nothing for most people.

When my boys were choosing between McNair and St. Peters, the spiel was you can go to Prep if you want but it cuts into our ability to put money away for the BIG TICKET. They chose McNair.

Posted on: 2018/1/26 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Believe me.. I know. Though I suspect student debt + useless degrees are going to come to a head sometime in the not too distant future.

One pet theory of mine is as the middle class people who would have gone to elite private universities in decades past are no longer able to get in, or pay for it if they do, the expectations in the fields that have sought such degrees in the past will change, and high functioning kids who went to flagship state schools will not be seen as "lesser" prospects.

I'm sure that most of the people I know of my generation who went to elite schools would not get in today, back then being from the Midwest counted as diversity at the Ivies!!

Posted on: 2018/1/26 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Not to give you premature palpitations, but my son is now a college freshman, and the whole college cost scene is utterly out of control.

Believe me.. I know. Though I suspect student debt + useless degrees are going to come to a head sometime in the not too distant future. College when my kid gets of age might be completely different from how it is today. Still saving money to pay for whatever the future brings...

I plan to not use the 529 for private school if I can avoid it... but its nice to have investments growing tax free that you can draw on, in case you find yourself short of $$$ when the tuition bill comes due. I opened up a 529 in NY to take advantage of the state deduction. NJ's fees are too high for their actively managed plans that in the end, don't beat index fund.

Posted on: 2018/1/26 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
according the Federal Government, you can now use up to $10k a year from a 529 Plan to pay for private school tuition (State laws might not allow it though). So at least saving for the tuition costs got a little easier.

Not to give you premature palpitations, but my son is now a college freshman, and the whole college cost scene is utterly out of control. You'd be wise to consider saving that money for later if you can. We previously thought we'd not be full sticker, but no one was giving us any financial aid at all. And even Rutgers is like $32k now to live on campus. Some private schools are now over $70k!

If your home is reader and learning friendly, and your kid is on the ball, LCCS (and presumably the other good charters) can provide a great prep for getting into the AEP middle schools and/or a competitive HS. Very few of the kids in my children's LCCS classes who came from educated, middle class homes did not get into one of magnet high schools. And it was usually obviously some emotional or developmental reason why.

Posted on: 2018/1/25 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Actually, now that LCCS has pre-k it's best to apply for that if you want to get in for k-8. I would not go much by Greatschools rating, some of the comments are bizarre. There's been some hysteria from disgruntled parents who didn't like some changes made over the last few years, but my kids got a great preparation for the rigors of McNair, better than the AEP programs in science at least. I'd talk to some current parents if I were you.

A friend of mine wife helped found LCCS and in the past, the students seem to exceed the state average on tests. So I put it on the list of potential schools. I try not to pay attention to the comments that much because unless there is a large number of them, most of the comments will be from someone who has an axe to grind.

I know LCCS a few years ago had over 1,000 applicants for something like 35 openings. I can see getting in early is important.

If I have to go private, I am looking at multiple Montessori schools in downtown, World of ABC, and the Embankment school (info available on Embankment is pretty minimal). Private is expensive though. At least according the Federal Government, you can now use up to $10k a year from a 529 Plan to pay for private school tuition (State laws might not allow it though). So at least saving for the tuition costs got a little easier.

Posted on: 2018/1/25 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I looked it up via the link you posted. LCCC's rating also dropped dramatically at the Greatschools.org website.

I have a few years yet before I have to find a school, but I figured it's never too early to do some research and budgeting (if I go private).

Actually, now that LCCS has pre-k it's best to apply for that if you want to get in for k-8. I would not go much by Greatschools rating, some of the comments are bizarre. There's been some hysteria from disgruntled parents who didn't like some changes made over the last few years, but my kids got a great preparation for the rigors of McNair, better than the AEP programs in science at least. I'd talk to some current parents if I were you.

Posted on: 2018/1/25 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I didn't list LCCC. Perhaps you have that confused with the other schools I noted?

I looked it up via the link you posted. LCCC's rating also dropped dramatically at the Greatschools.org website.

I have a few years yet before I have to find a school, but I figured it's never too early to do some research and budgeting (if I go private).

Posted on: 2018/1/25 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I noticed Learning Community Charter has dropped in rankings. Something gone wrong with the school?

Apparently a typo on the part of Jerseymom, on the link the score is 62.8, still low IMO, but I no longer have a kid there.

I didn't list LCCC. Perhaps you have that confused with the other schools I noted?

Posted on: 2018/1/25 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I noticed Learning Community Charter has dropped in rankings. Something gone wrong with the school?

Apparently a typo on the part of Jerseymom, on the link the score is 62.8, still low IMO, but I no longer have a kid there.

Posted on: 2018/1/25 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/1/24 23:13

NJ Rates Your Public Schools - What's Your PS Score?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Adam Clark and Carla Astudillo
NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

In a trendy but controversial new rating system, New Jersey education officials have for the first time assigned a score of 1 to 100 to each of the state's more than 2,000 public schools.

But if you missed the score in the state's release of annual school report cards this month, you're not alone.

That's because they were excluded from the summary reports the state encourages parents to view online, and were instead placed more than 20 pages deep into each school's detailed report. They combine standardized test results, graduation rates and chronic absenteeism.

Among the worst-rated schools was Trenton's Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School, which scored a 1. Among the best schools was Jersey's City's McNair High School, which received a 97 out of 100.

More

Some Highlights (these are X/100 scores)

Cornelia F. Bradford School 78

Rafael De J. Cordero School 42

Christa McAuliffe School 65

Dr. Michael Conti School 52

Explore 2000 Middle School 30

Frank R Conwell School 32

Dr Ronald McNair High School 97

William L Dickinson High School 18

Infinity Institute 90

Jersey City Global CS 84

Jersey City Community Charter School 12

Jersey City Golden Door Charter School 51